DM Quiz - Test Your Knowledge

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone and welcome to the 4E DM Quiz.  The goal of this thread is to provide a list of common questions that can and will occur during gameplay.  While you are welcome to strut your stuff, the goal isn't to just write down all the right answers and be done, but to give your justifications for your answers (thats right, I'm asking you to show your work!), just as you would at a normal table if one of your players asked the dreaded question "Why?"

Of course the goal is to get 100% of the questions right, but if people can be honest about which answers they got wrong (when I include the answer sheet I will denote which answers I got wrong the first time around) that would greatly help me in making the final draft of this quiz.

> I should have put this in the thread title, but these questions are in regards to 4th Edition DnD <
> Below is a link to the Quiz in the 4e Rules Q n A <
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Instructions for the Quiz

Ideally I would like to ask players to take the quiz twice.  Once using nothing but the resources available in this thread and then go back and edit any of their answers after they have had a time to take a second look at rules and what not.  The goal of this is to reflect how you, as a DM, would answer the question at the table and then how you would answer it after you had some time to look over it (and hopefully how you would answer it after the first time it was asked at table).

For each question read all of the information provided and give a simple True or False followed by any justifications you have for that answer.  If the answer changed after you had time to review it, please skip a space and write what else you learned upon review of the question at hand.

Please use Spoiler tags for your list of answers.

Example:

Show

13. T.  I have had this come up at table before and it seems to follow through with all the rules as I see them for XYZ reasons.

After getting a chance to look at the rules I noticed that it specifically says "Y" type attacks are not subject to this rule.

Without further Ado:

The 4e DM Quiz

1) A player subjected to the Prone and Immobilized conditions at the same time is unable to stand up.

2) A player that does not move on their turn can command their Fey Beast Companion to move.
www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di...

3) When you fall unconscious from being reduced below 0 hit points conditions such as ongoing damage, daze and stun fall off.

4) When you second wind using Armor of Dwarven Vigor you do not get the bonus to defenses.

5) You cannot Opportunity Attack and Immediate Interrupt as a response to the same action.

6) You cannot make an Immediate Interrupt and an Immediate Reaction to the same action.

7) If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll and your total attack does not meet the enemy's defense the attack is a hit but not a critical hit.

8) A player who uses Moment of Glory is able to push the enemies they hit any number of squares up to and including 3.  If the player chooses they may push the targets 0 squares and suffer no penalty.
www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/da...

9) A Sorcerer uses Flame Spiral while Weakened.  The initial damage of the Flame Spiral will be reduced by half but the automatic damage from the effect of Flame Spiral will not be reduced.

10)  A Warlord using Lamb to the Slaughter on a medium sized enemy placed directly behind a large enemy suffers a penalty for the target having cover.

11) A player can provide flanking for an ally while they are prone.

12) A player can proved flanking for an ally while they are restrained.

13) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them and that player has a fly speed of 5.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy.

14) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them wishes to make an athletics check as part of a charge to charge up.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy.

15) A tiny creature with Reach 0 must enter a player's square to attack it.

16)  A player receives an Inspiring Word from a level 9 Warlord.  If that player so chooses they may opt not to spend a healing surge but still regains the additional 2d6 hit points.

17) The Rattling keyword on weapons have no effect if the player weilding the weapon is not trained in intimidate.

18) You can downgrade a Standard Action to a Move Action, a Move action to a Minor Action or a Standard Action to two Minor Actions.

19) A creature marked by another player after it has been subject to a paladin's Ardent Vow cannot be remarked by that power unless the paladin resuses it on the target.

20) A player with 5 temporary hit points is granted 10 temporary hit points.  The player has a total of 10 temporary hit points.

21) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses the power Trip Up.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to the Trip Up attack.
www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po...
www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/it...

22) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses Boots of the Mighty Charge to replace the melee basic attack at the end of the charge with Rain of Blows.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to any of the attacks from Rain of Blows.

23) A Pursuit Avenger with a Dex modifier of 4 uses Angelic Alacrity.  During that shift the player may make an athletics check to jump over an enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity.

24) A Monk stands in the square directly between a Large Ogre and a Sorcerer.  The Sorcerer is able to use Burning Spray on the air above the Monk's head hitting the Ogre but not the Monk.

25)  A Blackguard uses the power Majestic Halo.  The Blackguard is unable to mark players with Divine Sanction since the Blackguard does not have the ability Divine Challenge.

26) A Warlock uses Crown of Stars on his turn.  The Warlock has an extra minor action left is able to sustain the power on that same turn.

27) An enemy is Vulnerable 5 Fire and Vulnerable 10 All.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 18 fire damage.

28) An enemy is insubstantial and vulnerable 5 fire.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 9 fire damage.

29) A Rogue critically hits with a power and chooses to apply their sneak attack damage to that attack.  The damage is automatically maximized as part of the effect of the critical hit.

30) Players are limited to 1 Free Action attack and 1 Non-attack Free action per turn.

31) A player is taking ongoing 10 damage (Save Ends) and chooses to delay their turn.  The player takes 10 damage at the start of where their turn would normally be in initiative order but does not save against that effect until they have finished delaying and take the rest of their turn.

32) A Barbarian uses Brutal Slam to push a creature into a Stinking Cloud.  The creature is allowed to attempt a saving throw to avoid entering the area.  If it saves, it does not enter the cloud.

33) A Ranger charges with an Avalanche Craghammer in their Mainhand and a Vanguard Craghammer in their offhand.  They can add the 1d10 extra damage from Avalanche Weapon and the 1d8 extra damage from Vanguard Weapon to the damage of their Melee Basic Attack.

34) A player with Superior Will starts their turn with the condition "Dazed and Immobilized (Save Ends)" on them.  The player attempts and succeeds a saving throw against the Dazed condition but is still immobilized.
www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/fe...

35) A Vampire uses the Attack Swarm of Shadows to make themselves invisible.  Creatures who wish to attack that player must make a Perception check vs the Vampire's Stealth check to determine what square the player is in before attacking.

36) A Ranger uses Twin Strike.  If both attacks are on the same target and the target dies from the first attack the ranger is able to choose another target for the second attack.

37) A Cloud of Darkness stands between an Eladrin player and where they would like to be.  That player is able to Fey Step through the Cloud but not into it.

38) A Barbarian hit with an attack that Dazes (Save ends) can use Shrug it Off to grant himself a saving throw.

39) A player his hit by an attack that would cause them to lose a healing surge but they have no healing surgers remaining.  The player instead loses health equal to their healing surge value.

40) A creature adjacent to a Knight and subject to his defender aura is slid two squares away from the Knight.  When the creature leaves the square adjacent to the Knight that character can make an Opportunity Attack against that Creature.

41) A Thief with Agile Opportunist is slid through two squares adjacent to a creature and into a square adjacent to a second creature (no longer adjacent to the first).  The Thief may make the Melee Basic Attack granted by that feat against the creature in the middle of the slide or against the creature at the end of the slide.

42) Two players flank and invisible dazed enemy.  The players do not have combat advantage against that enemy.

43) A creature can choose itself as the target of a power that states "A creature within 5 squares of you."

44) A player can choose itself as the target of a power that states "An ally within 5 squares of you."

45) A creature can still provide allies with cover against ranged attacks even if it is prone, stunned, hidden or invisible.

46) A creature marked by a fighter is adjacent to it.  If the creature moves the fighter will be able to make an Opportunity Attack and stop its movement with Combat Superiority.  If the creature shifts the fighter will be able to make a melee basica attack with Combat Challenge but will not stop its movement.  A creature cannot provoke both an OA and a Combat challenge during the same move action.
www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/cl...

Bonus:
47) A Wizard casts Sleep on a creature which fails its first saving throw causing that creature to go unconscious.  A Ranger, who is adjacent to the target, uses Twin Strike on the creature, Action Points (takes an MBA from a Warlord's Bravura Presience) and Twin Strikes again.  Assuming all the ranger's attacks hit, what happens?

A) Every attack the ranger made against the unconscious creature critically hits.  The creature remains unconscious.
B) Both sets of Twin Strikes the ranger made crtically hit, but the extra Melee Basic Attack granted by the Warlord does not critically hit.  The creature remains unconscious.
C) The first set of Twin Strikes critically hit, but the creature wakes up and the rest of the attacks d not critically hit.  The creature is awake.
D) The first hit from Twin Strike critically hits but the creature wakes up and the rest of the attacks do not critically hit.  The creature is awake.

Have fun everyone.  I will post the answers in 48 hours.  I look forward to the discussion.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
What happens if a DM gets one of these wrong in-game, but the players go along with it?

What if a DM gets every one of these right in-game, but the players don't go along with it?

What if a DM takes in-game time to get these right and explain them, and doing so does not significantly alter the outcome of the encounter?

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

What happens if a DM gets one of these wrong in-game, but the players go along with it?

What if a DM gets every one of these right in-game, but the players don't go along with it?

What if a DM takes in-game time to get these right and explain them, and doing so does not significantly alter the outcome of the encounter?

1) No worries then.  If the DM wants they can even completely change the rule to something else and leave it that way forever if you please.  They should, however, know what the actual rule is before they change it.

2) That's not really a rules issue but more of a group issue.  If you know the rules but your players do not and they are unruly about it you might want to have a chat with your players.  If they really think a certain rule is dumb see why and try to figure out what to do from there.

3) No worries then?  I mean, if you played with no rules at all and didn't change the outcome of the encounter (heroes rule baddies drool) and everyone had fun more power to you?  That really isn't the point of this at all. 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
1) No worries then.  If the DM wants they can even completely change the rule to something else and leave it that way forever if you please.  They should, however, know what the actual rule is before they change it.

If there are no worries with the question I asked, then why should the DM know what the actual rule is before making a deliberate change?

2) That's not really a rules issue but more of a group issue.  If you know the rules but your players do not and they are unruly about it you might want to have a chat with your players.  If they really think a certain rule is dumb see why and try to figure out what to do from there.

