Tapping blocking and attacking creatues?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, this has confused me forever. Let's say I have a Grove of the Guardian up, with 4 more mana and an Arbor Elf. My opponent attack with a Loxodon Smiter, can I block with my arbor elf, then tap him, 2 another creatures and my 4 mana to get my Elemental monster? Would his 4 damage still hit me? What if he had trample?
 If my opponent taps a creature to attack, and I crippling chill it to tap it first, would it still attack? My chill would resolve first, right?
 What if I sacrifice a creature after I declare it as a blocker, would my opponents damage still go through? Would his attacking creature be hurt by my sacrificed creatures power? What if his creature had trample?

Thanks! 
Okay, this has confused me forever. Let's say I have a Grove of the Guardian up, with 4 more mana and an Arbor Elf. My opponent attack with a Loxodon Smiter, can I block with my arbor elf, then tap him, 2 another creatures and my 4 mana to get my Elemental monster? Would his 4 damage still hit me? What if he had trample?

Yes you can do that. You get priority during the declare blockers step to activate abilities. Arbor Elf is not removed from combat. It will do 1 damage to Loxodon Smiter, and Loxodon Smiter will do 4 damage to Arbor Elf. if Loxodon Smiter had trample, your opponent could assign 1 damage to Arbor Elf and 3 damage to you.
Becoming tapped or untapped does not remove a creature from combat unless the effect that does so says otherwise.

For example, Maze of Ith untaps an attacking creature and prevents all combat damage dealt by and to it, but does not actually remove it from combat, so it can still be removed with a Condemn.

So, in this case, yes, you can assign your Arbor Elf as a blocker, than tap it for its ability. This is completely legit and does not have any effect on its performance in combat.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

If my opponent taps a creature to attack, and I Crippling Chill it to tap it first, would it still attack? My chill would resolve first, right?

You cannot respond to the turn based action of declaring attackers. If you wait until the declare attackers step, casting Crippling Chill will not remove the attacking creatures from combat. The latest you can use Crippling Chill to prevent creatures from attacking is during the beginning of combat step, which is before attackers have been declared.
What if I sacrifice a creature after I declare it as a blocker, would my opponents damage still go through? Would his attacking creature be hurt by my sacrificed creatures power? What if his creature had trample?

Once a creature becomes blocked, it remains blocked even if all the blocking creatures are removed from combat. Your opponent's creature does not deal damage. Your creature does not deal damage, because it is not on the battlefield.

If your opponent's creature had trample, it would deal damage to you.
If my opponent taps a creature to attack, and I Crippling Chill it to tap it first, would it still attack? My chill would resolve first, right?

You cannot respond to the turn based action of declaring attackers. If you wait until the declare attackers step, casting Crippling Chill will not remove the attacking creatures from combat. The latest you can use Crippling Chill to prevent creatures from attacking is during the beginning of combat step, which is before attackers have been declared.

Do note, however, that your opponent is required to give you that opportunity. So if your opponent, say, drops a land and then immediately starts swinging his creatures towards you, you are within your rights to ask him to back up and give you the opportunity to tap some (or all) of them down.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman