Would 2012 Beknighted be better, worse, or equal to 2013 Decks?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Title says it all.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I would love to be able to play it against the 2013 crop of decks, along with MtW, RoI, AD, DH...

I'd love to see a mode that includes some of the older decks we've already paid for.  Heck, I'd pay extra to play it.

That said, I think BK would do fine.  Knight Exemplar and Mirran Crusader would wreck in this format.  2013 is a bit tame compared to the decks of 2012 overall, though the better decks in the newer version would still do well overall.
If anything, THIS is what Stainless needs to do for deck packs.  Sure, release the planned ones.  But then do a "Duels 2012 deck pack" that lets us play all those in '13.  And a Duels '09.
I can understand people not wanting to bring the best of the rest in to wreak havoc on our existing meta.  That's why there should be a separate mode for it.

WotC makes money by charging a minimal amount to "download" our old decks that we've paid for through buying the older games, and we get to enjoy the best of the best throughout Duels history, in a mode that would be separate and wouldn't directly interfere with the standard versus matches.  Make it happen in Duels 2014; it's more money for you, and more fun for us.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Since the first DotP, I have been making each Duels deck on MTGO (w/ lack of money being the biggest obstacle Money Mouth)  I also have two MTGO accounts, so I started using Beknighted in one account and have been playing against my DotP 2013 decks.

Played only 2 games so far with more to come.

Beknighted lost to Born in Flame in 7 turns.  An unchecked Furnace Whelp and some early burn spells were too much for the knights.

Beknighted beat Pack Instinct in 10 turns, despite Pack's Vorapede.  One Knight Exemplar (with green's relative lack of removal) was obviously tough.  Then getting some (indestructible) flyers out only made things worse for Garruk's Pack.

The next few games will be against Dream Puppets and Goblin Gangland.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Pernicious Deed makes Knight Exemplar sad.

You can't destroy indestructible permanents.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Knight Exemplar is not indestrutible unless there are two of them on the battlefield.
Beknighted beat Dream Puppets in 8 turns.  Kinsbaile Cavalier with Knight of Meadowgrain was the winning combo.  I was using the "mill" build w/ the Puppets, but I'm not sure that any other build would change things.

Bekinghted beat Goblin Ganglang in 9 turns.  Alaborn Cavalier with Kinsbaile Cavalier proved too much despite two Goblin Chieftains out for Krenko's army.

I'm going to switch it up to some of the expansion decks next...Grinning Malice and Mindstorms maybe...

The Knights are now 4-1. 

I think the knights would steamroll this meta just like they did in the last game, same with RoI and MtW. They were all just so solid in their deck compositions, they'd easily be able to hold their own in this game and then some.
Those decks were likely the best, don't get me wrong, but they did not "steamroll the meta."  If anything, the outcries of those who want tepid, half-complete decks has resulted in many of the decks we now play in Duels 2013 as being incomplete.

Wizards, please keep making decks like SS, OD, GG, BoF, RoI, MtW, AD, and BK.  These decks most mirror real Magic decks in both form and function. 

Good thing Beknighted has Mirran Crusader then. Oh, and Paladin en-Vec and White Knight. Plus three Knight Exemplars to make each other indestructible. Maybe you shoule pitch Sepulchral Strength against Beknighted next Lafave, my bet would be that Sepulchral Strength gets hosed.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

Good thing Beknighted has Mirran Crusader then. Oh, and Paladin en-Vec and White Knight. Plus three Knight Exemplars to make each other indestructible. Maybe you shoule pitch Sepulchral Strength against Beknighted next Lafave, my bet would be that Sepulchral Strength gets hosed.

Creatures with Protection die to Pernicious Deed or Damnation. Not to mention Spiritmonger.

And your opponent should actually be considered fairly lucky if they get a second Exemplar in play because of Deed and the rest of SS' removal that can't target creatures with Pro Black. And even besides that, Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Cabal Patriarch and Diabolic Edict can all kill Indestructible creatures.
Pernitious Deed makes Knight Exemplar sad.

Any removal makes Exemplar sad if she's the only one out.  Unless the Deed is the only removal you have you wouldn't want to play it with an Exemplar out because it would only remove the Exemplar.  Every other knight on the board would have indestructability at the time the effect went off so you'd only remove one creature and still be looking at 2-4 knights.

I'm glad splatter cleared up the other misinformation here.  Saved me the time of having to type out why half the people in this thread are wrong.