They might know the rules, but have a different take on them, stemming from a slightly different interpretation of certain words. D&D's technical redefinition of concepts people think they understand is at the core of many of the above questions. Reasonable people can disagree, and sticking with the D&D definition can lead to corner cases that are too ridiculous to argue over.

3) No worries then?  I mean, if you played with no rules at all and didn't change the outcome of the encounter (heroes rule baddies drool) and everyone had fun more power to you?  That really isn't the point of this at all.

Perhaps not, but it's something to consider. People are on this board all the time asking about how to speed up their games. An unknown but probably not insignificant amount of game time gets spent on disputes that don't have a significant difference on the game. We've all been in games in which whether or not someone could receive or grant a +2 bonus got discussed for 5 minutes, and then when the roll is made the bonus or lack thereof turns out not to matter in the slightest. Some people even argue about meaningless bonuses after the roll has been made. Yes, obviously sometimes the bonuses matter, but the benefit of getting them right every time is easily outweighed by the amount of time it takes to get them right.

Most D&D games could benefit from a lot more handwaving. People talk about how 4e is like a computer game, and they're right but not the way they think: it's in the way people try to add up every number and account for every little thing, like a computer does. We're not computers, and that's the whole point.

While it's a neat quiz and all, I honestly would not be able to answer a lot of these from the top of my head. But that's why I keep my laptop with me at the table. it's what i use to store all my session information anyways. When something like this comes up and the answer escapes me, I can usually just look it up in a couple seconds.

edit: im also with centauri on the handwaving. if the mighty intarwebz can't figure it out in a couple seconds and it's stalling the game I usually just make a call, whether it's the rule or not and my players accept it.
Never mind. I've hijacked your thread. Perhaps I'll start another one of my own.

If there are no worries with the question I asked, then why should the DM know what the actual rule is before making a deliberate change?

So they can inform their players they changed the rules.  Without doing so can lead to some pretty big headaches for the players.  I have a couple of house rules that I didn't make explicitly clear that they are houserules and when my players started with a new DM they fought with that guy about the ruling.  Also, if you dont know what the rule is or why the rule is that way and you change it, it can cause a lot of problems down the line especially if you have any optimizers in your party.

They might know the rules, but have a different take on them, stemming from a slightly different interpretation of certain words. D&D's technical redefinition of concepts people think they understand is at the core of many of the above questions. Reasonable people can disagree, and sticking with the D&D definition can lead to corner cases that are too ridiculous to argue over.

That can be true in some cases, however in many cases the rules are fairly clear on what you are supposed to do, but people frequently misrule it anyway.  If any particular question is too ambigious I wouldn't mind removing it.  The goal, and one of the major reasons it is T or F, is to make it so that I get somewhat of  read of what the DM will rule at the table in these instances.

Perhaps not, but it's something to consider. People are on this board all the time asking about how to speed up their games. An unknown but probably not insignificant amount of game time gets spent on disputes that don't have a significant difference on the game. We've all been in games in which whether or not someone could receive or grant a +2 bonus got discussed for 5 minutes, and then when the roll is made the bonus or lack thereof turns out not to matter in the slightest. Some people even argue about meaningless bonuses after the roll has been made. Yes, obviously sometimes the bonuses matter, but the benefit of getting them right every time is easily outweighed by the amount of time it takes to get them right.

True but then again I'm not asking for a paragraph and nor should your players expect you to give a dissertation.  Generally one or maybe 2 sentences is all you need to make a ruling.  If your players are fighting with you about a ruling, or wasting time at table you have other problems at your table (ie. Your combative player).

Most D&D games could benefit from a lot more handwaving. People talk about how 4e is like a computer game, and they're right but not the way they think: it's in the way people try to add up every number and account for every little thing, like a computer does. We're not computers, and that's the whole point.

I don't undestand your point here.  You are saying that you should just skip the rules stuff that seems too complicated or too bothersome to keep track of and rule... in favor of players always?  in favor of the monsters?  In favor of fun (which is who knows what)?

While it's a neat quiz and all, I honestly would not be able to answer a lot of these from the top of my head. But that's why I keep my laptop with me at the table. it's what i use to store all my session information anyways. When something like this comes up and the answer escapes me, I can usually just look it up in a couple seconds.

edit: im also with centauri on the handwaving. if the mighty intarwebz can't figure it out in a couple seconds and it's stalling the game I usually just make a call, whether it's the rule or not and my players accept it.

That is exactly the point of the quiz.  Just try to answer how you would off the top of your head.  I got several of them wrong and several more I had to look up.  The whole point of this experiment is to find whether this is a reasonable set of rulings that can be asked of a group of DMs to know.
Show
I have a couple of house rules that I didn't make explicitly clear that they are houserules and when my players started with a new DM they fought with that guy about the ruling.

That's not really a rules problem.

Also, if you dont know what the rule is or why the rule is that way and you change it, it can cause a lot of problems down the line especially if you have any optimizers in your party.

Can it? I bet it usually wouldn't. And if it does, it's probably easily adjusted, so long as everyone recognizes it as a problem.

That can be true in some cases, however in many cases the rules are fairly clear on what you are supposed to do, but people frequently misrule it anyway.

The issue isn't always with the clarity of the rule, but with the clarity of the definitions of the terms. One of the questions has to do with standing while immobilized. The technically correct answer is clear - but only if one realizes how the game uses the term "immoblized," which is different from how most people use it outside of the game.

True but then again I'm not asking for a paragraph and nor should your players expect you to give a dissertation.  Generally one or maybe 2 sentences is all you need to make a ruling.  If your players are fighting with you about a ruling, or wasting time at table you have other problems at your table (ie. Your combative player).

It's not my table. This is hypothetical, but plausible.

Any player can become combative if they are corrected, or ruled against, or confused. Whether or not any given player is or will become combative can be completely sidestepped by not concerning oneself with correctly following every rule edit: "and tending instead to follow player understandings of the rules."

I don't undestand your point here.  You are saying that you should just skip the rules stuff that seems too complicated or too bothersome to keep track of and rule... in favor of players always?

Not always, but often enough that they learn that you're not out to get them.

in favor of the monsters?

Sometimes, especially if the players agree.

In favor of fun (which is who knows what)?

It's that thing people have when they're not debating minor aspects of the rules.

That is exactly the point of the quiz.  Just try to answer how you would off the top of your head.  I got several of them wrong and several more I had to look up.  The whole point of this experiment is to find whether this is a reasonable set of rulings that can be asked of a group of DMs to know.
The answer is no. Don't sit down at a table with any expectation of even the most basic agreement over the rules, which means don't make a character that relies on loopholes and slippery interpretations in order just to function. Do sit down at a table with the intention of supporting the other players and the DM in what they want to do in the game, which means if they handle a rule in a slightly (or even significantly) different way than one would oneself, go with it for a session. Odds are good that it won't make any noticeable difference.

Yeah, it really is a rules problem.  The player believes the "correct" rule is the one they have been playing with and rightfully so argues that they should be allowed / someone else should be allowed / the creature shouldn't be allowed to do something.  It has caused more than one issue and it is directly a rules problem.

Can it? I bet it usually wouldn't. And if it does, it's probably easily adjusted, so long as everyone recognizes it as a problem.

Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.  It has caused more than one issue in games I've been in.  One of the big issues is that part about everyone recognizing it as a problem.  If we all just sort of agreed on how the fantasy adventure turned out we wouldn't need the DnD rules to guide us at all .

The issue isn't always with the clarity of the rule, but with the clarity of the definitions of the terms. One of the questions has to do with standing while immobilized. The technically correct answer is clear - but only if one realizes how the game uses the term "immoblized," which is different from how most people use it outside of the game.

This is the part where I want to make sure we are all playing the same edition.  Immobilized is a pretty clearly defined game term with some clearly defined rules associated with it.  Yes, in common vernacular, someone who is immobilized can't be pushed but that isn't true in the game at all.

Any player can become combative if they are corrected, or ruled against, or confused. Whether or not any given player is or will become combative can be completely sidestepped by not concerning oneself with correctly following every rule edit: "and tending instead to follow player understandings of the rules."

If, at your table, you want to follow the rules as the players see it and not RAI or RAW or any mix thereof, then that is fine for you but I feel like thats a very hard position to take especially with older players who mix editions in their head and newer players who don't really know what they are doing.

It's that thing people have when they're not debating minor aspects of the rules.

You know a good way to not debate about it is to actually know what they are and have one person at the table responsible for ruling that way or some way close to it.  If only they would implement such a role at the table....

The answer is no. Don't sit down at a table with any expectation of even the most basic agreement over the rules, which means don't make a character that relies on loopholes and slippery interpretations in order just to function. Do sit down at a table with the intention of supporting the other players and the DM in what they want to do in the game, which means if they handle a rule in a slightly (or even significantly) different way than one would oneself, go with it for a session. Odds are good that it won't make any noticeable difference.

So you are saying players should sit down at tables and assume that not only does nobody else know the same ruleset of the game they are playing.  But that they can't be expected to know any rules and if they know any that you can't expect anyone at the table to know the same rules that you know?  You are saying that, if 6 people sit down at a table to play, it would be totally ok to have 6 different definitions of what immobilize means.  And you expect this to cause no problems because everyone should sit down with a love of going with the flow?

That sounds completely ridiculous to me.

Edit: I have noticed that this forum is more inclusive than the other forums I was working in.  I need to make sure that I state this is specifically 4e.  I thought that this forum was one of the subsections of 4e but it is not.
Show
You guys are so silly.
Perhaps you're different Matyr, but when it comes to DnD for me, I look at every rule as situational and able to be bent. you're creating a game for the enjoyment of your players. if something doesn't make sense, doesn't work or you simply don't understand it? change it. easy. adhering to lists of rules, especially ones you aren't even aware of can bog any game down.
Perhaps you're different Matyr, but when it comes to DnD for me, I look at every rule as situational and able to be bent. you're creating a game for the enjoyment of your players. if something doesn't make sense, doesn't work or you simply don't understand it? change it. easy. adhering to lists of rules, especially ones you aren't even aware of can bog any game down.

I think one of the key ingredients to the lack of communication may be that we are functioning with different editions in mind.  The idea of having clearly defined rules that the DM actually knows is so the game doesn't get bogged down or things aren't really inconsistent and annoying.

Like I said, I totally agree with changing system I don't like (like the system for breaking doors in 4e is stupid in my opinion) but knowing what the system is before I change it or ignore it seems very important. 
Show
I agree that the rules of D&D, any version, should be malleable.

However, the players must be notified in advance of any rule changes, and most of them need to agree with said changes.

Martyr, a fun quiz.

Writing out my responses and including my reasons for every one of them sounds like too much of a wall of essay, though.   I've no idea how many I got correct; most, I'd guess.  That said, I would be very curious to read a list of correct answers.

I agree that the rules of D&D, any version, should be malleable.

However, the players must be notified in advance of any rule changes, and most of them need to agree with said changes.

Martyr, a fun quiz.

Writing out my responses and including my reasons for every one of them sounds like too much of a wall of essay, though.   I've no idea how many I got correct; most, I'd guess.  That said, I would be very curious to read a list of correct answers.

Would you mind posting either T or F for each one, or at least letting me know how you did once I post the answers?
Show
Show

1) A player subjected to the Prone and Immobilized conditions at the same time is unable to stand up.

False.

2) A player that does not move on their turn can command their Fey Beast Companion to move.
E: True, completely misread the question.  It can move when you take a move action, regardless of what you do with it; or, you can use your move action solely to command it to move..

3) When you fall unconscious from being reduced below 0 hit points conditions such as ongoing damage, daze and stun fall off.
False.  Nothing says they do, so they don't.

4) When you second wind using Armor of Dwarven Vigor you do not get the bonus to defenses.
False.  Nothing says you lose these, so you don't.

5) You cannot Opportunity Attack and Immediate Interrupt as a response to the same action.
False.  You can use either, or both, as long as you have the actions available and the powers to use with them.

6) You cannot make an Immediate Interrupt and an Immediate Reaction to the same action.
True (caveat: epic defenders who take their rapid punishment feat may be able to use their immediate-action punishment and another immediate, but this is true with that exception, and true in general).

7) If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll and your total attack does not meet the enemy's defense the attack is a hit but not a critical hit.

True.  A natural 20 is an automatic hit, but only a critical hit if the roll equals or exceeds the targetted defences.

8) A player who uses Moment of Glory is able to push the enemies they hit any number of squares up to and including 3.  If the player chooses they may push the targets 0 squares and suffer no penalty.

Correct.  Forced movement is option unless specifically noted otherwise.

9) A Sorcerer uses Flame Spiral while Weakened.  The initial damage of the Flame Spiral will be reduced by half but the automatic damage from the effect of Flame Spiral will not be reduced.

Interesting question, I'm not entirely sure.  My instinct is that it's all halved, but I could well be wrong.

10)  A Warlord using Lamb to the Slaughter on a medium sized enemy placed directly behind a large enemy suffers a penalty for the target having cover.
Correct, usually, but a wide variety of specific exceptions exist.

True.

True.  Well, for all of these questions, I'd prefer the word 'character', rather than 'player', but you know what I mean.

13) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them and that player has a fly speed of 5.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy.

Depends what you mean by two squares up in this case.  If there are two empty squares between them, yes.  If the PC is in square 0, and the enemy in square 2, no.  Unless there is at least 2 size categories' difference between them, or either is Tiny, in which case the charge can end with the two occupying the same space, so yes.  Confusing question.

14) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them wishes to make an athletics check as part of a charge to charge up.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy.

If the PC can make a very high DC Athletics check, then yes, but unlikely.  In play, i'd probably allow it on the basis of a DMG42 stunt, at least partly because the rules for high jumping are kinda awkward.

Correct.  But this is true of any creature, not just tiny ones.

16)  A player receives an Inspiring Word from a level 9 Warlord.  If that player so chooses they may opt not to spend a healing surge but still regains the additional 2d6 hit points.

False.  The extra d6s are in addition to the surge.  Not sure this is explicit in the rules anywhere, but I'd certainly rule it the same way as extra damage, which has to have something to add to.

17) The Rattling keyword on weapons have no effect if the player weilding the weapon is not trained in intimidate.

Well, the Rattling keyword is on powers, not weapons, but that aside, this is correct.

18) You can downgrade a Standard Action to a Move Action, a Move action to a Minor Action or a Standard Action to two Minor Actions.

Incorrect.  You can downgrade standard > move > minor, but that's it.  You can't get more than one action per action, in general.

19) A creature marked by another player after it has been subject to a paladin's Ardent Vow cannot be remarked by that power unless the paladin resuses it on the target.

Err... this question makes no sense, since Ardent Vow doesn't mark (directly).  I think it needs rewriting.

20) A player with 5 temporary hit points is granted 10 temporary hit points.  The player has a total of 10 temporary hit points.

Correct.  THP never stack.

21) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses the power Trip Up.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to the Trip Up attack.

Correct.  The Trip Up attack is a separate action from the charge.

22) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses Boots of the Mighty Charge to replace the melee basic attack at the end of the charge with Rain of Blows.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to any of the attacks from Rain of Blows.

By strict RAW, incorrect.  The Rain of Blows attacks get all the charging bonuses, because they're all part of the charge action.

23) A Pursuit Avenger with a Dex modifier of 4 uses Angelic Alacrity.  During that shift the player may make an athletics check to jump over an enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Unclear by RAW.  You can't shift whilst using movement types which require skill checks, but there's nothing which explicitly prevents the opposite; using skill check movement whilst shifting.  Not sure.

24) A Monk stands in the square directly between a Large Ogre and a Sorcerer.  The Sorcerer is able to use Burning Spray on the air above the Monk's head hitting the Ogre but not the Monk.

Correct. E: assuming, of course, that the Monk is Medium sized or smaller.

25)  A Blackguard uses the power Majestic Halo.  The Blackguard is unable to mark players with Divine Sanction since the Blackguard does not have the ability Divine Challenge.

False.  Divine Sanction is a condition, just like Marked or Stunned.  It's class-independent.

26) A Warlock uses Crown of Stars on his turn.  The Warlock has an extra minor action left is able to sustain the power on that same turn.

False.  You can't sustain until the turn after using the power.

27) An enemy is Vulnerable 5 Fire and Vulnerable 10 All.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 18 fire damage.

No clear RAW answer.

28) An enemy is insubstantial and vulnerable 5 fire.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 9 fire damage.

False.  You work out the halving last, so they take 8+5=13/2=6 fire damage.

29) A Rogue critically hits with a power and chooses to apply their sneak attack damage to that attack.  The damage is automatically maximized as part of the effect of the critical hit.

Correct.  Any damage which would or could be rolled is maximised by critting.  Only damage specifically triggered by the critical hit is not maximised.

30) Players are limited to 1 Free Action attack and 1 Non-attack Free action per turn.

False.  You can use a free action to use an attack power only once per turn.  Otherwise, free actions are limited only by the DM.

31) A player is taking ongoing 10 damage (Save Ends) and chooses to delay their turn.  The player takes 10 damage at the start of where their turn would normally be in initiative order but does not save against that effect until they have finished delaying and take the rest of their turn.

Correct.

32) A Barbarian uses Brutal Slam to push a creature into a Stinking Cloud.  The creature is allowed to attempt a saving throw to avoid entering the area.  If it saves, it does not enter the cloud.

False.  Creatures don't get saves against being force-moved into zones, only into Hazardous Terrain.

33) A Ranger charges with an Avalanche Craghammer in their Mainhand and a Vanguard Craghammer in their offhand.  They can add the 1d10 extra damage from Avalanche Weapon and the 1d8 extra damage from Vanguard Weapon to the damage of their Melee Basic Attack.

False.  When a weapon property specifically applies to an attack, you must use that weapon for the attack for it to apply.

34) A player with Superior Will starts their turn with the condition "Dazed and Immobilized (Save Ends)" on them.  The player attempts and succeeds a saving throw against the Dazed condition but is still immobilized.

False.  The whole condition ends.

35) A Vampire uses the Attack Swarm of Shadows to make themselves invisible.  Creatures who wish to attack that player must make a Perception check vs the Vampire's Stealth check to determine what square the player is in before attacking.

False.  It's not Hidden, only invisible.  Everyone knows where it is unless it succeeds on a Stealth check to Hide.  They do take the penalty to hit with melee and ranged attacks for its invisibility, however.

36) A Ranger uses Twin Strike.  If both attacks are on the same target and the target dies from the first attack the ranger is able to choose another target for the second attack.

Strictly, no, but this is a very commonly house-ruled area.

37) A Cloud of Darkness stands between an Eladrin player and where they would like to be.  That player is able to Fey Step through the Cloud but not into it.

False.  The cloud blocks Line of Sight, which is required for teleportation.

38) A Barbarian hit with an attack that Dazes (Save ends) can use Shrug it Off to grant himself a saving throw.

False.  You can't use Immediate Actions whilst Dazed, so you can't trigger the power..

39) A player his hit by an attack that would cause them to lose a healing surge but they have no healing surgers remaining.  The player instead loses health equal to their healing surge value.

No clear raw answer.  The specific power will detail the effect, if any, of the loss of a surge the character doesn't have.

40) A creature adjacent to a Knight and subject to his defender aura is slid two squares away from the Knight.  When the creature leaves the square adjacent to the Knight that character can make an Opportunity Attack against that Creature.

False.  Forced movement does not trigger Opportunity Attacks, nor Battle Guardian/Feywild Guardian attacks.

41) A Thief with Agile Opportunist is slid through two squares adjacent to a creature and into a square adjacent to a second creature (no longer adjacent to the first).  The Thief may make the Melee Basic Attack granted by that feat against the creature in the middle of the slide or against the creature at the end of the slide.

The Thief can attack either enemy, but the attack will take place between squares of movement should he choose to attack the first.  There's an explicit reaction point between squares of movement, forced or otherwise.

42) Two players flank and invisible dazed enemy.  The players do not have combat advantage against that enemy.

