Do you want to have the Forgotten Realms as the defualt setting for D&D Next?

Lots of people have been mentioning that they would like something other than the Forgotten Realms. Personally I agree with this. I am not a huge fan of FR and I would love to see a new campaign setting to explore. I think Forgotten Realms has gotten too large for players and DMs who are new to the setting. I think this puts off a lot of people joining the realms. Not to mention all the changes over the years has a lot of people upset with the Forgotten Reapmss

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

No.  No default setting.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
FR is too bloated for me. I've never played an FR game or tried to run an FR game (the latter only once) where everybody else wasn't on my **** for not caring about adhereing to all fifty thousand volumes of the pre-established canon.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I don't see why it matters to anyone what the default setting is. Just don't play in it if you don't like it, it arguably affects the game less than anything else.
Crimson thats the exact reason I have no desire to run a forgotten realms game. and why I would love a new setting to launch with D&D Next.

I know I dont have to play. I just want some otyer better setting to come out at launch rather than a setting I dont care about.
No.  No default setting.

Seconded.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I'm of the 'no default' camp as well.

Danny

I don't mind having a default setting; however, I don't like FR as the default. 
This is really a moot argument :P Way too much time, energy, sweat, and money has been sunk into FR as the default at this point for them to make any change.
My two copper.
God, no. I hate the Forgotten Realms. Far too generic and boring.
Pfft-

Let's have Feywild be the default setting. See ya, Dark Ages!
Jenks, lets assume hypothetically that no one posts here wanting the forgotten realms as the defualt setting. (unlikely, as I am writting this someone who is going to end up posting for the Forgotten Realms) But if it turns out you could launch a new setting and make a lot more people happy and a lot more money than the correct business decision is to dump forgotten realms no matter how much money you have put into it. Also it isn't like that is going to be wasted you can use all that later when you do launch the Forgotten Realms.

I still think it is a bad idea to not have deities in the core book. Lots of people keep talking about the d&d deities like they are in d&d Next when they are not. Going to kill all ideas of drow without deities.
While my preffered setting is Greyhawk, I've never been in favor of there being any one default setting.

And honestly?  It doesn't matter to me because;
1) I own the original GH boxed set.  And two better versions of the map printed over the years.
I own a shelf full of FR stuff (mix of mostly 1e & 2e stuff)
I own all the Gazzetteers for BECMI 
2) I stopped being a slave to any of this printed cannon long ago (somewhere in the early 90s).
3) I'm not going to buy the new (5e) version of ANY of their settings. 
No, I don't want to have FR as the default setting.  I agree with others that it's moot at this point, and it's rather silly because my preferred setting really wouldn't be the default, ever.  Although they're my favorites, I don't see Ravenloft, Modern, or Planescape/Spelljammer as ever having a hope of being default.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Honestly?  I'd like to see Eberron as the default setting, if any.  Greyhawk and FR are too generically fantasy, so they don't feel particularly like D&D as opposed to any other game.

Although Eberron is not exactly the most standardized world, it is probably the one which I see as most uniquely D&D.

The metagame is not the game.

Let's do away with the notion of having a default setting. Instead, in the Next DMG have a section about Campaign Settings with some basic information about each D&D Setting and a map of their main continent.
I loathe the Forgotten Realms. I find the setting too generic and bland to my liking. The gods there are too flimsy and ascending to godhood seems nothing out of the ordinary. Not to mention signature characters stealing the spotlight and PC characters paling in comparison to them (yes, I'm looking at you Elminster and Drizzt).  I understand FR has been the go to setting in many D&D games but I don't see why it should be THE setting for D&DN. Why can't they design a new setting from scratch and not rehash old ones? It would be a refreshing new outlook and fitting for D&DN if it wants it to the most innovative system of all editions. Other companies have created their own unique setting so I don't see why WotC can't follow suit. I'm not saying designing one is easy but WotC has more resources than they do. I'm sure than can sign up other world designers other than Ed Greenwood.
By virtue of completeness Forgotten Realms seems destined to be the assumed defualt setting as the core book will be missing information for finishing characters.
Honestly?  I'd like to see Eberron as the default setting, if any.  Greyhawk and FR are too generically fantasy, so they don't feel particularly like D&D as opposed to any other game.

