Countering activated abilities

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
In this instance me and my friends were playing a 6 player game when a player cast increasing ambition, followed by my friend who used Uyo, Silent Prophet's ability returning two lands to copy the spell and choose new targets, to which I responded by using a dissipate on the original 'Increasing Ambition'.
My arguement that my friend would still have his lands returned because it was an additional cost of activating the ability.

Also this bring's me to my next question, there's been instances where me and my group have tapped mana to activate an ability, we'll say in this case to equip something to a creature, and I respond by destroying/unsummoning the creature- is that person's mana used up in this attempt?
In this instance me and my friends were playing a 6 player game when a player cast increasing ambition, followed by my friend who used Uyo, Silent Prophet's ability returning two lands to copy the spell and choose new targets, to which I responded by using a dissipate on the original 'Increasing Ambition'.
My arguement that my friend would still have his lands returned because it was an additional cost of activating the ability.

You are correct.  Costs are not undone when a spell or ability is countered.

Also this bring's me to my next question, there's been instances where me and my group have tapped mana to activate an ability, we'll say in this case to equip something to a creature, and I respond by destroying/unsummoning the creature- is that person's mana used up in this attempt?

Yes.  Costs are not refunded.

Sign In to post comments