When did this change?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have noticed that people, have gradually began to mulligan more and more. Because of this, I think people have gradually added more land/mana sources to their decks. Is this because of the average cards "quality" increasing which allows for better mulligans or a push towards the average player "understanding" more about playing Magic at a more "competitive" level?
I think it's because there were strategy articles a while ago about how people weren't mulliganing enough.  Hence, people want to be seen as "pro", therefore more mulligans.

I don't know.  I can still remember the days when the only time you could mulligan was if your opening hand had no land in it.  And even then you only got one seven card re-draw.

I think it's because decks are more consistent now with high quality threats that people don't think twice about taking two or three tries, going down to three or four cards, to get  the hand they want to start out with.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Because a turn 1-2 blightsteel colossus is much more scary than a turn 1-2 shivan dragon, thus I'll mulligan more to make sure I can deal with the first scenario while the second isnt that scary, I can last a few turns.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
I have noticed that people, have gradually began to mulligan more and more. Because of this, I think people have gradually added more land/mana sources to their decks. Is this because of the average cards "quality" increasing which allows for better mulligans or a push towards the average player "understanding" more about playing Magic at a more "competitive" level?

It could just be an evolution in the particular metagame you're looking at. If they're making better mulligan decisions then it's just them improving as players but if they're making worse mulligan decisions then it could be as mad admiral suggests and they're just trying to hard to be like the pros.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I can't speak on the reason for everybody else doing it, but I can tell you why I would.

It's a lot easier to evaluate the value of a hand with 6+ spells than one with 6+ land. Those 6 spells could clearly be fine if you can draw the land you need for them.
Conversely, the land hand could be a good keep depending on the spells you draw, or it could be terrible depending on the spells you draw, but you have no idea what those will be. There's a lot more variance in spells, being 4-ofs at best, than there is in land, which, ignoring colored mana requirements, is always just land.

So a hand full of spells is more reliable than a hand full of land. The only thing you have to do is increase the odds of then drawing enough land to cast them, which you can do by making your deck with more than the usual amount of land in it. If your deck has a bunch of land, you can be confident enough that you'll draw it when you need it, so you can feel safer mulliganing until your opening hand has the spells you really want.

It's the difference between driving on the road at night without headlights and driving at night with your lights while looking for the road.
Did this make sense? I might be rambling.
Are people actually mulliganing more than before? You'd probably need statistics to prove that. Maybe it's just the people you know, because they're getting better at Magic?
I tend to mulligan when I have a bad/unusable hand.  Crazy, right?

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I mulligan when I'm thirsty and Ashnod's Coupon isn't in my opening hand.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I think it's because there were strategy articles a while ago about how people weren't mulliganing enough.  Hence, people want to be seen as "pro", therefore more mulligans.

Even if that's not the point. A mulligan only works if you don't like your hand, which usually means mana screw, or (in an aggro deck, for instance) mana flood.

Combo decks need mulligans. Like, if I'm playing infect (a deck that plays off Goblin Tunneler and Giant Growth-type effects on infect creatures, often with Assault Strobe for a big finisher), I'll mulligan if I don't get Goblin Tunneler. Same thing with Liquimetal Coating decks.

Control decks (nixing the aforementioned Liquimetal Coating deck) might mulligan the least, since each card you give up is one fewer answers. Conversely, though, they need more mana, though. At least classic control.

It gets weirder with things like aggro-control. I know I need answers in Curse of Invisible Stalker. The combo pieces (Invisible Stalker and Curse of Stalked Prey) are different: I need the Stalker, but the Curse is just an accelerant, but both only cost two mana, and I have plenty of burn to stop creatures, so I don't need quite as much mana.

Midrange decks really need to start with four mana, two of them as nonland sources.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt