Holiday Cube 2012 - Featuring P9!

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
Playable for the first time in Magic Online, the Power Nine will be in the 2012 Holiday Cube. The Cube events will start after the downtime on Wednesday, Dec. 19th and run until the downtime on Wednesday, Jan. 2nd.  For the full details, see the official article.

Also, make sure you check out designer Max McCall's article, where he gives an introduction to the Cube format (for those who aren't familiar) and talks about some of the work that went into creating the 2012 Holiday Cube.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Make the prize structure worth playing for and someone might actually care about the power nine being in the cube.
Yeah really. Is this some type of joke?
I love the cube but won't play it with these cube tickets. Just my two cents.
Same terrible prize structure, and this time there's even less desirable packs being paid out.  Not to mention that the power 9 and crap like Mind Twist and Mana Drain just make the cube worse.  No thanks, once again Wizards loses my money.  I've gone from spending several hundred dollars a year on MTGO to about 1/5 of that because the MTGO team can't provide events worth spending on.  What an absolute joke. 
Not everything in MTGO is going to be about +EV. Feel free to continue complaining, but that is unlikely to change about cube events anytime soon.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Not everything in MTGO is going to be about +EV. Feel free to continue complaining, but that is unlikely to change about cube events anytime soon.

EV has nothing to do with it.  Prizes are nothing more than a price decrease in the entry fee that is variable with your skill at the game.  These events  have terrible prizes, which is just another way of saying they cost more to enter than normal events. 

I am aware that they aren't changing anything soon.  I am also of the opinion that Magic Online is extremely poorly managed, and as a result is likely costing Hasbro and its shareholders a significant amount of money in the form of lost potential profits.

But keep being an obnoxious corporate shill that isn't even getting the benefit of being on the payroll.
EV has nothing to do with it.  Prizes are nothing more than a price decrease in the entry fee that is variable with your skill at the game.  These events  have terrible prizes, which is just another way of saying they cost more to enter than normal events. .

You may want to look up the definition of expected value.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
EV has nothing to do with it.  Prizes are nothing more than a price decrease in the entry fee that is variable with your skill at the game.  These events  have terrible prizes, which is just another way of saying they cost more to enter than normal events. .

You may want to look up the definition of expected value.

Accidentally left the "+" from your initial quote out, but my point still stands.
Any word on whether or not the cube tickets will remain untradeable?  To me that is the worst part of it. 

Untradeable prizes in a trading card game are all but useless to me.  I like being able to cash out my prizes and move them around from one format to another.  Especially when certain formats are not always available.
I'm not sure just dumping power, broken cards and more ramp/fixing into the cube, leaving the same terrible prizes and calling it a day.

I get the idea of cube tickets, lets you (technically) play cube again (if you win enough and have more tix to put in to enter) but personally, I tend to play different events and would prefer to win x rounds in a cube draft, take my draft set of Urza's block or whatever and play one of those drafts instead of being left with 6 cube tix, 1 pack of *something* and the ability to basically do nothing with what I just won (assuming I get second in a single elim cube draft)

Hell, even if I win one, I still need to go and hunt down another pack to complete my urzas draft set or put in 2 tix plus the 10 cube tix I won and what, hope I can come second in the next draft?

MTGO is unique from paper MTG in how we are able to supply packs in order to enter events instead of only having the option to pay money each time we play (as is the case in most stores) in my opinion, this is a *MAJOR* selling point for the program, and I would guess it helps alot of people justify having to pay the same amount for a digital booster as a physical one. Between cube drafts and the recent Masters Edition events, they are taking that away in part, *technically* you can still do so, but for the most part if requires too much hoop jumping. You have to get a specific result in multiple events in order to win the packs you need to play in another event. Either that or you need to perform trading voodoo and probably lose money in the process to get what you need.

I honesly don't think I will be trying out cube this time, as for me, swiss gives essentially no prizes, and I'm not too keen in playing single elimination format where my opponent can start turn 1 with land, black lotus, JTMS/Ajani Vengeant/Phyrexian Obliterator/other card. How likely is that? Not super likely, but I doubt it'll be all that uncommon. I mean, they have Black Lotus, Channel and red X spells in the cube, I'm sure that will happen turn 1 a non zero number of times.

I do not expect the prize structure to represent positive EV. Everyone here knows that isn't going to be the case, and it's rather insulting that you think our "complaining" is based on such a stupendously moronic position.

