What movies best illustrate what D&D is all about?

In other words, what should the designers watch before every meeting?
Rune Soldier Louie.

The metagame is not the game.

Princess Bride.
The Three Musketeers.
Ocean's 11
E.T

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Star Wars

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
The Hobbit.
Willow

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
The Avengers
Gladiator
Pirates of the Carribean
The Dark Crystal
Pillars of the Earth (TV series)
Merlin (2008 BBC series)
Willow
Robin Hood(2010 BBC)
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit

Robin Hood(2010 BBC)

When it comes to robin hood i still prefer the 1984  Robin of Sharewood series.
But that might me looking at it trough the rose tainted glasses of nostalgia.

Robin Hood(2010 BBC)

When it comes to robin hood i still prefer the 1984  Robin of Sharewood series.
But that might me looking at it trough the rose tainted glasses of nostalgia.

Robin Hood in general just rules. I like the BBC's take here though; very much in the vein of the newer Dr Who series and cleverly done. I love the Errol Flynn movie too. That's probably my fave.

Excalibur (1981). : )
Unsurprisingly, none of the actual Dungeons & Dragons movies came up Tongue Out

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Unsurprisingly, none of the actuual Dungeons & Dragons movies came up 

I actually liked the original DnD movie. I was just a child at the time, but it was quite an enjoyable action flick with some nice comedy thrown in to relieve the tension. All the other ones since then have been sort of "Meh," though.
The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
Unsurprisingly, none of the actual Dungeons & Dragons movies came up 

Any movie that includes a role that Jeremy Irons can't make good is pretty awful..

there were some since? Guess I didn't get the memo.

The old cartoon from the 80's was pretty awesome

That episode of Community...
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.

Hector the Well-Endowed is always welcome at my table.

But I don't want to know what he does. He can just roll a fort save to see if he gets the clap and keep the rest to himself.

Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Princess Mononoke
The Avengers
Princess Bride
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Bladerunner
Robin hood 2010 (Cate Blanchett as Marion rules)
Hills have eyes
Unforgiven
Mad max
The illusionist
Sleepy Hollow

Dragonheart is direct D&D clichés to movie.
There's no movie I know using the magic level of old editions, maybe because heroes able to overcome anything outside combat with enough time of planning make crappy stories…
Ladyhawke is a good D&D movie - though you have to ignore the soundtrack.

Hector the Well-Endowed is always welcome at my table.

But I don't want to know what he does. He can just roll a fort save to see if he gets the clap and keep the rest to himself.

Personally if Allison Brie is doing the talking...

As for my movie picks:

Krull
Merlin (1998 Sam Neil miniseries)
First Knight
Dragonheart
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (OK the other 2 were better movies, but not D&D examples in my opinion)
Timeline

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

E.T

This.

If you have to resort to making offensive comments instead of making logical arguments, you deserve to be ignored.

There's no movie I know using the magic level of old editions, maybe because heroes able to overcome anything outside combat with enough time of planning make crappy stories…

Heist movies.
13th Warrior is a great DnD style movie.

I also find that although the setting is more modern, the Indiana Jones movies make great D&D inspiration.
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Princess Mononoke
The Avengers
Princess Bride
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Prince of Persia
Excalibur
Moribito (balsa rocks).
Scorpion King/Conan the Barbarian
Ladyhawk
The new Hobbit movie coming up   nyeh Lord of the Rings
The Assassins Creed movie or just play the game a bit.
The 300
Robin of Sherwood.
Spartacus
Centurion  

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Ladyhawk (minus soundtrack)

lol isn't that the truth! 
13th Warrior is a great DnD style movie.

I also find that although the setting is more modern, the Indiana Jones movies make great D&D inspiration.

The 13th Warrior - yes, 1000 times yes; it's our group's favorite "feel the mood" D&D movie.

Also,

Ladyhawke (and I, personally, like that soundtrack)
Dragonslayer
The Sword and the Sorcerer
Highlander (the movies)
Dragon Heart (Sean Connery is one of my favorite actors)
Excaliber
Conan: the Barbarian
Willow
Krull
First Knight
Legend (with the Tangerine Dream soundtrack)
Disnel Classics (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc.)

"Logan's Run"  The journey from a "normal" world that is actually very sick into an "abnormal" one which is more emotionally well is a great theme for adventurers.

"Poseidon Adventure" (1972)  Classic group overcomes hardships, and I like it because it shows that the group doesn't need to be supermen to be exceptional.

"Paint Your Wagon" great sandbox empire building game with interesting examples of problems that would face adventurers on that scale.

"Valhalla Rising"  shows how violence can be used to expand the story

"The cabinet of Dr. Caligari" silent film! its interesting to note how the movie portrays a sence of strange and dread without the spoken word. Excellent direction as far as small props that might help set the mood for a game.

"The Seventh Seal" (Ingmar Bergman 1958)  Epic group quest and in my eyes a good way to end a campaign. "Heroes do heroic things but at what cost to their souls" is just a great theme to insert or base a campaign on.

"Flash Gordon" (1980)  Archetypes as seen through a twisted mirror, very good way to lend character to a tired game.

"Phantasm" (1979)  creepy adventure and good illustration of how to use strange items and places to push the party into a feeling of the unknown.

"Flesh and Blood" (1985) Rutger Hauer     en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesh_%26_Blood_(film) Twisted Archetypes again. Also shows how the end of the world / apocalypse scenarios can really imbue a sense of pressure.
Cant believe I forgot Highlander and wish I could forget every sequel.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

King Arthur... actually feels like an all Martial D&D Group

Clash of the Titans  While the newer one is fresher in my mind I am fairly sure either is a good representation.

The 8 bit digital synth one? Man I remember that as being so distracting to an otherwise good movie. 
Not trying to disagree with your opinion, I'm actually glad that at least someone liked it, just curious if we are talking about the same thing.
Oh, and
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959), classic group adventure.
Brotherhood of the Wolf 
Streets of Fire
Pans Labyrinth., how did I leave that out!
Labyrinth,
and I'm gonna pitch "Water World" in there to just for good measure.

Man the devs are never going to get anything done if they have to watch all these movies.

Clash of the Titans  While the newer one is fresher in my mind I am fairly sure either is a good representation.

And Wrath of the Titans too...

Qpid Laughing

The 8 bit digital synth one? Man I remember that as being so distracting to an otherwise good movie. 
Not trying to disagree with your opinion, I'm actually glad that at least someone liked it, just curious if we are talking about the same thing.

The one with Alan Parsons material, I was a fan of Alan Parsons Project.
Qpid

+1

Many Star Trek episodes would be good D&D inspiration.
Qpid
 LMAO very nice