5e comes out next August

Edition neutral adventure.

Fun times for players of every edition! Otherwise, nothing to see here... 

Danny

Even after we've been told the new edition won't come out until at least January 2014, some persist in believing otherwise.  I think I remember hearing that the Sundering storyline was supposed to be mid-edition.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

Is that August or next August?

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

35 bucks for an adventure? This better be worth it :P
My two copper.

It's hardcover, so the prices go up. Check out how much Amazon is selling Anauroch: Empire of Shade for...

It's the main reason our goup hasn't concluded the 3-part story arch for that adventure.  
If it is an edition neutral adventure, I'd like to see how how they handle the combats and task resolutions. Insert the orcs from your edition of choice here, perhaps?

Going by the description, there's no quick'n'dirty rules booklet. So either this is a product for an existing edition, it really is edition neutral, or it's an early 5th Edition product that's released right after an as-yet-unannounced boxed set. Since, according to Mearls from L&L 10/15, "The core D&D game, which is the starting point for new players and the game of choice for veteran players who want a streamlined system, is mostly done at this stage.", it wouldn't be surprising to see a starter set show up around July.
Well, if there's one way to see if the upcoming Realms is right for one of my old groups (and me of course), this might be it.  Anyway, I'm cool with the edition neutral approach.  Hopefully I can go with either 2e, Pathfinder, or 4e without too much hassle...  Or heck, go with the then current playtest material for 5e.  Table's choice, of course.  Also, at 35 dollars, I'm expecting good quality...  even if it is built to help decide the "fate of the Realms" and this Sundering event.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

It's hardcover, so the prices go up. Check out how much Amazon is selling Anauroch: Empire of Shade for...

It's the main reason our goup hasn't concluded the 3-part story arch for that adventure.  

I'd be much more likely to buy a 15 dollar, soft cover adventure.
My two copper.
From the description, it looks like the adventure is only part of the book, and it's also a complete sourcebook for the city of Baldur's Gate.

Components:
  64-page setting book describing Baldur's Gate and its inhabitants
  32-page adventure book
  Four-panel, foldout DM screen keyed to the adventure
  Illustrated folder

If it is an edition neutral adventure, I'd like to see how how they handle the combats and task resolutions. Insert the orcs from your edition of choice here, perhaps?

Going by the description, there's no quick'n'dirty rules booklet. So either this is a product for an existing edition, it really is edition neutral, or it's an early 5th Edition product that's released right after an as-yet-unannounced boxed set. Since, according to Mearls from L&L 10/15, "The core D&D game, which is the starting point for new players and the game of choice for veteran players who want a streamlined system, is mostly done at this stage.", it wouldn't be surprising to see a starter set show up around July.

Anything but a starter set.  I'd rather see the PHB, MM, and DMG released unfinished.  Starter sets are the single worst thing to happen to D&D.  They set an unrealistic expectation for new players, forcing them to essentially relearn the game once they advance beyond the confines of the limited beginner's material.

From the description, it looks like the adventure is only part of the book, and it's also a complete sourcebook for the city of Baldur's Gate.

Sourcebook too?  Groovy.  I like when an adventure packages info on the surrounding area too, that way you have a chance to expand and explore far beyond...  perhaps come back to the adventure for something different next time.  (Like I6, the essential Halloween one-shot D&D module!)  Plus, venturing back to Baldur's Gate?  YEAH!

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Why can't we just have nice, simple, published adventures back? That's all I want...not these adventures + accessories bundles wizards seems to be pushing.
My two copper.
Why can't we just have nice, simple, published adventures back? That's all I want...not these adventures + accessories bundles wizards seems to be pushing.

I'd like to have both. I prefer, however, that a setting sourcebook be mostly focused on that aspect of itself, but include an adventure as well as some suggestions for further adventures in the setting. A book that is primarily an adventure should, as you said, be all adventure in an affordable, easily portable softcover.
If the followup adventures were a lower price, and made use of all the baldur's gate material the first package gave you, then I would be ok with it. If they try and push a new city every time, I might get upset
My two copper.
I agree. One of the things that really bugged me in the post-TSR era was the infrequency of basic adventure modules.
ugh...more generic dull fantasy...i mean forgotten realms...
SPELLJAMMER!
My two copper.
Honestly I havent seen a mod made by wizards that was worth paying for. Now some of the old TSR mods where quite good.

These new forums are terrible.

I misspell words on purpose too draw out grammer nazis.

Honestly I havent seen a mod made by wizards that was worth paying for. Now some of the old TSR mods where quite good.

By Wizards? Not a lot. Red Hand of Doom was pretty good, but other than that I can't think of any standout ones. Most of the good stuff was 3rd party.
My two copper.

By Wizards? Not a lot. Red Hand of Doom was pretty good, but other than that I can't think of any standout ones. Most of the good stuff was 3rd party.

Wizards scared away alot of the good 3rd parties in 4th thinking that it would increase their profit,unfortunatly I believe that is one of the reasons that 4ths lifespan was so short. I believe 3rd parties are most important early on and late in a editions cycle.

SPELLJAMMER!

who

what

where

when

how

?????

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I always wanted to play spelljammer but never got a whole group to go for it.

Is there a difference?

Anyways, the Amazon entry says Auguast 2013....

Is there a difference?