I just want to it compare reasonably to buying packs from the store. In its initial offering, Cube was a way of buying 1.5 packs for $6, plus $1 for the fun. The prizes were current in-standard packs that could immediately be drafted, and therefore were actually relevent and had wide appeal - if you didn't want to draft the packs yourself you could readily sell them to someone who did.

Cube used to be a value-add on something that most people wanted to do anyway (obtain packs for regular in-standard drafting). It compared reasonably close, price wise, to one way of obtaining packs - buying them from the store. (I do acknowledge that you can save a ticket by trading for packs rather than buying fresh ones from the store every time). Certainly, the fun of drafting cube justified the small extra cost versus just buying draft standard packs to begin with.

Now, we are expected to pay a significant premium for an activity that is set up as an end in-itself, rather than being a fun (but optional) value-add step. And frankly, it's not really fun enough to justify the cost.
Suggestion.

What if cube tickets would become tradable in a regulated system. You could only exchange them to an official bot or in store. This way it could not devaluate because they would still regulate the price themselfs. The trade could even be unfavorable for a player let's say 2 cube tickets for 1 ticket so you limit any shananigans.

Just a thought. 
POWER NINE YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss my paper cards from back in the day. Will definitely be playing this and hurry up already with bringing Vintage online; with all that brain-power at wizards a solution is long overdue :P
I greatly dislike the cube ticket approach, and almost never play cube anymore as a result.  I also can't stand formats in which things like this (from the article) go on with relative frequency:  

"In one playtest, I was looking to draw a land on turn one so I'd be able to play Griselbrand on turn one. I missed, so I could only use Black Lotus to power out Liliana of the Veil on the first turn and set up an Animate Dead for Griselbrand on the second."

Personal preference, perhaps, but i'm just not interested in this format anymore, even if the powered cube is only an occasional thing.  Just my two cents.  

Still refusing to play in these until the prize payout is reasonable. Make the cube tickets tradable and I'll consider it, but until then you won't get a red cent from me for these.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
This is funny to me. Each cube since the first time they fired has gotten significantly worse and worse. I only played in the first two cube endeavers, didn't touch them last time, and won't touch them again this time. For a company who claims to listen to their customers, there are MANY people who seem to be unhappy that they basically replicated the last cube payout, just switched around pack prizes. I'm greatful they put up urza and merc Q's, so I'll just stick to those personally. Seems like more and more people are starting to realize that they won't be taken advantage of, and finally are starting to boycott terrible events. Maybe if enough people ignore this round of cube, they will implement some changes that are overall better for everyone, their customers and themselves. Not only can they make their customers much more happy, they can be making themselves just as happy with MORE and MORE piles of money flowing in.

Well, complaining by the top pros got them to change the new point system before it even got implemented.  Complaining also got wizards to ban JTMS and Stonforge right before they were going to rotate.  Complaining also got them to not reprint JTMS so that it would not be the super expensive card it is and will always be (due to low supply).  Fear of complaining got wizards to ban a ton of things in modern before the format even started.  So I would say complaining certainly has made an impact in parts of wizards.

Cube can be fun, but you also get less from it when you are done.  You don't get to keep any of the cards is a major draw back.  Then now on top of it if you don't feel like doing another cube the majority or all of your prizes can not be put to something else.  Fun is also a subjective thing.  So what is fun to me may not be fun to you.

For me I doubt I will participate in the cube events.  While the power cards certainly hold some reverence I am not really itching to cast/use them.  I didn't participate in them this last time simply because the payouts and the price of admission did not appeal to me.  Will save my money for possibly doing some Urza block draft where I also get to keep the cards I draft and win packs that I can use to re-enter and get to keep more cards I draft.  This also helps if I want to do any kind of constructed events in the future I will have a larger card pool to pull from or possibly trade with to get what I want.

I would hope that if there is potential for more profit for wizards, and you have customers coming to you saying where you can make profit from me they would at least listen and consider the options.  I believe this is what got them to put up a cube to start with, and then to also repeat it regularly as they have done.  It also got them to toy around with the payouts as people didn't like how it crashed the value of certain packs. 

Well, complaining by the top pros got them to change the new point system before it even got implemented.  Complaining also got wizards to ban JTMS and Stonforge right before they were going to rotate.  Complaining also got them to not reprint JTMS so that it would not be the super expensive card it is and will always be (due to low supply).  Fear of complaining got wizards to ban a ton of things in modern before the format even started.  So I would say complaining certainly has made an impact in parts of wizards.

I'm sorry, you seem to have mistaken my statement for one that said complaining never changes any decision. There are a plethora of things that have changed in MTGO because of these boards specifically. But for this particular circumstance, complaining isn't going to change things. Cube cuts too much into regular drafting.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I want to play with new cube, but I refuse to play anything that gives me cube tickets. It seems strange wotc would rather make x*$6 instead of 5x $2.
I'm sorry, you seem to have mistaken my statement for one that said complaining never changes any decision. There are a plethora of things that have changed in MTGO because of these boards specifically. But for this particular circumstance, complaining isn't going to change things. Cube cuts too much into regular drafting.

Fair enough.  Though I still think it can change things.  Though it all depends on how popular cube is and if they profit from the work that goes into it.  If it is constantly losing popularity then hopefully the complaining will give those in charge an idea of why.  Also hope the complaining comes with possible ideas to implament.

I really have no idea if the popularity of it is the same, increasing, or decreasing.  Not sure if they publish those numbers?  I just know my interest in it has decreased significantly so I can only speak for myself.

As far as cutting into regular drafts, that is probably true.  Though I believe some of the incarnation of cubes I did gave out packs for older draft formats that they were going to start doing in the following week.  Those packs actually got me to draft some of those formats I other wise was not interested in.  It also resulted in me having to find say the last 1 or 2 packs of a draft set.
As far as cutting into regular drafts, that is probably true.  Though I believe some of the incarnation of cubes I did gave out packs for older draft formats that they were going to start doing in the following week.  Those packs actually got me to draft some of those formats I other wise was not interested in.  It also resulted in me having to find say the last 1 or 2 packs of a draft set.

This cube is doing that as wel.  It pays out Urza's block the first week and Masques block the second.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)

I understand that Cube cuts into regular drafting (probably because it's a much better product than regular drafting, but that's beside the point).  However, that seems to be more of an explanation for why Cube is only offered at certain times, with those times being the presumed lowest point for drafting, i.e. when the new set has been released in paper but not online.  That is not an explanation for why the prizes for Cube have to be terrible.  In fact, much worse than for regular drafting.
I understand that Cube cuts into regular drafting (probably because it's a much better product than regular drafting, but that's beside the point).  However, that seems to be more of an explanation for why Cube is only offered at certain times, with those times being the presumed lowest point for drafting, i.e. when the new set has been released in paper but not online.  That is not an explanation for why the prizes for Cube have to be terrible.  In fact, much worse than for regular drafting.

I think you underestimate how much Cube killed regular drafting. It would be interesting if someone kept an eye on how many drafts fire, even now with the crappy cube prizes, compared to a normal week.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
This cube is doing that as wel.  It pays out Urza's block the first week and Masques block the second.

Only for single elemination and none for swiss.  Also you have to be first to get 2 packs (not even an entire draft set) or second to get 1 pack.  Before when the packs were the only prizes you could get a full set or more than a full set.

So for me, I could get more actual value by winning just one game in an Urza's block draft (2 packs plus the cards I drafted) as I would get for winning all 3 games of a single elemination cube.  Then you have to go into the entertainment value.  I can't say right now how much the Urza's block draft will entertain me.  I know the ME4 drafts were really entertaining for me.

Even though I like doing the big powerful spells and playing all 5 colors that cube enables, it also enables really fast decks that punish that.  As well as those kind of decks punish themselves by need a ton of mana fixing and also ways to survive and get enough mana for the powerful spells.  I will say cube did get me to enjoy Sneak Attack with Woodfall Primus.

Only for single elemination and none for swiss.  Also you have to be first to get 2 packs (not even an entire draft set) or second to get 1 pack.  Before when the packs were the only prizes you could get a full set or more than a full set.

So for me, I could get more actual value by winning just one game in an Urza's block draft (2 packs plus the cards I drafted) as I would get for winning all 3 games of a single elemination cube.  Then you have to go into the entertainment value.  I can't say right now how much the Urza's block draft will entertain me.  I know the ME4 drafts were really entertaining for me.

Even though I like doing the big powerful spells and playing all 5 colors that cube enables, it also enables really fast decks that punish that.  As well as those kind of decks punish themselves by need a ton of mana fixing and also ways to survive and get enough mana for the powerful spells.  I will say cube did get me to enjoy Sneak Attack with Woodfall Primus.

No disagreement on anything here, but I will say that I'm pretty sure that WoTC is trying to bank on the entertainment value of the cube draft overcoming it's deficiencies in prize support. Which is fine.  for some people the entertainment value will not be all that high. 

