Rakdos, Lord of Riots

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey All,

Been away from the game for a while and in one of my first booters of RTR pulled Rakdos, Lord of Riots. Built the following deck around him. Land count is a little lower than I would like and I need help picking what needs to come out.  This configuration of the deck is aimed at multiplayer play. Would probably sub out alot of the multiplayer damagers like Lobber Crew/Skull Rend/Kaboom/Faultline for cheaper/recurring burn like Hammer of Bogarden or something Any suggestions are appreciated.

Commander: Rakdos, Lord of Riots

Creatures (30)
Pathrazer of Ulamog
Dread Cacodemon
Spawnsire of Ulamog
Artisan of Kozilek
Pestilence Demon
Magmatic Force
Tsabo Tavoc
10 Kaervek the Merciless
11 Stalking Vengeance
12 Knollspine Dragon
13 Sheoldred, Whispering One
14 Rune-Scarred Demon
15 Steel Hellkite
16 Duplicant
17 Darksteel Sentinel Pestilence/Pyrohemia protection
18 Bloodgift Demon
19 Ob Nixilis, the Fallen
20 Stuffy Doll
21 Psychosis Crawler
22 Solemn Simulacrum
23 Cryptborn Horror
24 Lobber Crew
25 Rakdos Ickspitter
26 Dauthi Horror
27 Dauthi Cutthroat
28 Shepherd of Rot
29 Goblin Fireslinger
30 Mogg Fanatic
31 Pulse Tracker

Artifacts (13)
32 Sol Ring
33 Talisman of Indulgence
34 Rakdos Keyrune (Not just about the mana, after a late game board wipe, can help get damage to recast Rakdos)
35 Darksteel Ingot
36 Chromatic Lantern
37 Gilded Lotus
38 Vedalken Orrery (Cuz all the player damage you need doesn't always happen on your turn amirite?)
38 Swiftfoot Boots Protectin the Lord of Riots
39 Lightning Greaves Protectin the LoR
40 Champion's Helm
41 Darksteel Plate
42 Onyx Goblet
43 Staff of Nin

Enchantments (7)
44 Bloodchief Ascension
45 Seal of Fire
46 Goblin Bombardment
47 Pestilence
48 Pyrohemia
49 Subversion
50 Exquisite Blood

Instants/Sorceries (3/9)
51 Rakdos Charm
52 Terminate
53 Chaos Warp
54 Sever the Bloodline
55 Dreadbore
56 Diabolic Tutor
57 Diabolic Revelation
58 Killing Wave
59 Damnation
60 Exsanguinate
61 Kaboom!Good chance of hitting for 5+ with all the bombs in the deck
62 Explosive Revelation Same as Kaboom on a smaller scale plus a draw

Planeswalkers (1)
63 Liliana of the Dark Realms

Lands (36)
64 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
65 Shivan Gorge (AOE LAND DAMAGE!)
66 Volrath's Stronghold
67 Thespian's Stage Can copy anything below
68 Cabal Coffers
69 Command Tower
70 Blood Crypt
71 Rakdos Guildgate
72 Rakdos Carnarium
73 Graven Cairns
74 Tainted Peak
75 Sulfurous Springs
75 Blackcleave Cliffs
76 Dragonskull Summit
77 Leechridden Swamp (AOE LAND DRAIN!)
78 Piranha Marsh (1 Time Land Drain)
79 Bojuka Bog
80 Spinerock Knoll
81 Homeward Path _l_ to Bribery/Insurrection and the like
82 Eldrazi Temple
83- 92Swamp
93-100 Mountain

I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Thoughts on Heartless Hidetsugu?

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

2 cards i'd consider taking out would be the quest for the nihil stone, and rakdos keyrune.

You don't have enough discard to guarantee they won't have cards in their hand, and people will play around it.

The keyrune is just fragile, better to have a land in it's place, and a 3/1 isn't much of a threat.
if you want to go single player then Rakdos Ickspitter can get nasty */1 out of the way and do damage to your opponent too

Smoldering Tar might fit in here as well 
No Darksteel Colossus ? Also, keep the Greaves for the Haste if nothing else. Also, bump in the night seems pretty terrible here.
While your Rakdos is much different from the one I made and play (and it works very well in both duels and multi-player with only a few cards swapped, as Breath of Malfegor and syphon spells aren't as good in duels...), one card I see that are in both of ours is Grinning Ignus. There is no infinite with him, as he takes red to cast and red to bounce, but he does generate 2 colorless each time, with is good for big X spells like Comet Storm and Exsanguinate for wins that don't involve creatures. I persoanlly like to have Blightsteel Colossus, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, and It That Betrays for added fun. In case you worry too much about a badly-time Bribery from your opponent, just be sure you have plenty of removal and perhaps add in the always-useful-to-red Red Elemental Blast for the surprise play of the game.

I like the style of this one though!
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Truth be told, I hadn't even thought of the Colossi. Ulamog costs a lil more than I was willing to spend for one beat stick. What would you take out for the colossi and Smoldering Tar? In what ways is mine that different?

I think I agree about the Keyrune, Bump in the Night and Quest, so taking those out for 2 swamps and a mountain.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

So Sorry for the double post, but it's been a while and I have made a significant amount of changes to the deck since my last post, changing out a lot of the sorcery based 1 shot damage with permanents that are doing damage more consistantly. With the release of Gatecrash, I wanted to get opinions on some cards I am considering:

Molten Primordial
Sepulchral Primordial
Lord of the Void
Maga, Traitor to Mortals
Scythe Specter

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

These are great for casting Rakdos:

Honden of Infinite Rage
Tormented Soul
Scepter of Empires
Cunning Sparkmage
Hellrider
Blind Zealot - Extra utility too!
Dauthi Marauder

I would replace Dauthi Cutthroat with Dauthi Slayer

I really like these in my Rakdos deck:
Herald of Leshrac
Necropolis Regent
Dragon Mage
Dragon Tyrant
Furyborn Hellkite
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Hateflayer

I know all of these suggestions don't exactly help the cutting process.
Have you considered Plague Spitter? It seems a bit better than something like Goblin Fireslinger or the Shadow weenies.
Have you considered Plague Spitter? It seems a bit better than something like Goblin Fireslinger or the Shadow weenies.

Was an oversight really. Thought I had it on the list before cuts and can't remember why I cut it.

Herald is nice, but I think I'm going to stay way from land disruption for the time being. Against my preferences in the game. Necropolis Regent definitely fits the build but after several games of having fatties stuck in hand because I'm missing the extra colored mana, I'm leary of triple black/red in casting costs. Also applies to the Furyborn Hellkite, which I have never seen before but is definitely intruiging, and Dragon Tyrant (Darn that upkeep cost). Scourge was also on an earlier list but didnt hold enough water against the other creatures I was running. Honden was also on my first list of stuff, but was eventually cut as well. Scepter looks just like the Onyx Goblet. Wish I had seen that before getting the goblet. Hellrider is a card I can't seem to get my hands on despite numerous efforts. Alot of great suggestions, but not really sure what I would take out for any of them.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green