First EDH Deck - Goblins (Krenko)

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, you're certainly brave for going mono-red on your first deck.  A lot of the direct damage you're running is good, but it'll only carry you so far. Ditch Blaze for Devil's PlayBrowbeat can probably go in favor of Aftershock.  While some of your creatures are scraping the botttom of the goblin barrel, the only suggestion that I'll made is Voracious Dragon, for obvious reasons.  I will say that you need more fliers, and red has no shortage of other dragons.

Also, you need to make your army more formidable, so I suggest permanents that grant all of your creatures big, awesome bonuses: Akroma's Memorial, Eldrazi Monument, Goblin War Drums and Rage Reflection spring to mind. 

Generally speaking though, think bigger.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I made a Krenko deck.  Lots of fun.  I recommend Sulfuric Vortex.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
Well, you're certainly brave for going mono-red on your first deck.  A lot of the direct damage you're running is good, but it'll only carry you so far. Ditch Blaze for Devil's PlayBrowbeat can probably go in favor of Aftershock.  While some of your creatures are scraping the botttom of the goblin barrel, the only suggestion that I'll made is Voracious Dragon, for obvious reasons.  I will say that you need more fliers, and red has no shortage of other dragons.

Also, you need to make your army more formidable, so I suggest permanents that grant all of your creatures big, awesome bonuses: Akroma's Memorial, Eldrazi Monument, Goblin War Drums and Rage Reflection spring to mind. 

Generally speaking though, think bigger.

Thanks for the tips. I pretty much had to scrape this deck together with the cards I had. I haven't really ventured out seeking cards specifically for this deck, yet. I'm missing some obvious goblins... Goblin Piledriver, Goblin Sharpshooter, etc...

I also forgot to add the lands!!! Edited original decklist.

My son's first EDH was a Krenko build. It's really good, but its "gooditude" is inversely proportional to the number of players in the game. More players = more sweepers, more ways to hose Krenko. One of the best things you can do is include as  many ways as possible to grant your creatures haste.

Some other really powerful cards in my son's deck:
[C]Shared Animosity[/C]
[C]Curse of Stalked Prey[/C]
[C]Breath of Fury[/C] 
[C]Pandemonium[/C]
[C]Burn at the Stake[/C]

Another thing we've found with his deck is that it runs out of gas really quickly, so we've tried to ameliorate that a bit by including some ways to draw extra cards. Not exactly easy to do in mono-red, so we've resorted to including a lot of card-drawing artifacts such as:

[C]Urza's Blueprints[/C]
[C]Phyrexian Vault[/C]
[C]Jayemdae Tome[/C]
[C]Dreamstone Hedron[/C]

My son's first EDH was a Krenko build. It's really good, but its "gooditude" is inversely proportional to the number of players in the game. More players = more sweepers, more ways to hose Krenko. One of the best things you can do is include as  many ways as possible to grant your creatures haste.

[C]Shared Animosity[/C]
[C]Breath of Fury[/C] 
[C]Pandemonium[/C]
[C]Burn at the Stake[/C]

Another thing we've found with his deck is that it runs out of gas really quickly, so we've tried to ameliorate that a bit by including some ways to draw extra cards. Not exactly easy to do in mono-red, so we've resorted to including a lot of card-drawing artifacts such as:

[C]Urza's Blueprints[/C]
[C]Phyrexian Vault[/C]
[C]Jayemdae Tome[/C]
[C]Dreamstone Hedron[/C]

On the same
Slate of Ancestry
Skullclamp
Grafted Skullcap
Mimic Vat

Since you're going Mono-Red (I personally prefer Wort, Boggart Auntie for recursion):
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle

Also, Door of Destinies/Coat of Arms for buffing your goblins
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Lightning Crafter + Goblin Bombardment = infinte damage (Clone the LC, Championing Kiki, Tap for 3 damage to someone since the copy gets haste, sac the copy to unchampion kiki (who comes back into play untapped), rinse, repeat
You could also combo kiki with other things with Thornbite Staff and the Goblin Bombardment or any other saccer (Goblin Sledder, Skirk Prospector, Goblin Chirugeon), but that's why hes a $20 card...