Eventually, I'm sure that even they realize that the cube draft - however restructured - will give diminshing returns on the entertainment value for all.  I think it's reasonable to assume this latest attempt will draw many people in.  
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
Even though I like doing the big powerful spells and playing all 5 colors that cube enables...

I'm not sure where I got this impression from, but I thought this particular cube wasn't very supportive of playing 5 colors.

Edit: Maybe its actually the opposite? 

With the cube being powered, I'm still not sold on whether this will actually make it any more fun, there is a reason why many playgroups ban power/sol ring etc in at least one on one EDH due to the broken starts it can allow you to have (and EDH is essentially *the* haymaker format) From what I have heard people say, cards like Sol Ring make aggro decks less viable as they let you jump straight into midgame with an early lotus/sol ring/mox/whatever.

Regardless, I will most likely be playing the Urzas/masques drafts  
Even though I like doing the big powerful spells and playing all 5 colors that cube enables...

I'm not sure where I got this impression from, but I thought this particular cube wasn't very supportive of playing 5 colors.

Looks like if the link is correct they still have the dual lands and shock lands as well as fetch lands.  So fully capable.  Though since the power is in there you also have the chance of someone just pumping out a huge threat and you pretty much just delay them destroying you for a few turns.

With the cube being powered, I'm still not sold on whether this will actually make it any more fun, there is a reason why many playgroups ban power/sol ring etc in at least one on one EDH due to the broken starts it can allow you to have (and EDH is essentially *the* haymaker format) From what I have heard people say, cards like Sol Ring make aggro decks less viable as they let you jump straight into midgame with an early lotus/sol ring/mox/whatever.

Regardless, I will most likely be playing the Urzas/masques drafts  

Having lotus in there will probably be something that just makes it so the multi color durdle till you do an epic spell decks even less viable.  Now you have to worry about them just dropping some huge threat turn 1 on top of them playing mono red agro and burning you out.  Which is a reason to make me less enticed to want to play the cube.  Time Walk would probably be the one that would interest me to play it.  Though not going to try it just to play that card since the odds of getting to draft it would be so low.

I think this version of the Cube is more supportive of multicolour strategies than the previous one, because they added the two-mana lands and the signets.
I hate cube. This setup makes me hate it more. The end.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
I hate cube. This setup makes me hate it more. The end.

On the other hand, I love Cube. In roughly seven years of playing MTGO, I've never played in something that required tickets, but I would do it daily if Cube were availible Laughing
The Holiday Cube has begun!

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I had some cube tickets laying around so I figured I'd play one first in an attempt to get some Urza's packs to play that.  The current cube is hilarious.  My deck is UWB with four creatures, a heap of artifact mana (no lotus sadly, but one mox and a mana crypt), tolarian academy, two armageddons and an upheaval.  My first round opponent was trying to play BG with some good creatures and discard.  Nothing is quite so unfair as powering out JtMS, Gideon, Crucible of Worlds and Armageddon against a deck that's trying to hit you with creatures.  Whee!
I had some cube tickets laying around so I figured I'd play one first in an attempt to get some Urza's packs to play that.  The current cube is hilarious.  My deck is UWB with four creatures, a heap of artifact mana (no lotus sadly, but one mox and a mana crypt), tolarian academy, two armageddons and an upheaval.  My first round opponent was trying to play BG with some good creatures and discard.  Nothing is quite so unfair as powering out JtMS, Gideon, Crucible of Worlds and Armageddon against a deck that's trying to hit you with creatures.  Whee!

I'll be interested to see how long that stays fun though, lol.
holiday cube 2012- featuring massive server crash

Was that what just happened? My second game had just started and my game window went away. Re-logging fixed the problem.

Dec 20, 2012 -- 12:42AM, The_Extractor wrote:

Was that what just happened? My second game had just started and my game window went away. Re-logging fixed the problem.

yea the draft room is getting spammed with users asking for reimbursment link cause there game was canceled, missed several picks in the draft, or just got locked out entirley
Wow that is some of the worst prize payout I have ever seen. Even with the 10 free Cube Tickets that I got I don't think it's worth paying the extra 2 tickets to join this. 8 Tickets for a chance to win 2 boosters and a discount on the next one? 
I'll pass. 
I just cast Tooth and Nail on turn 4 putting Emrakul, the Aeons Torn and Palinchron into play.  Heh.  I love cube.
The Holiday Cube has begun!

There was much rejoicing...

Bah, humbug!
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.