NEED HELP WITH ADVENTURE IDEA!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,
  I am a DM for my party and we are playing MYSTARA revised and we combine 3.5 and 2nd edition and the monsters are from 4th edition since we have the books but are made to fit 3.5 rules.Anyway my party is 10 level average and they are going enter the castle of Specularum(Mirros)to retrieve the armor of kings (armor of Halav)(LONG STORY OF WHAT HAPPENED and who rules now lol).The idea for the final room where the armor will be is either a hall of heroes with statues of the greatest heroes (flameflicker,halav before becoming a god etc) and with some riddles each player will become a great hero for the last battle which will be a gold dragon(the guardian of the armor) or a similar hall with statues of nine dragons which each dragon will give one buff for the final battle.I was thinking that if they become high level heroes and then again their characters they will be bored ...Thank you fellow adventurers for your ideas!!!!
I want to help, but I have no idea what you are asking.  Do you want help with what the "buffs" should be?  The final confrontation?  Room design and description?  What are you asking for?
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Hi matyr I would like your opinion of what you like to have in this room as a player.You would like to be a great high level hero for one battle or you would like to have buffs and face the battle with your own character?Also some ideas for room would be appreciated!Thank you
OH I get it!  You're asking which would be a better idea to go with: temporarily raising their level, or buffing them up?

I'd say it's simpler and faster to just given them enough HP, defenses, saves and attack bonuses to make them appear high level, rather than try to do the complicated route and making them high level even temporarily.  Reason: even a temporary raise in level means that you have to add not only everything that I mentioned, but also feats, spell slots,  and the like.  Way too much bookkeeping just for one fight [u]unless this was meant to be the last fight of the entire campaign[/u]; if this was the case, then have the players -- not the DM -- build the high level character sheets ahead of time, because if there's something I would certainly say no to as a DM, is to build a player's character up without his permission.  Not because you can't, but because it disconnects the player from his "new" character.  Sure it might be optimal and awesome, but it's not going to feel "his".

At least with simply boosting their HP, attacks, saves and defenses it's a much simpler matter and the players would still feel that they're actually playing their characters.  Everybody wins I think
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Great answers and help guys thank you i'll start making the buffs.
I'd rather do neither personally.  When I play I want to be able to do as much as I can and if I can't overcome it that means i need to get stronger and try again.  Honestly in this sort of situation I would love to go in there, get my ass handed to me if I cant take it alone with some kind of story-net (like they go to a preset afterlife where they can return to try again later).  I feel like relying on the aid of others on your hero's journey has to end at some point and you have to go it alone for it to be a meaningful accomplishment in the end.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Matyr I totally agree with you but since this will be the last battle of the chapter and they will face a dragon(and in our case gold dragon) for first time I don't want to risk having them dead .
To actually respond to what the OP was asking, I think Chaosfang makes a good point. Upping stats would be significantly easier.

I might also suggest buffs be character dependant. Maybe everyone gets a certain stat boost, but the defender gets a bigger hp buff and resist 10 all. The striker might get a shift as a minor action and an encounter power that let's him double the damage of any one power he hits with. The leader's buffs/debuffs could all get a +2 and the extra heal dice might become d10s instead of d6's.

I think if I did it, I would have a variety of buffs available and let my players decide who got which ones, as it would impact their character directly and you want them to feel like they still have control!
Nice nice ideas.Ok listen to this :The players will find 9 dragon statues in this room (gold,red,white etc).Along the walls there will be stone made pictures and draws from people who worshipping those dragons.The "riddle"is that each player should worship one statue and then they 'll get buffs according to the dragon they choose.For example gold dragon might give resist fire or something like that ,white might give cold extra damage etc....
Nice nice ideas.Ok listen to this :The players will find 9 dragon statues in this room (gold,red,white etc).Along the walls there will be stone made pictures and draws from people who worshipping those dragons.The "riddle"is that each player should worship one statue and then they 'll get buffs according to the dragon they choose.For example gold dragon might give resist fire or something like that ,white might give cold extra damage etc....

I would have the drawings depict some form of kneeling, or worshipping at the statue, and a blessing being bestowed. And then include some way for them to understand what the blessing would be.
I'd rather do neither personally.  When I play I want to be able to do as much as I can and if I can't overcome it that means i need to get stronger and try again.  Honestly in this sort of situation I would love to go in there, get my ass handed to me if I cant take it alone with some kind of story-net (like they go to a preset afterlife where they can return to try again later).  I feel like relying on the aid of others on your hero's journey has to end at some point and you have to go it alone for it to be a meaningful accomplishment in the end.

It's alright that a character should be facing what he can face (and if he isn't capable of facing it at the moment, do some sort of training montage or journey that would eventually let him face such a threat), but note that there will always be times when such exceptions to the rule must exist.

For instance, the first time I ran D&D 4E to a particular group, I wanted them to know what they could become, even though I was not sure if the campaign could last the 2+ years needed to get them there (since we don't meet as often as my main group).  So what I did was I threw a level 23 solo at them.  For a group of level 1 PCs who would only face this monster for one encounter, it would be suicide and a waste of time if I had them just face the creature as is, but at the same time it'd be too time-consuming to make level 21 versions of them straight up.  So I took the advice from DMG 2 -- the very same advice I gave here -- and gave them +100 HP, +20 to hit, +20 damage, +20 to checks and had them go at it.  Interestingly enough, they nearly beat the creature even though they had far less resources than an actual level 21 PC would have... then I had them wake up (resetting their stats to level 1).

While the BBEG of the campaign was supposed to be all sparkle and bang with no rolls and what not at the start of the campaign, I wanted to scare the players a bit.  So during one of the later adventures, I showed them the BBEG's stats (most of which I did out of boredom), and I think from the way they completely freaked out it was clear to them why I didn't bother rolling for attack or damage when the campaign began.

I would have the drawings depict some form of kneeling, or worshipping at the statue, and a blessing being bestowed. And then include some way for them to understand what the blessing would be.

I'd have some glowing effects there too, strong enough that anyone who has even an inkling of capability to notice divine magic (or any sort of magic) to give them a hint that there's a lot of power eminating from the statues, power that can help them defeat gods or something to that degree**.

** always remember to just slightly exaggerate, make the power feel real to the players.
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging