Spreading Plague deck idea's?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I'd like to try and build a deck around Spreading Plague for multiplayer.

Besides the card with the stupidest name ever, I'm unsure which direction I should try.
I'm thinking about going with B/G to get access to mana-ramp.
I like the way Necrotic Plague, Nettlevine Blight, Takklemaggot, Screams from Within all retain the flavour of the plague idea, even though they're not all playable.  How Transguild Courier works with Spreading is nice.
So far my basic idea is to use this basic combo of "Spreading Book" for keeping beats away, whilst I get a win-con happening.

But what else?
What other cards could work with this theme, and still be robust enough in MP?
And what's a win-con that keeps with the plague theme?

(EDIT: Jinxed Idol, Jinxed Ring & Jinxed Choker aren't the direction I wanna go)
Artifact creatures are nice. Blinking lets you change the color as desired.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks.
Given the plague theme, I may end up popping in Inkmoth Nexus & some cheap infect creatures for after I've wiped their defence.
12 Infect creatures or less.

But if I wanted to stay almost completely creatureless - what could I look to?  
Scuttlemutt can accelerate you to 5 mana, as well as turn your artifact creatures into pseudo-Transguild-Couriers long enough to kill all the opponents' creatures.
Can scuttlemutt effect a creature being cast while it is still on the stack?

Using artifact creatures gives a pretty simple win con.

I think Mimic Vat would be a really good combo with Spreading Plague. It basically turns into a repeatable, instant speed, Plague Wind for 3 mana (as long as most of your opponent's creatures share a color).
I think Mimic Vat would be a really good combo with Spreading Plague. It basically turns into a repeatable, instant speed, Plague Wind for 3 mana (as long as most of your opponent's creatures share a color).

Mimic Vat - I didn't even think of that one!
That definitely deserves a ponder.
I'll give Scuttlemutt a trundle too - both could be worth a go.

Cheers everyone.      

Can scuttlemutt effect a creature being cast while it is still on the stack?

Using artifact creatures gives a pretty simple win con.

Just use the Scuttlemutt in response to the Spreading Plague trigger. Then it will have the new colors when the Plague trigger resolves.
Darkest Hour will ensure that Spreading Plague only ever leaves a single creature on the board at any one time.
From there, you want something that will continually recur the one creature that is your win-con... Mimic Vat, Oversold Cemetery, Recurring Nightmare (if you have a token generator handy)...
Malakir Bloodwitch or Netherborn Phalanx are probably the best wincons here, as they hit all opponents at once, but they'll be pretty expensive given they'll be dealing minimal damage. You can always use something along the lines of Geralf's Messenger or Highway Robber instead.
I highly recommend running instant-speed token generators next to Spreading Plague - they allow you to control the board exceptionally well.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Thanks!
Could also go with a few indestructible creatures, or artifacts/lands that can become creatures.  These will avoid spreading plague destruction.

Sign In to post comments