Banding

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Odd one, but I decided I'd troll my friends by piecing together a banding casual deck. 

How does this ability work with other abilities such as flying, first strike, trample, etc. Do they all fly, strike first, trample, etc?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

702.20g. Banding doesn't cause attacking creatures to share abilities, nor does it remove any abilities. The attacking creatures in a band are separate permanents.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

So if I band a non-flier and a flier together when attacking, can the band be blocked by a creature without flying/reach?

So if I band a non-flier and a flier together when attacking, can the band be blocked by a creature without flying/reach?

Yes. Blocking any one creature in the band blocks the entire band. Evasion abilities and protections are not shared across members of the band.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Interesting. This is gonna be an interesting deck at least.

To add on a bit.  The band still retains it's abilities if ever member of the band has them.  So, if two creatures both having flying/banding and you band them on the attack, then the band is considered to have flying.
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.
To add on a bit.  The band still retains it's abilities if ever member of the band has them.  So, if two creatures both having flying/banding and you band them on the attack, then the band is considered to have flying.

No. That's completely wrong. Read my first post above.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

A band doesn't "have" abilities, it's just a group of creatures. Each creature on the band has flying, so the band is harder to block, but it's still down to being able to block a single attacker on the band is blocking the whole band.

[<o>]
Take, for example, the case of Knights of Thorn attacking in a band with Mesa Pegasus. If the only creature the defending player controls is a Fire Elemental, the attacking creatures will go through unblocked. The Elemental can't block the Knights because of the protection from red and can't block the Pegasus because of the flying.

If you think about it in terms of the band as a whole having or not having an evasion ability, you'll get the wrong conclusion.
Banding for Dummies

A) Declare Attackers Step: do you wish to form Band(s)?
   -No: proceed to B)
   -Yes: announce Band(s) of attackers
        (any one Band will include at least one Banding creature and may include at most* one non-Banding creature)
        (any one creature may be part of at most one Band)

B) Announce your attacking creatures (banded & loners)

C) Declare Blockers Step: opponent declares blockers
        (as soon as a creature legally blocks one member of a Band, each other creature of that Band is considered blocked by that single creature, even if those blocks would be illegal)

D) Players announce their respective Damage Assignment Order

E) Combat Damage Step: does any creature HAVE the Banding ability, now? (eh! they may have lost it!)
   -No: process Combat Damage Step as normal
   -Yes:
     -Attacking player announces how each attacking creature assigns its combat damage, except for those creatures blocked by Banding blockers
     -Defending player announces how each attacking creature blocked-by-a-blocker-which-have-Banding-now assigns its combat damage, if any
     -Attacking player announces how each blocking creature blocking-an-attacker-which-have-Banding-now assigns its combat damage, if any
     -Defending player announces how each remaining blocking creature assigns its combat damage

(when assigning their Combat Damage, creatures with Banding may disregard Damage Assignment Order)

Et voilà!

*Bands with other FOOs allows a Band to include of any number of non-Banding FOOs.

I think that, as far as «regular» Banding creatures are concerned, Bands with other FOOs creatures are not considered to have Banding.

For example, I believe one could not form a band with the following creatures:
Benalish Hero
Gallowbraid
Griselbrand
while controlling Unholy Citadel.

Anyone can confirm?

That's right. Those three couldn't band together:
702.20c. As a player declares attackers, he or she may declare that one or more attacking creatures with banding and up to one attacking creature without banding (even if it has "bands with other") are all in a "band." He or she may also declare that one or more attacking [quality] creatures with "bands with other [quality]" and any number of other attacking [quality] creatures are all in a band. A player may declare as many attacking bands as he or she wants, but each creature may be a member of only one of them. (Defending players can't declare bands but may use banding in a different way; see rule 702.20j.)

B) Announce your attacking creatures (banded & loners)

Keeping in mind that each creature in a Band must attack the same player or planeswalker, and that a single creature can't be the member of multiple Bands.

C) Declare Blockers Step: opponent declares blockers
        (as soon as a creature legally blocks one member of a Band, each other creature of that Band is considered blocked by that single creature, even if those blocks would be illegal)

(as soon as a member of a Band becomes blocked as a result of an effect, each other creature of that Band becomes blocked.)