Budget Izzet Deck Help

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, help me build an Izzet deck without breaking the bank. I have a lot of these cards already, and dropping $20 or $30 to round it out is about as far as I'm willing to go. Here's what I have so far:

This is very preliminary. Here is a list of cards that I have been considering, either for maindeck or sideboard use:

[deck]
1x Charmbreaker Devils
1x Desperate Ravings
1x Runechanter's Pike
1x Dissipate
1x Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1x Burn at the Stake
1x Reforge the Soul
1x Thunderous Wrath
1x Desolate Lighthouse
1x Artful Dodge
1x Curse of Bloodletting
1x Faithless Looting
1x Increasing Vengeance
1x Augur of Bolas
1x Essence Scatter
1x Negate
1x Redirect
1x Sleep
1x Chandra, the Firebrand
1x Magmaquake
1x Staff of Nin
1x Blustersquall
1x Cyclonic Rift
1x Inspiration
1x Mizzium Skin
1x Ash Zealot
1x Goblin Rally
1x Mizzium Mortars
1x Epic Experiment
1x Izzet Charm
1x Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
1x Teleportal[/deck]

The kind of core theme here is an instant/sorcery heavy build to flip Delver and activate Guttersnipe and Talrand. I have included a lot of token-generating sorceries as well, so I really feel like Burn at the Stake and Teleportal could be very good additions to this style of deck, and maybe even a few Goblin Rallys could be ok, too.

I also only own 2x Steam Vents and no Sulfur Falls, but I know the deck needs them. Too much cash, however. I tried running 4 Gates but found that screwed my tempo too much, so I cut them to 2. Should there be 4?

The deck needs draw badly because it runs out of gas way too fast. Advice?

First off:

-1  unsummon
+1 Cyclonic rift

-1 talrand
+1 runechanter's pike

-1 izzet guildgate
+1 desolate lighthouse

-4 flames of the firebrand
+1 mizzium mortars
+1 Desperate ravings
+1 izzet charm
+1 dissipate

Also, I would replace the vexing devils with goblin electromancers (common, should be super cheap), and I would find room for a playset of think twice for more draw power.
If you're running out of gas, try thoughtflare and desperate ravings.  Ravings draws you cards, and gets you 2 triggers off both talrand and guttersnipe.  Thoughtflare also draws, and it's instant speed which is nice (you can pretend that you're running a counterspell, leave unsummon up on their turn in case they try to rancor something, so you can respond and blow them out, you can make a drake in the middle of combat,  or you can just not show them the cards you're pitching on their turn, thus depriving them of information), and you draw 4 cards.  You have to discard cards, but those can be the ones you need the least, like extra lands if you have enough, or desperate ravings for extra value.
I hate dogs.
This deck has evolved into U/R token swarm! Here's an updated list for your review:

11 creatures, 25 instants/sorceries, and 24 lands. I went with the Wilds over the Gates because the tempo loss is the same, but the Wilds thin out the deck a bit. I took out the burn for lots of draw to find the game-winning Teleportal. Thoughts?
Your running thought scour, and the only thing you're okay with milling is Think twice. Cut it.

You're running 10 spells at 4+ mana. 13 if we count an overloaded teleportal. Cut either talrand's invocation or goblin rally to smooth the curve out a bit. Replace with either counters or burn.

I would also strongly recommend replacing a land with that desolate lighthouse you said you owned. It's GOOD. It lets you chuck lands late game for cards that matter.
Your running thought scour, and the only thing you're okay with milling is Think twice. Cut it.

You're running 10 spells at 4+ mana. 13 if we count an overloaded teleportal. Cut either talrand's invocation or goblin rally to smooth the curve out a bit. Replace with either counters or burn.

I would also strongly recommend replacing a land with that desolate lighthouse you said you owned. It's GOOD. It lets you chuck lands late game for cards that matter.

I would just mill the other guy; to me it's about the cheap card draw. Plus 2 dmg if I have Guttersnipe. Plus a 2/2 flier if I have Talrand. If I have both, well then paying U to draw a card, do 2 dmg, and get that 2/2 flier is awesome!

