Advice Needed: Fire Elementalist

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'd like some opinions on my character to see if there is anything I can improve on. We are playing without background or theme bonuses, however we do get some leeway with starting ability scores. For my items the only one I wasn't looking to optimize is my armor, I enjoy the flavor of Robe of Useful Items too much to swap it out until there is something a lot better at a higher level (leaning towards Robe of Eyes probably). I have no idea what will be obtainable item-wise by level 11 so I went with fairly cheap stuff for now based on what seemed like it would give the best benefits, if there is something better for a given slot let me know.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Damien Firesurge, level 11
Tiefling, Sorcerer (Elementalist), Speaker of Xaos
Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 23, DEX 14, INT 16, WIS 7, CHA 23

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 18, DEX 13, INT 15, WIS 6, CHA 18 (housefuled)

AC: 25 Fort: 25 Ref: 22 Will: 27
HP: 85 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Bluff +18, Diplomacy +16, Endurance +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Athletics +5, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +8, Insight +3, Intimidate +11, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +8, Stealth +9, Streetwise +11, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt
Sorcerer Attack: Ignition
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Fire)
Sorcerer Attack 1: Burning Spray
Endurance Utility 2: Endure Pain
Sorcerer Utility 2: Deep Shroud
Endurance Utility 10: Enter the Crucible
Speaker of Xaos Attack 11: Elemental Durance

FEATS
Level 1: Hellfire Blood
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Superior Implement Training (Accurate staff)
Level 6: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 10: Unarmored Agility
Level 11: Fiery Blood

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Trail Rations
Bottle of Wine
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Hellfire Accurate staff +2 x1
Defensive Accurate staff +1 x1
Burning Gauntlets (heroic tier) x1
Boots of the Fencing Master x1
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Belt of Vigor (heroic tier) x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Robe of Useful Items Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
====== End ======
1) I'm not sure I'd go with Burning Spray.  Maybe Ensorcelled Blade if you find yourself making occasional opportunity attacks, though there isn't really a great option there.
2) Endure Pain and Deep Shroud probably aren't the best options there.  You've got more powerful defensive options, and in some cases they're Encounter powers.  Dragonflame Mantle has some utility, and Sudden Scales, even without the Soul option, is pretty strong at level 6.  Also, for whichever one is actually your level 6 utility power, see my note below on places to go in paragon.
3) Enter the Crucible is also not the best power, but again, that's up to you.
4) Feats look pretty good overall.  You may want to consider Superior Will instead of Improved Defenses, however.  See my note below on places to go in paragon.
5) Speaker of Xaos works as a paragon path.  For alternatives, consider Essence Mage if you admixture something on, or Academy Master if you can convince your DM that the powers work.
6) It scales more slowly, but you could always go with an Accurate Staff of Ruin in your main hand and ditch the Bracers of the Perfect Shot.  That might reduce your Elemental Bolt damage slightly, but it would boost Ignition and give you item economy.

In terms of where to go from here: You absolutely, without a doubt, need some way to deal with fire resistance/immunity.  Gloves of Piercing will help for lower resistances, but you need something more.  Arcane Admixture (cold) lets you tack on a permafrost package, if you want, but you need some way of dealing with that problem.

Other places to go in Paragon:
Secrets of Belial to swap out your E6 for Eagle's Splendor (druid E6).  Use that as your first action of the first encounter of the day.

Dispater's Iron Discipline, especially with Superior Will.  The plain bonuses don't stack, but between the two of them, they make it very hard to hit you with will/status effects. 

In late Paragon, you may want to look into ways to make that ongoing damage from Elemental Escalation nastier (things like Icy Clutch of Stygia, or the fire equivalent which I'm blanking on right now).
1) I'm not sure I'd go with Burning Spray.  Maybe Ensorcelled Blade if you find yourself making occasional opportunity attacks, though there isn't really a great option there.
2) Endure Pain and Deep Shroud probably aren't the best options there.  You've got more powerful defensive options, and in some cases they're Encounter powers.  Dragonflame Mantle has some utility, and Sudden Scales, even without the Soul option, is pretty strong at level 6.  Also, for whichever one is actually your level 6 utility power, see my note below on places to go in paragon.
3) Enter the Crucible is also not the best power, but again, that's up to you.
4) Feats look pretty good overall.  You may want to consider Superior Will instead of Improved Defenses, however.  See my note below on places to go in paragon.
5) Speaker of Xaos works as a paragon path.  For alternatives, consider Essence Mage if you admixture something on, or Academy Master if you can convince your DM that the powers work.
6) It scales more slowly, but you could always go with an Accurate Staff of Ruin in your main hand and ditch the Bracers of the Perfect Shot.  That might reduce your Elemental Bolt damage slightly, but it would boost Ignition and give you item economy.

