My first time Dming.

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This will be my first time Dming. So far this is the only part of the story that I have.

Welcome to the The Green Tankard Tavern.
Where are story begins.
For whatever reasons it may be you have all found your selfs here in loundwater.
All that you can be sure of is that you were invited rooms paid for meals serverved and gear handed to you by the hardy people of The Green Tankard Tavern.
The note that you were all givin reads "You do not know me but my dear adventure I need your help for you hold a skills that only you posses you hold knowledge that can not be matched in then events that will partake in the near future I will pay you handsomely for your time"
If you accept or even if you don't place come to loudwater I have paid for you to stay you will have a room free meals and all the adventuring gear you will need.
Please make your way to Loudwater's "The Green tankard Tavern.
Now as you all sit at different tables for your morning meal one of the servents hands you a note. The note reads "Please make your way to room five" "out falls a key
"Room five"
Please please sit and let me tell you a story
A while back I had something very powerfull taken from well in fact I had three very powerfull things taken from me for when I was of this world I travled thousands of miles seen many a night and after 64 years I found what I was looking for the soul reason of my Existence.
The first Is a longsword called Durindana
The seconed is a Heavy steel shield called Quickspur's Ally
And the third is called Wargird's Armor its a breastplate.
I will pay each of you a sum of 500 thousand gold.
The first place you should look is Chavyondat a town on the far east on coast this is where you will start. Now how do I know this is where you should start "He gets up and drags out a man from the closet" This is the only one I could capture before he and his uneducated friends stole my life! The only thing I could get out of him before I severed his spine was that a man named  Zolin hired them in the city of Chavyondat.

"I have a few encounters for fights and I'll be allowing my players to pick the route to travel so the next time we play I will have more places and events for them to do" I'm looking for some pointers and some ideas.
Generic and Over-the-Top.  Personally if you are gonna go with cheese go with cheese all the way.  Make the roads lined with cheese and mounds of it piled high on the wayside.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Generic and Over-the-Top.  Personally if you are gonna go with cheese go with cheese all the way.  Make the roads lined with cheese and mounds of it piled high on the wayside.

I don't understand I didn't mention anything about cheese...
"I have a few encounters for fights and I'll be allowing my players to pick the route to travel so the next time we play I will have more places and events for them to do" I'm looking for some pointers and some ideas.

Sounds good. Don't hesitate to ask for direct feedback from your players regarding what they would like to have their characters encounter. Listen to, accept, and add on to their suggestions.

Good luck.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Sounds good. Don't hesitate to ask for direct feedback from your players regarding what they would like to have their characters encounter. Listen to, accept, and add on to their suggestions.

Good luck.

Thank you.

Two of them have been playing D&D for over 15 years so Ill be listening to their input very closely
Ideas just off the top of my head -

• Once this man gets all his stuff back have it give him back his true powers, he turns into a devil/demon/death knight. Kind of generic as well but could come as a surprise to people not paying attention.

• Have something odd happen to one of the object. For example the sword was broken after it was taken. The hilt and part of the blade is in one section. The rest of the blade could be stuck in a monster.

• After all the objects have been collected, as they PCs are going back to deliver them, have the PCs get hit by a powerful Theives Guild. They not only steal the objects, but most of everything else the PCs have picked up along the way.

• After they leave have another person show up and offer to pay them just as much to get the items and not give it back to this guy.

The trick is you have just sent the PCs on a fetch quest, and in general they are a good way to start things off, but you need some twists along the way or they will grow bored quickly.  Random plot twists will be a nice change of pace.

• Once this man gets all his stuff back have it give him back his true powers, he turns into a devil/demon/death knight. Kind of generic as well but could come as a surprise to people not paying attention.

• Have something odd happen to one of the object. For example the sword was broken after it was taken. The hilt and part of the blade is in one section. The rest of the blade could be stuck in a monster.

• After all the objects have been collected, as they PCs are going back to deliver them, have the PCs get hit by a powerful Theives Guild. They not only steal the objects, but most of everything else the PCs have picked up along the way.

• After they leave have another person show up and offer to pay them just as much to get the items and not give it back to this guy.

The trick is you have just sent the PCs on a fetch quest, and in general they are a good way to start things off, but you need some twists along the way or they will grow bored quickly.  Random plot twists will be a nice change of pace.

Yeah I was thinking that the three items would be with the "Main baddies generals" I'm also thinking that when they do return all of the items to the man who hired are heroes that he would become a Elder evil.

I'm still trying to figure this all out >< harder then I thought.

Also I will carefully consider the ideas you gave me for my story.

Thank you.
This will be my first time Dming. So far this is the only part of the story that I have.

Where are story begins.
For whatever reasons it may be you have all found your selfs here in loundwater.
All that you can be sure of is that you were invited rooms paid for meals serverved and gear handed to you by the hardy people of The Green Tankard Tavern.
The note that you were all givin reads "You do not know me but my dear adventure I need your help for you hold a skills that only you posses you hold knowledge that can not be matched in then events that will partake in the near future I will pay you handsomely for your time"
If you accept or even if you don't place come to loudwater I have paid for you to stay you will have a room free meals and all the adventuring gear you will need.
Now as you all sit at different tables for your morning meal one of the servents hands you a note. The note reads "Please make your way to room five" "out falls a key
"Room five"
A while back I had something very powerfull taken from well in fact I had three very powerfull things taken from me for when I was of this world I travled thousands of miles seen many a night and after 64 years I found what I was looking for the soul reason of my Existence.
I will pay each of you a sum of 500 thousand gold.
The first place you should look is Chavyondat a town on the far east on coast this is where you will start. Now how do I know this is where you should start "He gets up and drags out a man from the closet" This is the only one I could capture before he and his uneducated friends stole my life! The only thing I could get out of him before I severed his spine was that a man named  Zolin hired them in the city of Chavyondat.

Nice extra ideas.Listen my opinion if you like ,since i m playing for 15 years or more.When i was reading the story I was like yes yes what's gonna happen when the players got the keys .I was so anxious and looking forward to listen but then i got bored when i listened that an old guy was looking for his weapons.I'm not saying this to judge you I'm saying that how the old players you have in your party will think.Try making the main character a little more mysterious and dark.Also change or add some more unique items that will make your players want to have them for them if they don t return them back.For example if you have a thief in your party add a dagger or if you have a mage add an orb,sphere or something.Something that will make them having it you know what i mean.And last thing i would add is to make the main character strong but for some reason his power was in these items so you add a little mystery.

I applaud your supportive and constructive criticism.

To the OP:
One thing I always like to have up my sleeve are a variety of mundane creatures/monsters with simple stat blocks. This gives me some wiggle room if my players come off the rails during an adventure.

"What, we're supposed to go to Luthandel to overthrow the Lord Ruler? But this cave over here is so shiny!"

It can also help to have a named NPC or two that somehow relates to the story and the random encounters. That way even wondering off into the woods to search for blackberries can make them feel like they're still interacting in ways you were ready for!

Good luck, and have fun!

I applaud your supportive and constructive criticism.

To the OP:
One thing I always like to have up my sleeve are a variety of mundane creatures/monsters with simple stat blocks. This gives me some wiggle room if my players come off the rails during an adventure.

"What, we're supposed to go to Luthandel to overthrow the Lord Ruler? But this cave over here is so shiny!"

It can also help to have a named NPC or two that somehow relates to the story and the random encounters. That way even wondering off into the woods to search for blackberries can make them feel like they're still interacting in ways you were ready for!

Good luck, and have fun!

I wasn't kidding at all, that was completely serious.  If he is gonna go kinda-hokey and cheesy with it he should go all out.  I've played in those types of games before and they are awesome.  I know myself I just don't have the ability to run one.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This gives me some wiggle room if my players come off the rails during an adventure.

Rails are bad. Mmmkay?

As a new DM, your players should be willing to ride the train for a few sessions while you get the hang of things, but you have to be looking and planning and working toward the day when the rails are gone. The sooner that day comes, the happier the players (particularly the old-timers) will be.