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

[C]Shared Animosity[/C]
[C]Breath of Fury[/C] 
[C]Pandemonium[/C]
[C]Burn at the Stake[/C]

[C]Urza's Blueprints[/C]
[C]Phyrexian Vault[/C]
[C]Jayemdae Tome[/C]
[C]Dreamstone Hedron[/C]

Those are some sweet enchantments that I'll definitely look into. I was looking for something to give the deck a little oomph and I think this will fit perfectly.

As far as card draw goes, how do you feel about Faithless Looting or Wild Guess.

Or what about (card draw):

Winds of Change
Burning Inquiry
Reforge the Soul 
Fiery Gambit
Starstorm
Wheel of Fortune

Also I've considered Staff of Nin

I'd leave out the Gambit. Yes, it can be a huge amount of card advantage, but It's not garrenteed draw, which is what you want it to do. I'd include the Staff though. It's a bit costly, but always consistant. After 3 Turns of it on the board, it's paid for itself.
Mind's Eye
Seer's Sundial
Staff of Nin
Those are my go-to's for artfact card drawing. When all my copies of those are taken in other decks, it's down to things like Jayemdae Tome, Tower of Fortune and Farsight Mask. A last resort, unless I'm specifically running group hug or Mill, is the Howling Mine, Temple Bell, and Font of Mythos trio.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

As far as card draw goes, how do you feel about Faithless Looting or Wild Guess.

Well, [C]Faithless Looting[/C] isn't draw, it's looting... you're either replacing existing cards in your hand with different ones, or just straight up milling yourself with it. [C]Wild Guess[/C] at least nets you one card, but it's not really a solution to the whole "runs out of gas" problem since you have to have a card to get a card. 

I was thinking I could use them for late game to ditch lands or something if I didn't need them.
I forgot a few things.

For abusing Krenko's ability: Rings of Brighthearth, Puppet Strings
General awesomeness: Shared Animosity, Mob Mentality, Insurrection

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I also have Mob Justice, and Dogpile in my Krenko.  Both can usually deal lethal if you can keep Krenko out a few turns.
Chancellor of the Forge can increase your hordes really fast. Goblin Warchief is great, adding another lord to the mix. Coat of Arms should make your guys pack quite the punch.  Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots are great for Krenko. Voracious Dragon has nice synergy.

You should probably run some board wipes of your own, as you won't always have creatures.  Blasphemous Act is probably red's best sweeper.  Starstorm, Mizzium Mortars, Earthquake, and Chain Reaction can all get the job done if needed as well.

Red doesn't get much for card draw, but it does have wheel effects.  Reforge the Soul, Wheel of Fate, and of course Wheel of Fortune itself.
Also, think changelings.

Coat of Arms is good for a goblin deck.

I usually use Krenko and his goblins with Kresh the Bloodbraided. You can also use them with Wort, the Raidmother.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Something else to consider: Krenko + Skirk Prospector + 4 other goblins + Aggravated Assault = Infinite tokens (before you start doing it, though, I would recommened having a haste outlet or something like Goblin Sharpshooter or Boggart Shenanigans in play so you can win that turn or risk a board wipe before you can push it home.

I am White/Green
I am White/Green

I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

My Current EDH Decks: Rhys the Redeemed Token Elves | Wort, Boggart Auntie R/B Goblins | Brion Stoutarm | Rakdos, Lord of Riots | Tajic, Weapon with Mass Destruction | Jor-Kadeen the Prevailer | Melek, Izzet Paragon | Heliod Enchantments | Prossh Tokens and Sac | Captain Sisay Legendary Toolbox Beatdown | Marath Beast Tribal | Marath Token Combos | Horde of Notions Elemental Tribal | Zirilian Mono Red Dragon Tribal

Yes... I have 14 built decks used regularly, including 3 Boros Colored Decks. Don't judge me. =P

Sign In to post comments