No Mac support - pathetic

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I was thinking the other day that I would like to get back into Magic. I checked to see if Magic Online (probably the way to go for my lifestyle) was available on Mac. I remember years ago that it wasn't, but surely, with us almost into 2013 that this is something they would have rectified by now?

Nope.

That's just pathetic. 
Either accept that the only way to every play on a Mac is through a VM (which I've been doing for years now) or give up ever on playing on a Mac. Kind of pointless for anyone to pop in here every couple of years and start another "Why no love for Mac" thread.

Same goes for playing on Linux!
Either accept that the only way to every play on a Mac is through a VM (which I've been doing for years now) or give up ever on playing on a Mac. Kind of pointless for anyone to pop in here every couple of years and start another "Why no love for Mac" thread.

I disagree, but saying "this is pathetic" isn't exactly the way to go about it either.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I disagree, but saying "this is pathetic" isn't exactly the way to go about it either.

(Assuming you disagree with what I said...)

You think there's a point to people repeatedly asking for non-Windows versions of MtGO when its next-edition client-side technology is Windows specific? Or, do you think there's hope that V5 (4-10 years out) might go in a different direction and people should voice their support for that now?

Wouldn't it be more productive to nag Microsoft to port their technology to the Mac?

You think there's a point to people repeatedly asking for non-Windows versions of MtGO when its next-edition client-side technology is Windows specific? Or, do you think there's hope that V5 (4-10 years out) might go in a different direction and people should voice their support for that now?

Wouldn't it be more productive to nag Microsoft to port their technology to the Mac?

Snort and LOL.   Due to some specific technology work problems I am dealing with right now, you have no idea how funny that last line is to me.  Thank you for letting me now laugh at something that was really pissing me off....

.....now I still have to find a solution, but I am not as mad anymore. 

Might be more productive to nag mac to be more flexable.  Either that or pay half the price for the same computer and get to do more?
Might be more productive to nag mac to be more flexable.  Either that or pay half the price for the same computer and get to do more?

I wasn't going to suggest to the OP that he abandon the Mac platform, us Mac users don't usually respond well to such advice.

But, about the flexibility...You can run Windows on a Mac but you can't run Mac on a Windows. Doesn't Mac win on flexibility? I'm not talking about just running a VM, you can boot up Windows as well (last I checked, but my info could be out of date).

You could support the Mono project. It could become an attractive option for a Mac OS or Linux solution.
But, about the flexibility...You can run Windows on a Mac but you can't run Mac on a Windows. Doesn't Mac win on flexibility? I'm not talking about just running a VM, you can boot up Windows as well (last I checked, but my info could be out of date).

You are seriously confusing your terms.

The reason you cannot run Mac OS on a regular computer is because Apple actively prevents it. It is possible to run Mac OS on non-Apple hardware, but you must circumvent the restrictions that Apple has put in place.

I wasn't going to suggest to the OP that he abandon the Mac platform, us Mac users don't usually respond well to such advice.

That was probably more due to necessity.  Since windows has a vastly greater market share thus more things are developed for it and then decided not to port over to Mac for incremental gains.  Which is also something people have to live with if they want to go into a niche product.

Though I would also hazard to guess that you can dual boot a non-mac PC and have been able to do that for longer.  Maybe not for Mac OS, but for other OS like Linux.  Microsoft doesn't not control the hardware while Mac does.  So it puts things in a different perspective.  Microsoft and other OS have to take whatever hardware is thrown at them while Mac OS is very limited thus causing the feel of more stability since less variables and less/none rogue drivers.

It was said more in jest to switch over.  I usually save my anti-mac stuff for people who try to overstate and oversell it to un-expecting people.
You could support the Mono project. It could become an attractive option for a Mac OS or Linux solution.

I think the Beta Client is based on WPS and the Mono project is .Net. Is this a Windows apples and oranges sort of thing?

I think the Beta Client is based on WPS and the Mono project is .Net. Is this a Windows apples and oranges sort of thing?