I think the knights would steamroll this meta just like they did in the last game, same with RoI and MtW. They were all just so solid in their deck compositions, they'd easily be able to hold their own in this game and then some.

Knights didn't steamroll the meta in the same way GG doesn't steamroll this one.  It's just that a lot of people here don't like all out aggro and complain about it...  a lot.

It was a very good deck, probably the best of that game, but it would lose games. 

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Creatures with Protection die to Pernicious Deed or Damnation. Not to mention Spiritmonger.

And your opponent should actually be considered fairly lucky if they get a second Exemplar in play because of Deed and the rest of SS' removal that can't target creatures with Pro Black. And even besides that, Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief, Cabal Patriarch and Diabolic Edict can all kill Indestructible creatures.

Not to mention Consume Strength.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

It was a very good deck, probably the best of that game, but it would lose games. 

As I recall, it's main weakness was that 90% of it was powerful 2-3cmc cards and no real way to draw more. 2012 didn't have nearly the removal 2013 has so if it were simply dropped into '13, once many of the '13 decks started killing it's creatures it would quickly run out of steam.

Like SS. Pro Black creature? I have Green creatures. Mirran Crusader? I have Pernicious Deed/Damnation[/c]. Indestructibles? Okay, bit of a problem, but that just gives reason to run Cabal Patriarch and Drana.

Meanwhile, Spiritmonger almost single-handedly ruins Beknighted's day...
...except that Mirran Crusader alone makes you pray for one of your removal spells.  Iona's Judgment also fends off Spiritmonger pretty well, and any first-striking knight with Armored Ascension makes it a race, especially if it has pro-black (or is the Crusader).

It's really up to whoever gets the best draw within the first six-ish turns, I'd say.  Both decks are very good; I'd love to see them square off. 
...except that Mirran Crusader alone makes you pray for one of your removal spells.  Iona's Judgment also fends off Spiritmonger pretty well, and any first-striking knight with Armored Ascension makes it a race, especially if it has pro-black (or is the Crusader).

It's really up to whoever gets the best draw within the first six-ish turns, I'd say.  Both decks are very good; I'd love to see them square off. 

Iona's Judgement can deal wtih Spiritmonger, but the 'monger can also be sac'd to Greater Good and SS just drew half a dozen or more cards.

Spiritmonger and Mirran Crusader are basically analogous to one another with regards to must-kill. However, SS has more ways to deal with Crusader than BK has to deal with Spiritmonger.

I'm not sure Beknighted would roflstomp '13 the way it did '12, but it wouldn't be as underpowered as most of '12s removal-lite decks would be.
That last line you posted is the key, really.  It's potent, but I don't think it would be too overbearing in this meta.
That makes me think, if they were to transpose decks from DotP 2012 to DotP 2013, they would probably add 10 cards to each deck to bring the number of unlocks in each deck up to the same amount (ignoring the whole promo card debacle). I wonder which 10 they might add to Beknighted so that it wouldn't become overpowered in this meta but perhaps become a bit more versatile? I know it's a silly notion, but one can dream can't they? Can you tell I'm in to deck building?

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

I'm personally wondering how Trinity would be. I suppose it would still be underpowered, but the ability to tap mana the way you want would majorly improve that deck, since 2012 tapped absolutely terrible for it.
I'm personally wondering how Trinity would be. I suppose it would still be underpowered, but the ability to tap mana the way you want would majorly improve that deck, since 2012 tapped absolutely terrible for it.

That's only half the problem. The other half is the "first into play - first to resolve" order of EtB effects.
For Trinity to be as effective as it should, I have to be able to play Primal Forcemage and/or Ronin Warclub before Pandemoniium/Warstorm Surge and still get the former's buffs added to the latter's damage.

As it is, I have to play the higher cmc permanents first which is pants-on-head retarded....
Ah Beknighted, even now you haunt people who raged about you back in 2012. Wait we're still IN 2012...the game, not the year!

Beknighted was probably the most overrated deck that has ever been in a DOTP game. It had a very high quality of card yes, and was high tier in its meta, but it was consistently beatable by lots of the other decks. It wasn't some 'god deck' that destroyed the game the way the Vampire deck in the original DOTP did.

Anyways, it would do very well in 2013's metagame as it did in 2012, with a good chance against most of the current decks. It has speed, protection and indestructability so in the current control focused meta it would excel. But again, far from unbeatable.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.

That's only half the problem. The other half is the "first into play - first to resolve" order of EtB effects.
For Trinity to be as effective as it should, I have to be able to play Primal Forcemage and/or Ronin Warclub before Pandemoniium/Warstorm Surge and still get the former's buffs added to the latter's damage.