In terms of where to go from here: You absolutely, without a doubt, need some way to deal with fire resistance/immunity.  Gloves of Piercing will help for lower resistances, but you need something more.  Arcane Admixture (cold) lets you tack on a permafrost package, if you want, but you need some way of dealing with that problem.

Other places to go in Paragon:
Secrets of Belial to swap out your E6 for Eagle's Splendor (druid E6).  Use that as your first action of the first encounter of the day.

Dispater's Iron Discipline, especially with Superior Will.  The plain bonuses don't stack, but between the two of them, they make it very hard to hit you with will/status effects. 

In late Paragon, you may want to look into ways to make that ongoing damage from Elemental Escalation nastier (things like Icy Clutch of Stygia, or the fire equivalent which I'm blanking on right now).

That would be Hellfire Master
Hmm ok, I changed my level 2 utility to Dragonflame Mantle, level 6 to Sudden Scales, and level 10 to Maiden's Waking. As far as Burning Spray goes, part of my RP component is I'm sticking to nothing but fire for my attacks, so even though I agree that its lackluster I'm pretty much locked in there. As it stands the only time I'd ever see myself using it is if we are fighting a group of enemies with high fort and low reflex, otherwise Ignition is better all around.

The next feat I pick up in paragon will likely be Hellfire of Mephistopheles, and for sure by level 17 I'll have Hellfire Master. Arcane Admixture + Arcane Fire seem like a must have as well, sucks that it takes two feats to gain a bit of fire vulnerablity though. Dispater's Iron Discipline + Superior Will seems like a bit of overkill to me... and sacrificing Improved Defenses means my 2 lowest defenses dip even lower. I'll pretty much be dealing damage from max range though so perhaps it isn't as crucial for fortitude and reflex to be as high.

I'm not entirely sold on Staff of Ruin, but if I did go with that option would Defensive staff still be a top choice for offhand or should I hang onto Hellfire staff or go with another option entirely? Also, a couple other utilities I was eying was Grit and Spittle at lvl 2 and Grim Isolation at level 6. Either of those valid choices?
They really need an equivalent to Wizard's Wrath and Burn Everything for elementalists Frown
Incendiary Dagger training. 
Mark of Storm -> Lyrandar Wind-Rider for the excellent PP to add more damage to your bolts, admix Thunder onto it.

Our Fire Elementalist went with:
2.  Good Timing
6.  Sudden Scales
10.  Sorcerous Pulse
After level 17, Sorcerous Pulse might be retrained to Storm of Energy to boost the ongoing damage from bolts.

With no Themes, Secrets of Belial for Eagle's Splendor is a strong contender for an always-on power bonus to hit.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
They really need an equivalent to Wizard's Wrath and Burn Everything for elementalists

Well you have the INT and no MC, so you can just MC Wizard to gain access to those feats. Might not be ideal, but it's your best bet.
You do realize that Burn Everything runs off the int mod for its resistance piercing, yes?  16 Int qualifies for MC Wizard, but does very little to actually use Burn Everything for burning anything.

What Elementalists need is the baseline Sorcerer's resistance piercing feature.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Huh. I always thought it started out at 5+int in heroic, but apparently that's the paragon value.

If you're truly interested in optimizing this character, you really should ease up on your self-imposed fire powers only restriction.  There's no reason your Ensorcelled Blade can't glow with fire or something as you use it - if a problem is based on fluff, you can generally fix it with fluff. Mechanics are much less flexible. At any rate, you need something to use when you come up against resistant enemies.

Admixture is the probably the best solution, but may be even harder for you to swallow RP-wise. I suppose you could also beg your DM for a hosuerule.
Ignition sidesteps fire resistance.