Unless you have some really oddball group that likes to ride rails... 
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.

Honestly I thought rails were super annoying as well until I played with a DM that took all the really bad stereotypes and used them tongue-in-cheek to make a great game.

Quotes from said game:
"I'm sorry, those walls are made of DM reinforced stone.  Its like normal stone only worthless and indestructible."

"That would have been an excellent plan, the Narrator says, except you thought of it after you left the castle.  Now on the road to the next town you find a gnome floating above the trail.  Apparently someone has tied ballloons to a giant yellow '!' over his head."

"Sorry, you attacked the boss before his monologue finished and you were unable to build up any climactic action.  You are all Dazed until the end of his monologue.  Also, the ground is made of lava."

Show
I started one campaign with a hastily thrown together adventure called "The Wrong Army." Player characters awoke on a battlefield with no memory of why they were there, other than there had been a huge battle and somehow they were overlooked in the aftermath. They could tell two large forces had moved away from carnage, and I asked which one they wanted to follow.

Trick was, whichever path they followed, it was the wrong army.

It was all sorts of railroady goodness, and the players loved it. There was a series of random encounters along the way and the players were encouraged to fill in their stories as they went, as their "memories returned." When they finally found the enemy force occupying an abandoned and haunted keep, it changed into a running fight through the hallways with the enemy soldiers and the ghosts trying to kill all of them.

We played that campaign for more than a year, just kind of going whatever direction everyone wanted. It was a lot of fun.

Honestly I thought rails were super annoying as well until I played with a DM that took all the really bad stereotypes and used them tongue-in-cheek to make a great game.

Quotes from said game:
"I'm sorry, those walls are made of DM reinforced stone.  Its like normal stone only worthless and indestructible."

"That would have been an excellent plan, the Narrator says, except you thought of it after you left the castle.  Now on the road to the next town you find a gnome floating above the trail.  Apparently someone has tied ballloons to a giant yellow '!' over his head."

"Sorry, you attacked the boss before his monologue finished and you were unable to build up any climactic action.  You are all Dazed until the end of his monologue.  Also, the ground is made of lava."

I'm going to agree with Matyr. That is all sorts of awesome.

I playtested a game called Magical Land of Yeld that was based loosely on 8-bit games. When monsters died they dropped treasure chests. The first PC to reach the chest got the item inside and spent one action holding it above their head while the music swelled. I think one player got a cherry tart, another got a fishing pole. While fighting giant mechanical beasts called Whirr-Clicks. It was awesome.

This gives me some wiggle room if my players come off the rails during an adventure.

Rails are bad. Mmmkay?

As a new DM, your players should be willing to ride the train for a few sessions while you get the hang of things, but you have to be looking and planning and working toward the day when the rails are gone. The sooner that day comes, the happier the players (particularly the old-timers) will be.

I absolutely agree. Which is why I develop some lightly planned encounters so when my players start wandering off, I have content ready to give them that helps progress the story.
Thank you all for your ideas and help.

I'll be filming the first few sessions as well and ill post them up on the site.

Rails are bad. Mmmkay?

I absolutely agree. Which is why I develop some lightly planned encounters so when my players start wandering off, I have content ready to give them that helps progress the story.

Yeah I have some monsters that I was planning on them fighting but didn't really plan on them running off >< I'll get to writing out some baddies for them to have those random encounters.

I do know there first mini boss will be "Black pudding" The gelatinous cube lol

If he has so much money, please answer a few questions I would have a player.

1. Why shouldn't I kill him and take it or kill him and search for it? (If the answer is because he could beat me up, why is he hiring me instead of doing this himself?)

2. With that much money, why can't he hire someone better than me to get it?

3. What if I don't care about cash? Money tends to make a poor reward for a DND game, because you can't talk about it later. "Remember that time I got a billion gold" vs "Remember how awesome it was when we _____".

Answers to those questions will flesh your game out a lot.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

Iv changed up the story a little bit trying to add some supprise and off beat Adventure.