I think you're right about the Goblin Rally, what counters/burn should I go with mainboard? Pillar of Flame? Searing Spear? Dissipate? Syncopate?

And I don't own the Desolate Lighthouse, but I'd like to get some. How many should I run? 2 feels right to me.

I also have a Hallowed Fountain, so I'm gonna try to trade for a 3rd Steam Vents. Izzet is my favorite color combination.
Thought scour is not card draw. It's just a cantrip. It only becomes playable if you run snapcaster (because your milling stuff you can flashback) or runechanter's pike (because the mill powers up the pike). You should really, REALLY run something else over it since you aren't running those cards. Remember, you get extra damage and tokens off of ANY instant/sorecery. That shouldn't be a factor in the decision to run it or not.

3 desperate ravings would fit the deck much better, digging through the deck faster, and having flashback (giving you double the synergy with talrand and sniper). It's really amazing for a deck like this. Just be sure to set them up properly.

If you don't want to play that, then switch it out for mizzium skin. It doesn't draw you a card, but it helps protect your talrands/ guttersnipes. A split between the skin and ravings might be pretty good.

I've been running desolate lighthouse as a one-of with success, but 2 is fine. No more than 2 though.

Replace the Goblin rally with pillar of flame. It's the most relavent burn spell right now that you could play, helping you against zombies and undying stuff. And in a pinch, you can smack a player for 2 to the face, which can be the decider between games you win and games you do not win.
So how about this:

I cut a land because of the lower curve. There are now 11 creatures, 26 instants/sorceries, and 23 lands. The curve looks like this :

1cmc=8
2cmc=15
3cmc=4
4cmc=7
5cmc=3 (I put Teleportal here)

After some playtesting, I have to come to love the draw/discard option on Izzet Charm; it's awesome when you're having any mana issues (I can safely keep 5-land hands if there is a charm there), and now that there are 7 flashback cards, the discard decision isn't so difficult. Teleportal and Guttersnipe are the superstars here, and with all the draw/filter I am finding both consistently. Once I hit land drop 5, it's usually gg.

Am I the only one who thinks an overloaded Teleportal is somewhat broken? With a flipped Delver, a Guttersnipe, two goblin tokens, and two drake tokens out, it hits for 17 unblockable damage. And it curves so well if you get the God-hand:

T1: Delver of Secrets
T2: Krenko's Command
T3: Guttersnipe
T4: Talrand's Invocation
T5: Overload Teleportal, gg.

I am loving this deck!
Now I have to build a sideboard. I'm thinking I will need some Dissipates as an answer to all the Thragtusks out there. Other suggestions?
You're signifigantly overvaluing teleportal. Just saying.

Dissipate, cyclonic rift, mizzium mortars, tormods crypt, and redirect are all good sideboard options.
You're signifigantly overvaluing teleportal. Just saying.

Do you think Burn at the Stake would be better? I went with Teleportal because it's cheaper (financially) and the :U::R: casting cost is much friendlier than the :R::R::R:. I'm running more islands currently because all my 4-drops have :U::U: in the casting cost.
Hey guys,

I think that Teleportal is a nice substitute for Burn at the Stake. They're both sorcery speed. They both leave you open for attack on the next turn, if you 'swing' out with everything. They Both have a 5 cmc BUT Teleportal can be played at a cheaper price if you need to do some damage reaching for some reason...and it works well with only a single creature on the board if for some reason your creatures have been killed.

The only obvious drawback is that it does 'less' damage most of the time since it only gives your creatures a +1/0. Burn at the Stake will usually deal more damage.

Burn at the Stake will deal less damage if you have any creatures with power 3 or more. 
Goblin Electromancer is common(Cheap) it let's you do more things on a turn. It would also let you play Essence backlash for possibly as cheap as an Essence Scatter. I think there is a place for the Electromancer in the main and backlash in the side?

If you backlash a thragtusk that's 5 in the opposite direction for your opponent...

Teleportalling a swarm of 1/1's is about as good as that card can get on a mana cost perspective. You double the power of each 1/1 that probably only cost 1 mana to start.
Sign In to post comments