Although Eberron is not exactly the most standardized world, it is probably the one which I see as most uniquely D&D.

Whenever I think of Eberron, this is the image that pops into my mind.

nextlol.com/images/51379-exalted.jpg

If I could wave a magic wand and erase Eberron from existence, I would happily do so.  Airships and magic trains and similar "Magitech" has always been better suited for Final Fintasy than D&D, personally.

I'm no fan of FR or any other setting being default, but I'd choose any other D&D published setting before Eberron.  Even Spelljammer, for all that helms are still "Magitech".
What about Hyrule!? People love Hyrule. 

Danny

What about Hyrule!? People love Hyrule. 

I would actually love that.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Airships and magic trains and similar "Magitech" has always been better suited for Final Fintasy than D&D, personally.

I've always seen D&D as tied very, very closely with Final Fantasy 1-6.

The metagame is not the game.

Airships and magic trains and similar "Magitech" has always been better suited for Final Fintasy than D&D, personally.

And don't forget that, as the pre-eminent name in fantasy rpgs, D&D really should be broad enough to allow everyone to play the kind of fantasy they want to play.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

That would explain our variance here, as I've always seen them as very different beasts.  Not saying either side is "right".

I've considered at Final Fantasy as stylized and juiced up form of D&D. 1-6 and 9 were probably the closest to classic fanstasy and D&D represents. 7,8,10, and 12 were too technological advanced and don't quite fit the mold compared to the early versions of the game.

And don't forget that, as the pre-eminent name in fantasy rpgs, D&D really should be broad enough to allow everyone to play the kind of fantasy they want to play.

As much as I'd want D&D to emulate whatever kind of fantasy anyone's fantasy game of their choosing its highly unlikely that it would happen. D&D though can be epic, at its base rules, doesn't quite support the over the top atmosphere which anime often depicts. Even in 4e where players can act almost superhuman feats is not quite the same level as anime. You would need a lot of houseruling for that.
I don't think there needs to be any detailed default setting.

This is one thing I think they did right with 4th Edition: detailed localities that can be plugged into any campaign setting, even commercial ones.

The Nentir Vale and Fallcrest were easily incorporated into my campaign world with very few modifications. 
I loved the FR four many years, but I think it's been killed by too much history. There's simply no way for a new player to feel ownership of something with that many major characters, events, etc.

I could see a return to Greyhawk and its lower magic setting working very well for the post-Hobbit/LotR crowd.

I do think the game needs a default setting for the purpose of play examples in the core books, etc., and I think Greyhawk is more neutral than FR.
I feel fine about Forgotten Realms.
I loved the FR four many years, but I think it's been killed by too much history. There's simply no way for a new player to feel ownership of something with that many major characters, events, etc. I could see a return to Greyhawk and its lower magic setting working very well for the post-Hobbit/LotR crowd. I do think the game needs a default setting for the purpose of play examples in the core books, etc., and I think Greyhawk is more neutral than FR.

I don't want them f...  messing with Greyhawk.  I just don't trust them with their track record.  I think it is time for the creation of another traditional-styled setting. 

Whenever I think of Eberron, this is the image that pops into my mind.

nextlol.com/images/51379-exalted.jpg

If I could wave a magic wand and erase Eberron from existence, I would happily do so.  Airships and magic trains and similar "Magitech" has always been better suited for Final Fintasy than D&D, personally.

I'm no fan of FR or any other setting being default, but I'd choose any other D&D published setting before Eberron.  Even Spelljammer, for all that helms are still "Magitech".

Ironically, I'd fully support something like Creation, the setting of Exalted, becoming the default DnD setting. The strength of Exalted's setting is one of its best points; when the developers are creating the setting of DnD Next, it should be something they examine.

