Commander House Rules to Speed up Play?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone have any house rules or EDH variant which can make games go faster? EDH games in my play group have become somewhat tedious at times as it often takes 2+ hours to play, often with 1 or more players simply waiting for half an hour or more after being eliminated or being essentially locked out of the game.

Does any one have any ideas which can speed up games?
There are so many house rules you could put up just depends on how you want to alter the format. For example you could have a free rampant growth effect every so many turns (basics only). However you have to look at what the house rule will do to change decks and how/can people use it to their advantage. For example If I put a rule in play that says every 3 turns you get one free rampant growth you'd be your ass I'd have more basics in my deck. Can't have people rampanting for non-basics (combo pieces after all) like Academy Ruins when they have a Mindslaver in hand.

So what speeds up a game of magic in real play?

Card acceleration

Mana ramp

Life loss/Damage

Bigger creatures

Milling

etc

There are those planeswalk cards (not planeswalkers) that have different effects that affect the game in various ways you can look into. 
We tend to gang up on the slow players, there was one guy that took at least 3-5 minutes like every turn after turn 3-4 so I just started attacking him every turn and told him why I was, others followed suit, he now takes turns with haste.

if you have too many peple in 1 game that is a mojor drag, 6 is the absolute top I'd play with in a group, or else you might as well bring a book to the game with you. We tend to break up into groups of 4-5 most the time. 

<----- Loser.

I'd say 3-4 players is the optimal spot. 5 it starts to bog down, 6 is just a nightmare.

And yeah, there's pretty much no reason to take several minutes for a turn, since you've had the time on other people's turns to think through what you want to do.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Searching your library ends your turn.
If you play for victory points (instead of "last man standing wins"), you can deduct penalties for slow play or excessively long turns.
timed turns....get one of those sand timers from boggle or something like that.
Playing large group games with different kill condition variants is a good way to change the pace of games.  When we play 5-player games we use role cards from the game Bang! to kill players.

In Bang! you have a sheriff, a deputy, 2 outlaws and a renegade and the outlaws are in it to kill the sheriff, the sheriff/deputy are in it to kill the outlaws, and the renegade is there to kill everyone, leaving the sheriff for last.  By having small teams you can quickly speed up games after the roles are figured out (they start out hidden except for the sheriff).
Searching library at end of turn, as others have said. In the case of instant speed tutors like Vampiric Tutor we usually process it during someone else's turn but announce that it's going to happen just before your turn.

At the beginning of games when there isn't much action we have the "I lay a land and say go" rule, where we will skip someone who has to shuffle extra or is going slow and they get to make up their turns (unless something is played that warrants waiting for responses or the player needs to be a part of). We usually do this for the first two or three turns.
One house rule at my LGS is 'if your lips are flappin', your cards are playin''.  Basically, chat while waiting for your turn, but if you can't multitask, don't launch into a story on your turn and hold up the game.
One house rule at my LGS is 'if your lips are flappin', your cards are playin''.  Basically, chat while waiting for your turn, but if you can't multitask, don't launch into a story on your turn and hold up the game.

I really hate it when peole want to yak their turn away, or better yet, trading while in a game.

@ OP, Try speed Magic.  Drop all lands in hand, draw to seven cards per turn.

STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
I really hate it when peole want to yak their turn away, or better yet, trading while in a game.

OMG, MAXIMUM RAGE!  My biggest peeve ever, honestly.  Especially since the only day we can get a decent number of EDH players together is a day when the store's only open for 5 hours...and we're ALL aware of how long a game can last(let alone a good, close game!).
Sign In to post comments