Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for December, 2012

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of December, 2012.
Just wanted to say 'thank you' to whoever brought Conley Woods for the daily deck column, I love the short introductions he writes for every deck!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Thanks so much for posting the Art Fight:Ravvnica wallpapers!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
That B/W token deck looks right up my alley...
I want to be Cultured.

Why are the card of the day dates in Portuguese?

EDIT: Now they are back to English.

A Patron of the Moon deck without any Moonfolk to power him out.  Curious.  (Okay there's Uyo & Meloku, but you don't *want* to use them.  And you can't clone them with the shapeshifters.)  You'd think at least a Soratami Cloudskater could fit in...
I have full unlocked grim procession. And I love the deck. only card in the zerker rage I like is the artifact, defesitating! I only wish there was a little more removeal in grim. and a full redesign of rage, cause it sucks!
Just wanted to say 'thank you' to whoever brought Conley Woods for the daily deck column, I love the short introductions he writes for every deck!

It's true, he's been quietly spitting out gold for months now.  Especially now that the type of deck is shown on the link, I hope people who used to gloss over the daily decklist have started giving these writeups the attention they deserve.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

It's true, he's been quietly spitting out gold for months now.  Especially now that the type of deck is shown on the link, I hope people who used to gloss over the daily decklist have started giving these writeups the attention they deserve.

I actually read the ones for the formats I play now - great style and choice of decks.

Duels 2013 Deck designers - WHY NO NEW OR RECENT BLOCK CARDS!!  I understand the delay on the whole things due to the cards being spoiled too early and not being under your control when they make the game and have to preview/test it.  Please just release decks that make sense with the cards they have available - I'd rather be playing Innistrad (or Mirrodin Besieged) archetypal decks than having Gatecrash previews that revolve around cards I'll never see in paper.  Maybe you have the promo unlocks planned to be from the new card pool? Maybe you think that multiplayer casual formats are the most fun when new players transition to Standard knowing none of the mechanics and cards?!

Product diferentiation strategy to seperate from MTGO: Success!
Aquisition strategy & transition to paper or MTGO: fail

Personally I like the fact that MTG is now becoming more open about being cardboard LeGo (differnent things to different people) but surely calling something your number 1 aquisition strategy and then producing players that turn up to our stores and are instantly confused isn't productive.  Align this to the Intro decks/ Deck Builder's toolkit as the base decks and have the unlocks turn it into 'historical Magic Wonderland' and the Promos then deepen that.  AND MAKE SURE IT'S CLEAR WHICH CARDS ARE CURENT ONES - just pop the gosh darn set symbol on them - D13 is only useful if we can mix them with D12 and M! New players turning up to try and build decks off the Xbox game always look dissapointed when you tell them they can't do what they want to, and then play them with the stores Intro decks to show what the 'standard' versions of the decks play like.
LOL i never knew Rakdos, Lord of Riots was uncommons....
I knew Chronic Flooding could be competitive, also I knew Seance could be before Kibler pwned with it, but I just couldn't perfect the deck that would use it. This human reanimator / peddler deck is pretty cool.

Such wacky cards being used is starting to make this Standard feel a little bit more like the original Ravnica. 
Rakdos, Lord of Riots – Return to Ravnica uncommon. The Rakdos Cult is made up of Rings, which are informal groups of people who pay tribute to Rakdos. But the only real organization is that Rakdos is the undisputed leader.

I love the sence of humer but really i want my rare/mithic from my pack then ill just take a lantern.

Winning games/contests http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter
The Nice half of Naughty // Nice could be good for 2HG combo / ramp decks. Your winning head can focus on getting mana while you do the tutoring for him.
Oh... my... goodness.  This card made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside - as a flavour geek I wish *very badly* that I had one of these. 

I especially love the art!  Greg Staples' Diabolic Tutor guy was awesome enough already, but the visual gag here is just too much. 

To The Powers That Be: can you please, please, please make some kind of wallpaper that gives us the different art of this Diabolic Pupil in larger format?
Love the card.

But it should be in the holiday box.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I think you should include text to change the ownership of the card if you put it into the hand of a player who doesn't own the card.  Alternatively, you could just exile the card and say that the player can play it as if it were in his or her hand.
<\ \>tuntman
/don tinfoil hat

obvious foreshadowing to split cards in DGM!!!1!1! 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
As to the 2012 Holiday Card, where/when are these available?
I think you got that switched around, by those charts, Izzet took the #3 spot in points per member, knocking Gruul down to #4, so I guess you do need blue to get ahead...

Wizards gives these cards out to employees and buisiness partners (markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/3694325243...) - they'll probably be a few people who got them and want to trade for them if you're really interested.

I think you should include text to change the ownership of the card if you put it into the hand of a player who doesn't own the card.  Alternatively, you could just exile the card and say that the player can play it as if it were in his or her hand.

The idea, I think - is that like an "un" set, these don't have to be rules-legal (putting a card you don't own into your hand isn't possible in real magic)

Yeah, the holiday cards frequently don't care about the rules. Gifts Given did exactly the same thing (putting cards into a hand other than the owner's), and Evil Presents doesn't really work under the rules either.
Thanks for the info.

Wizards gives these cards out to employees and buisiness partners (markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/3694325243...) - they'll probably be a few people who got them and want to trade for them if you're really interested.

Quote: 

There were a few shifts since two weeks ago but one of them was especially interesting: Gruul moves to #3 on Points per Member, knocking Izzet to #4! Who says you need blue to get ahead?

You have the PPM listed as:

1. Simic   160.11
2. Azorius  160.01
3.  Izzet   149.82
4.  Gruul   148.31

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Re: Wednesday's Daily Decklist:
Just because there are no Frogmites in your Affinity list does not make it stop being an Affinity deck.  Robots is a bad name, and you should feel bad for calling it that. 
Re: Wednesday's Daily Decklist:
Just because there are no Frogmites in your Affinity list does not make it stop being an Affinity deck. Robots is a bad name, and you should feel bad for calling it that.

It is more of a metalcraft deck than an affinity deck.

Guild Update

by Monty Ashley

Actually you wrote the older numbers on top, thinking they were the newer ones. So Gruul was #3 now #4 and Izzet got ahead. While they were really close before. Azorius and Simic were also close in November but Azorius will soon get ahead of Simic if they get points at this pace.

I looove that Reaper King Changeling deck. Delightful.
Changelings are a disgrace to me. Almost up there with Mirrodin and Phyrexian mana. RKing is pretty high, too.
Why is there a distinct lack of variety between casual and competitive decks on Daily Deck?  There's rarely been a Commander or casual deck of late.  Magic is not just for competitve players only.

56866188 wrote:
I knew the attempt to "make the game simpler and more [accessible] to new players" would get forgotten and it sure didn't take long. Gary Adkison
12/21/12 Card of the Day should be Apocalypse. That is all.
Why is there a distinct lack of variety between casual and competitive decks on Daily Deck? There's rarely been a Commander or casual deck of late. Magic is not just for competitve players only.

There was a Commander deck posted yesterday.
When you post edh lists you should really change the formatting so there's a preview window halfway down the page as well. Mouseover is infinitely better than clicking a link for a new page, but clicking is the only way to learn what moggcatcher does.  
Sign In to post comments