Need Advice on Starting gear for LVL2 Monk

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I haven't played 3.5 in years so I'm a bit rusty. I'm playing a monk that will multi-class into ardent but first 2 levels are monk.

My DM is using the DMG which says 900 gold for level 2 characters. But after looking through the books I can't find anything worth spending it on. There are a couple interesting trinkets that have very sititational uses but cost most of the 900.

Since I will be going Psionic class next level I'm open to grabbing an item to use down the road. But mostly I don't see anything worth while. Is there anything worth getting at this point or should I just bank it for later use?
maybe you can spend it in gems or buy MW Range weapons
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.

I'd get masterwork gauntlets for 300~, masterwork light cross bow for 300~ and then some shuriken. Then just buy whatever looks cool, and save the rest. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

but he need buy at last 2 MW guantlets to do her flurry of blows that are 700+ gps are better have the range MW weapon.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
I'm not sure where Krusk is going with the mwk gauntlets idea.  I suppose there's no rule against the possibility, so maybe you'd get +1 on an attack roll.  But that's two gauntlets @ 300gp each, same as two mwk daggers, and I hope you have two weapon fighting, because you aren't using those non-monk weapons as part of a flurry of blows. 
I'm not sure where Krusk is going with the mwk gauntlets idea.  I suppose there's no rule against the possibility, so maybe you'd get +1 on an attack roll.  But that's two gauntlets @ 300gp each, same as two mwk daggers, and I hope you have two weapon fighting, because you aren't using those non-monk weapons as part of a flurry of blows. 

guantlets are monk weapon because are considered unarmed strike but the price is only for one guantlet
Surprisingly... What Oma said. Another option is to just use the MIC equipping rules; in the back of the book, there's a list of items by level. You're allowed to get 2 items from each level you're starting at (in this case 2) and each lower level.
Also, be sure to grab Practiced Manifester at 3rd level so you can start with 2nd-level powers.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
If your DM is okay with you spending most of your cash on a single item, you could get a healing belt (750 gp); almost anyone can get good use out of the belt, and they remain useful for a long time since the one thing you can usually count on while adventuring is that you'll get injured.

I'd agree with others on the masterwork light crossbow as a good option (darkwood, if you can afford a little extra and want to save some weight), but you can also consider one of the least weapon crystals for it, since they can be transferred later on.

Other than that, you could take the opportunity to pick up some useful adventuring tools that will just generally make your life on the road a bit easier, such as an everburning torch, everlasting rations, or an everfull mug (all handy permanent items, usually accompanied by a Zauber's mutable rod in my own campaign).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Other than that, you could take the opportunity to pick up some useful adventuring tools that will just generally make your life on the road a bit easier, such as an everburning torch, everlasting rations, or an everfull mug (all handy permanent items, usually accompanied by a Zauber's mutable rod in my own campaign).

I've always loved his Swiss Army Rod...   *seconded*

I would assume you get both gloves when you buy a set? 

My thought being that, although you can't flurry the +1 to hit helps. So you get two melee attack routines. Either a single attack (such as after movement) at normal attack +1 from masterwork. The other is when you full attack (and switch to kicks) at normal attack -2, but you get two of them. 

Alternatively, they are a monk weapon and you just flurry with them. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am leaning towards the Healing Belt since it seems I'm likely to get the most benefit out of that. And not likely to need a replacement item for belt slot for sometime.

Some of the other utility items, while nice, I could easily hold off on getting and make due with the 1 use consumable versions that are cheaper. And MW stuff seems a bit pricey for an item I'm likely to replace with a slightly better bonus in a short while.
I would assume you get both gloves when you buy a set? 

My thought being that, although you can't flurry the +1 to hit helps. So you get two melee attack routines. Either a single attack (such as after movement) at normal attack +1 from masterwork. The other is when you full attack (and switch to kicks) at normal attack -2, but you get two of them. 

Alternatively, they are a monk weapon and you just flurry with them.

This.  Since they're unarmed attacks, you can flurry.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Seems it's back to the drawing board. The DM has no problem with me spending nearly all my money on one item but does feel that Healing Belt is OP. Given that a Wand of Cure Light Wounds runs the same price but only has 30 cast of 1d8. Where as the belt has 3 cast of 2d8 Daily, which means after 5 days it's done as much healing as the Wand. Plus since it's doing double the amount per cast it reduces the amount of actions needed to be spent healing.

I can kind of see where he is coming from on this. I mean after all most of the other items I was kind of meh on. But when I saw the healing belt there was not much thought as it seemed so much better then everything else I had seen I went right for it. I did continue to look at other items but they were all still meh in comparison to that 3 cast of 2d8 healing per day. Especially since the party is a bunch of level 2s with mabye 8-16HP, meaning it could nearly fully heal most members in one cast.

The DM hinted that he might allow it but if he does and I take it then given how cheap it is we are likely to see a lot of the tougher humaniod monsters, especially the "bosses", using it at well. Effectively giving them 3 rounds of 2d8 healing. With that I'm kind of skeptical on taking it as it could end up making the fights a lot tougher for us.

I've never really used the magic creation rules but I was wandering just how do you price items that have daily casting amounts? Just curious as to how other items stack up in comparison.

The healing belt is better than other healing items. Problem is that healing items suck. 

If you don't like masterwork items just save your cash. 

wand of cure light wounds has 50 charges (not 30) of 1d8+1 healing, for a total average capacity of 275 points, which would take just over 10 days for the belt to match if you're using it in the most efficient way.  The healing belt is handy for PCs because you can take advantage of that endurance across multiple days, while an opponent you face might well be served better with other improved gear, since they won't often be around long enough to gain that benefit.  It also requires a standard action to activate, so it's not a good idea to use it in the middle of a fight if you can avoid it (if your opponent heals themself of 2d8 points of damage, your party should be using that time to damage them while they can't effectively fight back). 

That's true for you as well; unless the need is critical, it's better to defeat your opponent before patching your wounds since they can continue to hurt you until they're down and often deal damage faster than it can be healed (the less efficient uses of the belt are more practical in that sense, since you can get more healing for the time you lose).

The only way to truly tell is to see how it goes in play, but if you're really not allowed to take the belt, there are always other things to buy.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.