Correct, you can't gain CA if you can't see the target.  This assumes the PCs don't have some means of seeing invisible creatures, of course - if they do, then they get CA from it being Dazed anyway; but if only one of them does, the other can't flank for CA.

43) A creature can choose itself as the target of a power that states "A creature within 5 squares of you."

Correct.

44) A player can choose itself as the target of a power that states "An ally within 5 squares of you."

False, you are not your own ally.

45) A creature can still provide allies with cover against ranged attacks even if it is prone, stunned, hidden or invisible.

Correct.

46) A creature marked by a fighter is adjacent to it.  If the creature moves the fighter will be able to make an Opportunity Attack and stop its movement with Combat Superiority.  If the creature shifts the fighter will be able to make a melee basica attack with Combat Challenge but will not stop its movement.  A creature cannot provoke both an OA and a Combat challenge during the same move action.

Correct in general (the default move actions preclude using shifting and normal movement together), but there may be specific exceptions if a creature can use shifting and moving as part of the same move action - but only if they happen in that order.

Bonus:
47) A Wizard casts Sleep on a creature which fails its first saving throw causing that creature to go unconscious.  A Ranger, who is adjacent to the target, uses Twin Strike on the creature, Action Points (takes an MBA from a Warlord's Bravura Presience) and Twin Strikes again.  Assuming all the ranger's attacks hit, what happens?

Quite probably, the creature dies :P .  However, if the ranger declares Coup de Grace with each standard action, all the Twin Strike attacks are critical hits if they hit.  The Bravura attack is not, nor can it be unless it crits by itself, as Coup De Grace is a standard action.  The creature only wakes up if it succeeds on a saving throw.  Unconsciousness itself does not have a specific end trigger; specific powers and effects that cause it do.  If, for instance, Slumber of the Winter Court had been used, the creature would have woken up after the first hit, and the rest wouldn't have been coups de grace any more (and the ranger's player would probably have had rule books thrown at him).

A) Every attack the ranger made against the unconscious creature critically hits.  The creature remains unconscious.
B) Both sets of Twin Strikes the ranger made crtically hit, but the extra Melee Basic Attack granted by the Warlord does not critically hit.  The creature remains unconscious.
C) The first set of Twin Strikes critically hit, but the creature wakes up and the rest of the attacks d not critically hit.  The creature is awake.
D) The first hit from Twin Strike critically hits but the creature wakes up and the rest of the attacks do not critically hit.  The creature is awake.

Have fun everyone.  I will post the answers in 48 hours.  I look forward to the discussion.

Mostly interesting questions, some without RAW answers, a few I'm not sure about even after looking them up.

Throughout, you say 'player' when you mean 'character' or 'creature'.  Might wanna look into that.  Also, q19 just doesn't make sense, since Ardent Vow doesn't mark enemies directly.  It's not clear what this question means.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks Invader for taking the time to answer the quiz.

After you brought it up you are correct, I should change the questions to say "character" or "Creature" instead of player.  I'll go through and fix that after dinner. 
Show
That's a good DM Quiz covering a wide range of topics Martyr. I would happily take it if i wouldn't have contributed  but i'd know answers beforehand Wink

If it help a few DMs outthere with rules you'll have done a good job. 
That's a good DM Quiz covering a wide range of topics Martyr. I would happily take it if i wouldn't have contributed  but i'd know answers beforehand 

You could always take the parts of the quiz that you didn't submit .  I think having you for a base line of "HSM" would be rather useful.
Show

Yeah, it really is a rules problem.  The player believes the "correct" rule is the one they have been playing with and rightfully so argues that they should be allowed / someone else should be allowed / the creature shouldn't be allowed to do something.  It has caused more than one issue and it is directly a rules problem.

I guess you're right. I thought we'd established that this sort of thing was a combative player problem.

Sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does.  It has caused more than one issue in games I've been in.  One of the big issues is that part about everyone recognizing it as a problem.

As in, one side sees it as overpowered and another side sees it as to be expected, and neither enjoyes the others' interpretation? Sure, that can be an issue, and a matter for discussion at one's table. Its a matter of picking one's battles. Most rules battles aren't worth fighting.

This is the part where I want to make sure we are all playing the same edition.  Immobilized is a pretty clearly defined game term with some clearly defined rules associated with it.  Yes, in common vernacular, someone who is immobilized can't be pushed but that isn't true in the game at all.

Sure, it's defined, but that's small comfort in the moment, where one person thought they knew what "immobilized" or "prone" or "push" or anything else means, and it's different from the technical definition. If they were relying (or felt they were relying) on, say, whether or not it's possible to stand while immobilized.

Once someone hears themselves saying something like "(This word) in the game is not the same as (this word) outside the game," they've left the path of wisdom and have lost the argument. It's just not a point worth defending. If everyone's on board with it, fine, but in that case the argument isn't happening anyway.

If, at your table, you want to follow the rules as the players see it and not RAI or RAW or any mix thereof, then that is fine for you but I feel like thats a very hard position to take especially with older players who mix editions in their head and newer players who don't really know what they are doing.

Have you tried it? It's not that hard. Even in 4th Edition, the rules aren't deliberately trying to disregard everything that has come before, nor are they trying to simulate anything that is vastly different from reality, apart from the fantastical trappings. One experience with past editions and with the real world (or the movie version of it, anyway), can, should and does serve as a pretty decent baseline for rules interpretations. Sure, better armor used to have lower numbers, but plate armor still protects better than chain.

Whatever the intention of the rules might be, I guarantee that it is not that people be putting a lot of effort into getting the rules right.

You know a good way to not debate about it is to actually know what they are and have one person at the table responsible for ruling that way or some way close to it.  If only they would implement such a role at the table....

Yeah, great, but that's not what happens, is it? People fight with the DM, you even offered a real-life example of it. Every edition of every roleplaying game I've ever seen tells players to go along with the DM and tells the DM to make a rule and go. But if that advice was followed universally, this thread wouldn't exist. It's not enough to know the rules. You have to know when it's worth knowing the rules.

So you are saying players should sit down at tables and assume that not only does nobody else know the same ruleset of the game they are playing.  But that they can't be expected to know any rules and if they know any that you can't expect anyone at the table to know the same rules that you know?

I'm saying that a person shouldn't hold other people to some sort of standard, especially when that standard has a questionable connection to the quality of game experience that person is prepared to support. Proactively, a person can help themselves by not expecting that the monster build they've brought will work correctly under a given DM (or by not making a monster build in the first place), or by not expecting that a particular encounter will go a particular way.

You are saying that, if 6 people sit down at a table to play that it is totally ok to have 6 different definitions of what immobilize means.

That's only likely to be a problem if every one of them sticks to their guns. If one is prepared to be flexible oneself, regardless of one's role at the table, many potential problems will be alleviated, even if everyone else sticks to their guns.

And you expect this to cause no problems because everyone should sit down with a love of going with the flow?

No, it's no good expecting everyone else to go with the flow. One can only control one's own reactions to the vagaries of rule interpretation by the people around them.

That sounds completely ridiculous to me.

I'm happy to discuss it further, if you like.

could we perhaps get back to the quiz ? :p 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Here ya go.

The 4e DM Quiz

1) A player subjected to the Prone and Immobilized conditions at the same time is unable to stand up. F

2) A player that does not move on their turn can command their Fey Beast Companion to move. T? Two years of 4e, not one player ever wanted to play a beast companion character.

3) When you fall unconscious from being reduced below 0 hit points conditions such as ongoing damage, daze and stun fall off. F

4) When you second wind using Armor of Dwarven Vigor you do not get the bonus to defenses. F

5) You cannot Opportunity Attack and Immediate Interrupt as a response to the same action. T

6) You cannot make an Immediate Interrupt and an Immediate Reaction to the same action. T

7) If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll and your total attack does not meet the enemy's defense the attack is a hit but not a critical hit. T, don't care what the rule book says.

9) A Sorcerer uses Flame Spiral while Weakened.  The initial damage of the Flame Spiral will be reduced by half but the automatic damage from the effect of Flame Spiral will not be reduced. F, neither is reduced.

F, target is not behind enemy after the pull.

11) A player can provide flanking for an ally while they are prone. F, but the ally standing can provide CA for the prone ally's attacks.

12) A player can proved flanking for an ally while they are restrained. F

13) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them and that player has a fly speed of 5.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy. F, don't care what the rule book says.

14) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them wishes to make an athletics check as part of a charge to charge up.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy. F, don't care what the rule book says.

15) A tiny creature with Reach 0 must enter a player's square to attack it. T

16)  A player receives an Inspiring Word from a level 9 Warlord.  If that player so chooses they may opt not to spend a healing surge but still regains the additional 2d6 hit points. F

17) The Rattling keyword on weapons have no effect if the player weilding the weapon is not trained in intimidate. Not a clue.  Never seen or use a creature with 'rattling'.

18) You can downgrade a Standard Action to a Move Action, a Move action to a Minor Action or a Standard Action to two Minor Actions.  Not exactly.   1 standard = 1 minor or 1 move, 1 move = 1 minor.  1 standard <> two minors.  If dit did, a person could get 4 minors in one turn.  

19) A creature marked by another player after it has been subject to a paladin's Ardent Vow cannot be remarked by that power unless the paladin resuses it on the target. Unclear question.  A fighter mark and an Ardent Vow can be on the same target. 

20) A player with 5 temporary hit points is granted 10 temporary hit points.  The player has a total of 10 temporary hit points. T

21) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses the power Trip Up.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to the Trip Up attack. F. It doesn't say Trip Up can be used as part of a charge, so I wouldn't allow that. 

23) A Pursuit Avenger with a Dex modifier of 4 uses Angelic Alacrity.  During that shift the player may make an athletics check to jump over an enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity. No chance, shift <> jump over an opponent.

24) A Monk stands in the square directly between a Large Ogre and a Sorcerer.  The Sorcerer is able to use Burning Spray on the air above the Monk's head hitting the Ogre but not the Monk. I wouldn't allow it, unless the bottom of the ogre was hovering 1 square up.

25)  A Blackguard uses the power Majestic Halo.  The Blackguard is unable to mark players with Divine Sanction since the Blackguard does not have the ability Divine Challenge. F.

