Drasek Riven

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, I'm creating stats for Drasek Riven in an epic-level campaign (he'll be level 24).
His base stats will be built around the ranger class, a mixture of flavor and optimization.

I am looking for suggestions on how to implement his dark speech power.
I was thinking on re-fluffing an existing power, perhaps an encounter power traded with a multiclass feat.
But what power, and from which class ?

I was thinking about an Invoker power that dazes, or somesuch.
I can see this ranger having a good Wis score, but good enough to serve as the attack stat? I don't know.

Any idea?
Sometimes you can create something beyond books or rules with your imagination or make something that is similar in what you read and have fun .The only thing I can advice is whatever you make or imagine try to be balanced and fit in your party so you don't ruin their fun.As i know from the story his speech causes pain and nausea to opponents.
If this is a PC (which it seems to be) you might want to ask this question in character development first and then once you have a more solid idea put it in char op.

From just reading the Wiki it seems like he would work as an Assassin, Executioner, Rogue, Ranger or Thief.

Of that list I think that the fluff would best support a Brutal Scoundrel / Fighter / Daggermaster / Eternal Trickster (although I know very little about EDs). 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This is indeed more of a 'What's a player to do?' forum question than one that belongs here.

That said, any class that has access to a lot of powers that include the voice make an ideal base for the Black Speech. The Malediction Invoker is indeed a very good example of a class build that can be refluffed to be using Black Speech. And the Invoker's very specific non-clericiness fits Drasek very well. Another example could be the Bard, since he uses song (speech) to perform a multitude of his attacks, while still having some capabilities with a sword.
Going in a different mechanical direction, you can go for a psionic class. Since their powers are fluffed as to be generally invisible (they come from the mind), you can very easily use speech 'instead' of the mind.

And, since it's Drasek, don't forget to add some kind of Assassiny flavor to him, like Matyr suggests. But any multiclass or hybrid to one of the stealthy classes should work for this. 
Heroic Dungeon Master
If he's supposed to be a monster/NPC, I'd make the Dark Speech an encounter power Close Burst 5, +27 vs. Fortitude, that does 4d8+18 necrotic and thunder damage and dominates on a hit - half damage and daze on a miss. Maybe recharge when bloodied.
If he's supposed to be a monster/NPC, I'd make the Dark Speech an encounter power Close Burst 5, +27 vs. Fortitude, that does 4d8+18 necrotic and thunder damage and dominates on a hit - half damage and daze on a miss. Maybe recharge when bloodied.

I like this, except for the dominate. That doesn't feel very Black Speechy. Perhaps weakened or a -5 against attack rolls until the end of Drasek's next turn?

Also, don't forget to make it target creatures, since Black Speech has no business avoiding allies.
Heroic Dungeon Master
Thanks for the input so far.

This is kind of a special scenario where he will first appear as a NPC, but a player in the group expressed interest in playing Drasek Riven if the story ever goes in that direction and permits it. So, stats-wise, I'm looking for a bit of both a Monster/NPC stat block and players classes and power suggestions.

If we can discuss the Monster/NPC stat block in this thread, I'll create another one in the WAPTD or Charop.
I like your interpretation JRedGiant1, but would follow SpacyRicochet's suggestion on the weakened status.

I'm comfortable with putting on the melee attacks on his stat block, but would appreciate any input on utility powers (I've read those novels some years ago, old age and whatnot, a few details escaped my memory). I'll dig them out if I can find the right box, but in the meantime, any signature move or power you remember would be of great help.

I had a player fall in love with the idea of an NPC and take over playing her in my current campaign (she actually did so about 3 sessions ago).

You will be crippling yourself forcing it to function as both a monster and a PC in the 4e system.  Don't do it.  Talk to the player who wants to play as him and say something like this:

"Hey man, I was working on getting stats for the guy and it looks like the rules for monsters and PCs is so different that it would be really awkward for me to run him as an NPC using the rules for PCs.  I'm gonig to stat him up as a monster while he is an enemy and if you take over playing the character you can stat him out like a PC."

The NPC the character took over was a level 10 solo.  The character became a level 8 PC.  It didn't cause any problems and shouldn't as long as your players realize its how the game is designed. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Absolutely Matyr, I plan on having two separate sets of stats, a Monster stats block and a PC stat block when the takeover begins.

The takeover from Monster to PC may just be a few sessions, or it could be until the end of the campaign, we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the heads up, I tried the same thing with an elite monster, did not turn well, so good advice there!

Sign In to post comments