Naya Humans

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking for pointers on where I could improve this deck - particularly with the land selection (which obviously needs to improve once I have the dough) and sideboard.  It won 3/4 at a local tournament recently, even with the subpar land, so I like it - just looking for thoughts on that and whatever else, like which fatties to use or excluse, etc...

4x Champion of the Parish
2x Champion of Lambholt
3x Mayor of Avabruck

4x Avacyn's Pilgrim
3x Borderland Ranger

4x Gather the Townsfolk
2x Thatcher Revolt
2x Increasing Devotion

4x Cloudshift

3x Kessig Malcontents
2x Zealous Conscripts
2x Thragtusk
1x Angel of Glory's Rise

Lands (built on availability - need to revamp with big dolla' lands):
4x Clifftop Retreat
2x Gavony Township
1x Cavern of Souls
1x Selsesnya guildgate
4x Evolving Wilds
1x Temple Garden
2x Mountain
3X Plains
6x Forest

Edit:  Sideboard:

3x Rest In Peace
3x Oblivion Ring
3x Bonds of Faith
3x Knight of glory
3x Faith's Shield

Bunch of views but no replies.... Here's a specific question about it:

Knowing that I'm running the 4 cloudshifts and human combos, which 5-drop(s) do you like most:  Increasing Devotion, Thragtusk, Zealous Conscripts?

I'm running 2 of each right now - but if one would serve me better than the others, I can run 4 of any of them.  The way I see it, these are some best case scenarios for these cards:

Increasing Devotion - played while 1 or more champion is in play, giving it +5/+5, and/or Mayor is in play, making them 5 2/2's.  Turn after, Kessig Malcontents comes into play dealing a minimum of 6 damage to opponent.  Double that if cloudshift can also be played.

Thragtusk - Spots me 5 life, is a 5/3 and will still leave a 3/3 body if he blocks.  If the opponent attacks or targets him, I block and cloudshift him, netting me another 5 life and an extra 3/3 token.

Zealous Conscripts - Hasted 3/3, steals the opponenent's biggest/baddest thing.  Ideally, a planeswalker with some counters, or a giant creature, and swings for the win.  If it doesn't swing for the win, a cloudshift will either let me keep the creature permenantly, or will let me snag a 2nd target to use.

So I'm wondering if I should drop the thragtusks to maximize my chance of getting that conscript / cloudshift combo going?  The one deck I really lost to at my tournament was one where he was able to wipe the board, then accelerate some mana into getting a big creature or two on the board.
have you tried [C]Huntmaster of the Fells[/C] its a great card also [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C] i also Run a Naya Human deck but i use the "Soilbond" mechanis i am no expert but it may help ur deck.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29512001/Naya_Humans_(soulbond)_Deck
4 Cloudshift in a deck that's half tokens?   Those strategies are necessarily mutually exclusive.  Drop the token spells or drop the Cloudshifts.

Huntmaster is absolutely a must here.  Cavern is also a 4-of.  I might also add a Kessig Wolf Run.

The token into Champion-of-choice plan is interesting, and I can see that punching through midrange grinds pretty well.

I'm not particularly groovin' on the all-in token strategy though.  Kessig Malcontents is an awful topdeck to follow up an opponent's sweeper.

Personally I think you want to drop the token spells, and add in 3 or so Thalia.  It's super solid against all small aggro plus slows control.  You should still be able to make the Champs work with just creatures hitting play.  You would probably also benefit from some number of Elvish Visionary, two or so.

catowner wrote:
Welcome to 2012. Blue has the most efficient creatures, black has the all-in monocolored aggro deck, the most controlling deck in the format is green-red, control decks lose to aggro in attrition wars, and counterspells aren't an answer to fatties.
Islands wrote:
Pack Rat is like Bitterblossom and Tarmogoyf had a black baby.
Hm, interesting...  I definitely DO like the cloudshifts, as they seem to find use in every game I play...  They're a counter spell to save a creature (like an avabruck, for example), they can cloudshift a stolen creature to keep it, they can have the kessig malcontents do double the damage they would normally do, they can have borderland ranger get me an extra land in desperate mana-screw games, they can flicker thragtusk to give me an extra 5 life and 3/3 token, they can untap a tapped monster to be a surprise blocker for me....  Thus ends my rant in support of cloudshift, haha...

I do see what you mean with it conflicting with the token cards, though.  Perhaps I can use the sideboard to remove the tokens if I am playing a deck with good sweep cards - I was thinking of sideboarding Rootborn Defenses to counter those sweepers, but that would require me reserving 3 mana to work, which is an awful lot...  So I'll probably sideboard in removal spells (like Bonds of Faith) or Thalia, replacing Increasing Devotion, when I play against mass removal.

I definitely need more caverns of souls, and need to drop the Evolving Wilds for them and other dual-lands when I can.  And Huntsmaster is great, but not sure what I would remove for him.  Maybe some of the Borderland Rangers, if my mana becomes more efficient with the caverns?

I also still don't know whether I like Thragtusk or Zealous Conscripts more - one might save my butt by buying me an extra turn worth of life and a more persistent blocker, while the other gives me a hasted 3/3 plus a hasted temporary version of the opponent's best guy, which might swing for the win.  Kind of a toss-up, so maybe I should just trade in Thrag to get my cavern of souls.  =p
HUMANS!!!!!

You have an interesting combination of cards here, so it's pretty hard to suggest what to cut. What I will do is suggest you add the following:

Huntmaster of the Fells - Great all around card for this deck 

Instigator Gang Another way to increase aggro in this deck, especially if you get the +3/+0 

Silverblade Paladin This is a must for pretty much any deck running aggro and or humans

Odric, Master Tactician I would suggest you take out the 2x Champion of Lambholt for this guy. Champion is too easily taken out by removal unless you can pump him up the same turn you play him. Odric is not so easy to remove and will basically do the same thing for you and having 3 other creatures shouldn't be a problem in this deck.

Also you should probably run 4x Mayor of Avabruck. He is probably my favorite human and I know I love the card even more if I have a couple out on the field so that his boost for humans stacks. 

In terms of your mana you should try to run at least 2x Cavern of Souls. Have you looked at Sunpetal Grove for you G/W mana? It's considerably cheaper than Temple Garden is right now.  

Just my two cents, hope this helps out some. 
Yeah, I think Champion of Lambholt is best suited for my sideboard.  He's great against similar aggro decks with small creatures, or against guys like Fog Bank, but most of the time he's just too expensive and gets knocked out before he matters.

So, apart from land, I'm maybe looking at trying something like doing this to my main:

-2 Champion of Lambholt
+1 Mayor of Avabruck
+1 ?  I'm thinking of main-boarding Faith's Shield, though, because it's so cheap and 1-creature removal spells are so prominent right now.

Concerning Instigator Gang, I like him, but I think I'd like Hamlet Captain better.  He's half the price, and also buffs toughness for all of my dudes when attacking/blocking. 

There are just so many good sounding cards for this deck.  Rally the Peasants, Mark of Mutiny, Mentor of the Meek...
I could also sideboard Angelic Overseer for those decks that fly over thrag and co...
Sign In to post comments