Where are story begins.
If you accept or even if you don't please come to loudwater I have paid for you to stay you will have a room free and free meals please come and listin to what a old man has to say It will be worth your wildist dreams.
"Room five"
I will reward you all very handsomely'Handsomely indead.
But before you go could you go see a man named Curuvar the Brazen he will magicaly port you to Chavyondat he should be in the libary probaly down in the celler part.
"Now as you make your way to the libary you here a loud crash and screem as you all make your way inside you see that Curuvar has been vilently attacked and tied up.
"Curuvar" Curuvar immediately yells Thave taken Lady Moonfire those damn uneducated Orcs! What the hell are you staring at cut me free and chase after them you have to save her!
Spot check dc 5 you don't seem to find anything of importance to search.
Spot check dc 10 You see what appears to be a footprints leading into a book case.
Search dc 5 "Ba there just ****ing books not like anything unusual.
Dc 10 "You pull down a book and out slides a passage.
Down in the passage narrow passage you can see that its being lit with magic lights. There is a pathleading in in opposit directions from eachother.
Listen: Dc 15 You can hear the grunts of a orc from bothsides of the path.
Spot: DC 15 "Left You see what appers to be a leaver hanging on the far side of the wall.
Spot: DC 15 "right you can see a shadow of what appereas to be a larg Orc and two other smaller size shadows.
If player go's LEFT they would find that the path is blocked by a larg gate and a leaver on the wall to the left of it. "If player pulls leaver The gate brakes away from the stone wall and slams down in to the floor alerting any thing that is in its vicinity. "Encounter Orcs.
If play go's RIGHT player has a chance of Attack of Opportunity on Orc's.
After battle player walk in to a room thats about 20x30 They see a chest in the middle of the floor on a raised section.
Players approach the chest the floor collapses "Roll Reflex save Dc 10: player takes 1d6 of dmg" Roll Reflex save dc 15 player lands on there feet taking no dmg.

Quotes from said game:

That sounds absolutely hilarious and I wish I was the kind of DM that could run something like that for longer than two sessions. (I have a bend towards the dramatic, which can be a hinderance at times.)

And my current group loves to ride the rails. Well, either that or they hate making decisions, one of the two. But regardless, they enjoy following the story I plan out, primarily providing dialog while I provide the 'right' choices to take. (I've actually run into problems where I gave them multiple choices and they could not, for multiple sessions, make a decision.)

So what I'm saying is: Rails are not inherently bad, but it's best to provide wiggle room and let the players decide if they want on the train or not. If they're having a hard time coming to a decision, nudge them in the 'right' direction. If they don't want to follow what you consider to be the right choice, let them.

Speaking from personal experience: The best games are the ones where you have to improvise at least on occasion.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
In response to the railroad yay or nay debate:

I will always be one of the first people to shout "it's the players story! Give them as much choice as possible!" And I go out of my way to give my players as many options as possible while still retaining structure. For the first time ever after a recent session my current group requested that i rail them once and a while, because they sometimes felt overwhelmed when given too many options, so yeah railing can be good for a few reasons one being to make sure you're not overwhelming your group.

every group is different.
I'm not sure what you want help with as you haven't stated what help you want. A first time DM, making your own adventure can be really tough. Just do your best with the first session and try to keep your players interested, so they come back for the second session.
So today was the first gameplay of my D&D session. I did every thing that I had wrote out in the story.

But at the end I had a twist at the end the Heroes woke up and figured out that they were being controlled by a mind flayer and the Orcs they were fighting were actually "The villagers of Loudwater so come to find out they killed half of the village.
So today was the first gameplay of my D&D session. I did every thing that I had wrote out in the story.

But at the end I had a twist at the end the Heroes woke up and figured out that they were being controlled by a mind flayer and the Orcs they were fighting were actually "The villagers of Loudwater so come to find out they killed half of the village.

O yeah and a Devil minion walked in while they were all paralzed by the mindflyer and killed Lady Moonfire.

The video of the game session will be posted tomorrow. :}
Sign In to post comments