need some deciding on a class

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
HI, now before I start let me say this. My new dm is a bit of a dick when it comes to his campaign (it's linear and he loces making us role for uneeded things) so in this campaign I want to make the most op offencive build I can that is still book legal ( he uses all the books) and Ineed your guyses help making one. Now I'd like to role a mage but I don't mind any other role (2 chars are making op tanks so I got def and we got a healer and all the other positions coverd just I'm the offence of the party when it comes to raw damage a turn)
What edition?

If you're playing 3e, make a druid.  It's the most powerful thing in the game.  Your animal companion will probably outshine those 'tanks' you speak of.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
What are you interested in playing. If you can't provide more direction than that, the best answers you are going to get is druid 20 with natural spell. Those choices alone are more powerful than the vast majority of builds, so its an easy response. If you put more effort into directing us, you will probably get a better end result. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

For 3.5
I'm looking for just a greay damage output. Something that can kill bosses easily. Mage preferbly and I'm not to picky on what it is. I heard warlocks were one of the best to build off of. But want to see if the comunity knew of some op multiclass builds
Best advice I've got is don't play with a GM who's playstyle you don't like. Punishing them by playing a character that's absurd is not going to make them a better GM. D&D is cooperative, not competative, as is any good role play.

That said, if you insist on doing this you're going to need to provide more info.

Starting level, setting, ability score generation, special house rules if any. 
Starting level 1 so I'd build into it. And though he may be a dick it's still fun. No house rules
Anilitu score would depend on the class
Ability*
The question was "how do you generate ability scores?" Is it die roll or point buy? If die roll, what is the method? 3d6 straight down, 4d6 drop the lowest, etc. if point buy, how many points? We generally see 25, w28, or 32, but there are always other possibilities.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
As draco notes what class you are should change how you generate ability scores.  It may affect your priorities but it shouldn't alter how they are generated.  I believe in using Point Buy with 28 points which is just a little better then the standard array's 15,14,13,12,10,8 = PB 25.  Some people use rolling methods that produce INSANE stat arrays; I've heard thing like roll 4d6 seven times, reroll all ones and twoes, then use the six best scores.
32 pb is how
Sorry for the lateness I was cleaning. And was waiting on his response
Everyones going for psionic classes now. Psionic rogue and warrior so far...so what can do more damage then these? That I can build
Am thinking of going for the class binder from tome of magic. Any ways of making this class even stronger?
You really need to make up your mind, dood. If you want high damage, use the Mailman, Nuker, or #1 Snoipah. If you want versatility, go wizard. If you want to break the game, go CoDzilla. If you want to do a variety of these at once, use a Theurge. Mystic Theurge, psychic Theurge, cerebremancer, arcane hierophant, ultimate magus, jade Phoenix Mage, ruby knight vindicator... The list is pretty much endless,
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Lol I'm sorry. Just when I wait I tend to look into more classes and builds
Can I get a link for mailman, nuker, psychic theurge and cerebremancer please. I rememmber liking nuker
The #1 Snoipah, The Nuker, The Mailman

Those are all variants on the same theme, a mage that blasts the crap out of people and that's their thing.

The two psionic PRC's you mention can be found on the SRD. I'm not certain of any archived builds that really make fantastic use of them.
Ya I get ya. Mages are mages sometimes.
Most of the "best" mages don't blast. In fact a large portion of the local crowd would likely agree that most of the more useful Wizards do not actually deal any damage to win fights.

That said, these are builds that do their best to keep pace with high damage melee builds, and can provide utility as well.  More than that, they can usually create circumstances that allow them to best mundane attackers by outpositioning or being neigh undetectible in some cases.
Ya I noticed, kinda figured attacking would be all that useful since combat is sometimes only 10% or less of a campaign. Well eith that being sad ik sorry for asking such a ridiculous question. But I will lool into those classes.
Omg small keypads suck! With* I'm* and look*

Slow down your post rate a little. Its a forum.

I'm looking for just a greay damage output. Something that can kill bosses easily. Mage preferbly and I'm not to picky on what it is. I heard warlocks were one of the best to build off of. But want to see if the comunity knew of some op multiclass builds

• A mage should generally never multiclass. Thats one of the first rules of optimizing them.

• Warlock is generally considered a low power arcane class.

• Blasting is generally considered a bad tactic.

If you want to blast, I'd point you to something like a sorcerer 20 (prestige class as much as possible without missing caster levels), who takes 1 evocation spell known at most each level. Does shooting fireballs sound like something that is appealing to you? 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Sorcerer is by far better for blasting then wizard for one. They have Arcane Fusion (and the greater version), as well as the ability to apply metamagic on the fly. Also wings of flurry is probably one of the best area blasting spells there are, considering you can daze lock large groups of enemies, or just outright kill them with your uncapped force damage.
Ok I'm loving the god mage build. Any good ones? I like. Being the buffer andor debuffer of the party.
I'm a big fan of choosing divination as your wizard specialization. Give up evocation, gain an extra divination spell at the beginning of the day for each slot. Use your extra divinations to figure out what you're going to fight that day. Prepare the rest of your spells accordingly. Get everything you'd want out of Evocation from Conjuration and Illusion anyways.
Forcecage is evocation for what that is worth.
Shadow Evocation, Greater can make most people think they're in a force cage, if you really need it. Anyone with the will save to pass the disbelief is probably capable of escape anyway.
Like I said: everything you'd want.