SBA during combat damage step

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
this is part of the combat damage step

510.3. Third, any abilities that triggered on damage being assigned or dealt go on the stack. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.” )

510.4. Fourth, the active player gets priority. Players may cast spells and activate abilities.

am I correct in assuming that in this case SBA are checked AFTER (some) triggers are put on the stack? if so, what is the reason for this exception?
proud member of the 2011 community team
Hm, that is weird. Especially considering these rules:

116.2a Triggered abilities can trigger at any time, including while a spell is being cast, an ability is being activated, or a spell or ability is resolving. (See rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities.") However, nothing actually happens at the time an ability triggers. Each time a player would receive priority, each ability that has triggered but hasn't yet been put on the stack is put on the stack. See rule 116.5.

116.5. Each time a player would get priority, the game first performs all applicable state-based actions as a single event (see rule 704, "State-Based Actions"), then repeats this process until no state-based actions are performed. Then triggered abilities are put on the stack (see rule 603, "Handling Triggered Abilities"). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the player who would have received priority does so.

It's unclear, but I'd guess that 510.3 is just reminding what 116.5 says, that triggered abilities go on the stack before players get priority. It seems to me that SBAs are meant to be checked before the third step.

But out of curiousity, does the order really matter? Is there a case where this could make a difference?
depending where you copy your rules from it takes formatting with it
open the HTML view and remove them

it matters with Spirit Link and for example deathtriggers
in this case Spirit Link always has to be put on the stack before deathtriggers
proud member of the 2011 community team

I'm copying from the browser, from the rules' .txt file. Maybe the browser adds tags behind the scenes? Anyway, I copied it to another source and pasted it back so it got fixed. I'll check HTML tags next time this happens. Thanks.

it matters with Spirit Link and for example deathtriggers
in this case Spirit Link always has to be put on the stack before deathtriggers

Ah, I see.

I'm copying from the browser, from the rules' .txt file. Maybe the browser adds tags behind the scenes? Anyway, I copied it to another source and pasted it back so it got fixed. I'll check HTML tags next time this happens. Thanks.

If you right click your browser should have a 'paste as plain text' option that will paste the text without the tags.

If you right click your browser should have a 'paste as plain text' option that will paste the text without the tags.

Cool, very convenient. Thanks!

Back to the question, I think it'll be more clear if rule 510.3 to said "trigger" instead of "go on the stack":
510.3. Third, any abilities that triggered on damage being assigned or dealt trigger. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.” )

This way it doesn't sound like it's an exception to 116.5, while still sounding like it goes on the stack at that point (which it does in a vacuum).
So, what'll be? Stack triggers before perfoming SBAs? Or disregard rule 510.3?

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

I think everything is already covered by the rules, but its just written in a little bit confusing way.  You have to follow all the referred to rules.

First, the rule in question.
510.3. Third, any abilities that triggered on damage being assigned or dealt go on the stack. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”)

Now, we go to rule 603 as instructed:
603.3. Once an ability has triggered, its controller puts it on the stack as an object that’s not a card the next time a player would receive priority. See rule 116, “Timing and Priority.”

Now we go to rule 116 as instructed:
116.2a Triggered abilities can trigger at any time, including while a spell is being cast, an ability is being activated, or a spell or ability is resolving. (See rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities.”) However, nothing actually happens at the time an ability triggers. Each time a player would receive priority, each ability that has triggered but hasn’t yet been put on the stack is put on the stack. See rule 116.5.

Now we go to 116.5 as instructed
116.5. Each time a player would get priority, the game first performs all applicable state-based actions as a single event (see rule 704, “State-Based Actions”), then repeats this process until no state-based actions are performed. Then triggered abilities are put on the stack (see rule 603, “Handling Triggered Abilities”). These steps repeat in order until no further state-based actions are performed and no abilities trigger. Then the player who would have received priority does so.

After following all the instructions, SBAs happen first then the triggered abilities go on the stack.

Also, rule 510.3 is not unique in its wording.  Every step says it.  See the rules for upkeep, draw, main phase, end step, etc.  They all use the same wording as 510.3

Also, rule 510.3 is not unique in its wording.  Every step says it.  See the rules for upkeep, draw, main phase, end step, etc.  They all use the same wording as 510.3

But rule 504.2 have no reference on 603. This omission can confuse too.