Rakdos Opinions

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a Rakdos deck that I would like some opinions on. I have four Rakdos Shredfreaks not in the deck and I was wondering whether or not I should put them in, and if yes what should come out. Any and all suggestions about the deck are welcome. Also want to try and keep it standard

land x 21
Evolving Wilds x1
Dragonskull Summit x1
Rakdos Guildgate x4
Mountain x7
Swamp x8

Spells x 19
Elixir of Immortality x1
Deviant Glee x2
Auger Spree x2
Slaughter Games x2
Launch Party x2
Tragic Slip x2
Murder x2
Furor of the Bitten x4
Curse of Stalked Prey x2

Creatures x 25
Hound of Griselbrand x2
Xathrid Gorgon x1
Splatter Thug x2
Dead Reveler x2
Thrill-Kill Assassin x4
Bloodcrazed Neonate x4
Grim Roustabout x2
Rakdos Cackler x2
Hellhole Flailer x2
Rix Maadi Guildmage x2
Tormented Soul x2

Thanks for the help!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Any and all suggestions about the deck are welcome. Also want to try and keep it standard

Rule of Nine: www.gatheringmagic.com/magic-the-classro...

This will help you draw your best cards more consistently.

Weak cards in your list include:

Rakdos Guildgate: Too slow. Replace with Dragonskull Summit and Blood Crypt
Elixir of Immortality: The theme of Rakdos is to do damage and destruction and to do it fast. This serves no purpose towards this theme.
Launch Party: Costs too much to play out. Replace with Dreadbore.
Murder: Works, but Dreadbore is better.
Furor of the Bitten: Enchantments that enchant creatures put you at real risk of losing two cards at once. Remove.
Xathrid Gorgon: Too slow; by turn 7 the game should already be over (in your favor). Compare him to a 4-mana drop like Hellrider or Desecration Demon or even the 5-mana Thundermaw Hellkite.

For other good red/black creatures, you could look at the Return to Ravnica Rakdos event deck list:

www.wizards.com/MAGIC/TCG/productarticle...

It's often a good idea to run red burn spells in fast decks (Pillar of Flame, Searing Spear, and Brimstone Volley are common choices). Also, you probably need one more land, if not two.
Thanks for the input, some of the cards you mentioned arent in there for the sole reason that I cannot afford to buy the cards. I would love a Hellrider and some Blood Crypts but they are too pricey right now, especially a Thundermaw Hellkite or two. I have a Carnival Hellsteed so I will probably stick him in. I can get two more Tormented Souls and two more Curse of Stalked Prey. The reason I have both Bloodcrazed Neonate and Furor of the Bitten in is because she has to attack anyway, why not beef her up to allow her to withstand potential blockers (also flavor-wise the whole "no blocking" theme of unleash)

Thanks again!
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I think the rakdos aggro decklist which give you the best chance to win (I mean barring the top decks zombies powerhouse) is the ultra aggressive decklist. In addition it's the only stanard list I've been able to come up with that I think gives a good chance at FNM while still being less than $20

4stromkirk noble - obviously not the budget option but can be replaced by tormented soul, vexing devil, gravecrawler or diregraf ghoul as needed
4rakdos cackler
4crimson muckwader
1gore-house chainwalker (alternatively ash zealot)
4lightning mauler
2hellhole flailer
4hellrider (if you can't get hellrider then just add 4 tormented soul and 4 deviant glee and hope for the best)

4pillar of flame
4searing spear
1victim of night (dreadbore if you have them)
1brimstone volley
4bump in the night
1flames of the firebrand

11 swamp
11 mountain
Duals would be nice here but not if they come into play tapped.

Tweak the numbers on creatures vs spells depending on the metagame. You might want more 1 drops such as vexing devil others might prefer the removal spells if you see a lot of greater than 3 toughness creatures victim of night becomes a more important inclusion than brimstone volley or flames of the firebrand. The great part about this is that the budget options aren't a huge drop off from the expensive rares and I feel like this deck has a place in the metagame, currently zombies is just better which is why you don't see decks such as this one at the major tournaments but for FNM something like this could be good.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I used to have a holo Cavern of Souls but I sold it. I am dumb :P
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Yea, I usually order cards from Cardkingdom.com. Usually the price isnt too bad, but I would rather pull a sweet card rather than pay for it

maybe during my next visit to the local card shop I can pick some of those cards up
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
By the way, unless you're running an alternate mana base that includes less of those specialty lands and more basic lands.

I'd suggest another optional tweak in-place of Stromkirk Noble.

-4 Crimson Muckwader +4 Thrill-Kill Assassin

Muckwader can take Thragtusk all by itself, but only if you've got a Swamp.

Deathtouch is sure-fire and it even doubles as evasion alongside being a fail-safe to destroy creatures.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Thanks I do actually run four Thrill-Kill Assassins now. Along with four Tormented Souls, Curse of Stalked Preys, Furor of the Bittens, and Bloodcrazed Neonate
Thanks all for your advice
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I'm a much better Magic player than you, and a much greater strategist. It's the least I can do.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Sign In to post comments