11/27/2012 RC: "It's Grime Time!"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Golgari Sligh! <3 
This is not the first time you've taken a cool idea and made it boring.
Loved that rats and walkers deck.
I want to be Cultured.
Rules question. 0.o if there are five critters and a grime on the board, and someone wraths the board, do you get five critters with p/t=the number of counters on grime?
Rules question. 0.o if there are five critters and a grime on the board, and someone wraths the board, do you get five critters with p/t=the number of counters on grime?

Yep. Your five creatures dying all trigger the Grime, and make five Ooze tokens.

Keep in mind that the P/T of each token changes as more counters get put on Gutter Grime, by the way. After the first creature dies, you'll have one 1/1 Ooze. When a second dies, you'll have two Oozes that are both 2/2. A third one leaves you with three 3/3s, and so on.
Gavin says that his refined version of the original deck is "plenty powerful".

Yeah, it should be, since it contains 37 rares and 2 mythics...

Those mythics are pretty far down on the mythic scale as they came in foil versions in a recent vs deck, you can pick up play sets of Splinterfright, Heartless summoning, and gutter grime for less than $2/playset... and he's right... why would you skip on lands that you will use forever.... the thragtusks and deathrites and to a lesser extent the zombies are kinda rough, but have all been in recent precons.  If you are looking in budget territory, simply play mono color decks, they need no land assistance. *shrug*
Golgari Sligh!

Yeah! I also really liked that decklist looked cool.

Thanks for the feedback! What would you have liked to have seen done?

On non-budget weeks I try and optimize the deck regardless of rare inclusion. Though I will say, for comparison, the original decklist still had 33 rares and 1 mythic.

On non-budget weeks I try and optimize the deck regardless of rare inclusion. Though I will say, for comparison, the original decklist still had 33 rares and 1 mythic.

Ah. Sorry. I didn't realise that.

Well, yes, if the sky's the limit, why not stuff a deck with rares and mythics? I certainly would.

Just gotta' say, love or hate the final deck, I always appreciate the explanation you give for why you cut/add cards and how to think about a deck as a whole, not just individual cards. 
I had a lot of fun designing the Suicide Slime deck. Considering I had't built a deck in almost 5-7 years, I think it turned out pretty well!

While I agree the deck might have lost some of its "quirkiness" in the Reconstructing process, I like the direction Gavin's taken it and the reasoning behind it (moving from Combo with a splash of Beatdown, to Beatdown with Combo as Plan B). The changes make a lot of sense, and reflect some of the deckbuilding decisions I struggled with. Ex: Grisly Salvage was my first thought, but I ended up picking Jarad's Order for the "one offs" angle.

I especially enjoy how the revised deck can play like a standard Beatdown and drop the combo as a near-complete surprise. Yes, it's filled with a couple of Rare / Mythic Rare staples, but I can imagine an opponent picking up Gutter Grime or Heartless Summoning with a puzzled look on his face.
I'm guessing that "made it boring" is a synonym for "added Thragtusks." Not including them in a midrange green deck just means you lose more often though. A better deck is more consistent and plays the best cards in its slots. Not sure what this column is supposed to be if you take that away.

Thanks for the feedback! What would you have liked to have seen done?

I looked at the before and after deck again and it's not that bad in this case, but here's what I was thinking.

Let the combo shine a bit more. Add a 4th Gravecrawler, throw in a one of Diabolic Revelation, mention other sacrifice outlets that could be used (Demonmail Hauberk would work). I don't like the "combo is bad" crowd, and I don't like when people suggest changes that are basically "minus this deck, +1 good deck". If you're Reconstructing a deck you want to make sure it retains its original identity rather than drawing every deck closer to its tier 1 equivalent (otherwise you'll get people asking "why not just go all the way").

Well, yes, if the sky's the limit, why not stuff a deck with rares and mythics? I certainly would.

