Wandering Monster: The Fair Folk

Wandering Monster
The Fair Folk

By James Wyatt

James whisks you away from your mundane monsters, abnormal aberrations, and conniving fiends so that he can show you the enticing and sometimes deadly fey folk. Do you have a strong enough will (and grip) to keep the Queen of the Faeries from claiming your Tam Lin? Neither are required . . . yet. But maybe soon.

Talk about this column here.

What Do You Think?
I'm going to bring up the same thing that I brought up the last time that we talked about fey: PLEASE stop limiting some of these creatures to being depicted as women. There is NO good reason that they can only ever be women.

Let me try something to see if it'll help get this point across... Can you picture yourself writing up a depiction for one of these creature that's completely gender-neutral and yet still doesn't draw attention to that fact? That still lets the reader continue with their preconceived notions while still not precluding alternative concepts?

If you think that this sounds difficult to do, then I have a surprise for you, because you just did it PERFECTLY with the Hag. Everybody knows that Hags are typically depicted as women, but your write-up for it allowed for alternative possibilities without needing to call them out specifically. For anybody not looking for it, you didn't -need- to say that Hags are women for them to already think that, so why should Dryads or Nymphs be any more challenging?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
CC - I never considered it that way.

But it's true. I always picture the medusa as female and the Minotaur as male.

But maybe that ought to change. It's already messing my mind.
Has he completely ignored everything in the last Dragon's Eye View? Are the authors even talking to one another?
Anyone else besides me missing a tiny 2-3" faerie for their characters to interact with? If atomie are the smallest wee folk at 1' tall, that makes sprites and pixies of comparable height, somewhere between 1-2' tall.

I need a teensy, sparkly faerie to make my D&D complete!  

Danny

Anyone else besides me missing a tiny 2-3" faerie for their characters to interact with? If atomie are the smallest wee folk at 1' tall, that makes sprites and pixies of comparable height, somewhere between 1-2' tall.

Eh, then again, perhaps the wee folk are a class of tiny-sized fey that explicitly excludes the fine-sized faerie I have in mind?

But then, what do we call it? 

Danny

Eh, then again, perhaps the wee folk are a class of tiny-sized fey that explicitly excludes the fine-sized faerie I have in mind?

I agree that extremely small fey should exist. How about we call them fairies?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

I could live with that.

Why was it decided that D&D pixies are 1-2' tall anyway? How big is Tinkerbell?

EDIT: She's 5-5.5" tall. -- I'd still prefer a tinkling, shimmering something smaller.

Danny

Next on When D&D Has Gone Too Far: Grown men researching Tinkerbell stats at one o'clock in the morning.

Danny

I rather liked the descriptions.
I like them - finally the brownie is back!  Yeah baby!  Also, no elves, gnomes, or eladrin in there.  I'm disappointed if that remains the case but it's easy enough to house rule.  The green hag description is far more like a traditional description - the curent bestiary version has low strength and no armoured skin.
One of the things that I liked about the Feywild as a big, prominant plane in 4e is that it did make fey feel like more of a threat. I actually like the idea of the Feywild as being almost analogous to the nine hells or the abyss as a very varied place full of loosely connected creatures and ruled over by some of the most powerful beings in the cosmos short of the gods themselves. Even though the feywild/faerie isn't a plane of pure evil like the abyss or the hells, it's still full of powerful creatures with their own agendas and you assume a lot of risk by going "deeper" into it, as it desynchronizes more and more from reality and the "rules" about how things work break down.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
I like the feywild from 4e.  I wouldn't mind it getting support in DDN.  I would like to see more support on fey creatures in this edition (even though 4e did do a better job with the fey than prior editions in my opinion).
I like the Feywild, its got a variety of creatures, so it blurs the good vs evil line and gives an alternative to heaven vs hell vs abyss.
it also gives a place for all the faerie creatures to come from and interact with. By that I include other classic mythology critters like trolls, lycanthropes and goblins.

If you don't have the Feywild you could use the Ethereal or Astral,  perhaps they interact with the Githzerai or Slaadi.

Regarding the gender of the creatures, two possible ideas -

Mergers : So male nymph is nereid, male dryad is a needleman, female leprechaun could be quicklings or Changelings.

Or specify who their consorts are, such as Dryads with Satyrs, Nymph with Mermen, Hags with Changelings.