But it would cover the current client, which is built using .NET.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

The Beta uses WPF, Windows Presentation Foundation, which is part of the .NET Framework.
The Beta uses WPF, Windows Presentation Foundation, which is part of the .NET Framework.

I'll plead ignorance on Windows technology. Is WPF a sub-set of .NET? I mean, if something supports .NET does that also mean WPF is supported? Or, does that mean once you have .NET support, adding WPF support is just an incremental change?

From the Mono website:

At this point, no group in the Mono project has plans to implement Windows Presentation Foundation APIs as part of the project.

We do not have any plans because the project is too large and there has not been any serious interest from the community to make this effort move forward.

There are very few game developers that support both.  While I agree it would be great for them to do so there are tons of games bigger than MTGO that are not on both still.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
The harsh reality is WoTC can live without the 4-6% of you running Mac OS. Especially since there is a not insignificant cost to do so. And honestly, in this day in age if you are running Mac OS you should be well aware of the lack of programs for the platform.

They would be probably be better focused on feasiblility testing for a mobile version of MTGO.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

They would be probably be better focused on feasiblility testing for a mobile version of MTGO.

Now that I agree with.  I am a pc user but have both an ipad and iphone which I think is very common.  I think that would be INSANELY profitable for WOTC and they need to get on that asap.  Come on Hasbro give WOTC some funding to make this happen.

PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
I play MTGO on my Macbook just fine, using Bootcamp. It's pretty simple really.

No offense meant, but I can't resist saying with a handle like Indie_McEmopants, I'd have bet a lot of donuts you owned a Mac. ;) 

Stereotypes are awful, aren't they?
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

No offense meant, but I can't resist saying with a handle like Indie_McEmopants, I'd have bet a lot of donuts you owned a Mac. ;) 

Stereotypes are awful, aren't they?

He is owning his stereotype at least. 
PureMTGO.com
No offense taken. I actually chose it (rather, stole it from Questionable Content) to be ironic. But then later realized that making fun of hipsters was itself the epitome of hipsterdom. Ah well. Stuck with it now :-)
No offense taken. I actually chose it (rather, stole it from Questionable Content) to be ironic. But then later realized that making fun of hipsters was itself the epitome of hipsterdom. Ah well. Stuck with it now :-)

I thought just uncool people like me made fun of hipsters?
PureMTGO.com
OP's point is very important. If you don't have an x86/x64 computer running Windows, you can't play MTGO. Every ticking minute, Windows becomes more and more irrelevant. With MTGO's long release cycles, Wizards is taking a huge risk by trying the future version of the product to Windows. What if Windows continues its death spiral? Can an open-platform MTGOv5 be released in time?
Huge risk ey?

Latest steam survey (which is a gamers platform that supports both Windows and Mac but doesn't support Linux for now) shows that:

Show
Windows 7 64 bit59.32%-0.38% Windows 7 14.09% -0.11% Windows XP 32 bit 11.20% -0.69% Windows Vista 64 bit 4.74% -0.56% Windows Vista 32 bit 3.70% -0.09% Windows 8 64 bit 1.85% +0.71% MacOS 10.8.2 64 bit 1.60% +1.30% MacOS 10.6.8 64 bit 0.98% +0.20% MacOS 10.7.5 64 bit 0.69% +0.69% MacOS 10.7.4 64 bit 0.54% -0.33% Windows XP 64 bit 0.49% +0.01% Windows 8 0.22% +0.06% MacOS 10.8.1 64 bit 0.12% -0.64% Other 0.46%

Meaning that widows takes up  95,61% while Mac makes 3,93%.

Out of those 4 percent X percent use (could use) windows on a dual boot to play Mtgo.

Which platform makes more sence to support?

I for one agree that it would be a good move for Wizards to make it also mac compatible but I refuse to believe that would make "huge profits", or be a "big mistake" if neglected etc.

I for one agree that it would be a good move for Wizards to make it also mac compatible but I refuse to believe that would make "huge profits", or be a "big mistake" if neglected etc. 

I'm a Mac user and I agree with these sentiments.

Sign In to post comments