FREE MTG database for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and/or Windows & Macintosh computers

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
This weekend I built a FileMaker Pro database that includes most of the cards from MTG (over 18,600 tonight). It will run on a Windows PC or a Mac if you have FileMaker Pro.  I'm willing to make a runtime version that will run on your computer even if you don't own FileMaker if there's enough demand.

Even more exciting, FileMaker Go is FREE for IOS, which means you can download this database to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. I intend to use it when I go to local gaming stores to buy or trade cards with other MTG players.  To keep the size of the database down, it does not have embedded pictures of the cards or included their text or abilities -- just some basic information (see screenshot). There's also a box to type in how many of the cards you own, in case you're trying to max out at 4 or whatever. I have also added an option to mark cards that you're seeking to acquire, like a shopping list. Since the database resides on your device, you don't need a live internet connection to use it.

I'm open to suggestions for improving it. I hope you will find it as useful as I do. Since the data in the database is all stuff that Wizards of the Coast is responsible for, I plan to give this away, not sell it. Drop me a line if you're interested. I plan to make it more polished as I get more familiar with MTG. I've only been playing a month or so.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks on the Mac. If you've got an internet connection, a picture of the card will show up on the main page. Mobile users may have problems with internet connectivity at conventions like GenCon, but since Apple is miserly when adding storage to their mobile devices, I'm committed to keeping the database as small and fast as possible.

www.sepeta.com/MTG%20Database.png

A conventional afterlife is for sissies.

Why do you people hate Windows Phones?
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I don't hate Windows Phone. I quite liked my Windows Mobile 6.0 phone; it was slow. Then I used Android for a few years before upgrading to the iPhone. I'd been using the first generation iPad for over a year before buying the iPhone 4; the iPad is the absolute best thing I've ever purchased for use with D&D, and now I'm spending a bit of time in MTG:DOTP to improve my Magic skills.

If Windows Phone or Android get FileMaker Go (which is owned by Apple), then the database will work on them too. But right now, FMG makes the iPhone and iPad the best mobile devices for me, personally. That and the immense number of music apps -- the low latency of the iPad blows away Android's sluggish latency. Hopefully Windows Phone & the Surface will get there, but they're not quite at the same level for this stuff. 

A conventional afterlife is for sissies.

Sign In to post comments