RtR Contest: X-Spell Mythic "Cycle"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rakdos's Return
Sphinx's Revelation
Epic Experiment

What do these spells have in common? None of them are in a cycle.
No seriously. They were all designed independantly of one another, that's why there's not a Golgari or Selesnya x-spell.

WELL WE CAN'T HAVE THAT.
In this contest, I want each of you to design your best x-spells so Jarad and Trostani don't feel left out.
So sad ;-;

CONTEST RULES
1. Your spell must have both of the guild's colors.
2. Your spell must have X in its cost.
3. You can design for either guild or both.

You have 48 hours. Have fun! 
Death's Embrace

Sorcery
Mythic
Exile all non-land permanents with converted mana cost X or less.

War Hydra

Creature-Hydra
Mythic
War Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When War Hydra enters the battlefield, put X +1/+1 counters on each other creature you control.
Reminder to people: X doesn't work in [mc] tags.  Use :xm: instead.

Golgari Uprising

Sorcery

Return X target permanent cards in graveyards to the battlefield under your control.

"You gave us your refuse, your unwanted, your dead.  For these gifts, we thank you." -- Jarad, Lich Lord

Life's Chorus
Instant

You gain X life for each creature you control.

"We sing to the unity of our people, to the glory of the Worldsoul, to the sanctity of life.  Come, join our song." -- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Poisonquill Volley 
Sorcery
Destroy up to X target non-land permanents.

Unflinching Resolve

Instant
Target creature and all creatures you control with the same name get +X/+X and are indestructable until end of turn.
Lich Lord's Feast  X
Sorcery
Exile up to X target creatures from any number of graveyards, then put X +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.
"Only we know the strength this meal provides for the swarm"

Song of Selesnya XX
Sorcery
Put X 2/2 white knight creature tokens with vigilance onto the battlefield, then populate X times.
"When the song is sung, the army grows"
But all those spells are boring. Do our cards need to be boring as well? Plus Izzet card does not fit.

Mycorage
Instant
Each creature in your graveyard gains +X/+X until end of turn.

"Why are you so afraid? It's already dead."
"That's exactly
why I'm afraid. . ."

Anonymous Might
Instant
Target token gets +X/+X permanently.

"It had no name. It came from nowhere. It said nothing. But boy, could it sure wreck."
- Ardir, Ex-Simic

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Trostani's Chant ()()()()
Sorcery
Choose one - Put X 8/8 green and white Elemental creature tokens with vigilance into play; or gain double X life.
"Those at heart with the Trostani know no boundary between life and might."

Mold Blossom
Sorcery
Discard your hand and put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard. Then put up to X cards from your graveyard into your hand.
"From above, so below."

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Savage Serenity
Instant (MR)
Exile X target noncreature, nonland permanents.
"I have heard a thousand voices call for balance and I have silenced them all." - Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

One Foot in the Grave
Instant (MR)
Destroy target creature with converted mana cost X or less.  Search your libary for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield.  Shuffle your library afterwards.
"Where you see death, I see opportunity." - Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
The Great Dredge |
Sorcery
Put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard. For each card put into your graveyard in this way, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield, then put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
"Jarad's will be done. The rites of the dead will breed life anew."

Unite Synchronization |
Sorcery
X target creatures you control get +X/+X and gain trample and lifelink until end of turn.
"The Worldsoul fights as one, but you will die alone." -- Trostani, Slesnya's Voice

Wonder if anyone will get the reference for the Selesnya one (also, don't forget that you need to have X creatures to target, so the pump is limited by the number of creatures you have available as well as the amount of mana in your mana pool).
Pestilent Onslaught |
Sorcery (M)
Creatures you control get +X/+X and gain trample until end of turn.
This turn, if a creature you control would assign combat damage to a player, that player loses that much life instead (even if that damage would have been prevented).
Jarad's brood carried a stench most foul, a touch most bane.

A design note
This works because it says "if a creature [...] would assign" rather than "would deal" -- thus the reminder text is actually accurate as reminder text.

Dang, there's already a couple other "Populate X times: cards.