Rares and mythics don't always make a deck better.
Hmmm... It's a bit tough to piece this together for someone who came back to Magic in 2013, after a long absence since Shadowmoor. Altogether, it would cost me roughly $329.00 to assemble the pieces for this deck, granted it includes a ton of pieces I'd be able to scavenge for other, more tier 1 decks anyway. I may stick with the "Look Ma, No Creatures" one from a few weeks back. This will be my first run testing that one in the local metagame.
Golgari Sligh! <3 

Thirded!
Deck blog: http://alurenrecycle.blogspot.com/ http://gureiseion.tumblr.com/
Hmm, I liked the Bouncing Golgari deck and the Descent into Madness. Not sure if the Descent into Madness deck has enough card advantage to stay alive long enough, but it would be "fun" to try. ("Fun" in the way that Smokestack and Stasis are "fun".)

I was really hoping for an exciting Golgari deck but this one doesn't do it for me. You said at the end of your last article that it would be budget golgari. From this I took it to mean no expensive gravecrawlers or lotleth trolls, and some cool combos. I was really let down. If a budget deck wasnt what you had in mind for this week, please be more specific.

Almost any of your honorable mentions would have been better to redo (in my opinion). Especially the Corpsejack ones because you cant just slide on to TCGplayer and find as 1st place deck with them.

Quote from last article:

Of Boards and Budgets

Sideboarding can be tricky, but hopefully this helps unveil some of the mystery behind it. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them—just send me a tweet with your question!

In the meantime, let's move from the art of 'boarding to the art of budgeting. Another ReConstructing on a Budget article has been a popular request—and the good news is it's just about time for another one!

Format: Standard (InnistradDark AscensionAvacyn RestoredReturn to Ravnica, and Magic 2013)
Restrictions: Your deck is on a budget. For a loose definition, consider budget to contain few rares and very few, if any, mythic rares.
Deadline: Monday, November 26, at 6 p.m. Pacific Time

Send all decklists via email by clicking the "Respond via Email" link at the bottom of this article

What Ravnican budget decks have you been playing? What would you like to be able to play? Send me your decklist and we'll see what happens next!

In the meantime, if you have any questions, sideboarding or otherwise, feel free to send me a tweet or post in the forums. Let me know if this was helpful—and if there are any specific aspects to sideboarding you'd like to see covered in the future.

Next week, I'll be back with some Golgari goodness for Golgari week. I'll talk to you then!

Gavin 

I was really hoping for an exciting Golgari deck but this one doesn't do it for me. You said at the end of your last article that it would be budget golgari. From this I took it to mean no expensive gravecrawlers or lotleth trolls, and some cool combos. I was really let down. If a budget deck wasnt what you had in mind for this week, please be more specific.

Almost any of your honorable mentions would have been better to redo (in my opinion). Especially the Corpsejack ones because you cant just slide on to TCGplayer and find as 1st place deck with them.

Quote from last article:

Of Boards and Budgets

Sideboarding can be tricky, but hopefully this helps unveil some of the mystery behind it. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them—just send me a tweet with your question!

In the meantime, let's move from the art of 'boarding to the art of budgeting. Another ReConstructing on a Budget article has been a popular request—and the good news is it's just about time for another one!

Format: Standard (InnistradDark AscensionAvacyn RestoredReturn to Ravnica, and Magic 2013)
Restrictions: Your deck is on a budget. For a loose definition, consider budget to contain few rares and very few, if any, mythic rares.
Deadline: Monday, November 26, at 6 p.m. Pacific Time

Send all decklists via email by clicking the "Respond via Email" link at the bottom of this article

What Ravnican budget decks have you been playing? What would you like to be able to play? Send me your decklist and we'll see what happens next!

In the meantime, if you have any questions, sideboarding or otherwise, feel free to send me a tweet or post in the forums. Let me know if this was helpful—and if there are any specific aspects to sideboarding you'd like to see covered in the future.

Next week, I'll be back with some Golgari goodness for Golgari week. I'll talk to you then!

Gavin 

Ah, I can see your confusion. To clarify, I ask for my submissions two weeks out. So the budget submissions I asked for will be appearing in the article that runs next week. If you're looking for some budget ideas, that's where you'll want to turn.
And I loved Golgari Sligh enough to take a very similar build to Top 4 of the last FNM.Tongue Out
Deck blog: http://alurenrecycle.blogspot.com/ http://gureiseion.tumblr.com/
Sign In to post comments