And yeah, admixture or some other form of fluffy bunny damage to the rescue. Fire and thunder for an "explosive" bolt works well. Fire and acid for a fire that eats away at your enemies. Etc.
Keith Richmond Living Forgotten Realms Epic Writing Director
Fire and acid

Not entirely accurate, but for this I like to envision something similar to napalm.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Ignition sidesteps fire resistance.

And yeah, admixture or some other form of fluffy bunny damage to the rescue. Fire and thunder for an "explosive" bolt works well. Fire and acid for a fire that eats away at your enemies. Etc.

Good point, I forgot about that- Ignition doesn't actually do fire damage, despite having the fire keyword (compare to blazing cloud, for example).
Taking Admixture won't be a problem, I can definitely fit that in so it makes sense for my characters RP. My thoughts were that through extensive practice I have gained such a mastery over fire that I can make it burn hot or cold as I desire, so it works to pick up Arcane Fire for the vulnerability as well. A question on the point of Arcane Fire though, would I be able to use a frost weapon to save myself needing Admixture to tack on the dual damage types? There are too many feats I'd like to pick up as it is, but my concern would be then that since I have changed my spells from fire to frost I lose all benefits of the fire keyword. It's irrelevant if I can get a houserule on having the O-sorc spell piercing but I'm not sure the DM will go for that.

Here my updated character:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Damien Firesurge, level 11
Tiefling, Sorcerer (Elementalist), Academy Master (AM ties nicely with my backstory and after a 2nd look is a lot sexier with Escalation)
Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 23, DEX 14, INT 16, WIS 7, CHA 23

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 18, DEX 13, INT 15, WIS 6, CHA 18

AC: 26 Fort: 22 Ref: 20 Will: 27
HP: 85 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +15, Bluff +18, Diplomacy +16, Endurance +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +7, Athletics +5, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +8, Insight +3, Intimidate +11, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +8, Stealth +9, Streetwise +11, Thievery +7

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt
Sorcerer Attack: Ignition
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Fire)
Sorcerer Attack 1: Ensorcelled Blade (you were right Scatterbrained, no reason I can't use this)
Sorcerer Utility 2: Dragonflame Mantle (Grit and Spittle still seems like an interesting alternative, as does Good Timing)
Sorcerer Utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer Utility 10: Sorcerous Pulse (after re-reading Maiden`s Waking it really seems like you wouldn`t be able to roll a save on that turn, rather this pushes back negative effects 1 round and you take your turn as if they don`t exist)
Academy Master Attack 11: Learned Boost

FEATS
Level 1: Hellfire Blood
Level 2: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Level 4: Implement Expertise (Light blade)
Level 6: Superior Will
Level 8: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 10: Unarmored Agility
Level 11: Fiery Blood

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Climber's Kit
Trail Rations
Bottle of Wine
Bracers of the Perfect Shot (heroic tier) x1
Boots of the Fencing Master x1
Lucky Charm +1 x1
Belt of Vigor (heroic tier) x1
Eagle Eye Goggles (heroic tier) x1
Robe of Useful Items Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Wyrmtooth Dagger Incendiary dagger +2 x1
Rhythm Blade Incendiary dagger +1 x1
Gloves of Piercing x1
====== End ======

My elemental bolt retains the same attack bonus as I had with a staff, Ignition drops by 2 but I can live with that especially considering Incendiary Dagger provides some extra damage. For my two daggers I was looking over a few different options: wyrmtooth dagger, frost weapon (if it works with Arcane fire and lets me skip Admixture), infectious flame weapon, luckblade, chaos storm dagger, weapon of defense, flensing weapon, learning weapon, runic weapon, winged weapon, rhythm blade, elemental twist weapon, goblin totem, jagged weapon, and rebounding weapon. My next major purchase when I reach this point with my character will likely be Battlemaster's weapon to replace one of my existing weapons but I have no clue what the other one should be once I advance past level 11, or the best two to be using up until paragon.

One thing I noticed specific to the tiefling race is Grim Isolation as a level 6 utility paired with Master`s Blade as an alternative to Eagle`s Splendor. I realize it`s a rare weapon but the city we are starting out in has a population of 3 million so its quite feasible  to find a merchant that would be carrying such things. Does that seem like it could work out better than Splendor? Thanks so much for all the input thus far, you guys rock Smile
Secrets of Belial -> Eagle's Splendor is still superior, because Eagle's Splendor lasts until your next extended rest (at which point it recharges itself).  Thus, it's always on and available for you, whereas the other option is for one encounter/day.  Eagle's Splendor also includes a power bonus for Will, and a bonus to Charisma-based skill checks.  Nice benefits to have for something you were going to grab any way, consider it extra candy.

For rare weapons, Elementalists should highly consider a Weapon of Speed (dagger).  Item bonus to initiative, combined with a minor action RBA with that weapon 1/encounter is gravy for an Elementalist.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Secrets of Belial -> Eagle's Splendor is still superior, because Eagle's Splendor lasts until your next extended rest (at which point it recharges itself).  Thus, it's always on and available for you, whereas the other option is for one encounter/day.  Eagle's Splendor also includes a power bonus for Will, and a bonus to Charisma-based skill checks.  Nice benefits to have for something you were going to grab any way, consider it extra candy.

For rare weapons, Elementalists should highly consider a Weapon of Speed (dagger).  Item bonus to initiative, combined with a minor action RBA with that weapon 1/encounter is gravy for an Elementalist.

My builder is being broken and not working properly, however I think iirc that the builder makes the weapon of speed a power bonus.  I assume this is wrong, as it makes no sense, but keep in mind it will automatically do it wrong if you give yourself a weapon of speed.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Pretty sure you're confusing Weapon of Speed with Battle Harness, which does give a power bonus to init. I don't think the Weapon of Speed has that problem.
Pretty sure you're confusing Weapon of Speed with Battle Harness, which does give a power bonus to init. I don't think the Weapon of Speed has that problem.

You are correct.  I knew I had a power and item bonus to initiative on one of my characters and I thought it was the other way around, however the builder wouldn't load .  Weapon of Speed is, in fact, the item bonus and BH is the power bonus.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Oh wow completely missed that one, yeah Weapon of Speed is definitely going to be one of my daggers. For the second one I'm leaning towards Elemental Twist Weapon to solve the resistance problem unless I can get a houserule, in which case Battlemaster's Weapon for an extra Escalation seems like the best choice. Their power being a daily is fine as our Artificer can recharge items. I'm not interested in Frost Weapon anymore since there are clearly better options, but out of curiosity does Frost Weapon + Arcane Fire let you skip taking Admixure to gain the vulnerability bonus to your attacks?

Secrets of Belial > Eagle's Splendor does seem like the better option, you sold me on that one especially considering it helps out with both fighting encounters and social encounters. The last power I'm still wondering about is Grit and Spittle as a lvl 2 alternative to Dragonflame Mantle. The ability to roll two saves in a turn when you have some nasty debuffs going seems like it might scale a bit better for higher levels.

All-in-all im pretty satisfied with how my character is shaping out so thanks a ton for the help guys, very appreciatedSmile. If anybody has an answer about Frost Weapon and Grit and Spittle let me know, else I'll resurrect this thread at a future date when we progress further into paragon.

Oh wow completely missed that one, yeah Weapon of Speed is definitely going to be one of my daggers. For the second one I'm leaning towards Elemental Twist Weapon to solve the resistance problem unless I can get a houserule, in which case Battlemaster's Weapon for an extra Escalation seems like the best choice.

Elemental Twist is nice, an can be a real help.  Be careful, though, because like WoS it's a level 10/15/20/25/30 weapon (WoS also has level 5), so you'll get the weapon later in a given tier than you would otherwise.  Depending on what you want to do otherwise, there are some other intriguing weapons, like Melegaunt's Dark Blade or Jagged Dagger at level 12.

Their power being a daily is fine as our Artificer can recharge items. I'm not interested in Frost Weapon anymore since there are clearly better options, but out of curiosity does Frost Weapon + Arcane Fire let you skip taking Admixure to gain the vulnerability bonus to your attacks?

[Edited] Ignore what I wrote originally.  See Nirafelos' response on the next page for the full answer.