F.  The power lasts until the end of the lock's next turn, only then can the sustain be applied.

27) An enemy is Vulnerable 5 Fire and Vulnerable 10 All.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 18 fire damage. T, the vul 5 fire can be ignored if Vul All is a higher number.

28) An enemy is insubstantial and vulnerable 5 fire.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 9 fire damage. Something like that? It'd be within a few points if not, and I wouldn't care enough to argue.

29) A Rogue critically hits with a power and chooses to apply their sneak attack damage to that attack.  The damage is automatically maximized as part of the effect of the critical hit. T, don't care what the rule book says.

30) Players are limited to 1 Free Action attack and 1 Non-attack Free action per turn. F, no limit to non-attack free actions (within reason).  Speaking is a free action.   You're only allowed to speak once per turn?

31) A player is taking ongoing 10 damage (Save Ends) and chooses to delay their turn.  The player takes 10 damage at the start of where their turn would normally be in initiative order but does not save against that effect until they have finished delaying and take the rest of their turn. T

32) A Barbarian uses Brutal Slam to push a creature into a Stinking Cloud.  The creature is allowed to attempt a saving throw to avoid entering the area.  If it saves, it does not enter the cloud. I would rule F, but I hope I'm wrong.

Totally depends on how they were applied.  If with "save ends both" then save ends both.  Otherwise, two save rolls.

35) A Vampire uses the Attack Swarm of Shadows to make themselves invisible.  Creatures who wish to attack that player must make a Perception check vs the Vampire's Stealth check to determine what square the player is in before attacking. T

F, don't care what the rule book says.  All targets of a power must be declared BEFORE that power begins.

37) A Cloud of Darkness stands between an Eladrin player and where they would like to be.  That player is able to Fey Step through the Cloud but not into it. F, you can't teleport to any location you can't see unless the power states otherwise.  IMO, Cloud of Darkness = Wall of Darkness for LoS purposes.

38) A Barbarian hit with an attack that Dazes (Save ends) can use Shrug it Off to grant himself a saving throw. T

39) A player his hit by an attack that would cause them to lose a healing surge but they have no healing surgers remaining.  The player instead loses health equal to their healing surge value. T.

F, forced movement never triggers OAs.

42) Two players flank and invisible dazed enemy.  The players do not have combat advantage against that enemy. F.  I'd rule +2 CA, -5 for invis.

43) A creature can choose itself as the target of a power that states "A creature within 5 squares of you." F

44) A player can choose itself as the target of a power that states "An ally within 5 squares of you." F

45) A creature can still provide allies with cover against ranged attacks even if it is prone, stunned, hidden or invisible. F

46) A creature marked by a fighter is adjacent to it.  If the creature moves the fighter will be able to make an Opportunity Attack and stop its movement with Combat Superiority.  If the creature shifts the fighter will be able to make a melee basica attack with Combat Challenge but will not stop its movement.  A creature cannot provoke both an OA and a Combat challenge during the same move action. T

Bonus:
47) A Wizard casts Sleep on a creature which fails its first saving throw causing that creature to go unconscious.  A Ranger, who is adjacent to the target, uses Twin Strike on the creature, Action Points (takes an MBA from a Warlord's Bravura Presience) and Twin Strikes again.  Assuming all the ranger's attacks hit, what happens? F.  No player can ever use the same power twice in the same turnIf I had to rule on below, the FIRST hit wakes the creature.  Not one auto-crit after that.

Thanks to everyone submitting their answers to the quiz.  This is going to be extremely helpful for working with my fellow DMs.

While I won't say I'm the end-all-be-all of rules people (cause its not true even in my area) there is a fair sized pool of DMs that defer to my knowledge on a lot of issues so I am hoping this will help me better understand people's viewpoints on different rules and what may need discussing.

4 entries and its only been a few hours, thanks a lot everyone. 
Show
being at work i can't do it now but i'll post mine once i get home !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

being at work i can't do it now but i'll post mine once i get home !

<3
Show
That's a good DM Quiz covering a wide range of topics Martyr. I would happily take it if i wouldn't have contributed  but i'd know answers beforehand 

You could always take the parts of the quiz that you didn't submit .  I think having you for a base line of "HSM" would be rather useful.

Sure why not

[sblock]

1) A player subjected to the Prone and Immobilized conditions at the same time is unable to stand up. False because Standing up doesn't count as moving since you are not leaving a square to enter another.

2) A player that does not move on their turn can command their Fey Beast Companion to move. True because you can command the Fey Beast to move (the linked rule addressing commands wasn't included so its technically False with the current info provided) 

3) When you fall unconscious from being reduced below 0 hit points conditions such as ongoing damage, daze and stun fall off. False because effects last until they wear off wether the subject is conscious or not.

4) When you second wind using Armor of Dwarven Vigor you do not get the bonus to defenses. False because the Armor of Dwarven Vigor's Property doesn't say you don't gain the Defenses bonus.

5) You cannot Opportunity Attack and Immediate Interrupt as a response to the same action. False, because you're not limited to use 1 Triggerred actions per trigger.

6) You cannot make an Immediate Interrupt and an Immediate Reaction to the same action. True because you can only take 1 Immediate action per round.

7) If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll and your total attack does not meet the enemy's defense the attack is a hit but not a critical hit. True because natural 20 are automatic hit, but not automatic critical hit.

8) A player who uses Moment of Glory is able to push the enemies they hit any number of squares up to and including 3.  If the player chooses they may push the targets 0 squares and suffer no penalty. True, because you can push the enemy all, some or none of the squares according to Forced Movement rules.  PS Compendium Link is broken

9) A Sorcerer uses Flame Spiral while Weakened.  The initial damage of the Flame Spiral will be reduced by half but the automatic damage from the effect of Flame Spiral will not be reduced. True, because Weakened condition doesn't halves damage that isn’t generated by an attack roll.

10)  A Warlord using Lamb to the Slaughter on a medium sized enemy placed directly behind a large enemy suffers a penalty for the target having cover. False because creatures provide cover only against ranged attack and Lamb to the Slaughter is a melee attack.

11) A player can provide flanking for an ally while they are prone. True because one doesn't have to be standing to flank.

12) A player can proved flanking for an ally while they are restrained. True because because one doesn't have to be not restrained to flank.

13) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them and that player has a fly speed of 5.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy. False because doing so would not make end the move at least 2 squares away from your starting position. 

14) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them wishes to make an athletics check as part of a charge to charge up.  The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy. False because doing so would not make end the move at least 2 squares away from your starting position.

15) A tiny creature with Reach 0 must enter a player's square to attack it. False, unless it use an attack using its reach. 

16)  A player receives an Inspiring Word from a level 9 Warlord.  If that player so chooses they may opt not to spend a healing surge but still regains the additional 2d6 hit points. False because spending no healing surge would not let you regain hit points and in order to regain additional hit points, you need to regain some first.

17) The Rattling keyword on weapons have no effect if the player weilding the weapon is not trained in intimidate. True, Rattling require to be trained in Intimidate to apply its penalty. Weapons don't have keyword though and should instead say power. 

18) You can downgrade a Standard Action to a Move Action, a Move action to a Minor Action or a Standard Action to two Minor Actions. False because you can only substitute a single move or minor action for a standard one.

19) A creature marked by another player after it has been subject to a paladin's Ardent Vow cannot be remarked by that power unless the paladin resuses it on the target. False because a mark always supercede another unless noted otherwise. Note that using Ardent Vow doesn't mark.

20) A player with 5 temporary hit points is granted 10 temporary hit points.  The player has a total of 10 temporary hit points. True because temporary hit points are not cumulative, only the highest value apply.

21) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses the power Trip Up.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to the Trip Up attack. True, because Trip Up is not a charge attack.

22) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses Boots of the Mighty Charge to replace the melee basic attack at the end of the charge with Rain of Blows.  The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to any of the attacks from Rain of Blows. False, because Rain of Blows are charge attacks because of the Boots of the Mighty Charge.

23) A Pursuit Avenger with a Dex modifier of 4 uses Angelic Alacrity.  During that shift the player may make an athletics check to jump over an enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity. True because you can Jump as part of any actions that makes you move and shifting doesn't trigger opportunity actions.

24) A Monk stands in the square directly between a Large Ogre and a Sorcerer.  The Sorcerer is able to use Burning Spray on the air above the Monk's head hitting the Ogre but not the Monk. True because applying a close power in this fashion in 3D would be legal.

25)  A Blackguard uses the power Majestic Halo.  The Blackguard is unable to mark players with Divine Sanction since the Blackguard does not have the ability Divine Challenge. False because divine sanction is a stand-alone effect that doesn't require Divine Challenge.

26) A Warlock uses Crown of Stars on his turn.  The Warlock has an extra minor action left is able to sustain the power on that same turn. False because you cannot sustain a power on the same turn it was used, only on your next turn. 

27) An enemy is Vulnerable 5 Fire and Vulnerable 10 All.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 18 fire damage. True because vulnerabilities are not cumulative and only the highest vulnerability applies.

28) An enemy is insubstantial and vulnerable 5 fire.  They are hit for 8 fire damage.  They take a total of 9 fire damage. False, they would 6 fire damage because you add vulnerabilities before halving damage.

29) A Rogue critically hits with a power and chooses to apply their sneak attack damage to that attack.  The damage is automatically maximized as part of the effect of the critical hit. True, because all die that would have been rolled for the attack are maxed and Sneak Attack would have. 

30) Players are limited to 1 Free Action attack and 1 Non-attack Free action per turn. False because you can only use a Free action to use an attack power once per turn, but other Free actions are otherwise unrestricted, unless the DM decide so. 

31) A player is taking ongoing 10 damage (Save Ends) and chooses to delay their turn.  The player takes 10 damage at the start of where their turn would normally be in initiative order but does not save against that effect until they have finished delaying and take the rest of their turn. True because The Start of Turn phase occur when Delaying, and thats when Ongoing damage are pllied, and the End of Turn phase where saving throws take place only occur when later resolved.

