past in flames/overload

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I cast a card with overload from my graveyard using Past in Flames can I cast it for it's overload cost, or must it be just single target at that point? For instance Mizzium Mortars
A card can only be cast using one alternative cost at a time. So, in this case, you can cast Mizzium Mortars from the graveyard using its flashback cost -- you can't use the overload cost unless you could cast it normally (flashback is what allows you to cast a spell from the graveyard here).

On the other hand, if you had cast Yawgmoth's Will, then you'd be able to cast a spell in your graveyard using its overload cost.  This is because Yawgmoth's Will isn't providing you an alternate cost for casting anything, and is merely giving you the ability to play cards from your graveyard. 
If I cast a card with overload from my graveyard using Past in Flames can I cast it for it's overload cost, or must it be just single target at that point? For instance Mizzium Mortars

Both flashback and overload are ALTERNATE costs, you may only chose one, as opposed to additional costs such as kicker, replicate, or the creature you sacrifice for Goblin Grenade.

So, no you can't cast an overloaded spell with flashback.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments