Need Advice for Editing the "Return to Ravnica" Golgari Event Deck

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey,
I've just started playing MTG within the past couple of weeks, and I've been slowly trying to morph the Golgari Event deck into either something that can survive into late-game (which is what the deck depends on) or start to mold for more of a mid-game deck. I'm looking for suggestions of what to add/drop to the deck in order to achieve this.

Notable cards I've picked up or drawn that might help are
x2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (Return to Ravnica)
x2 Corpsejack Menace
x1 Deathrite Shaman
x1 Death's Prescence
x1 Jarad's Orders
x2 Treasure Find
x1 Rites of Reaping
x1 Golgari Decoy

This is a link for the event deck list (Creep and Conquer Deck)
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

Thank you!

P. S. I'm also looking on starting to make another deck soon, if anyone has suggestions. A R/Bl deck sounds like fun.
If you haven't already done so thragtusk should be placed in the main deck in place of druid's familiar. deathrite shaman is good and maybe 1 Jarad should go into the decklist but I wouldn't try to include the other cards until you've got more experience and want to take the decklist in a particular direction (faster, slower, more controlling, more aggressive etc...).

Currently the deck does what it's designed to do and it doesn't do anything particularly well. When evolving the list for example you might push the corpsejack menace theme to fully utilize the +1+1 counters, or maybe you want to add some reanimation strategy with unburial rites, or maybe you want an aggressive G/B deck with rakdos cackler, gravecrawler and strangleroot geist. Any of these evolutions are possible but IMO to fully evolve in any of those directions it would not look anything like what it currently does and might only utilize 15-40% of the cards currently in the deck.

For now just make small tweaks to the deck and find out what you enjoy playing until you have a clear direction that you want to construct the decklist

Disclaimer: This is my opinion after many threads here and in the casual forums where deck evolution for this particular decklist were filled with people saying opposite things, For example some were saying 4 grisly salvage are important and others were saying don't play any grisly salvage. Some people like slitherhead, I don't think it's particularly great and prefer the acceleration that arbor elf could provide. As good as corpsejack menace, jarad, golgari lich lord and deadbridge goliath are you don't really want to be playing 4x (Twelve 4 mana creatures) of each which is what one player was led to after people tried to evolve his decklist.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I like the idea of +1/+1 counters, but it doesn't seem like a very viable play method (at least without some help) from what I've heard. I went to a FNM to see what would happen with some of the cards I added in to increase playability of the +1/+1 counters. I only ended up winning 2 games, but it was a lot of fun. I heard a lot about trying to add Rancor to the deck, because of it's recycling ability, and someone gave me 4 for free.

Now I'm running those in the deck, with some more lands to fund my crazy mana costs. I went to 4 Slitherheads, 2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lords, 2 Corpsejack Menaces, and Death's Presence. I took out the Druid's Familiar, Trusted Forcemages, Drudge Beetles, and Grim Backwoods, and I also did some rearranging in the sideboard to fit in Rancor.

I also looked at putting some of the other cards from above into the sideboard. The deck seems a little more viable now, but I think it still need to be a little more mid-game focused.
try Vampire Nighthawk
he is a force on his own and an excellent Scavenge target
proud member of the 2011 community team
try Vampire Nighthawk

4 Vampire Nighthawk come with the event deck. If I could get some more Death's Presence and Corpsejack Menace running with Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, more Deadbridge Goliaths, and more Dreg Manglers, that could be a mean team. I feel like it still might not be quick enough for FNM play though.
try Vampire Nighthawk

4 Vampire Nighthawk come with the event deck. If I could get some more Death's Presence and Corpsejack Menace running with Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord, more Deadbridge Goliaths, and more Dreg Manglers, that could be a mean team. I feel like it still might not be quick enough for FNM play though.

Is there anything around the same or lower mana cost of the Vampire Nighthawk that I could use for target cards of +1/+1 counters? I looked at Daggerdome Imps, but they seem too weak to live long enough to stack counters.
maybe Blood Artist
while not a great target itself, it does give your dying creatures more value

Bloodgift Demon would also be a good choice for higher mana, I'd use him instead of Death's Presence which simply costs too much

Wolfir Silverheart is also a great finisher

Champion of Lambholt would also be nice, it fits your counter theme and provides evasion for all your creatures

Deathrite Shaman is a nice sideboard card, maybe even maindeck, for ramp and gy hate

Rakdos Cackler as a possible option if you want to be more aggressive
Champion of Lambholt, Rakdos Cackler, and more Deathrite Shamans all seem like ideas worth looking at. I'm on the fence of whether Bloodgift Demon would be worth adding in, because his mana cost doesn't seem great for what you get in return.

