Reader Input?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure if this is in the right section or not, but here it goes.

5e will be focusing on the players' stories, yes? Players can go through adventures and then give their input. Well...

Many people who read the Forgotten Realms novels also play the game. The novels are more of a perk or supplement to the games. But there are people, such as myself (I hope I'm not the only one) who primarily read the novels, and so it sounds as though we won't have much of a say. Sure, we can post reviews and such, but only after the events have happened. I know there aren't supposed to anymore big RSEs, but events are obviously still going to happen, otherwise things would get old and static. I heard that in 5e, players will have a chance to share their results and stories, and this could shape future events in the novels/D&D (please correct me if I am wrong and have misunderstood).

I think readers should have a say in what goes as well. Maybe we're a small crowd, but we have our thoughts and opinons too.
My guess would be that you only get a say as a gamer if you participate in organized play, or whatever they're calling it these days... RPGA sort of stuff.  Those of us gamers who don't bother with that sort of thing end up in the same camp as the novel readers, alone, cold, and wet... with wolves chasing us in the night.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Ooh, yeah that could be it. Thanks for that insight. That isn't really fair either. Maybe there is a large percentage of RPGA-ers, but I think the other groups could contribute too
Fair?  What does fair have to do with it?  Life is far from fair, and I see little compelling reason why that should suddenly change...

Seriously though, RPGA provides them with a group of people who have invested time, effort, and money in an obvious and quantifiable sort of way.  They know for a fact that its members are invested in the product, whereas the more 'casual' gamers and readers are not, since we don't participate with the RPGA.  It doesn't matter that we may own every sourcebook and/or novel ever written, since we haven't joined the RPGA, we haven't stood up to be counted by joining up.  And honestly, I'm fine with that attitude on WotC's part, it makes sense from both a business and gaming stand point.  Really, if you want a voice, you have to go where you'll be heard, and that means the RPGA as far as this is concerned.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

There are people who are as dedicated to the Realms as the ones who join RPGA events, but who simply can't do it or prefer to run with their own campaigns-stories and don't want to stick with whatever adventure WotC handles (especially considering that -AFAIK- they appear to be rigid in their structure, allowing not so much freedom). Not to mention that some players/DMs are customers only as long as the Realms are concerned, but don't care/like the rules WotC sells: they would be automatically excluded by these initiatives. For these reason I really don't see this as a good marketing choice, as they are trying to regain customers (not merely keeping the ones they have), and keeping Realms fan who want to choose what to play/readers out of the shaping of their favourite setting surely sounds as a bad move.
Ooh, yeah that could be it. Thanks for that insight. That isn't really fair either. Maybe there is a large percentage of RPGA-ers, but I think the other groups could contribute too

You're overestimating the degree of contribution. In the end you basically just report that you're group chose A, B, and A at the three turning points of the adventure and you're groups feedback is one of lets say 2,000 that get's recorded so your personal impact is really negligible in the grand scheme of things 

quote author=56856038 post=526371993]Really, if you want a voice, you have to go where you'll be heard, and that means the RPGA as far as this is concerned.
Yeah, it's like complaining about the election while you didn't even get off the couch to vote (and you reported RPGA adventure influences the turn the realms take just as little as your personal vote influenced who became president).

PS: OK, well OK, actually a lot more then your 1/130,000,000 impact in the presidential election, but you're 1/X,XXX or 1/XX,XXX impact on the RPGA vote doesn't change the realms by itself either
I was simply stating my opinion. I didn't know I'd be attacked for it.
I was simply stating my opinion. I didn't know I'd be attacked for it.

Relax, you're not being attacked in the slightest.

Mirtek is just providing some perspective on just what a contribution is and what a contribution could amount to.

Your idea that their might be ways other gamers who don't play in the RPGA can contribute is still valid.

That said, I didn't get the impression that what's coming from WotC for the Realms is going to be something limited to the RPGA. To me it seemed like something open to everyone and anyone who buys a Realms adventure; likely a web-based reporting feature that all gamers can use.
^ Seeing that Amazon spoiled the first Sundering adventure, I think that what MrMiscellany said is actually true: people will have to buy the adventure to get to 'vote' to decide what will happen to the Realms (which is actually fine, as even readers will have their say on it).
They haven't revealed how the feedback will be collected yet. Although, I think that it would be kind of foolish of WotC to limit it to the RPGA.
I heard that in 5e, players will have a chance to share their results and stories, and this could shape future events in the novels/D&D (please correct me if I am wrong and have misunderstood).

I believe that WotC was only referring to the current (4e) organized play events occurring in game stores (like the War of Everlasting Darkness).

fwiw: I feel it would be an excellent paradigm for 5e to include this option with purchased adventures, but I don't see that happening.

However, Living Forgotten Realms has always recorded results and used them to shape Living Forgotten Realms.
Thinking about it, with RPGA stuff made non-canon, there is a question of whether they'd actually get exclusive input or not.  Old thinking on my part there maybe... it would be nice if there was a system for anyone who wished it to have input, but that cynic in me is having a hard time believing that WotC would ever do something like that.  TSR... yeah, I could probably swallow that one, but for some reason I just can't see WotC, and by extension Hasbro being okay with that.  Hope I'm wrong about that actually.

- Oscar Wilde

Thinking about it, with RPGA stuff made non-canon, there is a question of whether they'd actually get exclusive input or not.

Living Forgotten Realms results affected only Living Forgotten Realms. They did not affect canon Forgotten Realms.

Dunno, seemed to affect canon to me back during the days of 2e/AD&D, not so much post-3e though.

- Oscar Wilde

There's always fanfiction as well.

I was reading on one of the other posts about getting more 4ED stories before 5th takes over. Fanfiction might be a good idea and possibly have some of the idea's be used as a kind of back story to the upcoming novels/adventures etc.  
Sign In to post comments