A Couple Slum Reaper Questions:

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi so I have a couple hypothetical scenarios I need straightened out with regards to how Slum Reaper works.  

The heart of all these questions is when are "targets" (targets in quotes since it doesn't say target anywhere in the ability) chosen for Slum Reaper's trigger? And what happens if Slum Reaper is somehow removed before it's trigger resolves?

1) Say I have an  Ulvenwald Tracker on the field and my opponent has a Falkenrath Aristocrat and Gravecrawler.  I cast a Slum Reaper, it resolves and its trigger goes on the stack.  In response to the trigger he casts a Searing Spear at my Slum Reaper.  Does he still have to sacrifice a creature? Do I still have to sacrifice my Ulvenwald Tracker even if I wanted to sacrifice my Slum Reaper initially? 

2) Same scenario as above, but I have no creatures on the battlefield when I cast Slum Reaper (thus the slum reaper would be in my graveyard when the trigger resolves and I would have no creatures to sacrifice).  What happens?
1) he still has to sacrifice a creature, as do you
once an ability is on the stack it is independent of its source

2) your opponent has to sacrifice a creature
as do you, but you can't, since you have none
proud member of the 2011 community team
The choices are made upon resolution of the ability.
And what happens if Slum Reaper is somehow removed before it's trigger resolves?

Sacrifices are still made.
1) Say I have an  Ulvenwald Tracker on the field and my opponent has a Falkenrath Aristocrat and Gravecrawler.  I cast a Slum Reaper, it resolves and its trigger goes on the stack.  In response to the trigger he casts a Searing Spear at my Slum Reaper.  Does he still have to sacrifice a creature? Do I still have to sacrifice my Ulvenwald Tracker even if I wanted to sacrifice my Slum Reaper initially?

Sacrifices are still made.  If the Tracker is the only creature you have, you have to sacrifice it.  Your opponent has to sacrifice a creature.
2) Same scenario as above, but I have no creatures on the battlefield when I cast Slum Reaper (thus the slum reaper would be in my graveyard when the trigger resolves and I would have no creatures to sacrifice).  What happens?

Sacrifices are still made.  Each player sacrifices a creature.  If you don't have a creature, nothing happens.

Rules Advisor