1 Wolfir Silverheart comes with the event deck. Do you think I should add more?
it depends on how your deck looks like by now
I wouldn't use more than 4-8 cards total with CMC 5 or more, to keep it sleak

1 extra card each turn is great, especially if you keep your cards cheap so you can cast both in the same turn
in addition to a 5/4 flier for 5 that is quite a good package
it is a beginner's mistake to undervalue extra cards, I know I failed to see the value of cards like Elvish Visionary when I started out ;)

but it might be better as a sideboard card when you expect the game to go longer
I added a Bloodgift Demon to my sideboard. I was able to trade an Archon of the Triumvirate that I drew in one of my first boosters for one. Good deal?
it's a fair deal, with a slight advantage on your side
but of course since you can actually use the demon but not the archon it is a much better deal than just the monetary value ;)
I added a Bloodgift Demon to my sideboard. I was able to trade an Archon of the Triumvirate that I drew in one of my first boosters for one. Good deal?

Bloodgift Demon sells for about 40 cents at tcgplayer, compared to 20 cents for Archon of the Triumvirate, so you made a 100% margin.

I agree with Enigma: The value in your trade is you now have a card that you can try in your deck.

One way to meet speed is with mana ramping: Arbor Elf and Farseek are your friends. Also, have you replaced the 3x Golgari Guildgate with Overgrown Tomb or Woodland Cemetery? If not, that will also help (although neither is cheap).
I picked up some Arbor Elf in exchange for some Return to Ravnica commons. I also made a trade for 1 Overgrown Tomb in exchange for Temple Garden. What are other can I make this deck better geared for playing against fast top decks (such as Red/Black decks)?
The important thing when facing aggressive R/B decks is that you're hitting your curve and casting efficient creatures. The sideboard really comes into play for the super aggressive matchups. For example lifegain is typically terrible against any opponent but something like gnaw to the bone might be good against a burn deck (not all aggro decks just the ones focused on sending instants and sorceries at your face). Something like trestle troll is probably pretty good against burn also. sever the bloodline is the only card I can think of off the top of my head that a R/B deck could use to get rid of a trestle troll (I'm sure there are other options like tragic slip I just can't think of them which means the majority of the best options are not useful on the troll). With that said I would not play the troll main deck because the defender doesn't add much to your strategy against other matchups (anyone not playing a super aggressive creature deck).

wolfir avenger might be a main deckable card that works well against burn strategies (regeneration is pretty good against burn).
Should I consider Lotleth Troll? It has a low mana cost, low regeneration cost, and could work with a scavenge/Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord mechanic.
Yeah, I don't usually consider the $ cards but lotleth troll is a nice option.
Yeah, I don't usually consider the $ cards but lotleth troll is a nice option.

Also, there is $ and there is $$$. Lotleth is a ~$4 card: Expensive, but not in the same price range as Jace, Architect of Thought or Angel of Serenity.
Ok, here's a second attempt at this deck. A lot of the 1 creatures and Jarad's Orders I was on the fence about removing or what to add instead, so I left them in for now. Let me know which I should remove and which I should get more of (besides those expensive lands...)...."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

67 Cards

Creatures (32)

4 Arbor Elf
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Strangleroot Geist
3 Slitherhead
2 Dreg Mangler
2 Korozda Guildmage
2 Corpsejack Menace
2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Deadbridge Goliath
1 Disciple of Bolas
1 Thragtusk
1 Wolfir Silverheart

Spells (7)

4 Golgari Charm
4 Tragic Slip
1Jarad's Orders

Enchantments (4)

4 Rancor

Lands (22)
2 Woodland Cemetery
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Evolving Wilds
9 Forest
7 Swamp

Sideboard (15)
2 Cremate
3 Vile Rebirth
2 Duress
2 Victim of Night
3 Bramblecrush
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Ultimate Price
cut 7 nonland cards
Would you say something expensive like Jarad's Orders, Wolfir Silverheart, or Thragtusk?
I also think I should add 4 Abrupt Decay in the sideboard instead of Duress and Cremate...
I think jarad's orders can be cut pretty easily. abrupt decay is a good main deck option (better than golgari charm or tragic slip and overlaps with those cards to a certain extent).
I think jarad's orders can be cut pretty easily. abrupt decay is a good main deck option (better than golgari charm or tragic slip and overlaps with those cards to a certain extent).

Should I just stick the tragic slips in the sideboard then?
Here is a nice article about how to construct a sideboard

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

It's difficult to say what the best removal option for the decklist would be and having other options in the sideboard isn't a "bad" decision all the time but have a plan. How does it improve your matchup against aggro decks or control decks etc...