Besides, it has steampunk vikings. Steampunk Vikings! **** yeah, Exalted is awesome.
Greyhawk setting definately.  Lets give Gary a grand hurrah! with this edition.
If there has to be a default setting, I think that FR is as good as any of the other generic fantasy settings. They should probably boil it down to some kind of "FR Lite" that's more approachable than the full setting. That also has the benefit of making the default setting very close to Brand X generic fantasy, since FR is distinguished primarily by its depth of detail, rather than by having any sort of personality or unique ideas (well, any ideas that are unique any more; FR is so influential as a setting that some of the things it does have basically become the default.)

EDIT: This isn't meant to be disparaging of FR; I would argue that it's the job of the default setting to not subvert a bunch of expectations.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
personaly I think this is where 4th edition did it right.
using a vaey general point of light campaign that was pretty bland by itselve, but alouwed for a DM to do lots of customisation.

That would explain our variance here, as I've always seen them as very different beasts.  Not saying either side is "right".

FF1 was really just DnD with the serial numbers filled off, I don't think there's a RPG which can claim to not have been influenced by Dnd one way or the other even Exalted from your image is how it due to it having "get as far from Dnd and tolkien as possible" as one of their prime goals.
There is no need for a default setting, 2nd Edition did just fine without one. And so far from what I have seen, the developers don't intend to have one.

Forgotten Realms will be the first published setting with 5th edition. That doesn't make it the default setting.
I think the standard setting should be generic fantasy (though it can be original content), with maybe some things in the DMG to spice it up a little (e.g. here's how to add flintlock pistols).  

For sake of space, I'd rather they not put to much information for a default setting into the core books since I'd much rather that be there for rules since I'm not going to use it anyways.

Past whatever the first fantasy setting will be,  I'd rather they focus on campaign settings that have specific themes.  Like Ravenloft was all about the Gothic Horror, Eberron had a bit of a steam punk feel to it, Dark Sun is Sci-Fi feeling, etc.

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
I don't want a default setting.

It can be the first setting, though i prefer nether vale.   But i'd prefer if there was no default, and the rules and such are kept setting nutral.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Did 3rd have a default?  I don't remember.  Either way, no to default settings!  If anything the default should be a section in the dmg giving new players helpful tips for building their own world.
Forgotten Realms is the first setting for the new edition, not the deault setting. In the playtest, clerics are given domains with many suggested gods from Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Egypt, Greece, and Scandinavia.
Personally I don't want a default setting, If there had to be one though I would want it to be Generic; FR or Greyhawk probably. However for me it really doesn't matter, I know that I can make the game for any setting I want, and that a 'default' setting is nothing more then 'Here's an example' of how these rules can be applied in an environment. 

New Players Questions
Is it useful for new players to see the fluff for a default setting?
Does a 'Default setting' help new players better embrace rules?
Can a default setting part of what makes a PHB appealing to a New player?

Vet Players Questions
Do 'default settings' have negative effects on Veteren players who just want system mechanics from the rulebook?

I remember getting started in the hobby back in 7th grade. I begged my grandma to buy my first core rulebook from the bookstore, and I was attracted to it because of the artwork and the fluff. I had no idea what it was or what an RPG was even. Me and my friends decoded it's purpose over the course of the next few weeks, and now we are here today. 

Just some thoughts.

My mind is a deal-breaker.

So far it appears that Next isn't going to have a default setting. It just gets mentioned along with FR a lot because FR is going to be the first setting for Next and thus they are in development together. Hopefully they are taking some care to insure that FR doesn't end up being the default setting just because there is nothing else.

Personally, I like 4e's mostly abstract default setting. It is enough that the DM doesn't have to create material for dungeon delves and other quick adventurers, but doesn't get in the way of creating your own world. The only real improvement they need to make is separating the deities from the domains better so that creating your own religions doesn't take as much work.

Really, the religions are actually the only significant sticking point. The rest of D&D is generic enough to suit most worlds, and the worlds it doesn't suit have very world specific oddities, such as Dark Sun and Spell Jammer. The problem with religions is that it is impossible to provide a interesting and usable religion that is generic. If they just list domains and ways you could build a religion it gets generic and boring, but any implemented religion implies a lot about how the world is arraigned.

One solution that might work for Next would be to have more then one default setting. Include domains in the main rules and then give basic setups for 4e cosmology, FR, Ebberon, and one or two others in side bar material.