Master Transmuter & Artifact Lands?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

THis is a two part Question about Master Transmuter.

If I activate Master Transmuter ability can I return an Artifact land to my hand?

And If I activate Master Transmuter ability since its not a "cast" Ability, can I put an Artifact land on the battlfild? 
yes to both
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yes to both.  An artifact land is an artifact so it can be used to pay the cost of the master transmuter's ability.  Likewise master transmuter's effect has you put an artifact onto the battlefield, it doesn't actually play the land so you can indeed put an artifact land onto the battlefield and not have it be your one land per turn land or also put it onto the battlefield if it's not your turn.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Cool thanks. Just wanted to be shour.
If you want to, you can tap the artifact land for mana, then return it to your hand with the transmuter, then return THAT SAME CARD to play when the transmuter's ability resolves.  This effectively untaps the land, but since the transmuter ability costs a mana, I doub't it would help you very much.  So if somone goes "I cast Stone Rain on your Seat of the Synod..." you could, in response, go "in response, I activate Master Transmuter, tapping my seat of the synod to pay the mana cost, then returning the seat to my hand... it resolves? ok, then I put Seat of the Synod back into play, untapped.  Your Stone Rain resolves now, but it's original target has left and come back in the meantime, so Stone Rain is countered because it's target went away."
However you could pull some pretty sweet landfall triggers with that little combo.
However you could pull some pretty sweet landfall triggers with that little combo.

Thats the Idea. I also thot of playing Master Transmuter with Myr Battlesphere, Unwinding Clock and Golem Foundry.
just be aware that the returning artifact will not trigger Golem Foundry
neither will playing Artifact Lands
Most Master Transmuter combos are helped if you can give the Tranny haste in some way.  Lightning Greaves works, as NEITHER the bounce-an-artifact cost NOR the effect target anything!
my favourite is Thousand-Year Elixir
that way you can flicker her and have her ready again after that to dodge targetted removal