Vernadi Awakening |
Sorcery (M)
Up to X Forests or Plains you control become X/X Forest Plains Elemental land creatures with vigilance.
Each green or white creature you tap while casting Vernadi Awakening reduces its cost by .
When the need is dire, Mat'Selesnya channels more than merely a voice.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Trade with the Dead -
Sorcery
Discard X cards, then return that many cards from your graveyard to your hand.

Selesnya's Protection -
Enchantment
Tokens with power X or less cannot be removed from play except during the combat damage step.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Dead Rising - :Xm:
Sorcery
If X is 1 or more, reveal cards from the top of your library until X creature cards are revealed. Then, put all cards revealed this way into your graveyard. 
Return a creature with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of creature cards in your graveyard to the battlefield. 
When the graves are overpopulated, some would seek their way out of it.

Whisperer of the Grove - :Xm:
Creature - Elf Shaman
When ~ enters the battlefield, put a X/X green and white Elemental creature token with Hexproof and Trample onto the battlefield.
, : Target creature token becomes indestructible until end of turn.
2/2
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Spore Rot-
Instant
Put X -1/-1 counters divided amongst any number of target creatures.
Put X 1/1 Green Saproling creatures into play.

Orderly Demise |
Sorcery
Each player sacrifices X creatures. Then you may put up to X creature cards from your graveyard on top of your library.
The Golgari catacombs aren't structured so much as crypts as accomodation.

I like this, but don't think it's mythic, and doesn't need the green, so I might replace. Especially now I've told everyone what's wrong with it.

Oh, I love modal spells.

Trostani's Guidance |
Instant
Choose X - Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn; target creature gains trample until end of turn; target creature gains vigilance until end of turn; target creature gains lifelink until end of turn; and / or target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn.
good utility

applied fore a job at wizards 7-14-2014

hasbro didn't respond

Plea of the Wordsoul -
Sorcery
Put X 1/1 Saproling creatures onto the battlefield, then put X +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.
Strong divided. Stronger united.

Secrets of Life and Death -
Sorcery
Search your library for X cards and put them into your graveyard, then shuffle your library. For each card put into a graveyard this way, return one card from your graveyard to your hand.
ENTRY PERIOD IS OOOOOOOOOOVERRRRRR

Now we vote.
Here's how I do things.
I split my contests between two votes.
The Judge vote (chosen by the esteemed and handsome me) and the people's vote (you people)

RRRRRRRULES:
  1. Every one can vote for ONE Golgari spell (:b and/or ONE Selesnya spell (:w.
2. You don't have to vote for both.
3. You don't have to have entered to vote.
4. You have two days to vote.
5. You may change your vote any amount of times before the time is up.

You are HEARTILY ENCOURAGED to give constructive criticism to as many entries as you can, especially who you voted for.

GOOD LUCK!
-Morning of the Second Day-
     48 hours remain
too

much

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Golgari Grave-Raid
Sorcery (MR)
Search target player's library for up to X creatures and put them in that player's graveyard. Then, that player shufflers their library.
"None of our fallen go unremembered, none of our foes forgotten or forgiven. The Swarm grows ever stronger with each grave dug." -Jarad, Golgari Lich-Lord

Dryadic Intervention
Instant (MR)
Put 3 green and white X/X Dryad creature tokens onto the battlefield.
"We hear each living being's pleas, that is our curse. We have the power to answer them all, that is our blessing. We are one with the Worldsoul." -Trostani
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Selesnya: Imi.  'Choose X' is too cool. 

I need to think about Golgari a bit more.  There are a lot of good cards but many don't feel very mythic to me.
Actually I'll try to go through and comment on every card, if I can find the time.  That'll be fun. 

For Selesnya: Choose X is super wet. Imi is wet too, and he gets my vote on that as well. Hard design to pull off, but he did it. I was also pretty fond of Glasir's entry.

For Golgari: Dudibus. I really loved GSZ and this is probably even more broken. Although in some ways, less. I dunno. I like your card. It's wet. Here's a vote. Don't spend it all in one place.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Mmmmmkay comments here we gooooooooo.

Golgari
Hairless: Sure, sorcery Pernicious Deed seems pretty good, though while definitely in colour, exiling in Golgari seems pretty anti-synergistic.

Glasir: Doesn't seem green. Good scalability vs things like Rise and Unburial Rites.