Anyways, the Amazon entry says Auguast 2013....

Yes.

This looks interesting. Edition neutral adventures... I'm curious as to how they will accomplish this.

erdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Im sick of the Forgotten Realm's schizophrenia. You cant have it both ways. If you want to reset the entire setting stop going back to the well. Isnt Baldur's Gate already fleshed out and decorated with achivements of other heroes and NPCs? I wish wotc would just fess up and admit that the spellplague was ill thought direction and pretend it never happened.

I just wish we could actually explore the realms. By most of the content ever produced for the realms it might as well just be the swordcoast and the underdark :P
My two copper.
It wont be edition nutral. That would be incredibly difficult to pull off as the number of monsters would vary greatly. Im pretty sure it is going to he a 5th edition game
Hmm. if this was softcover, I might think this was supposed to be a strategy guide for a new computer game. Creating edition neutral adventures would probably have a lot of benefits. For example, it would give them something to publish that would support all the editions and would go well with the various ruelbook reprints they are doing. It would also give 4e players additional material to use while they continue with the design of 5e. Likewise, it would provide a number of already created adventures that players could use when 5e comes out.
Ive felt for the longest time that they have over used the realms.I think they have lost alot of the realms fans by resetting the world too many times in too short of a period. I would love a generic campaign setiing as the main setting( its why I liked points of light). Keep your story books and your gaming books seperate is my motto.

That's an interesting observation about the reboot. Some of my friends and I have the same concern about the new spiderman reboot. I really like the movie, I just don't really think the origin story is an improvement on the one in the 2002 Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire. I wasn't aware that his parent's identities or fate had been covered much in the comics. Of course, I haven't read many of them. I mostly know Spidey through all the great cartoons they made. I'll have to see how they decide to follow the new movie up.
That's an interesting observation about the reboot. Some of my friends and I have the same concern about the new spiderman reboot. I really like the movie, I just don't really think the origin story is an improvement on the one in the 2002 Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire. I wasn't aware that his parent's identities or fate had been covered much in the comics. Of course, I haven't read many of them. I mostly know Spidey through all the great cartoons they made. I'll have to see how they decide to follow the new movie up.

His parents have been mentioned under a dozen times in the comics history and were only features I think...twice? Both were side stories :P According to canon they died in a plane crash.
My two copper.
The book is probably softcover like the early 4th edition adcentures. Im concluding this because of the folder that comes with the adventure. With products like this amazon has listed them as hardcover even when they are not. I could be wrong though.
My big problem with Forgotten Realms is the tunnel vision focus on Faerun.  I'd love to hear what has happened in Kara-Tur, Zakhara, or what happened to Maztica.  Heck, I'd be interested to hear what happened to the Nimbrali and they were technically part of Faerun.

To me Forgotten Realms isn't so much fleshed out as it is focused on the same places over and over again to the detriment of the rest of the world.  I want to hear more about the Forgotten Realms of the Forgotten Realms.

I asked about this early in 4E's life directly to the developers at a local convention.  Their response was that they simply didn't have writers submitting ideas for those places.  I must admit seeing numerous online groups dedicated to these very places I find that hard to believe.  It seems easier to believe that Forgotten Realms is being fueled by Greenwood, greenbacks, and literally nothing else.  The stories are there, but they're not Greenwood's stories, so they'll never see the light of day.

Which is why we have "Still More Baldur's Gate" in 2013.

His parents have been mentioned under a dozen times in the comics history and were only features I think...twice? Both were side stories :P According to canon they died in a plane crash.

The films have teased at the canon of the Ultimate Marvel Universe as well, which definitely toys with the idea of a greater conspiracy in the world that interconnects most of the heroes as we know them. (Namely that mutants, Captain America, the Hulk, and Spider-Man, as well as many of their buddies and their respective rogue's galleries, are the varied outcomes of 'super soldier' experiments perpetrated by the government and private pharmaceutical companies over the course of many decades.)

I agree that the reboot is a bit too soon, but I'm definitely intrigued as to what they intend to do with Peter's parents in the film canon (and whether or not we'll see Spiderman and/or Wolverine in a future Avengers movie).

Danny

Too bad he is dead in the ultimates universe
My two copper.
Too bad he is dead in the ultimates universe

I knnoooowww 

Danny

Thats one of the 3? FR adventures announced at Gen Con where the results will be surveyed and will affect the Next Realms, they said.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

There were a couple solid adventures for 4E but most were underwhelming. I think the design approach was fundamentally flawed--essentially, writing to the lowest common denominator. Madness At Gardmore Abbey is a great product and one I definitely recommend. I also think the Neverwinter Campaign Setting is excellent, regardless of your opinion on 4E Realms.
I've never understood WoTC obsession with The Forgotten Realms. (The name "Living Forgotten Realms" just annoys me...)

I was sad when they cancelled Ravenloft setting for 4e. Been trying to convert it myself for a while now.

There seems to be a lot of panning of the published adventures that WoTC produced for 4e but I like them. I don't have time to make all the stuff up myself. It's enough work; to plan out the encounters, adventure/campaign workflow with XP and treasure, edit the maps to have no monsters and become 1 inch square scale.

I adjusted them slightly and some are better than others. But for busy people and still learning DMs they make things so much easier. The Tomb of Horrors sequel is fantastic!