Tapping

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So if you wanted to tap a creature in order to keep it from attacking what is the last possible moment to do so?  My group and I were under the impression that you had to do it before combat began due to creatures tapping when declared attackers.. are we wrong?
So if you wanted to tap a creature in order to keep it from attacking what is the last possible moment to do so?  My group and I were under the impression that you had to do it before combat began due to creatures tapping when declared attackers.. are we wrong?

You do need to do it before attackers are declared, but you can do it in the Beginning of Combat step which happens before attackers are declared in the Declare Attackers step.

The last chance to do this is the Beginning of Combat step.

Attackers are declared immediately after that, at the very beginning of the Declare Attackers step, and are tapped immediately upon this declaration, which can't be responded to; tapping them after that won't stop them attacking.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
So we were indeed correct then.. sweet.. thank you

Not quite.  You can do it after combat begins, but before attackers are declared.

No. The Beginning of Combat step is part of the Combat phase. This should not come as a surprise since it's right in the name. "Before combat" would mean having to do it while it's still the main phase. (And the difference matters - if you do this during the Beginning of Combat step, the attacking player can't play, say, a sorcery or another creature after you use your tapping effect. If you do it during the main phase, he can.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011