Exxile: Vraska gun? Seems like it would just be a Plague Wind variant most of the time, though I guess the option is nice.

ChrisChrossed: Scavenge X things for 1 on everything seems pretty cool, and a good overlap.

pablo: Neat, but effectively useless except as a combo piece. And X spells are a bit feel bad for that, because you need to pump mana in to make your combo good, but you need mana for your other piece(s). Well, except maybe Slitherhead. I still like it.

nukeshooter: Being able to mix and match already in the yard, plus the good stuff from your hand, plus sift your library makes this pretty good. Much more powerful than your Selesnya card anyway. The green overlap is there, though it's not more green than black IMO, so I don't get the cost.

Dudibus: I think this is really good but not mythic.

PhatMatt: Reminds me strongly of Experiment, which I think is cool. I wish it just looked for creature cards though. Otherwise this is just silly. X=4 for 4 5/5's? Oh wait, target creature. Yeah, that's better.

FTK: I don't like the second ability. It pretty much prevents some abilities triggering, but pretty much replaces one thing with a very nearly identical thing to get around damage prevention, which sucks enough.

TsPcFs: Very similar to shooters. Still good.

Confused: Interesting. I like it, though it's tough to get at first glance.

Spyton: Sticky note is sticky note. OK I guess.

Imi: CARD MAKING GOD.

ELC: I get it's powerful, but this costs 6 to Diabolic Tutor.

Golgari vote: I toyed with not voting on this one because a lot of the cards I liked were quite similar, but then I thought that's being a jerk so what the hell right my vote goes to PhatMatt, because I though his scaled best and wasn't just X on X.

Selesnya
Hairless: Seems like overkill. And a bit odd that it doesn't just add counters equal to its power or something given modifications to adding counters etc. Still solid.

Glasir: Ooh, neato. Good overlap and hybrid use, interesting X spell. Pretty win more, but as a card it's neat.

Exxile: Same name is a pretty stock standard 'play me with tokens!' and this card is pretty stock standard.

ChrisChrossed: Bah, I don't really like double X stuff, though this is clearly busted without it. I mean for one more I can Entreat the Angels, and that's much more backbreaking, even if you choose to populate centaurs or rhinos or something.

pablo: Memory issues? I like the block interaction with populate (I think?) but it's not really intuituve.

nukeshooter: Loads of 8/8's or moderate life gain? That's an easy choice. Maybe if it was three or four times X.

Dudibus: I think it's great but not mythic.

PhatMatt: Overrun variant that's fine but straight ahead. For a mythic, I'd prefer 'up to X' otherwise it sucks to be you when you draw this with one guy.

FTK: Yeah, just give it convoke.

TsPcFs: Akward. I like the concept.

Confused: I like it. Especially that it can be a bear.

Imi: I SAID A GOD.

ELC: Lots of dudes. Heaps of power. With no other creatures this is over the curve by the time you hit X=3 (12 power for 6). Yes it's mythic and that helps, but you know me, I'm a jerk about that.

Selesnya vote: Confused.
Golgari: Glasir - scales incredibly well. Goes from a standard, if color-heavy reanimation spell to a suitably mythic reanimation fest without ever feeling unblanced. The lack of acreature restriction helps make it more :G:.
Honourable mentions:

• Dudibus - Crazy effective at artifact/enchantment/walker hate when you need to go all out. The exiling makes it worth it for just one target, but not mythic level worth it.

Selsnya: Confused - Wow. I was worried about the hexproof/ (sorta)indestructible combo but considerin g the amount of mana it takes to make this guy a significant threat it balances out. Great value at any value for X, original and suitably mythic.
Honourable mentions:

• Chriscrossed  - I just love how this card scales. A little scary with all those 8/8 tokens running around today but I guess that's why it's mythic. At least it won't ever kill you that turn like X burn spells.

• Imi - Only one problem with this. It should be "choose up to X", otherwise the spell would fizzle if you payed 6 mana into 6.

I would comment more if I weren't sleepy.

Welcome to the forums Mr.Spyton!
Imi, I can't express enough how much I feel your Choose X card is cool.  Two things though: 1 -- Populate should be a choice, especially given that the name of the card is Trostani's Guidance.  I would think her first order of advice would be, "breed."  2 -- It's hard to tell whether you are intending for picking the same option multiple times.  Else, see TPmanW's comment.