32) A Barbarian uses Brutal Slam to push a creature into a Stinking Cloud.  The creature is allowed to attempt a saving throw to avoid entering the area.  If it saves, it does not enter the cloud. False because saving throws are made to avoid entering Hindering Terrain and the Stinking Cloud zone isn't one.

33) A Ranger charges with an Avalanche Craghammer in their Mainhand and a Vanguard Craghammer in their offhand.  They can add the 1d10 extra damage from Avalanche Weapon and the 1d8 extra damage from Vanguard Weapon to the damage of their Melee Basic Attack. False, only properties of the weapon wielded to make the attack can apply.

34) A player with Superior Will starts their turn with the condition "Dazed and Immobilized (Save Ends)" on them.  The player attempts and succeeds a saving throw against the Dazed condition but is still immobilized. False, because such effects usually say (save ends both) and thus saving would end both conditions.

35) A Vampire uses the Attack Swarm of Shadows to make themselves invisible.  Creatures who wish to attack that player must make a Perception check vs the Vampire's Stealth check to determine what square the player is in before attacking. False because perception checks are made to detect hidden creatures, not invisible one and are not required to attack them anyways.  

36) A Ranger uses Twin Strike.  If both attacks are on the same target and the target dies from the first attack the ranger is able to choose another target for the second attack. False, because targets must be selected before making any attacks are made as per Making Attacks Process. 

37) A Cloud of Darkness stands between an Eladrin player and where they would like to be.  That player is able to Fey Step through the Cloud but not into it. False, because Cloud of Darkness blocks line of sight and you need to see the destination you're teleporting to.

38) A Barbarian hit with an attack that Dazes (Save ends) can use Shrug it Off to grant himself a saving throw. False because Dazed prevent you from taking Immediate actions.

39) A player his hit by an attack that would cause them to lose a healing surge but they have no healing surgers remaining.  The player instead loses health equal to their healing surge value. False, because there is no general effect for loosing a healing surge and thus nothing happens unless noted otherwise.

40) A creature adjacent to a Knight and subject to his defender aura is slid two squares away from the Knight.  When the creature leaves the square adjacent to the Knight that character can make an Opportunity Attack against that Creature. False because Forced Movement does not trigger Opportunity actions.

41) A Thief with Agile Opportunist is slid through two squares adjacent to a creature and into a square adjacent to a second creature (no longer adjacent to the first).  The Thief may make the Melee Basic Attack granted by that feat against the creature in the middle of the slide or against the creature at the end of the slide. True because Agile Opportunist let the Rogue make a melee basic attack against an enemy pulled, pushed, or slid adjacent to him as an immediate reaction and he was slid adjacent to both.

42) Two players flank and invisible dazed enemy.  The players do not have combat advantage against that enemy. True because you need to see your target to gain combat advantage against it.

43) A creature can choose itself as the target of a power that states "A creature within 5 squares of you." True because it is a creature within 5 squares of hersef (0 square)

44) A player can choose itself as the target of a power that states "An ally within 5 squares of you." False because you are not considered an ally to yourself.

45) A creature can still provide allies with cover against ranged attacks even if it is prone, stunned, hidden or invisible. True because Creature and Cover doesn't require you to be visible, standing or able to act. 

46) A creature marked by a fighter is adjacent to it.  If the creature moves the fighter will be able to make an Opportunity Attack and stop its movement with Combat Superiority.  If the creature shifts the fighter will be able to make a melee basica attack with Combat Challenge but will not stop its movement.  A creature cannot provoke both an OA and a Combat challenge during the same move action. True mostly. Combat Superiority will not allow it to make an Opportunity attack and stop movement of any move, only those that can trigger Opportunity actions. Combat Challenge trigger when a creature shift but does not stop movement and its possible to use both Combat Challenge and Combat Superiority if they would be triggered (ex. if an enemy hit by Viper's Strike shift)

47) A Wizard casts Sleep on a creature which fails its first saving throw causing that creature to go unconscious.  A Ranger, who is adjacent to the target, uses Twin Strike on the creature, Action Points (takes an MBA from a Warlord's Bravura Presience) and Twin Strikes again.  Assuming all the ranger's attacks hit, what happens? None of the choice are applicable. Nothing particular would happen, since the Ranger didn't use the Coup De Grace action. He would attack with Combat advantage against an Unconscious target having -5 to all DEF. 
Quiz answers

True, standing requires a move action which is not a legal option because the immobilized condition prevents you from taking one.  You can still teleport as a move action though.

True, the feybeast tamer creature can move when you take a move action or you can use your move action to make it on it's own.

False, conditions like those always have a clause stating how long they last.  Until end of next turn, start of next, save ends, etc..  They last however long they say they do unless an exception (like superior will for example) changes that.

False, nothing states that you would lose those bonuses.

False.  You have access to one immediate action per round and one opportunity action per turn.  Unless you've already used those during the either the round or the turn respectively you can use both.

True, you can only use one immediate action per round.  The creature would have to pick which it wanted to use and only use that one.

False, rolling a natural 20 is a crit which is an automatic hit by default.

True, forced movement on powers, like push 2 for example, only indicate the maximum number of squares of the forced movement.  There is nothing preventing a creature from not actually force moving a target if it does not wish to.

True, the weakened condition states that while the creature is weakened it deals half damage.  It does not specify exceptions to this.  All damage done by on-going damage, zones etc that the creature creates also deals half damage until the condition is removed.

True, allies grant cover.

True, the prone condition does not prevent someone from providing cover or flanking.

True, restrained does not prevent someone from providing flanking.

true, the charge action is a kind of move action.  Provided the target has 2 squares of open terrain between the charging creature and its target it can charge regardles of the kind of speed it has.  Swim, fly, hover, etc..  

Jump rules suck.  But I'll go with true, there's nothing anywhere stating that a player can't charge jump at a target.  I'd ask for an athletics check for it and go with regular jumping mechanics.  No running start for example if he's just jumping straight up.

True, reach 0 means that the creature making the attack must be inside the square of the target.

False, to gain the bonus 2d6 the target must spend a healing surge.  As per the text "the target spends a healing surge and gains an additional 2d6".  No spent healing surge, no extra healing.  The exception to this for me at least would be if a target has no healing surges.  It would gain 1 hp for not having a surge and the extra 2d6.

False, the rattling keyword is never found on weapons.  However using a power with rattling will require to be trained in intimidate for them to have any effect unless an exception is specified.

False, you can trade a standard for a move, a move for a minor or a standard for a minor.  That's all.

I can't check the compendium myself but marks supercede each other unless otherwise noted.  If creature A marks target A and then creature B marks target A, target A is now marked by creature B.  Creature A can mark target A again but then creature B no longer has it marked.

True temp hp doesn't stack.

True, using trip up is not part of the actual charge, it's a seperate power.

False, the power being used is being used as part of the charge attack instead of the MBA usually used.  It gains all of the bonuses from any items that give them to charging like horned helm.

Yes and no ?  I would allow the jump to happen but it would provoke an opportunity attack.

True, as long as the monk is medium size or smaller, the sorcerer can aim above his head and hit the Ogre.

False, Divine Sanction is not dependant on divine challenge, it's a condition like being marked.

False, the first time you can sustain a power is during the turn after you used the power you can sustain.

True, only the highest vulnerability amount takes effect.

False, insubstantial is the last thing to take into account when calculating damage.

True, all extra damage that could or would have been added onto the attack which crit is maxed by the crit, sneak attack included.

False, you can only take one free action attack per turn, but as many non-attack free actions per turn as your DM will allow.

True, on-going damage states at the start of your turn take x damage.  If you delay your turn you have already started it.

false, creatures don't get a save vs being forced into zones, only hindering terrain like off a cliff.

False, you have to use the weapon with the attack in order to gain the benefits it can give if it states that you get them when you attack.

False, save ends both effects end when you save for either condition.

false, invisible only means you have a superior concealement.  Everyone still knows exactly where you are.

True, you decide who you are attacking when you decide to make the second attack not when you make the first.  Declaring the target of your attack is the first step and you have to do so for each attack of twin strike.

False, cloud darkness blocks line of sight.

false, the dazed condition stops a creature from using immediate actions.

39) A player is hit by an attack that would cause them to lose a healing surge but they have no healing surgers remaining.  The player instead loses health equal to their healing surge value.

True, whenever a creature loses a healing surge and doesn't have one to lose, they lose life equal to it instead.

False, forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

True, the thief being slid can decide which creature he attacks.

True, you need vision of a creature in order to gain combat advantage.  Regardless of the conditions on the creature.

True, you are a creature within 5 squares.

False, you do not count as your own ally.

True, all that is required is that the ally be between the attacker and the target.

True, but there are exceptions to this depending on the power if any that the creature uses to move away from the fighter.

Bonus:

The answer is B.

Fun times ^^ 

Show
1. False. Immobilized reduces a character's speed to zero, but doesn't take away a character's move action for the turn. Standing up from prone doesn't cost any squares of movement, so isn't hindered by the other condition. 

2. True. One of my players recently played with a fey beast companion, and he moved it as part of his own move action.

Looked it up, and that's indeed how it works.

3. False. Fire doesn't spontaneously go out when you fall unconscious.

I've always wondered though if a defender's mark falls off enemies when he drops unconscious.

4. False. When you use your second wind, you get to a. spend a surge, and b. get a +2 bonus to all defenses.

5. False. They're separate actions, and although you can only take 1 OA and IA per turn/round, I don't think there's anything in the rules that specifies you can only respond with one action. If you have it, you can even take a free action as well.

6. True. You only get one IA per round.

The one exception are the epic Rapid Reaction feats. If an enemy violates your mark, you can use an Immediate Interrupt like the Swordmage's Dimensional Vortex, and then the Immediate Reaction from your Aegis of Assault.

7. False. A natural 20 on an attack roll is always a critical hit.

8. True. The enemy still falls prone though. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "and suffer no penalty".

9. False. All damage done by a character is halved.

The only exception is when you apply ongoing damage while weakened. The target still takes the full amount of ongoing.

10. False. LttS is a melee attack, cover only matters on ranged attacks.

To be more specific, cover from allies. 

11. True. The only reason you can't flank with an ally, is if you or that ally are dazed or can't take actions.

Or if the enemy is invisible or if there's no line of effect.

12. True. Restrain doesn't hinder flanking. 

13. False. There need to be 2 squares between you and the target in order to charge. In this case there's only 1 square.

14. False, because the distance between you and the enemy is too short. If the enemy were 3 squares above you, you'd have to make some godly athletics check to jump 10 feet straight into the air.

DC 100, to be precise.

15. True, unless specified otherwise like the Pixie.

16. False. You need to gain HP in order to gain additional HP.

17. True. Rattling requires being trained in intimidate.

18. True, true, false. You can only downgrade one action to one other action.

19. False. You can always remark if a power allows you to.

20. True. THP don't stack.

21. True. The extra damage is only applied to charge attacks. Trip Up is a different power (not a charge), so no bonus damage.

22. False, but I'm not sure.

Yes, Rain of Blows is part of the charge action, so the extra damage is applied to all attacks.

23. A bit of a weird question, because shifting doesn't provoke OA's. I think the player can make the athletics check to jump as part of the move, but needs to clear DC 50 to succesfully over a medium enemy. If he doesn't make it, he loses two squares of movement. 

Yep, you can use athletics to jump as part of any form of movement.

24. True, you can choose any origin square for a close blast, even in the air.

25. True, you can only use a class feature if you have that feature. Likewise, a fighter who powerswaps for Majestic Halo also can't use Divine Sanction here.

26. False. You can only sustain a power on future turns.

27. False, I think. I believe there's nothing in the rules that says different vulnerabilities don't stack. But this is debatable because it approaches munchkin territory.

After checking the rules compendium, I think this wrong though. Same vulnerabilities don't stack, and I'd rule that fire is a part of all, so no stacking.

28. False. I believe the damage is halved after applying modifiers.

29. True. Sneak attack damage is extra damage dealt by the power, so it's maximized as well.

30. True, false. That last one carries some DM's discretion with it though.

31. True. 

32. False. A Stinking Cloud isn't considered Hazardous Terrain, so the monster doesn't get a saving throw.

And by Hazardous I mean Hindering. But I think I'm wrong here, because hindering terrain is specified as terrain features that punish creatures for entering it or moving through it, where punishment is also damage.

33. True, but only if you use the Avalanche Craghammer for the MBA.

34. False. They save against the effect that dazes them, which then also takes the immobilize with it.

35. False, because you didn't make a Stealth check. You can't even make the check because you teleport first, and then become invisible. If you were invisible and then moved, you could make the check. 

36. False. Although the power grants two attacks, you still need to specify the target(s) of the power when you use it.

37. False, assuming they can't see their destination square because of the Cloud. You can only teleport to squares you can see.

38. False. You can only use Immediate Reactions after the effects that triggered them are applied. Dazed creatures can't take IA's, so no Shrug It Off. 

39. True.

40. False. Sliding triggers neither OA's not the Battle Guardian stance. Shifting does.

41. True.

42. False. They don't get the flanking bonus due to invisibility, but being dazed always makes you grant combat advantage.

43. True, as long as it's not a close burst or blast.

44. False. You are not your own ally.

45. True. Weird, but true. 

46. True, unless there's some weird effect where a marked enemy that shifts provokes OA's.

47. B, I believe. Making a Coup de Grace is a Standard Action, while the Warlord's granted MBA is a free action.

Long, but cool. Q8, 13, 14 and 23 are unclear to me.

I expected a question about failing extra saving throws, and whether that would count as a failed saving throw for powers that care about such things. Q49?

EDIT: after reading TSI's answers, I learned a couple of things. Didn't get quite all of them correct, but enough that I continue to have fiath in my ability to make rules decisions at the table 
Svendj would you mind putting that into one, or less Sblocks.  Its kinda unruly as a giant block of Sblocks.  Like, if you want to separate them, make it 10 at a time at least?
Show
Going to postpone putting up the answers until Sunday (or until the person who asked me to wait posts).
Show
aaaah the tension!!!!

aaaah the tension!!!!

Sorry Noct
Show
Maltese Falchion's Answers

1.  False.  Immobilization is not the same as being completely parylyzed.

2.  True.  If a player wants to waste a move action only moving their beast around, I see no reason to not allow it.

3.  False.  Characters can continue to be damaged while below zero hit points, so I see no reason for ongoing damage to end as long as the character is still alive.  Unconcious is not the same as dead.  Fire still smoldering on the soon-to-be corpse, etc.

4.  False.  The power clearly states that the Second Wind is used, which would include benefits.  It doesn't say something like, "regain healing points AS IF you had used your second wind."

5.  False.  This is the basis for some nasty Tactical Warpriest builds that double tap on punishments.

6.  True.  One immediate per customer, kthx!

7.  False.  A natural 20 always hits, for full critical goodies.

8.  True.  Forced movement is voluntary on the part of the character inflicting it.  You could push them 0 squares and still knock them prone.

9.  Unclear.  Does the weakened condition persist past the caster's turn?

10.  Unclear.  Depends on the warlord's positioning in relation to both creatures in question.  Diagram, please?

11.  False.  They could still be dangerous on the ground.  Halfling ankle-biters and what have you.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />12.  False.  I don't recall anything preventing a restrained character from being a flanking partner.  Restraint is not paralysis.  They could still be dangerous!

13.  True.  As long as they have flight speed as a movement mode, sure.

14.  False.  Athletics covers jumping, not jumping and attacking.  Now, if a power included a jump and an attack we would be in business.  I would probably house rule this to allow it to happen at a table, though.  2 squares of altitude isn't a lot, and everyone should have a ranged option anyway.

15.  True.  God, why would you do that to a tiny creature?

16.  False.  The extra healing looks to be conditional upon spending the surge, or else there would be an extra comma there.  "Can spend a healing surge, and regain Xd6 extra hit points." would make it possible to get them without the surge.

17.  True.  Intimidation training is required, but weapons don't have the keyword, powers do.

18.  False.  Standard can become one move, or one minor.

19.  False.  Divine Sanction is still a mark and can be overwritten by other marks, but the paladin could attack the creature again to re-Sanction it. 

20.  True.  The larger pool of THPs applies.

21.  True.  The extra damage would apply to the MBA used on the charge, but not Trip Up.

22.  False.  The extra damage would apply to Rain of Blows, as it is being used as part of the charge.  Nasty!

23.  Might be true?  Why on earth wouldn't you just shift around and refluff.  I hate jumping rules and don't even want to look them up at the table.

24.  True.  The square above the monk is still adjacent to the sorcerer.

25.  False.  Divine Sanction is not Divine Challenge.  And Human Blackguards grabbing that divine sanction at-will makes them pretty much complete defenders again.  Go Hooomans!

26.  False.  Pretty sure sustainables automatically last until the end of the creator's next turn, at which point they need to be sustained, and not before that.

27.  True.  Different vulnerabilities stack.

28.  False.  Pretty sure it would be 7.  (8 +5 vuln = 13/2 for insubstantial = 7)  This came up in one of Melo's Revenant threads, but Insubstantial is the last thing to be factored in during damage calculations.

29.  True.

30.  False, but might as well be true as very few DMs will tolerate a Reaper's Axe recursion loop or something similar.

31.  I have no idea.  I don't even want to think about it.

32.  False.  Forced movement into hindering terrain gets a save, but a Stinking Cloud is not hindering terrain, it's a hazard and good teamwork to push enemies into it.

33.  True.  Avalanche has to be in the main hand, and that was stated.

34.  False.  The character saved against the effect that was dazing them (it also had something else, but they saved against the entire effect).

35.  Refer to the Rules of Hidden Club.

36.  True.  If there's another available target.

37.  False.  Need line of sight to teleport, and the Cloud of Darkness explicitly blocks that.

38.  False.  Dazed would prevent the immediate reaction.  Poor barb.

39.  False.  Unless the power specifies the health loss, then it only takes healing surges.  And if the victim has none...?  Sorry!

40.  False.  Forced movement does not provoke.

41.  True.  The triggering condition is being fulfilled here by both creatures, at different points, so either is valid.

42.  False.  Dazed grants combat advantage.

43.  False.  Targetting is very specific, if it was able to be self targetted it would be, "You, or a creature within 5 squares of you." or somesuch.

44.  False.  See #43.

45.  I don't know, we gave up on the creatures-as-cover stuff a long time ago because it was a pain in the rear.

46.  True.  CC covers shifts/attacks and is an immediate interrupt, Combat Superiority covers OAs.

47.  Unconscious (save ends) is just another way of saying dead (save does not end).  Creature is boned regardless, and if the wizard unloaded a daily, I'm fine with letting them go to town on the hapless schmuck.

Whew!  That took longer than I thought.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Going to postpone putting up the answers until Sunday (or until the person who asked me to wait posts).

Any news ?
Alright, let's see what happens.

