Academies of Andorax [AOA]

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
The plane of Andorax is split neatly into five academies of magic, with each having their own practices. To the east, the built-up cities of Vorlaz practice clerical magic, with the belief that helping each other will benefit everyone, and help oneself stride down the path to ascension simultaneously.

The north is home to the Blusteraq, where self-study and collective study are the focal points of civilisation. The acquisition of knowledge is considered essential to ascension, and it is encouraged to do so as much as possible.

At the centre of the plane is Lazanra's Vault, where the shamans and other exiled people are sent, sealed off from the rest of the plane. Lazanra's people bide their time, doing heinous deeds with the justification that they will bring about their uprising.

To the west lies Shamnor, whose academy is the most experimental in their ways. They harness the most extreme elements of the plane - lightning, lava, the earth itself - just to see what happens. Perhaps the most volatile natured academy, they seemingly change their experiments at random.

The south is home to the druids of Negaskite, who are more conservative in their approach to the elementals; they study the ways of all nature instead of the single aspect.
I assume there's a lot of enchantment-counting too? You can carry that across all colors but red fairly easily.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The red one feels kind of underpowered compared to the rest of the cycle. Given the precedent for conditional 3-power multiblock-only red uncommons, I'd say a activation cost for his ability would be fair.
yeah, i made the card long enough ago to look at it when i uploaded it and saw the same thing. i'll bump down the cost.
red already takes a hit in an enchantment environment as it has few methods to deal with enchantments

president obombya speaks anger prejudice and a time for US foreign air strike while the US worries about its rights

Let 'em burn [Frozen Parody]
red already takes a hit in an enchantment environment as it has few methods to deal with enchantments

Red has a hard time dealing with enchantments, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't get enchantments.
Returning Mechanics

Scry

Scrying returns, as what would a bunch of wizards be without the ability to glance into the future. Scry shows up in all colours, but each has its own uses.

Evoke

Harnessing the power of the elementals is what evoke is all about, and thus it makes a return. Evoke also shows up in all colours.
some cards with evoke

(elemental art is pretty hard to get so excuse that)

Part of me is thinking that Enchantment Creatures are annoyingly easy to miss, and it would be really cool if they had a unique visual element to distinguish them.  Artifact Creatures are always very visible, but Enchantments have nothing like the artifact frame to make them stand out.

Not that I'm demanding you to do a new graphic design on top of the set creation or anything  Just something that would be cool if you had the resources of WotC.

Card-wise, I don't really like that you're mixing natural Enchantment Creatures in the same set with a keyword that allows creatures to become enchantments.  I think you should stick to just one or the other, because in a deck that wants to play into the Enchantment theme the ones that are always enchantments just seem obviously superior.  While there is some design space around creatures that can flip between states, I don't think your set really needs them in the kind of quantity that a Keyword demands.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
that is true, a different frame would be nice. i suppose i could use planeshifted (futureshifted frame is the worst thing concievable), since it's not bad, and not too different. something to think about.

also, regarding ascendancy: i can see where you're coming from, but from a flavour perspective being able to toggle states is very important. also, those five cards are the only ascendancy cards in this set.
that is true, a different frame would be nice. i suppose i could use planeshifted (futureshifted frame is the worst thing concievable), since it's not bad, and not too different. something to think about.

also, regarding ascendancy: i can see where you're coming from, but from a flavour perspective being able to toggle states is very important. also, those five cards are the only ascendancy cards in this set.

I think it's good that you're limiting how many cards use Ascendancy, for just the reasons I gave above.  I'm not against having the ability, since it adds a unique twist for those five cards and it can play into the theme in interesting ways.  But keywords should lay out the foundations of the set, and a flavorful cycle like this is just a fun side-show, not something I think you should build other things on top of.  I recommend you keep the ability to turn into enchantments temporarily, but not use a keyword to do so.

Just another thought on these creatures, I wonder what else you have in mind to make them distinct.  I remember back in Future Sight there was some discussion about what made enchantments unique.  Lucent Liminid felt like a disappointment because it lacked an enchantment-like ability, and some people said they would have liked it better if it had some kind of minor field-affecting boost like "Creatures you control have vigilance".  Also the set included cards like Witch's Mist that brought us enchantments with tap abilities, which also felt really weird.  So while enchantments seem to be just a catch-all for colored non-creature permanents, I think there are a lot of hidden expectations of what feels "Enchantment-like" or not.  Could be something to consider.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok

Red has a hard time dealing with enchantments, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't get enchantments.

Green gets creatures, blue gets permanents, red gets enchantments, black gets artifacts (like everybody) and enchantments, white gets...Okay, I don't know what white can't hit, but it's something, I'm sure.

The problem, I suppose, is the order in which colors like certain things versus the order in which they hate certain things. I'll use hybrid mana for a rough tie, and ignore planeswalkers since they can't be a block theme, and every color gets decent 'walker hate.

Creatures
Lands
Artifacts
Enchantments
Instants/Sorceries (Arguably, green likes instants more than black because flash, and white has more combat tricks than any other color, with green having more than black, but still...)

For hate, I've elided some colors because they get no hate of this type to speak of, either countering or removal.

Hate
Creatures
Lands
Artifacts
Enchantments
Instants/Sorceries

So, with a creature set, every color gets something (obviously), but the main "hate" color is the middle one in the "love" set. Lands have the first "love" one also as the second "hate" one. Artifacts leave black with very little to do. Instants and sorceries not only are led by blue, but their answers are all blue. And red gets no love and little hate for enchantments. (Red can't answer them, but it can punish you for playing them.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
New Mechanics
Thaumaturgy

The people of Andorax all strive to be around enchantments in one way or another, and thaumaturgy represents the power it gives them.

Ascendancy

Ascension is the goal of the people of Andorax, and those who reach it become one with the enchantments, able to alter their very state of being. 
Red and Green sometimes hate on BLue Instants

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Favor:

Creatures:
:gwm::urm:
Enchantments:

Artifacts:
:brm:
Lands:
:wbm:
Instants/Sorceries:

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Old Friends Return

Also, have a legendary creature for your troubles. This guy is also part of a cycle.

More limited fodder with a side order of mythic dragon

ps i hate embedding images on this forum with a passion.