Questions about Lifelink, Trample, Soul Bound, and Totem Armor

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay so I have several questions here and I was thinking that instead of spamming the forums with 4-5 new threads I'd just put them all into one.. so here we go

1) Lifelink: Okay so you have a creature with lifelink dealing damage to another creature (no trample).. say the attacking creature has a power of 8 and the defending creature a toughness of 5.. would the controller of the attacking creature gain 5 link as that was all it had in toughness and the rest is just wasted or would the player gain the full 8 as that is what the attacking creature can actually deal out?

2) Trample and Plainswalkers: So say a player gets hit by a creature with trample.. as I understand it the player that controls the attacking creature can choose to have the damage done to a plainswalker that the defending player controls.. if that damage kills the plainswalker can any remaining damage be done to the defending player?

3) Soulbound: So this is a 2 parter.. A) Can a creature with Soul Bound (ie Deadeye Navigator.. he's coming up in a sec) be bound with more than one creature or is it one at a time.. the actual written mechanic doesnt specify.. and B) with Deadeye Navigator's ability.. how would that work with combat.. would it remove the creature from combat entirely and save it from damage or can it not be used in combat at all.. I'd like to be able to use the exile ability to have a creature block and then pop out to not take damage.. can this be done?

4) Totem Armor: Would totem armor protect a creature from having its toughness reduced to zero such as with -1/-1 counters?  It will protect against destroy effects but I don't think it would work against counters as they do not actually destory the creature they simply reduce the toughness to zero and then (as I understand it) the controller has to sacrifice it.. I may be wrong

So that's all I've got today and thanks to anyone that answers any of these

Austin 
Okay so I have several questions here and I was thinking that instead of spamming the forums with 4-5 new threads I'd just put them all into one.. so here we go

1) Lifelink: Okay so you have a creature with lifelink dealing damage to another creature (no trample).. say the attacking creature has a power of 8 and the defending creature a toughness of 5.. would the controller of the attacking creature gain 5 link as that was all it had in toughness and the rest is just wasted or would the player gain the full 8 as that is what the attacking creature can actually deal out?

Creatures deal damage equal to their power.  if you attack with an 8 power creature it will deal 8 damage to the blocker and you will gain 8 life.

2) Trample and Plainswalkers: So say a player gets hit by a creature with trample.. as I understand it the player that controls the attacking creature can choose to have the damage done to a plainswalker that the defending player controls.. if that damage kills the plainswalker can any remaining damage be done to the defending player?

No.  You can attack either the player or the planeswalker, and you need to say what you're attacking when you declare attackers.  The planeswalker is not blocking for the player, so trample doesn't come into play.

3) Soulbound: So this is a 2 parter.. A) Can a creature with Soul Bound (ie Deadeye Navigator.. he's coming up in a sec) be bound with more than one creature or is it one at a time.. the actual written mechanic doesnt specify.. and B) with Deadeye Navigator's ability.. how would that work with combat.. would it remove the creature from combat entirely and save it from damage or can it not be used in combat at all.. I'd like to be able to use the exile ability to have a creature block and then pop out to not take damage.. can this be done?

You can only soulbond to one creature at a time.  Yes, you can use it during combat.  If you exile a blocking creature, the attacker is still blocked and no damage is dealt to or dealt by the blocker, which is now removed from combat.

4) Totem Armor: Would totem armor protect a creature from having its toughness reduced to zero such as with -1/-1 counters?  It will protect against destroy effects but I don't think it would work against counters as they do not actually destory the creature they simply reduce the toughness to zero and then (as I understand it) the controller has to sacrifice it.. I may be wrong

Reducing toughness to 0 or less does not cause destruction so Totem Armor won't save the creature.

You'll gain 8. It doesn't matter whether you dealt enough damage to kill blockers. All lifelink cares about is the total damage dealt.

Plainswalkers have no special rules attached to them. Perhaps you're thinking of [c=Jace, the Mind Sculptor]Planeswalkers.

You actually choose who your creature is attacking when you declare it as an attacker. If you're attacking a player and he blocks some of the trample damage, the rest has to go to him. If you attack a planeswalker and you can trample through the blockers, the extra damage has to go to the planeswalker.

3) Soulbound: So this is a 2 parter.. A) Can a creature with Soul Bound (ie Deadeye Navigator.. he's coming up in a sec) be bound with more than one creature or is it one at a time. the written mechanic doesn't specify

Technically the rules support it, but it's impossible to actually do that in a game, so no. A bond is between exactly two creatures. Also, the mechanic does specify that you can only pair a creature that's unbonded (which is why you can only ever have 2 in a bond at once with current cards)

B) with Deadeye Navigator's ability.. how would that work with combat.. would it remove the creature from combat entirely and save it from damage or can it not be used in combat at all.

You can activate activated abilities anytime you have priority (which includes all steps in combat). The creature you blink will not be involved in combat (won't deal/take damage, etc).

4) Totem Armor: Would totem armor protect a creature from having its toughness reduced to zero such as with -1/-1 counters?

No. Death from 0 toughness is not destruction. It's also not sacrifice.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Sweet.. got all I needed.. thanks guys
Technically the rules support it, but it's impossible to actually do that in a game, so no. A bond is between exactly two creatures. Also, the mechanic does specify that you can only pair a creature that's unbonded (which is why you can only ever have 2 in a bond at once with current cards)

There is no technicality. It is just impossible. The way soulbond works makes it impossible, and they made a rule that spells it out so there would be no confusion.
702.93d. A creature can be paired with only one other creature.

B) with Deadeye Navigator's ability.. how would that work with combat.. would it remove the creature from combat entirely and save it from damage or can it not be used in combat at all.. I'd like to be able to use the exile ability to have a creature block and then pop out to not take damage.. can this be done?

If the attacking creature has trample and there are no creatures blocking it in the combat damage step it will deal all of it's damage to you.

Cheers