Building a Predator Druid and have a question

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

Howdy folks...  I'm building a predator druid and a couple of questions came up.  This is my first time building a druid in 4e (apart from the one time a build a halfling summer sentinel for the lulz).

If I choose Wild Elf as the race it opens up the longspear as a weapon option (and implement with Alfsair Spear).  Is there any major value to having reach as a predator druid?  Or will it not make much of a difference due to power selection and tactics?  I ask because I don't really see the longspear mentioned in the guide.

I'll probably have a couple more questions later.  Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.  

--sam 

Best thing to do is to read the handbook, get as far as you can on your own, then post a build with everything you have.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Check Alien270's handbook, I believe there's a polearm predator build, which may give you some ideas. I'm working on an elven predator druid myself, though I went the Accurate Staff route.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

Yes, the guide has been very helpful.  I'm also going with Elf (Wild Elf, specifically).  We're starting at 5th level, and so far I don't see any reason not to take the longspear so I'm going to stick with it for now.

Due to campaign flavor one of my feats will be eaten up by Student of the Plague for a spellscar.  Anyone have an opinion on which trait works best for a polearm using predator druid?  One would increase reach by 1 for a turn. another gives darkvision, and another boosts speed.

As I dig into this, I see that Student of the Plague being an MC feat really hurts.  I'll have to check with my DM to see if I can double up on MC feats.
Pretty sure alfsair longspear isn't going to give you reach with melee touch implement attacks.  That's why it's not mentioned.  If you really want reach, a transcendant ki focus would work.

Reach actually is nice because the best way for a low level druid to control is generally dazing or proning enemies one square away. Staggering Smash is another way to do this, at least with your daze powers.

Thanks for the info Scatterbrained! Good to know that the longspear's reach won't work with Implement attacks.  I'll see if I can work the ki focus in. If so I may not go with polearm at all.  We'll see.

As for the Multiclass stuff... I guess I'll take the Spellscar theme instead. That will leave my MC options a bit more open.

Well if you have access to polearm momentum, it's worth taking. Adding a prone to Magic Stones and Savage Rend really increases their utility, and in combination with Staggering Smash and a push enhancer it makes all your daze powers prone as well. If you haven't seen Alien270's Silverback Joe (I think it's buried in the handbook - I'm not sure if he ever linked it to the front), that build outlines most of the tricks you can do with PM.
Here's what I have so far.  I had to take into account the spellscar so I lose about in the theme/background department.  Let me know if I made any glaring errors otherwise.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Erif the Burned, level 5
Wild Elf, Druid
Spellscarred Harbinger Starting Feature Option: Twist Fate

Primal Aspect Option: Primal Predator
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Spear) Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Totem)
Spellscarred
Spellscarred Harbinger (+2 to Arcana)
Theme: Spellscarred Harbinger

FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 13, CON 11, DEX 19,INT 10, WIS 19, CHA 8
STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 13, CON 11, DEX 16,INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8 Will: 19

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Ref: 19
HP: 43 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Heal +11, Insight +11, Nature +14, Perception +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Athletics +2, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +1, History +2, Intimidate +1, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +1, Thievery +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Spellscarred Harbinger Utility: Spellscar Empowerment
Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
Druid Feature: Wild Shape
Druid Attack 1: Grasping Claws
Druid Attack 1: Magic Stones
Druid Attack 1: Savage Rend
Druid Attack 1: Thorn Spray
Druid Attack 1: Summon Giant Toad
Druid Utility 2: Elk's Fortitude
Druid Attack 3: Predator's Flurry
Druid Attack 5: Roar of Terror

FEATS
Level 1: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Battle Awareness
Level 4: Staggering Smash

ITEMS
Ritual Book
Animal Messenger
Comrades' Succor
Alfsair Spear Longspear +1 x1
Hide Armor of Cleansing +1 x1
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Totem
Unseen Servant's Hand
Unseen Servant
Transfer Enchantment
Brew Potion
Amanuensis
Residuum (Any)
Conceal Spellscar
Hand crossbow
Crossbow Bolts
Signal ammunition
Wolfsbane
Tongs
====== End ======

If you're using an Alfsair Spear, you don't need versatile expertise.

Also, I probably missed it, but why the Spellscar stuff?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..

The spellscar is for the campaign.

As for versatile expertise, I can replace it with Totem Expertise.  I suppose I won't be making very many actual weapon attacks.

EDIT: Versatile Expertise gives an overall better bonus to hit.  I assume this is because it allows the use of the weapon proficiency bonus on the implement.  Whereas Totem Expertise does not?

What about Spear Expertise, for + to-hit/charge bonus?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Spear expertise requires weapon attacks.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
EDIT: Versatile Expertise gives an overall better bonus to hit.  I assume this is because it allows the use of the weapon proficiency bonus on the implement.  Whereas Totem Expertise does not?

No, you never get proficiency bonuses on an implement attack.  VE is fine for this build though since there's not much better you can do if you're using the Alf spear.
Spear expertise requires weapon attacks.

Ah, you're right, my mistake.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
Thanks for the info.  Had a chance to play this character yesterday and it was a lot of fun.  I might change out Elk's Fortitude, but everything else seemed to work OK.

Some may question the magic item choices beyond Alfspear.  We're limited to only one Uncommon item. Trust me, I would get better stuff if I could.

As for Versatile Expertise...  in the character builder VE gives me a +8 to hit.  Totem Expertise gives me a +7.  Can anyone explain the difference?
Alf spear isn't a totem. You can just use it as an implement if you use totems.

Totally makes sense now.  Thanks, Scatterbrained.