Secrets of Belial > Eagle's Splendor does seem like the better option, you sold me on that one especially considering it helps out with both fighting encounters and social encounters. The last power I'm still wondering about is Grit and Spittle as a lvl 2 alternative to Dragonflame Mantle. The ability to roll two saves in a turn when you have some nasty debuffs going seems like it might scale a bit better for higher levels.

Defeinitely intriguing.  It won't help against anything that denies you all your actions, but it could help, for instance, against dazed, as well as lesser things.  Doesn't have that much syngergy with Dispater's Iron Discipline, as a warning- if you're dominated or stunned, you won't have a minor action.

Edited: See above.  I gave a partially correct and speculative answer above, Nirafelos gave the full answer on the next page.  My answer is deleted to avoid confusion. 
WoS is actually useable at level 5, just can't bump it up to a +2 until level 10. Melegaunt's as an alternative to Battlemaster's is interesting, especially paired with Arcane Fire. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Depending on your interpretation of Maiden's Waking, pairing it with Grit and Spittle could be actually be incredibly powerful. The way I read MW though is that you are taking your turn as if the debuff doesn't exist at all but gets deferred to future turns without decreasing the duration- meaning a single round debuff kicks in on your following turn rather then letting you bypass it entirely.

edit: Whoops misread that a bit. Yeah WoS I think would just be my offhand and I'd go with a different mainhand. Honestly depending on the type of loot we find will dictate that a lot, I'll probably spend money on items first while saving up some cash to get a really nice weapon at a higher level.
Frost weapon would remove the fire keyword and damage type from EB and add the cold keyword and damage type to it. So it would function with lasting frost, but not with arcane fire. Ignition, on the other hand, unexpectedly does not deal fire damage on the initial hit, so with a frost weapon, it would retain both keywords, deal cold damage on a hit and create a fire zone. It would work correctly with arcane fire.

Please note that while ignition often looks superior in your imagination, EB is almost always the superior choice in real play, and is the more optimizable of the two as well. It deals more damage, is more accurate, and in real play, with escalation, two targets is often the best you can hope for with an AB1 anyway, and Ignition isn't party-friendly with either its targeting or zone.

Of course, if you admixtured thunder on it and took the master of flames PP, it becomes somewhat larger.
I don't think there's any reason to think Maiden's Waking defers an end of next turn condition; if you use it against 'stunned until the end of your next turn', you dodge the stun altogether.
Ok thats kinda what I figured Frost Weapon would do, thanks for clarifying. So then I guess the best way to add some vulnerability to my targets would be stacking Admixture with Arcane Fire and Lasting Frost and pick up Hell's Burning Mark in epic tier assuming I can find some way to mark my target- anything else there I'm missing?

Effect: You take your turn as though you were not stunned, dazed, or unconscious. At the end of your turn, the effect continues as normal

To me it sounds as if the effect simply does not exist for the turn you gain by expending Maiden's Waking. The debuff hasn't lost a round in its duration because it wasn't active for that turn, and then resumes as normal the following round. I would much rather go by your interpretation though as the combination of Grit and Spittle, Superior Will, Maiden's Waking, and Dispater's Iron Discipline mean you are all but immune to this type of disable.

If the effect says it lasts until the end of your next turn, that's how long it lasts. The wording for MW just means that if you don't make your save, the effect continues after your turn. It's not specifically prolonging any effects.

I would even say you're overdoing it with Grit and Spittle.  DID and Sup Will alone are going to work most of the time, and it's not too hard to get another +2 or so from somewhere. MW is for the rare occasions you roll a 1 or 2.
Ah ok, glad to hear it. We just hit level 2 so gonna go with Dragonflame Mantle, the combination of Infernal Wrath + DM + our warden's marking power adds up to some nice damage in addition to the defensive bonus. By level 10 I'll see whether Sorcerous Pulse or Maiden's Waking is going to be more beneficial, leaning towards MW unless I'm rarely getting hit.
Frost weapon would remove the fire keyword and damage type from EB and add the cold keyword and damage type to it. So it would function with lasting frost, but not with arcane fire. Ignition, on the other hand, unexpectedly does not deal fire damage on the initial hit, so with a frost weapon, it would retain both keywords, deal cold damage on a hit and create a fire zone. It would work correctly with arcane fire.

