Planeswalker timing/ priority question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

This question arises because of  some playtesting.

The player casting Jace, Architect of Thought has priority and uses his -2 bringing him to 2 loyalty counters, revealing a syncopate  and two other cards. Could I in response cast a searing spear to kill Jace or would his ability completely resolve putting the syncopate in his hand to allow him to counter the searing spear?

Thank you in advance! This play could be game changing!
The ability is in the middle of resolving, no player gets priority to do anything while it is not completely done. At which time Syncopate is already in the player's hand. So no, you cannot kill the planeswalker anymore before the counterspell is in your opponent's hand. Also, he gets priority first to do further stuff, since it is his turn.
The player casting Jace, Architect of Thought has priority and uses his -2 bringing him to 2 loyalty counters, revealing a syncopate  and two other cards. Could I in response cast a searing spear to kill Jace or would his ability completely resolve putting the syncopate in his hand to allow him to counter the searing spear?

If you cast the Searing Spear in response to the ability, Jace will be put into its owner's graveyard (not die) before the ability can begin to resolve. If, on the other hand, you allow the ability to start resolving, you can only sit quietly and watch until the ability is fully resolved and your opponent has received and passed priority.

Since your opponent has revealed cards, the ability has started resolving.
Still blessed by Julia of Hillsdown. M:tG Rules Adviser You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

If you cast the Searing Spear in response to the ability, Jace will be put into its owner's graveyard (not die) before the ability can begin to resolve. If, on the other hand, you allow the ability to start resolving, you can only sit quietly and watch until the ability is fully resolved and your opponent has received and passed priority.

Since your opponent has revealed cards, the ability has started resolving.

Ok, so I can cast searing spear in response to the activation of Jace's -2 but it has to be before the three cards are revealed? That way I could have him go to the graveyard but his ability would continue to resolve.

Thanks again! 
Ok, so I can cast searing spear in response to the activation of Jace's -2 but it has to be before the three cards are revealed? That way I could have him go to the graveyard but his ability would continue to resolve.

That's correct.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Jace will be put into its owner's graveyard (not die) before the ability can begin to resolve

Is going from the BF to the GY the definition of dieing?

only for creatures

but it is a silly thing to nitpick, if you want to nitpick say that it is not destruction, that can actually be relevant
proud member of the 2011 community team
Dying is just "being put into the graveyard from the battlefield". It doesn't mean "being put into the graveyard from the battlefield while being a creature". When they template cards, they'll only use the word "dies" if they're talking about creatures (or about permanents that are very likely to be creatures), but that's just a style choice; it doesn't have any gameplay implications. For example, if you have two Boggart Shenanigans enchantments and Naturalize one of them, the ability of the other one will trigger, even though it uses the word "dies".

Dies
A creature “dies” if it is put into a graveyard from the battlefield. See rule 700.6.

700.6. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.” It is used only when referring to creatures.

non-creatures can still "die"
it is just generally not used for them because of flavor reasons
proud member of the 2011 community team
Note that if your opponent rushed ahead and carried out the actions that should only have happened when the ability resolved without giving you the opportunity to respond, then you can force them to back up and do things properly. Just because they took two counters off Jace with one hand and flipped some cards off the top of their library with the other doesnt mean the ability is actually resolving - it just means they jumped the gun. Now, if they said "Jace -2" and took two counters off, and you said "OK", then they started revealing cards, then you have missed your chance to burn Jace before they pick up the counterspells they revealed.

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments