Sages of the Chimes

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Get out Sages of the Anima and Sphinx of the Chimes. Discard two cards that share a name: Reveal the top twelve cards of your library and put all revealed creatures into your hand. You should then be able to repeat this 2-3 times to put all creatures in your deck into your hand. Then use the chimes with Grave-Shell Scarab to mill the rest of your library (sage replacement effect will stop you from dying). Pitch the Simian Spirit Guides and use Wild Cantor to get blue mana to cast Laboratory Maniac. Activate the chimes one more time and choose to replace the draw with maniac ability rather than sages ability to win.

4 Ancient Ziggurat
10 Forest
5 Island
1 Swamp

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Coiling Oracle 
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Farhaven Elf
4 Ana Battlemage

4 Sages of the Anima
4 Sphinx of the Chimes
2 Grave-Shell Scarab 
4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Wild Cantor
1 Laboratory Maniac

What do you think? 
What's your answer for the following sentence?

"In response to Sphinx's ability, I kill your Maniac."
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Scarab seems out of place, Wild Cantor should probably be a 4-of, and you need a way to protect both your Sphinx and/or your Maniac, or else a way to win without Maniac.

Simian Spirit Guide+Conflagrate would work. Also some Pacts.

So basically, Ad Nauseam but with Sphinx instead.

4 Sphinx of the Chimes

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Noble Hierach 
4 Lotus Cobra 
4 Chancellor of the Tangle
4 Fauna Shaman
3 Mystic Snake 

4 Pact of Negation
4 Mana Leak

4 Simian Spirit Guide
1 Conflagrate

4 Misty Rainforest
3 Verdant Catacombs
1 Scalding Tarn
3 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
5 Forest
3 Island       

Fauna Shaman allows you to find Sphinx, and saves you midcombo if you're whiffing, by swapping out one of your "wrong" creatures for a pair and keeping you going. Chancellor accelerates the combo; turn 1 Cobras and Shamans are incredibly sexy.    
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Actually, Lightning Storm is much better than Conflagrate.

Also, Anubuss, his response to removal is to activate Sphinx again.
Strangly, I hadn't actually thought of that.  I suppose the only worries you'd have would be VS split Second (Wipe Away, Sudden Death and Sudden Shock).

Still, while the deck is all abut drawing itself via Sages + Sphinx, I'd worry about not having a back up plan.  Tormod's Crypt would do a fair job as shutting down your ability to Dredge.  Not hard to hit them both since you're intentionally discarding them both at the same time.

Some kind of back up plan seems like it really needs to be in place.  You could try a Sphinx beatdown, but it's not hard to see how much of a draw engine it is, so it's already going to draw removal.  You do have the 2 Scarab, but a pair of 4/4 and a bunch of 1/1s aren't something most decks will worry about.

After a second look, I also worry the deck looks a little slow.  Feels like you need a way to tutor up at least Sages.  Don't know what I'd use though.  Elvish Harbinger can do the job, and he can grab a few other targets in your deck too, while providing mana himself to help you ramp.  However, it's a slow tutor.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
It seems kinda slow and inconsistent.  You need a 5 cmc and a 6 cmc combo piece, you lose to removal (literally), you need 2 nonland cards that share a name to go off, and you have no dig to find your combo.

I think you're better off just playing twin. 
I hate dogs.
It seems kinda slow and inconsistent.  You need a 5 cmc and a 6 cmc combo piece, you lose to removal (literally), you need 2 nonland cards that share a name to go off, and you have no dig to find your combo.

I think you're better off just playing twin. 

My version fixes most of those problems by dropping a piece, adding in dorks and a tutor, and, more recently than that post, adding in Infernal Tutor which is really sexy.
Idea:
relentless rats x26, SSG x4, Sphinx x4, Mana sources x25, conflagrate x1
Play sphinx, chain rat draws, conflagrate for game.  Mana sources can be lands, rampant growths, or rituals.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Idea:
relentless rats x26, SSG x4, Sphinx x4, Mana sources x25, conflagrate x1
Play sphinx, chain rat draws, conflagrate for game.  Mana sources can be lands, rampant growths, or rituals.

I so want to play that now.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Eh do you really even need sages?

Just draw your deck during opponent's end step... discard it... untap, cast Creeping Renaissance for dudes and flashback conflagrate. HEEERRRRPPPP

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sign In to post comments