Actually, it would create a Cold Zone, it's still "damage dealt by the Frost Weapon" and therefore turns into Cold Damage.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
So then I guess the best way to add some vulnerability to my targets would be stacking Admixture with Arcane Fire and Lasting Frost

Arcane Fire and Lasting Frost don't stack with each other. Or, rather, they each apply a vuln 5 cold, but vuln 5 + vuln 5 = vuln 5.

Which is better depends on a couple of things. Arcane Fire works against everything you hit - but only for your next attack against it - which means zone damage won't benefit from it, nor will any also-frostcheesing allies. Lasting Frost applies only to the first creature you hit per round, but zone damage and allies can benefit from it.

I wouldn't recommend taking both, and it doesn't much matter which you take.
Haha too bad, really wanted to stack a ton of vulnerability if it was possible. I'll go with Arcane Fire then,  it fits my fluff better plus its a bit more damage if I use an Escalated Ebolt on back to back rounds and hit two targets both times. It's also very unlikely anybody else in the party will go for frostcheese, I'm the only one that gets fully into optimization. Just thought of something- if I were to MC Wizard to grab Consuming the Weak/Sympathy of Flame would the ongoing benefit from the vuln, or is MCing anything as an elementalist even worth it?
Well arcane fire gives vuln cold, and consuming the weak needs vuln fire to work. Also, at 16 escalation adds ongoing that wouldn't stack with it anyway. Sympathy isn't bad, and Wizard's Wrath is another potential semi-fix to the resistance issue. But speaking from experience, it's a pain to get your int up high enough to MC anything but a con or cha req, while also meeting the dex req for dual implement spellcaster. It gets easier in paragon for sure, though.

Depending on whether your DM allows you to MC cleric for Battle Cleric's Lore, that's a very attractive option.
MCing cleric isn't really an option, given my characters backstory the only viable ones would be either wizard or warlock. Our group is more about having things that make sense thematically in the context of the character or world, and I definitely like to build characters that way- just tweaking what is possible within that context. Looking around the forum it seems like a fire blaster is not the most optimal of builds, but flavor-wise it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Maybe starting off with the Pyromancer build for Mage would have been better, I dunno, but this way with me optimizing a sub-par class and the rest of the party playing non-optimized A-classes we all stay at a relatively equal place. Already have a Wrathvoker rolled up with plans to go Morninglord/Radiant One should this character bite the dust or if the party starts needing more control in encounters. Thanks for the feedback Smile
Pyromancer mages are more optimizable than elementalists, but baseline elementalists start out pretty far ahead. In a rolepay heavy, unoptimized party, they're actually relatively likely to think the elementalist is overpowered.

Not trying to change your mind at all re: MC cleric, but one of my very favorite characters to roleplay is an overly-devout priestess of Amaunator, who brings glory to the Light by burning those who would cast us into Darkness. She is an Elementalist MC Cleric Morninglord using a crusader mace and admixture to deal fire/cold/radiant with her attacks, leaving enemies vuln 5 cold and vuln 10 radiant. She's a little sad that the Morninglord attacks are awful for her, but otherwise she's /awesome/. It's fine if that flavor doesn't mesh with your existing backstory, but just throwing it out there.
Pyromancer mages are more optimizable than elementalists, but baseline elementalists start out pretty far ahead. In a rolepay heavy, unoptimized party, they're actually relatively likely to think the elementalist is overpowered.

Not trying to change your mind at all re: MC cleric, but one of my very favorite characters to roleplay is an overly-devout priestess of Amaunator, who brings glory to the Light by burning those who would cast us into Darkness. She is an Elementalist MC Cleric Morninglord using a crusader mace and admixture to deal fire/cold/radiant with her attacks, leaving enemies vuln 5 cold and vuln 10 radiant. She's a little sad that the Morninglord attacks are awful for her, but otherwise she's /awesome/. It's fine if that flavor doesn't mesh with your existing backstory, but just throwing it out there.

I really like the elemental/divine combination, something I'll definitely keep in mind for a future character. Not viable for me right now, but a very cool concept.

Thanks a ton to everybody that has helped me out here. I'll likely be looking for optimization tips in a few months when we start getting into paragon content but you have all given me lots to work with till then. Cheers Smile