4 arbor elf = $2

4 lotleth troll = $48

4 abrupt decay = $66

1 woodland cemetery = $16.25

2 overgrown tomb = $40

Grand Total = about $172

I added this up using TCG Player's max prices (when it comes to money, I assume the worst). I'm going to try to get this deck moving, but for now, Abrupt Decay is going to be put on the lower end of cards I plan on getting, at least behind Lotleth Troll and Arbor Elf. The deck has some decent removal without it. Quick monsters shouldn't be as much of an issue anymore. Should I still look into anything to handle straightup damage from things like Searing Spear or Bonfire (can't remember full name...)?

Thragtusk is easily the best creature, don't cut that
Strangleroot Geist is great if you want to be agressive, but this is more a midrange deck, so it doesn't fit that good
also Scavenge doesn't play that nice with Undying

Golgari Charm is pretty good against removal, especially mass removal
Thragtusk is easily the best creature, don't cut that
Strangleroot Geist is great if you want to be agressive, but this is more a midrange deck, so it doesn't fit that good
also Scavenge doesn't play that nice with Undying

Golgari Charm is pretty good against removal, especially mass removal

Should I just cut all 4 Strangleroot Geists, 1 Slitherhead, Disciple of Bolas, and Jarad's Orders?
death's presence is terrible take them out. If you want to go the bargain rout and make use of your corpsejack menaces then you should be playing 4 dreg manglers. It's an efficient and aggressive card for the early game and a great scavenge card for the mid to late game.

4x Dreg Mangler
4x Vampire Nighthawk
2x Corpsejack menace
1x Jarad
2x Deathrite Shaman
2x Lotleh Troll (whatever it's name is)
2-3x Grave crawler
1x Deathbridge goliath
4x thragtusk

2x Abrupt decay
1x launch party
2x ultimate price

2x Vraska, the unseen

This is just a start. A cheap way to base a competitive deck
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge

I don't know that 4x Thragtusk could be considered cheap. That's $80-100 just there. Here is a lower budget version:

I don't know that 4x Thragtusk could be considered cheap. That's $80-100 just there. Here is a lower budget version:

I really like this deck idea, at least until I get really in-depth into Magic. It leaves me only needing to get

Vraska the Unseen
2 Lotleth Trolls
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Dreg Manglers
4 Arbor Elfs
1 Deathrite Shaman

I can wait a little on 3 more Woodland Cemetery, and just stick in some basic lands or Golgari Guildgates. I could run a second Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord while waiting on a second Deathrite Shaman, and make Lotleth Trolls a priority. I might sideboard Launch Party for Golgari Charms after I play a few games.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

P. S. Is "TCG Player" a good place to look for cards to buy in terms of dependability and price? Also, what do you think everything listed above will run me?
I really like this deck idea, at least until I get really in-depth into Magic. It leaves me only needing to get

Vraska the Unseen
2 Lotleth Trolls
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Dreg Manglers
4 Arbor Elfs
1 Deathrite Shaman

I can wait a little on 3 more Woodland Cemetery, and just stick in some basic lands or Golgari Guildgates. I could run a second Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord while waiting on a second Deathrite Shaman, and make Lotleth Trolls a priority. I might sideboard Launch Party for Golgari Charms after I play a few games.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

P. S. Is "TCG Player" a good place to look for cards to buy in terms of dependability and price? Also, what do you think everything listed above will run me?

Note that this will probably not be a great deck, but it will be playable, while leaving room for future improvement. You can skip Vraska the Unseen for now, if you want to save more money.

I use tcgplayer extensively: They have a good optimizer feature, that finds the combination of the cheapest sellers for your entire shopping list. Having said that, the more expensive cards can usually be found a bit cheaper on ebay, but we are talking about a difference of a few dollars here and there. There are more scam artists on ebay though, trying to sell repacks and who use keyword spamming to sell tokens. The only time ever that I've had a problem buying cards online was on ebay.

On tcgplayer, the above list, with Vraska, would cost you about $38. Without Vraska, about $27.

It's kind of hard to build a great deck without being able to drop a lot of money at once. At least with this deck list I have a much better idea of what to build later for future plans. Arbor Elfs, Dreg Manglers, and probably Lotleth Trolls I can pick up fairly cheap locally or do some trading for.

Thanks for the advise everyone! Post any more suggestions or ideas if you have them. I'm always looking to further improve this deck, but I finally have a fairly good idea of where it should be heading.
Thanks for the advise everyone! Post any more suggestions or ideas if you have them. I'm always looking to further improve this deck, but I finally have a fairly good idea of where it should be heading.

It's "Golgari Week", so both WotC and several other web sites are running articles on Golgari-themed decks. You can search on "Golgari Week" to find them. One article I enjoyed was this one:

magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=10...

Sign In to post comments