As it is, I have to play the higher cmc permanents first which is pants-on-head retarded....

Yea, it makes you think that the built and tested the decks with real cards and then just assumed they would work in DotP. I really hope that is something they fix for DotP 2014. Even if they didn't give the player the choice of priority and just implemented a smart priority system, it would still be a step up.

"Lif is too short."

Pernicious Deed

But the deed doesn't kill the other knights IIRC when Knight exemplar is on the table or was that a glitch in 2012?
Pernicious Deed

But the deed doesn't kill the other knights IIRC when Knight exemplar is on the table or was that a glitch in 2012?

Exemplar can be hit with spot removal, Pro-black /green knights can be wiped with Deed. It's when there's two Exemplars that it's a problem, but even then SS has answers for the Indestructibles.
There are many ways for SS to get rid of those nasty Indestructibles:

Abyssal Gatekeeper
Consume Strength
Diabolic Edict
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
Consuming Vapors
Grave Pact

The best one being Grave Pact, add a Mitotic Slime/ Creakwood Liege/Yavimaya Elder with a Greater Good. Also, Beknighted needs to deal with Hexproof, and regeneratin creatures, plus survive enough removal and those massive graveyard creatures, this one would be a really close one imo (assuming they both have good builds). 

Ah Beknighted, even now you haunt people who raged about you back in 2012. Wait we're still IN 2012...the game, not the year!

Beknighted was probably the most overrated deck that has ever been in a DOTP game. It had a very high quality of card yes, and was high tier in its meta, but it was consistently beatable by lots of the other decks. It wasn't some 'god deck' that destroyed the game the way the Vampire deck in the original DOTP did.

Anyways, it would do very well in 2013's metagame as it did in 2012, with a good chance against most of the current decks. It has speed, protection and indestructability so in the current control focused meta it would excel. But again, far from unbeatable.

The only decks, from what I remember, that could stand a chance against Beknighted were March to War and the B/W deck - and you needed pretty good draws with both to win.
RoI, vamps and GW laughed at Beknighted. I honestly don't think the deck is that OP, it doesn't really get going until turn 3 or 4. If you look at the decks in 2013, most of them have hit their bombs at that point. With the exception of CW which has fog bank cancel disperse and mana leak . OD has tons of removal and some nasty creatures in the late game. As soon as knight exemplar hits the field it eats a removal

I'm shocked that GG didn't beat Beknighted.  
RoI, vamps and GW laughed at Beknighted. I honestly don't think the deck is that OP, it doesn't really get going until turn 3 or 4. If you look at the decks in 2013, most of them have hit their bombs at that point. With the exception of CW which has fog bank cancel disperse and mana leak . OD has tons of removal and some nasty creatures in the late game. As soon as knight exemplar hits the field it eats a removal

I want to know what builds were being used. If it was 100 card deck GG vs Beknighted I can see why.
I think Beknighted's first strike creatures would beat GG most of the time - the matchup seems pretty unfavorable for GG to me, given the right BK build.
I'm surprised by Bk vs. GG as well.  However, as of now, I am only playing 1 game vs. each 2013 deck.  I could go back and re-play each (or play best-of-3).  Overall, I think GG would do very well against the knights...too fast and too much removal to keep the knights on the field.

P.S.  I can post my builds later, including the sideboards I'm using for each.  Although, since I'm not completing matches, the sideboards are irrelevant.

GW and vamps definitely didn't laugh at Beknighted, remember all the pro black? Yeah, just because those decks could make people sac creatures doesn't mean you're always going to be able to make them sac the pro black... The deck definitely had its' weaknesses, but once it got going it was so hard to stop due to all the things the deck forces you to answer, with indestructibility thrown in it was just annoyingly stupid. Of course it largely depended on your hand and what you drew, but it was extremely consistent with getting at least something out every match that you pretty much are forced to answer or it's GG.
I'm surprised by Bk vs. GG as well.  However, as of now, I am only playing 1 game vs. each 2013 deck.  I could go back and re-play each (or play best-of-3).  Overall, I think GG would do very well against the knights...too fast and too much removal to keep the knights on the field.

P.S.  I can post my builds later, including the sideboards I'm using for each.  Although, since I'm not completing matches, the sideboards are irrelevant.

Sure GG is fast and has a ton of cheap removal.  It also has some card draw.  Beknighted's advantages seem to greatly outweigh that:

1. almost every creature either has first strike or flanking, which means any goblin that attacks without removal being played first probably dies, and your creature survives (although flanking doesn't work on defense I think, but it means any goblin blocker dies at least).