Key things for D&D - Where is the character from and why do they do what they do? / Recurring NPCs - allies and enemies / Plot, World and Personal Events.

Arguments about sexism aside, the monsters that are supposed to pretend to be something hot to get you out of your armor never, ever, EVER work. Can we please stop printing dozens of them per edition?

That's not the point of them. They're sexy and female to symbolize their connection with the fertility of the land. Just as they are capable of bearing children, so to does the land possess the ability to support life.
Mergers : So male nymph is nereid, male dryad is a needleman, female leprechaun could be quicklings or Changelings.

Or specify who their consorts are, such as Dryads with Satyrs, Nymph with Mermen, Hags with Changelings.

How about neither? They aren't created by other fey doing the nasty, but either spontaneously generated by the land, or by the procreation of greater gods. Medusa, for instance, was the daughter of Ceto and Phorcys, who were together the Gods of Underwater Monsters; their other children include a dragon, a bunch of other nymphs, and a trio of hags.
They're sexy and female to symbolize their connection with the fertility of the land.

Mythologies all around the world have metaphorically depicted the land and creatures symbolically representing it as male, female, both, or neither. There's no "correct" way to symbolize the land or its fertility. This is even more true when you're talking about a Dryad, a creature connected to something that actually does have sex characteristics: Oaks are hermaproditic trees.

Mythologies all around the world have metaphorically depicted the land and creatures symbolically representing it as male, female, both, or neither. There's no "correct" way to symbolize the land or its fertility. This is even more true when you're talking about a Dryad, a creature connected to something that actually does have sex characteristics: Oaks are hermaproditic trees.

Really. Care to show me an example of a non-female land god, then?

Geb from Egyptian mythology is the first, most obvious example to come to mind. He represents the earth and is the husband of Nut, goddess of the sky.

but witht tehem bing so small do we realy need combat stats for them?
are players ever going to fight them or are they just intresting npc's
asking the players for help to fight the goblins who keep kicking over the faries lil houses.
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

Geb from Egyptian mythology is the first, most obvious example to come to mind. He represents the earth and is the husband of Nut, goddess of the sky.

Okay, one god, that I've never heard of. Now compare that to the overwhelming number of female land-gods.

Okay, one god, that I've never heard of. Now compare that to the overwhelming number of female land-gods.

Dis Pater was also an Earth god, before he was absorbed by other deities.

Oh, I will certainly grant that deities of earth and fertility are more often than not depicted as feminine, but all that's needed is a singular big example to show that need not be the case exclusively. And Geb is certainly a big example. It's not like Egyptian mythology of all things is obscure. Not only is a masculine deity of earth and fertility possible to conceive of; it actually happened, and in the mythology of what's arguably one of the greatest and most influential ancient cultures in Human history no less.

Oh, I will certainly grant that deities of earth and fertility are more often than not depicted as feminine, but all that's needed is a singular big example to show that need not be the case exclusively. And Geb is certainly a big example. It's not like Egyptian mythology of all things is obscure. Not only is a masculine deity of earth and fertility possible to conceive of; it actually happened, and in the mythology of what's arguably one of the greatest and most influential ancient cultures in Human history no less.

Also Frey, from the Norse.

And the whole spring god recurring theme in many religions.

And the examples given by erachima.

But dude, you're arguing with someone that genuinely believes...well, what he seems to genuinely believe. We've been here before.

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I'd like some more "Orange and Blue Moality" in my fey.

Fey should be good but rather illogical and foreign in their thought patterns.

"Why ae you attacking us?"
"Because you are dessed in iron/You are dressed in hides and the animals did not consent/Its November, the month of war/You presented no formal invitation/You didn't offe me a banna.... so you must die."

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

I am mostly concerned with the continued notion of the Fey being generally "good." Traditionally, these trickster spirits were feared because of the cruel tricks they did. I liked that the Wee Folk included some evil Fey, but I would generally perfer most Fey to be Chaotic Neutral, with individual NPCs allowed to be Good or Evil.
* I can´t avoid it but some ideas from "Changeling: the dreaming" are a great influence for me when I wish create stories with fays. 

* Are fays creaures linked with primal powers?

* Are oriental shens fays? 

* I know officially hagspawn are only males but I would allow female hagspawns PC like exceptions.

* Spriggans should be the ultimate gnome´s archenemy. (How would be a spriggan with levels of swashbuckler, assasin or warsage?).

