Budget Goblin-Horde Deck

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
So this is the budget goblin deck I'm currently running. There are 3 diffrent modifications I'm thinking of making to this, but I can't decide which way to go.

BASE DECK

MOD 1
-4 Goblin lookout
+4 Goblin Chieftain

MOD 2
-2 Quest for the Goblin Lord
+2 Krenko, Mob Boss

MOD 3
-4 Goblin Lookout
-2 Quest for the Goblin Lord
+4 Mudbutton Torchrunner
+2 Voracious Dragon

Any suggestions for cheap improvements to the basic deck, and improvements and/or suggestions on which direction to take this are welcome.
I love Voracious Dragon in my goblin deck, and have won games on its scaly back.

I'm not a fan of Sledder, though. 

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I wasn't either until someone pointed out he can push threw Damage of blocked goblins, and I know he lowers the goblin count which hurts things like the warstrike but I usual don't use it till I'm in kill range(which in this deck can frequently be 10-15 life). I've won many matches by pilling blocked goblins/tokens onto an unblocked arsonist, only to then blow him up with a grenade after combat and win.
-4 Goblin Sledder
-4 Goblin Arsonist

+3 Goblin Chieftain
+3 Krenko, Mob Boss
+2 Voracious Dragon

Just my 2 cents. I don't think Arsonist DOES enough. And you just can't pass up Krenko in a token deck like this, although I'm close to deeming him overkill. Some card draw would be nice, but hopefully not neccesary. I run a similar deck and add Browbeat. A Browbeat first couple of turns is usually only 5 to opponents' face, which is still worth it, but after the first couple of turns, the opponent usually can't afford to take the 5, so I get to replentish my hand, which gets pretty empty really fast. I also run Rite of Flame to speed things up though, as well as letting me cheat the curve a bit. Lastly, Goblin Chieftain is also potent, cause you tap Krenko, and all those goblins are on line to swing NOW.

My current Token deck looks like this:

3x Krenko, Mob Boss
4x Mogg War Marshal
4x Goblin Lackey
3x Goblin Chieftain
4x Mogg Fanatic

4x Rite of Flame
3x Browbeat
4x Goblin Grenade
3x Goblin War Strike
4x Krenko's Command
3x Dragon Fodder
3x Quest for the Goblin Lord

19x Mountain

Since you're budget, Lackey is out, and without Lackey cheating stuff in, you won't empty your hand as fast. So maybe Browbeat isn't as good, but it's still pretty potent in a deck this fast, running such few lands.

I do like the Sledder strategy, but I'd be afraid of getting it blown up or removed to soon. Chieftain giving it haste is cool though. There's certainly not enough room for all of these different ideas, so if Sledder works, keep it, and walk on wit yo bad self.

(EDIT: After having posted my deck list, I was looking through it, and looks like I'm running Mogg Fanatic instead of Raging. I remember making that change so I had a point of damage to knock off a turn 1 weenie to get Lackey through on the occasions I got to drop both due to Rite.)
The only reason I'm reluctant to put krenko in here is He cost 4 and can take a while to get out based on that I used to run Reckless One in here, although the flames could help that. Now that I'm thinking of the flames I have 2 Coat of arms I could thow in here, would they be worth it?
Coat seems like it's tailor made for this kind of deck (artwork even says it is Tongue Out), and CAN be awesome, but after spending a lot of time with it back in the day, it just costs too much, and there's other cheaper ways of getting goblins big enough to win quicker. You don't NEED Hulk-sized goblins to win, cause if you've already dealt some direct damage through Grenade and such, you won't need that much damage to win. My average game is 10 points of direct damage, and swinging with enough goblins to get 3 or 4 through. Turn 4, 5, at most 6. If they game goes on that long, you're usually looking at direct damage for the win anyway.
In my opinion every army needs the King. And also:
-1 Krenko its legendary, one dies second comes in and third... do nothing
+1 Goblin War Strike I hope I don't have to explain.

If you can make maximal amount of:
-Chieftain
-Dragon
-Wardriver 

Quest is not necessary, I think. With king and chieftain you will have better final bonus. With good cards more means better.
King is cool flavor wise, but Chieftian is WAY better. The reason for 3 kenkos(and probably why Sacrifice has 3 too) is 1 so your more likely to draw them early and 2 They draw removal like crazy so you usually get 1-3 uses out of them against any R,W, or B deck and blue counters them out right. Still they're so good they're still worth running. The quest, while not as good as the others makes an awesome Turn 1 drop in this, if I dropped it I'd add Raging Goblin but I think the Quest's better.
As Adam would say, "Not to Shabby" (sry, Adam Sandler's christmas song just invaded my head). Looks good to me. Give it a go, or several... Playing a deck is the only way of knowing. There are just SOO many ways to take a goblin deck. I think I'd to try it your way just to see if Goblin Lackey is really that important.

In a token deck, I like Quest better than King. Quest is better offense, King is better defense. This deck doesn't care about defense. If, WHEN, you get goblins knocked off, you just make more. It's how the deck wins. However, if you play a sideboard with this, I'd add the King to the sideboard maybe for when you go up against mountains though.