Some other basic comments.  Currently withholding votes while I sleep on it.

Golgari
ELC -- Too costly.  Nice effect.  Drop an X.

Pablo -- It's boss, but it needs to say "creature card."  I love that it interacts with Scavenge so well...but it's mythic, and that kind of narrowness is best suited for rare, imo.

I'm leaning TRPM here.

Selesnya
Confused -- Why does the Elemental creature token have Hexproof and Trample?  This sounds like it should be a Wurm; the Elemental should have Vigilance to fit the Selesnya theme, if anything.  Barring that flavor consistency, this is pretty amazing.  (I think "becomes" should say "is" and the rest of the template should be matched, as well -- super minor feedback on that).

Chris -- Why does it make Knights?  There are no Selesnyan-watermarked Knight cards.  This has the same flavor consistency problems as above.

Thoctar -- I always see you on the F&S forum...where is your flavor text, man?!  Also, the Hydra needs to be 0/0.  It has no P/T right now and the counters will do it no good.

I'm leaning Chris, but for the flavor issue, and Imi but for the mechanical issues.  So I actually have no idea.

Responses to critiques
Golgari -- I felt it "Black-enough" to waive deals damage triggers so that the creatures can perform life loss, which is Black's specialty.  And it's mythic, I'm fine with Mythic cards being game enders; and I'm fine with Black screwing over White like that.

Selesnya -- I can't just put convoke on it.  Convoke is not a keyword in RtR.  That's why it's a throwback.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Good point TP.
Good point TP.

Not originally my point. I did a choose X cycle and that was some feedback I got.
Ya, my golgari card was a bit too independant of RTR.

At first, I was bugged by your evaluation of my G/W card. But if something is at home enough to be "stock", I don't think that's a bad thing. So I'm gonna choose to take it as a compliment.
As much as everyone deserves comments on their cards I just don't have time to do that.  Many quality submissions.

Selesnya - Glasir.  I love this card.  As soon as I saw it I did 2 things...1)  frantically thought of all the decks that I would love to have access to this card and 2) frown at how good life gain has to be in order to actually be considered playable.  Plus it feels Mythic to me.

Golgari - Lobster667. I love this card as well.  It's very "Golgarish" and although it feels like it might not be powerful enough to considered Mythic, I'm not sure I would cost this at rare at its power level.  Can we create a new rarity inbetween rare and mythic?  Heroic?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
wg[/mc]
Instant

"It had no name. It came from nowhere. It said nothing. But boy, could it sure wreck."
- Ardir, Ex-Simic

Just noticed this flavour text, sneaky character use there .
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
Ha ha. Sneaky? I'm glad you noticed.

I wanted to make a card with:

"Damn the Paruns!"
- Railu

But obviously it would be hard to do with a contest where you are making cards for the guilds. Although, on second thought, I could've gone with one that hoses the unguilded.

139359831 wrote:

Golgari

Death's Embrace 
Sorcery

Exile all non-land permanents with converted mana cost X or less.

Well, it's certainly mythic-feeling.  I like the reference to Pernicious Deed.  Not really a fan of 'exile' though; it's not really a thing.  If it were 'destroy' instead I'd be sold.

Golgari Uprising 
Sorcery

Return X target permanent cards in graveyards to the battlefield under your control.

"You gave us your refuse, your unwanted, your dead.  For these gifts, we thank you." -- Jarad, Lich Lord

Easily the best card ever created.  Truly thou art a genius of card design. 

Poisonquill Volley 
Sorcery

Destroy up to X target non-land permanents.

Well, I can't complain that it's not clear exactly what this does.  The effect is a bit ... boring, I guess?  I mean, it's a harder-to-cast-but-more-flexible Dregs of Sorrow without the draw, basically.  The effect is powerful, sure, but I'm not really feeling the card.  Also, wrt the name, poison quills are pretty awesome but I dunno how they kill enchantments.

Lich Lord's Feast  X
Sorcery

Exile up to X target creatures from any number of graveyards, then put X +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.

"Only we know the strength this meal provides for the swarm"

Om nom nom.   Flavorfully (ew) this makes sense I guess, with precedent in Scavenging Ooze and Entrails Feaster so both colors are covered.  It's like most of the Golgari ones so far in that there's so much crap on top of the that it's purely a late-game spell.  Not sure whether that's good or bad or what, just saying.  It's a fine card, but not super-exciting I guess.
Oh, by the way, you can string together a bunch of mana symbols in [mc] tags and they'll all be rendered: [mc]brusque[/mc] --> e, or I guess [mc]wubrg[/mc] --> if you're a normal person.

Mycorage 
Instant

Each creature in your graveyard gains +X/+X until end of turn.

"Why are you so afraid? It's already dead."
"That's exactly why I'm afraid. . ."

Surprise! Pablo does something weird!  This is pretty cool I guess; it's weird in that it synergizes with maybe fifteen cards ever, and with most of those you have to pay for something in addition to this card, so you're not really getting much bang for your mana.  Cool but narrow is what I'm saying.  Like an icicle.

Mold Blossom
Sorcery

Discard your hand and put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard. Then put up to X cards from your graveyard into your hand.

"From above, so below."

A much-better 'draw X cards' for X+3 in not-blue?  Iiiinteresting.  Why is this more green than black?  It could pretty much be mono-black.  Neat.

One Foot in the Grave 
Instant (MR)

Destroy target creature with converted mana cost X or less.  Search your libary for a creature card with converted mana cost X or less and put it onto the battlefield.  Shuffle your library afterwards.

"Where you see death, I see opportunity." - Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

I like this.  The double 'or less' works well, and it's a good pair of effects for :bgm:.  Less sure on flavor; it reads like 'oh you are dead and working for me now' but it plays like 'kill your angel and OH HEY AN ELF SHOWED UP'.

The Great Dredge |
Sorcery

Put the top X cards of your library into your graveyard. For each card put into your graveyard in this way, put a 1/1 green Saproling creature token onto the battlefield, then put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

"Jarad's will be done. The rites of the dead will breed life anew."

Sweet.  I like that this isn't just a 'pay X, get X' like most designs seem to be.  Works well with scavenge and dredge (not that dredge needs it), definitely :bgm:, very nice.

Pestilent Onslaught |
Sorcery (M)
Creatures you control get +X/+X and gain trample until end of turn.

This turn, if a creature you control would assign combat damage to a player, that player loses that much life instead (even if that damage would have been prevented).

Jarad's brood carried a stench most foul, a touch most bane.

'Bane' is a noun. :-(   As an overrun variant this is all right; the second ability is the only black part (which is reflected in the mana cost, cool), but feels like a pretty contrived way to get around prevention effects.  Powerwise it should be fine.  Overall it's not bad, but seems like it'd fit better in the usual rare slot for overrun variants.

Trade with the Dead -
Sorcery

Discard X cards, then return that many cards from your graveyard to your hand.

This is almost Nostalgic Dreams, except way worse because you have to pay .  On the other hand, it doesn't exile itself so you could set up a loop... probably not enough of a benefit.

Dead Rising - :Xm:
Sorcery

If X is 1 or more, reveal cards from the top of your library until X creature cards are revealed. Then, put all cards revealed this way into your graveyard. 
Return a creature with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of creature cards in your graveyard to the battlefield. 

When the graves are overpopulated, some would seek their way out of it.

I like the flexibility here.  It doesn't say where you return the creature card from, but that's obvious so not really a problem.  The second part is really cool; the first is a weird not-Mind Funeral effect that doesn't work super well for me but is kinda neat I guess.  Hm.

Orderly Demise |
Sorcery

Each player sacrifices X creatures. Then you may put up to X creature cards from your graveyard on top of your library.

The Golgari catacombs aren't structured so much as crypts as accomodation.

Not really mythic, and it doesn't need to be green. :P  It's pretty cool though.  'Orderly'?

Spore Rot-
Instant

Put X -1/-1 counters divided amongst any number of target creatures.
Put X 1/1 Green Saproling creatures into play.

Well it is certainly black and also green.  And good.  Wording on the token-maker isn't quite right.  I would complain about it being just "Do [black thing] X times.  Do [green thing] X times." except this is a contest based on, in part, Sphinx's Revelation.  Bah.