* Are redcarps fay, plant subtype or both? Are redcarps linked to dryads?

* Could wilden (4th Ed PC race from PH3) be dryad´s descendents?

* My version of AD&D nightshade (creature from Toril) would be a dark and gothic twisted version of dryad, unfriendly but no necesarily evil.

* D&D leprechauns are like Tolkien´s Tom Bobadil. Never I use them. Only a cute ornament nPC.  

* I don´t want imagine the Wee Folk like a happy comunity from a children cartoon. I would rather thing about a survivor group, with a background closer to comic "Fables" or action-live "Once upon a time" that cartoon "Trollz", "Smurfs" or "Pop-pixie".

* Some sadistic DM and evil PCs would wish create the D&D version of "Happy Tree Friends", a mixture of fairy tale and psycho-killer horror movie like "The hobbit meets Naughty Bear". 

I think the werebadger would be a interesting fay predator, like a "softer" D&D psycho-killer. Sometimes fay creatures represent our most inoccent and childlike nature, and the werebeasts the predator who are a menace to our sons. Therianthropes(shapeshifters) could be excenlent and dreadful natural enemies of wee folk.

* Wendigo (template from Fiend Folio 3rd) is a fay creature. I would like imagine like a (cursed/infected) solitary supernatural predator and linked to winter and cold, almost a (horror movie) psycho-killer but different to loup-garous, werebeasts or wolfweres. 

But I woul omit the "amputate" feets. My version had got burn feets, but only black skin by burn).

* Are kercpas fay?

They were canon AD&D creatures, and 4th Ed monsters like April´s Fool joke.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Not just Geb, but Osiris himself was a male fertility god. If you're totally ignorant of one of the most ancient and influential mythological cycles, why are you even IN this conversation? Also, the Baals were male fertility gods, and it is more historically common to have a male-female pair of fertility gods than otherwise.

Osiris wasn't really a fertility god so much a god of death and rebirth. And while I'm not a scholar of ancient languages, it sounds like Baal is just a title meaning "lord", and referring to the general group of fertility gods worshipped by local tribesmen; do we know that they were in fact male?

Also Frey, from the Norse.

My understanding is that Frey wasn't the really the god of the fertility of the Earth so much as prosperity in general. That was covered more by his sister, Freya.

"Because you are dessed in iron/You are dressed in hides and the animals did not consent/Its November, the month of war/You presented no formal invitation/You didn't offe me a banna.... so you must die."

I like this. Fey creatures aren't far realm horrors with completely unfathomable minds, but thier notions of what makes sense are sufficiently different that they're unpredictably dangerous.

I also like the idea that there are "rules", but they're rules that either don't really make much sense to an outsider or that are sort of folksonomic. As you go "deeper", superstition and "makes sense to me" supplant physics in terms of determining how the world works. This can even be built into some iconic fey creatures. A pixie can fly because it has wings, and wings mean you can fly, whether or not the pixie's wings are large enough or move fast enough to actually support its weight. It's possible to be so good at hiding that you're literally invsible. If hearing a catchy song sort of makes you feel like dancing, then a SUPER catchy song irresistably compels you to dance. If something beautiful is dazzling, than the most beautiful things can literally physically blind you.

A positive fey creature is often bold beyond what its physical form should warrant because it's used to things going its way, because its psyche shapes the world around it. A shy or craven or tricky fey creature is the same - its mentality is self-reinforcing. A tricky sprite is extra tricky because it thinks it's very tricky, and every minor trick reinforces this in a sort of feedback loop.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Mythologies all around the world have metaphorically depicted the land and creatures symbolically representing it as male, female, both, or neither. There's no "correct" way to symbolize the land or its fertility. This is even more true when you're talking about a Dryad, a creature connected to something that actually does have sex characteristics: Oaks are hermaproditic trees.

What about the enduring and ever-present Green Man of many traditions?

but witht tehem bing so small do we realy need combat stats for them?
are players ever going to fight them or are they just intresting npc's
asking the players for help to fight the goblins who keep kicking over the faries lil houses.

Sure! They could have some nasty magical attacks, or swarm tactics!

As to the plot hook, I'm definitely of the opinion that the Monster Manual can be leveraged as a bestiary of sorts that offers explanation of a vivid and colorful, creature-filled world. -- Not every entry being a monster to slay.