2. for any creature that doesn't have first strike, there's 2  Kinsbaile Cavalier

3. there are creatures that are completely safe or resistant to removal:
2 Paladin en-Vec
1 Silver Knight
1 Kinght of Dawn  - though this last one could be targeted the turn you play him
1 Armored Ascension - any creature this is placed on will almost certainly become out of range of GG's removal
1 Marshall's Anthem - compensates for lack of card draw, resurrects an Exemplar

4. BK's lords are better:

3 Knight Exemplar
1 Swiftfoot Boots - equipping this to an Exemplar may make the game unwinnable for GG except through direct damage

5. BK is also very fast, and has ramp to boot:
2 Knight of the White Orchid

6. Lifegain can be the bane of aggro decks, which is why CL is one of the better matchups for GG:
2 Knights of Meadowgrain
2 Moment of Heroism - in a pinch, could also protect an Exemplar from removal or serve as removal itself
1 Noble Purpose - expensive but you do have some ramp and almost everything else in the deck is cheap
1 Kemba's Skyguard 

7. BK has mass removal, if it comes to that:

1 Mass Calcify - expensive, an argument could be made that you're dead before you play it, but ramp and lifegain may demonstrate otherwise

BK's other removal isn't great; Smite the Monstrous won't be very useful against GG, and Iona's Judgement is expensive, but first strike and pump effects are probably sufficient.

On the other hand, BK does have 2 flash first strikers Benalish Knight which will probably function very well as removal against GG, and give you a creature as well.

Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe GG's removal suite is just too good against a legion of 2/2 creatures, but I would be surprised.  I'd imaging BK vs. GG is usually a slaughter in favor of BK.

I really hope Wizards releases an expansion that makes 2012 decks (or 2 expansions, one that includes 2009 decks) compatible with 2013.  I don't think it will happen but I'd buy it quickly even if it didn't contain a single extra card (except maybe add some Evolving Wilds to Dragon's Roar to provide that deck some dignity).  I think 2012 has a number of decks that would fare pretty well.

I was thinking of playing another game (or a match) w/ Beknighted vs. GG.  I just completed a best-of-3 match with Bk vs. SS.  Bk won the first game in 12 turns, SS won the second game on turn 8 and then SS won the final game on turn 11.  I'll post the details shortly.

Last game, with SS, I "pulsed" my own Abyssal Gatekeeper.  The knights had to sac. their only creature at the time...White Knight which had been a little difficult, obviously, to get rid of.  SS also had Blood Artist out!  Once all was said and done, SS dealt the final 4 points of damage needed to finish off the knights.
Being as it is fairly easy to Stall, get some mana with CW. Kicking off the fun with Knight Exemplar might be fun.

Edit: Funner, Funne, Funnest

Show

Being as it is fairly easy to Stall, get some mana with CW. Kicking off the fun with Knight Exemplar might be fun.

Edit: Funner, Funne, Funnest

I don't know...CW should be competitive, but BK's speed might mean you face similar results as you would against GG.  You might not make it to 9 mana.  Plus, Swiftfoot Boots.
Yes the boots could put a damper on the evening.

Edit: But if you're up to nine mana the Boots can be handled.

Edit Edit: For a turn that is.

Edit Edit Edit: No. I was thinking right. They no longer own the Boots to reequip.

Show

Just looked at my results (recap)...I had miscounted Bk's wins earlier.

lost vs. Born of Flame
WON vs. Pack Instinct
WON vs. Dream Puppets
WON vs. Goblin Gangland
WON vs. Sepulchral Strength
lost vs. Sepulchral Strength
lost vs. Sepulchral Strength

Overall:  4-3

Obviously, this is a very small sample size and doesn't factor in the builds and strategies other people would use.  As others have said, I would LOVE to see a Duels game with all decks from all three games (oh well...maybe one day...lol)

That's really it.  Being able to get the best-of-the-best together at least, or ALL of them together, would be great.

First off, we'd finally be able to edit the 09 decks properly; imagine how much better those decks would be once you cut certain cards out of them.

You'd also be able to manually tap your mana in the two- and three-color decks.  Instants would also be better now, since we get an End Step.

BK was always good, yet overrated.  So many posts crying about it on this board, but many decks could do just fine against it.  RoI is another one that did great against it (and across the board).

I would pay (more) money to be able to play all of those decks together.
Sign In to post comments