Golgari Grave-Raid 
Sorcery (MR)

Search target player's library for up to X creatures and put them in that player's graveyard. Then, that player shufflers their library.

"None of our fallen go unremembered, none of our foes forgotten or forgiven. The Swarm grows ever stronger with each grave dug." -Jarad, Golgari Lich-Lord

I like that this is a black ability with a green twist.  I'm slightly less a fan of how this sort of thing has already been done in pure black.  Good, though.

Runner-up: therealphatmatt, with The Great Dredge
Actual Vote: Dudibus, with One Foot in the Grave

Selesnya

War Hydra 
Creature-Hydra 

War Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When War Hydra enters the battlefield, put X +1/+1 counters on each other creature you control.

So you get an X/X and all you creatures get +X/+X forever.  That seems... really good.  Oh wait, it's Mythic so it won't make Limited players sad.  OK, then, this is cool and I like it.  Does Ravnica have Hydras?  I guess they could be like dragons and just show up ALL THE TIME for NO RAISIN GAH.  Um.  Yeah.

Life's Chorus 
Instant

You gain X life for each creature you control.

"We sing to the unity of our people, to the glory of the Worldsoul, to the sanctity of life.  Come, join our song." -- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

When I said earlier that that one card was the best card ever designed, I was wrong.  This is. 

Unflinching Resolve 
Instant

Target creature and all creatures you control with the same name get +X/+X and are indestructable until end of turn.

This would be slightly cooler if it were 'Echoing [Something]'.  Works well with the swarm-o'-tokens strategy Selesnya's famous for, obv.  Not terribly Mythic but a good card.

Song of Selesnya XX
Sorcery

Put X 2/2 white knight creature tokens with vigilance onto the battlefield, then populate X times.

"When the song is sung, the army grows"

Let's see...
4 mana: 2 2/2s, maybe a 2/2 and a 3/3.
6 mana:  4 2/2s, or two 2/2s and two more copies of whatever token you made on turn five.
8 mana: 6 2/2s, or three 2/2s and three of something giant.  You have eight mana, you've got to have a giant token by now, right?
[ET CETERA]
OK, that seems reasonable; the 4-mana version is pretty strong, and later versions are awesomeness.  Actually now that I look at it Entreat the Angels is more reliable and barely more expensive, so this isn't ridiculous.  Pretty good.  Flavortext is a bit weak.

Anonymous Might 
Instant

- Ardir, Ex-Simic

This is awesome, except for two things.  One, Strength of the Tajuru is pretty much strictly better, and two, this should really use +1/+1 counters.  But the idea and flavor are awesome.  Also, tokens totally have names, they're just usually the same as their creature types.  Which is boring.  Viashino Skeleton, go feel bad.  Now.

Trostani's Chant ()()()()
Sorcery

Choose one - Put X 8/8 green and white Elemental creature tokens with vigilance into play; or gain double X life.
"Those at heart with the Trostani know no boundary between life and might."

This seems like a ridiculously easy choice.  I'll pay six mana... I could get an 8/8 with vigilance, or two life, and the scaling gets worse from there.

Savage Serenity 
Instant (MR)

Exile X target noncreature, nonland permanents.

"I have heard a thousand voices call for balance and I have silenced them all." - Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

At first glance I liked this a lot.  Then I thought about types and how the other permanent types are artifact, enchantment, planeswalker, and that there are much better ways of killing off lots of artifacts and enchantments.  As a planeswalker-killer it's good.  The flavortext doesn't work too well with the noncreature restriction.  

Unite Synchronization |
Sorcery

X target creatures you control get +X/+X and gain trample and lifelink until end of turn.
"The Worldsoul fights as one, but you will die alone." -- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Clever.  The exactly-X requirement works really well here.  Unfortunately, I don't get the reference. -2 points.   (I jest, I jest) 

Vernadi Awakening |
Sorcery (M)

Up to X Forests or Plains you control become X/X Forest Plains Elemental land creatures with vigilance.
Each green or white creature you tap while casting Vernadi Awakening reduces its cost by .

When the need is dire, Mat'Selesnya channels more than merely a voice.

It seems like this could just have Convoke.  I know, I know, not in RtR, but almost-but-not-quite copying the ability bothers me.  Otherwise, this is good, and scales well.

Selesnya's Protection -
Enchantment

Tokens with power X or less cannot be removed from play except during the combat damage step.

Good idea, but slightly awkward.   Something to indicate what X is would be nice so it doesn't get confused four turns down the road.  The ability is pretty cool but annoying to implement cleanly; maybe "Prevent all noncombat damage that would be dealt to token creatures with power X or less"?  Way more restrictive as it doesn't protect from bounce or murder or mutilation, but that just means you can reduce the cost and open up more interesting choices for when to play it. :-)

Whisperer of the Grove - :Xm:
Creature - Elf Shaman

When ~ enters the battlefield, put a X/X green and white Elemental creature token with Hexproof and Trample onto the battlefield.
, : Target creature token becomes indestructible until end of turn.

2/2

Yay, flexibility!  A bear guarding its friend is awesome (even if that's not exactly what's going on here that is how I will think about it).  Very nice.

Trostani's Guidance |
Instant

Choose X - Target creature gains hexproof until end of turn; target creature gains trample until end of turn; target creature gains vigilance until end of turn; target creature gains lifelink until end of turn; and / or target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn.

Holy crap why have they never done a 'Choose X' spell.  That's so cool.  The other parts are good too.  Casting this for X=5 would be fun.  "My creature is now a giant impossible-to-kill TANK OF DOOM".

Plea of the Wordsoul -
Sorcery

Put X 1/1 Saproling creatures onto the battlefield, then put X +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.

Strong divided. Stronger united.

It amuses me that these same abilities both showed up in the Golgari part.  Which I guess says that this is pretty much mono-green.  The mana cost reflects this to a degree, but those really are both just green abilities.  

Secrets of Life and Death -
Sorcery
Search your library for X cards and put them into your graveyard, then shuffle your library. For each card put into a graveyard this way, return one card from your graveyard to your hand.

It seems like you'd need to pay at least eight mana to not feel bad about that card.  That makes me feel bad about the card.  It's a cool idea, but needs to cost less or scale better to be worth it.

Dryadic Intervention 
Instant (MR)

Put 3 green and white X/X Dryad creature tokens onto the battlefield.

"We hear each living being's pleas, that is our curse. We have the power to answer them all, that is our blessing. We are one with the Worldsoul." -Trostani

Giant Dryads!  This is not bad.  Not ridiculously exciting though.  Damn you Sphinx's Revelation for making these complaints irrelevant.  Damn you.

Runner-up: ConfusedAsUsual with Whisperer Of The Grove
Actual Vote: Imidazoline with Trostani's Guidance

Critiquing is fun.  Maybe I should say more good things, but then again... 

Sorry I'm so incredibly late with this, work took a left turn and bonkers and never came back

JUDGE'S VOTE
Selesnya
Life's Chorus-A bit simple, but the amount of life you can gain probably justifies this as a mythic.
Unflinching Resolve-Kind of dull. It places nice with tokens to be sure, but I feel like the benefits should be permanent (counters) or apply to all of my creatures. 
Song of Selesnya-Now THAT'S a mythic x-spell. Love it.
Anonymous Might-It took me a minute to figure out what this was doing. It would be kind of a pain in the butt to track this and players would likely use counters as a reminder of the buff, but its a distinctly new vein of design space that complements the guild mechanic nicely. I'd prefer if it worked on any creature though.
Trostani's Chant-One of these modes is better than the other...
Savage Serenity-A super-scaling Naturalize. Useful for sure but a bit dull for a splashy X-mythic 
Unite Synchronization-At X=3, this kicks the crap out of Overrun. I can dig it.
 Verdani Awakening-I'm a bit uncomfortable with this basically being Convoke without saying so, but I'm weird like that. A fine effect.
Selesnya's Protection-A neat trick, but seems like it would be a pain in the butt to implement properly. I'm really not sure if something like this works as written in the rules.
Whisperer of the Grove-What. A. Beating. Love it.
Trostani's Guidance-Imi, stop being so clever.
Plea of the Worldsoul-You got chocolate in my peanut butter! I love it! 

Golgari 
Golgari Uprising-Yeowza. At 5 mana, this is more efficient than a lot of reanimation spells. Definitely something players would get excited for.
Poisonquill Volley-Folks, just because Vindicate is a thing doesn't mean that has a monopoly on destroy target permanent, is allowed to do it too.
Lich Lord's Feast-The way R&D treats graveyard hate, this could probably cost less than it does. I do appreciate trying to work graveyard hate into other utility effects though.
Mycorage-Not liking this much. I get what iots trying to do with Scavenge, but to get benefit from it I have to pay X on top of whatever the scavenge cost is. I feel like this effect would be better off as an anthem effect that also boosts your graveyard.
Mold Blossom-Generally speaking, spells that can return more than one thing from your graveyard to your hand exile themselves, and I don't think this should be an exception.
One Foot in the Grave-For  more than , get a much better spell. Nice!
The Great Dredge-Plays well with both Golgari mechanics and is useful even if you don't go that route. Not bad.
 Pestilent Onslaught-Is your local meta full of damage prevention effects, because otherwise I can't determine how relevant the life loss clause is.
Trade with the Dead-Should exile itself. The discard probably keeps it safe. I like how this lets you put a bunch of your dredge/scavenge cards in the bin while buying back other utility effects. Simple, but powerful.
Dead Rising- I've covered wars you know. But seriously, couldn't this have costed to avoid that clunky, If X is one clause? I like cards like this; two useful effects that are greater than the sum of their parts. My biggest complaing is that it seems to be tracking two variables, X and the number of creatures in your yard, and that reads kind of clunky. Ultimately though, the effect is powerful enough that I feel like a player will be willing to put up with it. 
Spore Rot-This wouldn't work in RTR block because they're using +1/+1 counters, but nonetheless. Very powerful, perhaps too much, but I would love to play this. The make X dudes is good enough to be relevant at instant speed, but its removal too? Yes please.
Orderly Demise-Imi, I've noticed a trick they do for gold cards is that if an effect exists in more than one color (such as putting cards in your yard on top of your library works for both green and black) making it both of those colors allows them to cost the spell more aggresively than if it was just one of those colors. Thus, this works as a gold spell I feel.
Secrets of Life and Death-I'm really not sure the double X is necessary on top of

@Lobster667, sorry, you missed the cutoff period by about 2 hours.

This was a tough pick for me, you're all so dang clever, and there's so many metrics to choose from; power, innovation, flavor, trolling. One of my toughest calls to date honestly.

SELESNYA
There were a lot of good cards made, and a lot I would thoroughly enjoy playing with, but I'm ultimately giving the win to Imidazoline for Trostani's Guidance.
It's powerful, interesting and not particularly obvious design space. Good job Imi. Every passing contest my joke about banning you for winning too many contests gets less and less funny. ಠ_ಠ

GOLGARI
 A particular design quirk I favor is two effects that are greater than the sum of their parts. In the case of ConfusedAsUsual's Dead Rising, that would be self-milling and reanimation. Both useful effects, but together they become something more.
THE PEOPLE'S VOTE

SELESNYA
Imidazoline's Trostani's Guidance is our winner with three votes!

Golgari
The winner is Dudibus' One Foot in the Grave with two votes!

Congrats to everyone who won and thanks to everyone who entered.

If you feel I misscounted, please let me know.
Also please let me know what you think was good or bad about this contest so I can improve my future contests.
Thank you all so much!  
Dang it, and just when I thought I might have a chance to win one of Thoctar's contests at last.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
But you did win. D:

Dead Rising was my Golgari pick. 
D= Oh right, judge's vote and people's vote. Hehe, thought that all the votes including the judge's adds together. Yay~~
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm happy with the responses I got on my cards, so no complaints from me

My flavortexts were added practically later than last minute, plus it's my least favorite part of card designs that I make as a whole. 

My idea behind 2/2 vigilance knights was that it IS a fairly common token made in selesnya (selesnya charm, knightly valor, security blockade), and that 3/3 man horses might have been too good.

Golgari was an interesting one to do, and, like Hairless said, could have costed less for being grave hate, but, again, didn't want it to be too overpowered.

I liked seeing everyone elses designs though