Show
The 4e DM Quiz 1) A player subjected to the Prone and Immobilized conditions at the same time is unable to stand up. F according to rules, but true according to what I believe the spirit of the rules to be. 2) A player that does not move on their turn can command their Fey Beast Companion to move. T, so long as the player did not convert their move action to a minor. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di... 3) When you fall unconscious from being reduced below 0 hit points conditions such as ongoing damage, daze and stun fall off. F 4) When you second wind using Armor of Dwarven Vigor you do not get the bonus to defenses. F? I don't know why you wouldn't www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di... 5) You cannot Opportunity Attack and Immediate Interrupt as a response to the same action. My gut says T, but I think that an OA is not considered an Immediate Interrupt, which you only get 1 of per turn, so it's probably F. 6) You cannot make an Immediate Interrupt and an Immediate Reaction to the same action. T 7) If you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll and your total attack does not meet the enemy's defense the attack is a hit but not a critical hit. T 8) A player who uses Moment of Glory is able to push the enemies they hit any number of squares up to and including 3. If the player chooses they may push the targets 0 squares and suffer no penalty. T Pushes, pulls, slides, are all voluntary. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/da... 9) A Sorcerer uses Flame Spiral while Weakened. The initial damage of the Flame Spiral will be reduced by half but the automatic damage from the effect of Flame Spiral will not be reduced. T www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di... 10) A Warlord using Lamb to the Slaughter on a medium sized enemy placed directly behind a large enemy suffers a penalty for the target having cover. F. It's not a ranged attack. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di... 11) A player can provide flanking for an ally while they are prone. F 12) A player can proved flanking for an ally while they are restrained. I would rule this as T. 13) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them and that player has a fly speed of 5. The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy. T 14) A player on the ground wishes to attack a flying enemy two squares directly above them wishes to make an athletics check as part of a charge to charge up. The player is allowed to charge directly up at the enemy. Probably F, but I'd let the player do it. 15) A tiny creature with Reach 0 must enter a player's square to attack it. I have no idea, but I always have creatures adjacent to make my mats stay nice and pretty. 16) A player receives an Inspiring Word from a level 9 Warlord. If that player so chooses they may opt not to spend a healing surge but still regains the additional 2d6 hit points. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di... 17) The Rattling keyword on weapons have no effect if the player weilding the weapon is not trained in intimidate. T 18) You can downgrade a Standard Action to a Move Action, a Move action to a Minor Action or a Standard Action to two Minor Actions. F 19) A creature marked by another player after it has been subject to a paladin's Ardent Vow cannot be remarked by that power unless the paladin resuses it on the target. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/di... 20) A player with 5 temporary hit points is granted 10 temporary hit points. The player has a total of 10 temporary hit points. T 21) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses the power Trip Up. The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to the Trip Up attack. It's still a charge attack as far as I'm concerned, so I would allow it. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/it... 22) A Fighter with a Horned Helm charges a target and uses Boots of the Mighty Charge to replace the melee basic attack at the end of the charge with Rain of Blows. The extra damage from Horned Helm cannot be applied to any of the attacks from Rain of Blows. Again, I would allow the extra damage. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/it... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 23) A Pursuit Avenger with a Dex modifier of 4 uses Angelic Alacrity. During that shift the player may make an athletics check to jump over an enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity. Shouldn't the Avenger just shift around the enemy? www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 24) A Monk stands in the square directly between a Large Ogre and a Sorcerer. The Sorcerer is able to use Burning Spray on the air above the Monk's head hitting the Ogre but not the Monk. T www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 25) A Blackguard uses the power Majestic Halo. The Blackguard is unable to mark players with Divine Sanction since the Blackguard does not have the ability Divine Challenge. I have no experience with Blackguards. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 26) A Warlock uses Crown of Stars on his turn. The Warlock has an extra minor action left is able to sustain the power on that same turn. F. No need to sustain on the first turn. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 27) An enemy is Vulnerable 5 Fire and Vulnerable 10 All. They are hit for 8 fire damage. They take a total of 18 fire damage. T 28) An enemy is insubstantial and vulnerable 5 fire. They are hit for 8 fire damage. They take a total of 9 fire damage. F. They take 6. 29) A Rogue critically hits with a power and chooses to apply their sneak attack damage to that attack. The damage is automatically maximized as part of the effect of the critical hit. T 30) Players are limited to 1 Free Action attack and 1 Non-attack Free action per turn. F 31) A player is taking ongoing 10 damage (Save Ends) and chooses to delay their turn. The player takes 10 damage at the start of where their turn would normally be in initiative order but does not save against that effect until they have finished delaying and take the rest of their turn. T 32) A Barbarian uses Brutal Slam to push a creature into a Stinking Cloud. The creature is allowed to attempt a saving throw to avoid entering the area. If it saves, it does not enter the cloud. T, but I think it falls prone in the square right adjacent. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 33) A Ranger charges with an Avalanche Craghammer in their Mainhand and a Vanguard Craghammer in their offhand. They can add the 1d10 extra damage from Avalanche Weapon and the 1d8 extra damage from Vanguard Weapon to the damage of their Melee Basic Attack. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/it... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/it... 34) A player with Superior Will starts their turn with the condition "Dazed and Immobilized (Save Ends)" on them. The player attempts and succeeds a saving throw against the Dazed condition but is still immobilized. This is confusing, as nomenclature has not been consistent. I would say T, though. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/fe... 35) A Vampire uses the Attack Swarm of Shadows to make themselves invisible. Creatures who wish to attack that player must make a Perception check vs the Vampire's Stealth check to determine what square the player is in before attacking. F unless the vampire has moved and made a stealth check. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 36) A Ranger uses Twin Strike. If both attacks are on the same target and the target dies from the first attack the ranger is able to choose another target for the second attack. F, at least in my game. Otherwise, a player would never make the decision to attack two enemies. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 37) A Cloud of Darkness stands between an Eladrin player and where they would like to be. That player is able to Fey Step through the Cloud but not into it. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 38) A Barbarian hit with an attack that Dazes (Save ends) can use Shrug it Off to grant himself a saving throw. I'm not sure if Shrug it Off is an immediate interrupt -- in which case true -- or not -- in which case F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 39) A player his hit by an attack that would cause them to lose a healing surge but they have no healing surgers remaining. The player instead loses health equal to their healing surge value. I'm not sure but I'd rule as T 40) A creature adjacent to a Knight and subject to his defender aura is slid two squares away from the Knight. When the creature leaves the square adjacent to the Knight that character can make an Opportunity Attack against that Creature. F www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... 41) A Thief with Agile Opportunist is slid through two squares adjacent to a creature and into a square adjacent to a second creature (no longer adjacent to the first). The Thief may make the Melee Basic Attack granted by that feat against the creature in the middle of the slide or against the creature at the end of the slide. T www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/fe... 42) Two players flank and invisible dazed enemy. The players do not have combat advantage against that enemy. T, you must be able to see the enemy 43) A creature can choose itself as the target of a power that states "A creature within 5 squares of you." T 44) A player can choose itself as the target of a power that states "An ally within 5 squares of you." F 45) A creature can still provide allies with cover against ranged attacks even if it is prone, stunned, hidden or invisible. T 46) A creature marked by a fighter is adjacent to it. If the creature moves the fighter will be able to make an Opportunity Attack and stop its movement with Combat Superiority. If the creature shifts the fighter will be able to make a melee basica attack with Combat Challenge but will not stop its movement. A creature cannot provoke both an OA and a Combat challenge during the same move action. T www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/cl... Bonus: 47) A Wizard casts Sleep on a creature which fails its first saving throw causing that creature to go unconscious. A Ranger, who is adjacent to the target, uses Twin Strike on the creature, Action Points (takes an MBA from a Warlord's Bravura Presience) and Twin Strikes again. Assuming all the ranger's attacks hit, what happens? The creature dies? The ranger should be able to get off 1 coup de grace before the creature wakes up. www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/po... www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/cl... A) Every attack the ranger made against the unconscious creature critically hits. The creature remains unconscious. F B) Both sets of Twin Strikes the ranger made crtically hit, but the extra Melee Basic Attack granted by the Warlord does not critically hit. The creature remains unconscious. F C) The first set of Twin Strikes critically hit, but the creature wakes up and the rest of the attacks d not critically hit. The creature is awake. T D) The first hit from Twin Strike critically hits but the creature wakes up and the rest of the attacks do not critically hit. The creature is awake. T Have fun everyone. I will post the answers in 48 hours. I look forward to the discussion.

Any news ?

I have my answer key at home, but I have not been able to make it home for any length of time since Sunday.  As soon as I do so I will post it.
Show
For all answers, the answer is the same...

If the DM says so, yes. That doesn't necessarily make it awesome, however.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
1) No worries then.  If the DM wants they can even completely change the rule to something else and leave it that way forever if you please.  They should, however, know what the actual rule is before they change it.

2) That's not really a rules issue but more of a group issue.  If you know the rules but your players do not and they are unruly about it you might want to have a chat with your players.  If they really think a certain rule is dumb see why and try to figure out what to do from there.

3) No worries then?  I mean, if you played with no rules at all and didn't change the outcome of the encounter (heroes rule baddies drool) and everyone had fun more power to you?  That really isn't the point of this at all.

Perhaps not, but it's something to consider. People are on this board all the time asking about how to speed up their games. An unknown but probably not insignificant amount of game time gets spent on disputes that don't have a significant difference on the game. We've all been in games in which whether or not someone could receive or grant a +2 bonus got discussed for 5 minutes, and then when the roll is made the bonus or lack thereof turns out not to matter in the slightest. Some people even argue about meaningless bonuses after the roll has been made. Yes, obviously sometimes the bonuses matter, but the benefit of getting them right every time is easily outweighed by the amount of time it takes to get them right.

I very much agree with this. It makes me happy.

One of my players is constantly rules-lawyering. Every situation, it seems has a rule that can be twisted so as to be interpreted in his favor. It is particularly annoying when the interpretation doesn't matter one way or another.

This weekend I found the solution. I simply found the section of the DMG that describes the DM's role in the game. Rather than looking up every rule to verify what the rule actually states (the particularly frustrating part is that this particular rules lawyer is verifiably incorrect more often than not)... I just show the section in the DMG about 'DM is final arbiter'.

I hate to pull the DM card, but the meaningless rules squabbles means less play time for everyone and the player isn't gaining anything meaningful except an annoyed DM. Surely that trumps a +2 circumstantial bonus on a disarm check.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

I very much agree with this. It makes me happy.

One of my players is constantly rules-lawyering. Every situation, it seems has a rule that can be twisted so as to be interpreted in his favor. It is particularly annoying when the interpretation doesn't matter one way or another.

This weekend I found the solution. I simply found the section of the DMG that describes the DM's role in the game. Rather than looking up every rule to verify what the rule actually states (the particularly frustrating part is that this particular rules lawyer is verifiably incorrect more often than not)... I just show the section in the DMG about 'DM is final arbiter'.

I hate to pull the DM card, but the meaningless rules squabbles means less play time for everyone and the player isn't gaining anything meaningful except an annoyed DM. Surely that trumps a +2 circumstantial bonus on a disarm check.
Sign In to post comments