Damia and Dominus of fealty

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
My opponent has Dominus of Fealty which allows him to take control of target permanent.  He takes control of my Damia sage of stone, does her effect trigger for him?

Technically he has priority on the stack, however damia's effect doesn't trigger since she is under my control during his untap step, but would it trigger if he takes it at the beginning of his upkeep, and her effect also triggers at the beginning of the upkeep, I wonder if it is too late for it to trigger.
not in this upkeep
Damia, Sage of Stone will trigger on his next upkeep, the "beginning of your upkeep" has already passed in the turn he took control of her with Dominus of Fealty

tell him to play Paradox Haze ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
Each upkeep can only begin once, and all beginning-of-upkeep triggered abilities trigger (or not) at that time. He didn't control Damia, Sage of Stone as his upkeep began, so the ability didn't trigger for him. Gaining control of it after the upkeep has already begun won't allow it to trigger.

not in this upkeep
Damia, Sage of Stone will trigger on his next upkeep, the "beginning of your upkeep" has already passed in the turn he took control of her with Dominus of Fealty

Dominus's effect only lasts until end of turn. It's not possible to steal a creature with the Dominus and then have that creature's beginning-of-upkeep ability trigger (well, not unless there are multiple upkeeps).
No, it does not. Your opponent need to control Damia when the upkeep step begins in order for the ability to trigger. If your opponent gains control of Damia during their upkeep, then it's too late for the ability to trigger.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

My opponent has Dominus of Fealty which allows him to take control of target permanent.  He takes control of my Damia sage of stone, does her effect trigger for him?

Technically he has priority on the stack, however damia's effect doesn't trigger since she is under my control during his untap step, but would it trigger if he takes it at the beginning of his upkeep, and her effect also triggers at the beginning of the upkeep, I wonder if it is too late for it to trigger.

Dominus of Fealty
Damia, Sage of Stone

At the beginning of dominus guy's upkeep, his "at the beginning of your upkeep" triggers (i.e. the dominus) go off and he puts the dominus trigger on the stack, people can respond, etc and when the ability resolves, dominus guy grabs the Damia. At that point, Damia is his, but his "at the beginning of upkeep" triggeres have already had their one and only trigger event happen for the turn, and so he'll have to wait for his NEXT upkeep to draw up to 7 cards, assuming he's still got Damia at that time.

Edit: Dominus guy would still have to figure out a way to retian control of the Damia past his own end step first. 
Dominus's effect only lasts until end of turn. It's not possible to steal a creature with the Dominus and then have that creature's beginning-of-upkeep ability trigger (well, not unless there are multiple upkeeps).

right, should have read it more carefully
proud member of the 2011 community team