I like this. Fey creatures aren't far realm horrors with completely unfathomable minds, but thier notions of what makes sense are sufficiently different that they're unpredictably dangerous.

I also like the idea that there are "rules", but they're rules that either don't really make much sense to an outsider or that are sort of folksonomic. As you go "deeper", superstition and "makes sense to me" supplant physics in terms of determining how the world works. This can even be built into some iconic fey creatures. A pixie can fly because it has wings, and wings mean you can fly, whether or not the pixie's wings are large enough or move fast enough to actually support its weight. It's possible to be so good at hiding that you're literally invsible. If hearing a catchy song sort of makes you feel like dancing, then a SUPER catchy song irresistably compels you to dance. If something beautiful is dazzling, than the most beautiful things can literally physically blind you.

A positive fey creature is often bold beyond what its physical form should warrant because it's used to things going its way, because its psyche shapes the world around it. A shy or craven or tricky fey creature is the same - its mentality is self-reinforcing. A tricky sprite is extra tricky because it thinks it's very tricky, and every minor trick reinforces this in a sort of feedback loop.

+1

Danny

Rather than "Orange and Blue," fey alignment could explicitly be "Seelie" or "Unseelie," allowing GMs/players to decide what the hell that means.
The designers are going in the right direction.    

I'm most pleased with this comment. 

"Third, and most important, a 
Monster Manual isn't just a source of monsters to fight."

I'm also happy that the gnome wasn't on the list of fey creatures.      

The designers are going in the right direction.    

I'm most pleased with this comment. 

"Third, and most important, a 
Monster Manual isn't just a source of monsters to fight."

I'm also happy that the gnome wasn't on the list of fey creatures.

I'm ambivalent about the gnome, but I had wished to see elves mentioned.

Danny

I don't know, but planar campaigns just arn't for me. Even when I DM the Forgotten Realms, I try to avoid the subject alltogether.

I don't need the term 'fey' in my worlds to present things like elves, dryads and hags.

So my only request is that they remove any references to the Feywild, Shadowfell and Far Realm and keep that in the Cosmology or Planescape Setting.
I don't know, but planar campaigns just arn't for me. Even when I DM the Forgotten Realms, I try to avoid the subject alltogether.

I don't need the term 'fey' in my worlds to present things like elves, dryads and hags.

So my only request is that they remove any references to the Feywild, Shadowfell and Far Realm and keep that in the Cosmology or Planescape Setting.

Perhaps interestingly, the Feywild, Shadowfell and Far Realm are not a part of the original Planescape setting, or its cosmology.

Danny

Perhaps interestingly, the Feywild, Shadowfell and Far Realm are not a part of the original Planescape setting, or its cosmology.

Considering that they are 4th Edition terms, you are right, they wouldn't have appeared in Planescape

My point is though, I find putting emphasis on things like fey and feywild drive your campaign world towards a planar setting and to me that doesn't feel Setting Neutral.
The classic nymph represented the archetype of feminity. The word "nymph" itself meaned literraly "bride" or "marriable age young girl". The male equivalent to "nymph" should be a different word, for example "ephebe" or "gallant" (if we are talking about a metrosexual male instead the satyr or faun).

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I'm going to bring up the same thing that I brought up the last time that we talked about fey: PLEASE stop limiting some of these creatures to being depicted as women. There is NO good reason that they can only ever be women.

Except that there is good reason.  A dryad is always female.  That's what dryads are.  Medusae are always female.  That's what medusae are.  Both come from mythology and were always female.  Other such myths will likewise produce only female versions.  Since they are drawn from mythology, following the only female aspect of that myth is a good reason for it to remain the same.
They're sexy and female to symbolize their connection with the fertility of the land.

Mythologies all around the world have metaphorically depicted the land and creatures symbolically representing it as male, female, both, or neither. There's no "correct" way to symbolize the land or its fertility. This is even more true when you're talking about a Dryad, a creature connected to something that actually does have sex characteristics: Oaks are hermaproditic trees.

Dryads in mythology are stated to be only female.  To make one male or neither runs directly against what a dryad is.
@Burrytar.

But my fey don't just have two courts so Seelie and Unseelie doesn't work. Sometimes there are 4 courts, one for each season. Sometimes there are as many as there are months. Sometimes 4 or 5 for each phase of the moon or sun. The fey switch it around sometimes. They are crazy like that.

Also more kidnapping for fey! More people stealing!

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Sign In to post comments