Ideas Needed for Planar Bad Guys

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm looking to introduce a serious "big bad empire" as my characters reach the end of Heroic tier. I want to start putting in clues and foreshadowing to these bad guys, so that way when they reach Paragon, these baddies can enter the game with full force. 

Now I've always liked the idea of the Covenant from Halo, a disparate array of races united under one banner. I'd like to do something similar for these bad guys, but instead of aliens, I'm thinking of a crazy alliance of various crazy races from across the planes.

First things that come to mind are the githyanki and perhaps the illithids, but I'd like to pick the forum's collective brain for unusual and unconventional enemies that could be members of this multi-planar evil empire. Even homebrew or original creatures would be welcome additions.
So I'm looking to introduce a serious "big bad empire" as my characters reach the end of Heroic tier. I want to start putting in clues and foreshadowing to these bad guys, so that way when they reach Paragon, these baddies can enter the game with full force. 

Now I've always liked the idea of the Covenant from Halo, a disparate array of races united under one banner. I'd like to do something similar for these bad guys, but instead of aliens, I'm thinking of a crazy alliance of various crazy races from across the planes.

First things that come to mind are the githyanki and perhaps the illithids, but I'd like to pick the forum's collective brain for unusual and unconventional enemies that could be members of this multi-planar evil empire. Even homebrew or original creatures would be welcome additions.

You can borrow one of mine if you like...

Evil genie consortium that deals in wishes and powerful magical items & creatures. If you are familiar with Star Trek, imagine super magically powerful Ferengi. They instigate wars and imbalances to increase demand for wishes and items (which they can then provide). Basically they profit off of misery and are indulgent hedonistic jerks on top of it all. They have riches, influence and raw power in droves so they have control of a lot of beings.

I'm on a journey of enlightenment, learning and self-improvement. A journey towards mastery. A journey that will never end. If you challenge me, prepare to be challenged. If you have something to offer as a fellow student, I will accept it. If you call yourself a master, prepare to be humbled. If you seek me, look to the path. I will be traveling it.

Proudly playing in many wrong ways. I'm not afraid of playing wrong according to the rules. Why are you?

100 Crack Reply of the Yagamifire. You are already wrong.

It's going to really stretch disbelief for any D&D geek to see the githyanki and illithids working together. The origin of the githyanki is that they were illithid slaves who revolted and took to the Astral Sea.

Of course, that could be part of the mystery of this alliance...you could satisfy said D&D geek by having some NPC sages shocked, or maybe even disbelieving, of this alliance.
I'm sure the forum will come up with some good stuff for you. But also go to your players. Find out who they'd like to go up against, and see if you can make it work. Almost anything can work in D&D.

Me, I like the Quom, from Manual of the Planes. As written, they don't tend to work with others, but I like their story, and it wouldn't be hard to incorporate them with other creatures. Like I said, almost anything can work.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

The Githyanki already have a good touch of this by default, considering they're ether-space pirates with a weird alliance to dragons. Leave out the illithids, add a couple other strange bedfellows to the Githyanki Charter (bauriar and some devils have similar warrior race tendencies, if you want suggestions) and you're probably set.

There are also a lot of random "seeking X" races from the planes areas.  Any of the creatures in the Astral Sea that have a strong goal of finding something could unite with pirates for very clear reasons.  That alone should allow there to be a good set of hodgepodge enemies.

On a different note the thing I liked about the Covenant (keep in mind I've only read 1 of the Halo books and played very little of the games) was that they were from wildly different backgrounds but they all had a unified religion.  You could unite these creatures under one banner of belief or another. A powerful primordial could change the way some creatures operate or a god could have captured them all and are holding their enternal souls captive so they do his/her bidding.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This is actually the backbone of my entire campaign setting. Devils run the big enemy army in mine. Your earlier suggestion of Illithids could work. A big ol' Thoon cult raising an empire could be interesting. Undead monsters are token for mish mashing several races together often. Admitted those races are mostly  undead themselves usually, but if it works...

Hope these ideas help spur some of your own. Happy Gaming
I assume he's already ruled out the idea of it being the divine army of Tiamat or Bane, the two gods most likely to be behind such a thing.

This inter-planar alliance is actually based on the destruction of deities, across the planes. I was intrigued by the idea of the githyanki banning worship of the gods, and inhabiting the corpses of dead gods. Taking that idea one step further, this alliance is focused on the destruction of the gods, believing that non-deities have the right to forge their own destinies without divine interference. Through force of might, they bend the inhabitants of various planes to their will, or convince them to join, citing the various atrocities of the various pantheons as justification for a multi-planar revolt. 
I assume he's already ruled out the idea of it being the divine army of Tiamat or Bane, the two gods most likely to be behind such a thing.

This inter-planar alliance is actually based on the destruction of deities, across the planes. I was intrigued by the idea of the githyanki banning worship of the gods, and inhabiting the corpses of dead gods. Taking that idea one step further, this alliance is focused on the destruction of the gods, believing that non-deities have the right to forge their own destinies without divine interference. Through force of might, they bend the inhabitants of various planes to their will, or convince them to join, citing the various atrocities of the various pantheons as justification for a multi-planar revolt. 

If it is based around God destruction not including Primordials would be dam near criminal.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here