Also, you're running 3 Krenkos to make sure you get one early enough to make a difference. Games played with this deck aren't gonna go more than 6 or 7 turns at the most, 4 on an awesome draw, 5 average. You need to have Krenko in your hand on turn 3 or 4 to cast or he's wasted space in the deck. 4 Grenades, 4 War Strikes and 3 Browbeats is overkill, IMO. Again, because you aren't letting the game go that long. On the other hand, only 2 Dragons is good, because if all goes to plan, the Dragon is never needed. It's only role is as a backup win-con.
Also, you're running 3 Krenkos to make sure you get one early enough to make a difference. Games played with this deck aren't gonna go more than 6 or 7 turns at the most, 4 on an awesome draw, 5 average. You need to have Krenko in your hand on turn 3 or 4 to cast or he's wasted space in the deck. 4 Grenades, 4 War Strikes and 3 Browbeats is overkill, IMO. Again, because you aren't letting the game go that long. On the other hand, only 2 Dragons is good, because if all goes to plan, the Dragon is never needed. It's only role is as a backup win-con.

That's what I was thinking, which is why when I was making room I dropped a warstirke. also the Browbeat is mainly for the draw than more damage but now that I think about it would Dangerous Wager(no hand, no drawback) or Wild Guess(on the off chance you have extra land throw them to this) be better?
Not in my opinion, because part of the threat of Browbeat is that early in the game, it's 5 to the face for 3 mana. By the time you cast the 2nd browbeat, when you need some more cards, the other guy can't afford to take the damage, and you get the cards. I would say 90% of the time, that's how it plays. 1st one is damage, 2nd one is cards. And if you never get to the 2nd Browbeat, then all is good, cause it's means you've probably won anyway. Dangerous Wager is, well, dangerous, because of what you might have to discard (Krenko, War Strike, Dragon). Wild Guess may not be THAT bad, but if you try both, I think you'll end up with the Browbeat.

How many decks can gain enough life, fast enough, to keep up with 5 from a Grenade, 5 from a Browbeat, and 3 or 4 swings from a 3 (minimum) power goblin? Normally, Browbeat isn't that potent, but it's secret here is the threat of other direct damage and a hoard of relentless goblins.
I was about to ask where your Horde of Boggarts was in your "Goblin Horde" deck
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Too high CMC for this deal, IMO. Krenko > Boggarts, and by the time you get to cast both, the game should be over. Same with changelings. First strike from the Bloodmark would be cool, but I think it's just unneccesary tech getting in the way of pounding your opponent relentlessly with expendable weenies. This deck wins due to SIMPLICITY. You lose some goblins to combat and removal? MAKE MOAR and keep swinging!
Wait, Rimescale? What am I missing?

Truth is, it should happen something like this: Chieftain in play. Play Krenko. Krenko has haste. Tap Krenko. Tokens have haste. Swing for win, maybe capping with a Grenade. Unless Krenko gets countered outright. Then it's like rinse, repeat.
I usually have 3-4 tokens out by the time Krenko hits. Tapping Krenko usually nets about 6. So you're swinging 10ish goblins on turn 4 or 5, usually pumped up power wise, and a Grenade. This doesn't even assume an awesome draw, just good. No, it's not 100%, but I don't think to say my win ratio with this strategy is 70% would be exaggerating. Mass removal is a huge issue, but you can usually even catch up at that point with Grenades/Browbeats.

I just can't think of a time when I would have 2 extra mana for the Gate. That's 2 mana I can be using to drop another Fodder/Command or War Marshal. Maybe if you lucked into multiple Rites. I count on 1 Rite, and that's even stretching it according to a lot of folks. Its not a bad idea, never tried it before. I have Gates, maybe I'll give it a shot. Can't even think of what I would drop to accomplish that. I'd probably run the Bloodmarks instead anyway. And if someone wants to take out Bloodmark with a removal spell, then go right ahead, that's just a bonus. One less removal spell to hit the important stuff.
Aggravated Assault Insurrection Relentless Assault Rimescale Dragon so there isnt many red at all :/

these aree too high a cost in this deck, Which is why I run the Aggravated Assault in my old Aggro-Elf deck
Bloodmark Mentor can only be good if you're ramping power, so it'd be a good one here. 

Changeling Berserker over any of those Changelings. 
Taurean Mauler was okay in limited and that was only beside Countryside Crusher (who was a main deck).

Boggart Ram-Gang should always be taken into consideration,  as well as Horde of Boggarts.
Specially that last one if you're all about power in numbers here.

First strike is good but Haste is better, I want real goblins here so no changlings, ram-gang doesn't really fit here even though he's good, and the horde is just too much CMC since the only reason I put krenko in is he's just too good.
How many tokens would you expect to have, and if you're not running Dolmen Gate you're nuts. 
For two mana your tokens are indestructible in combat.  Only then might you have enough creatures left once Kreko hits the floor to make enough to swing for a win.

This deck could care less if they die, I've got the gates in my aggro cleric deck as its more important that they live, and I'm not taking them out to put in here cuz they're not really needed.