Mike Mearls on Twitter: Summary Version

EDIT: New posts are added to the thread proper as they appear. I might compile them eventually. However, I did want to make sure that one bit of new news is seen, which is that Next is -NOT- coming out in 2013. I know there was speculation about that depending on how you counted the "two years" but now it's official. Twitter official, which is the most official kind of official.

I've noticed that there's a fair amount of stuff that Mike Mearls says on his Twitter that doesn't filter into the general consciousness of what people talk about on this board, including clarifications on things that are contentious or unpopular. Not everyone uses twitter, so that makes a lot of sense, but Twitter allows Mr. Mearls to say things that are more up-to-date than shows up in the packet and more narrow and focused than make it into columns. I thought it would be nice to have a thread that pulls in the highlights of Mr. Mearls's Twitter, and a place for people to discuss the things. I'll try to keep this post updated. I'm only going back so far in the Twitter history, and I'm only including things directly relevant to D&D Next. Note that this is just Mike Mearls's Twitter account, so it doesn't neccesarily constitute binding statements from the development team or anything. Italics are things he responded to. They're generally in order, but I've rearranged them for clarity in a few places.

November 12
Today's #dndnext play test showed that @wotc_rodney has terrible die rolling skills and that the (redacted)

November 14
Re: monk. What happened with no alignment restrictions like was mentioned with paladin? Togashi is not amused.
We'll ask about it in the surveys - easier to get data by starting with it than asking if it should be added.

I believe that non-prof is supposed to mean disadvantage with the weapon, but not sure if that's in the rules.

Speaking of races, why weren't the Aarkocra done as a PC race for 4e Dark Sun?
I think that it was tricky to balance flying against the other race powers.

If you were to make a new PC race for 5e, what would it be? I'd love a PC Aberrant race myself.
I'd like to see a fae bruiser, something like Shadowrun's trolls.

I'd like to make parry a signature ability for fighters, give them the best defense in the game.

So, the monk was a quick turnaround because it used maneuvers. Don't expect paladin, ranger, or (redactedx3) to use them via class features.

It's likely that maneuvers will end up something that you can gain via feats, somewhat like you can gain spells via feats.

Also, regarding monk alignment restriction - we'll just use feedback to find a direction. Easier to include it and ask for feedback.

I have to admit that whenever we start a new project, I want to give it a name like Project Puppy or Operation Sir Snuggles-A-Lot.

November 17
Why do the current playtest fighter & rogue have so many "dead levels"?
We're not worried about filling them in yet. Feat levels after 1st might remain empty, but otherwise they'll be filled 1 to 10.
Level 11+ is a different beast - don't want to add stuff just for the sake of having stuff.

November 20
Fascinating how much of the playtest feedback can be expressed as, "This mechanic removed a real chance of failure and is thus boring."

Also, the sentiment in the last tweet matches well with one, last bit of violence I'd like to do to skills before locking in the core system

I just had a thought: what does Parry becoming a Fighter feature mean for Protect? Would they be folded into the same ability?
Yes, that could definitely work well. Also toying with ideas for opportunity attacks as more of a special ability.

Missing a lot is also boring.
I think we have attacks about right in terms of character accuracy - most issues are with immunity or stacking check bonuses.

I'm about 80% sure that the fighter and monk will be the only classes that use the dice for combat maneuvers w/o spending feats.
So for most classes, it's just a bonus to damage? Or will they use them for non-combat things?
It's a damage bonus. For non-combat, we have some idea for a change to how skills work.

Also, fighters will have a fighter-only list of maneuvers (same for monks, ki-based maneuvers) and a few unique mechanics.

November 21
Get expertise die at 1st level but don't add ability mod to damage OR add your mod but no expertise dice until 5th. Which do you choose?

Context for my last tweet - playtest data shows that we managed to make a game where fighters are the best class. Damage is very high.

In this world, stat mods apply only to attacks, not to damage. Reasons are in next tweet.

Ability mod to damage unbalances at low levels, is irrelevant at high levels.

@MockingBirdDan: I don't like that the Thief in our group always succeeds on DC20 to 25 skill checks. Please fix this.
A lot of playtesters agree, so that's going to change.

November 24
Working some black magic that will either go over very well or be absolutely hated.

Are races getting a revision soon? They've been the same since packet 1 and I'm not satisfied with the current design.
Yes, once skills are done we'll do another pass on them

November 26
In this week's Legends & Lore @mikemearls gives us some insight into #dndnext class design, focusing in on the paladin! http://ow.ly/fA3N4
no argument here, with the design of the system it seems accurate to design them like this, will ranger be similar?
The ranger will be designed along similar lines, though the big question is how animal companions fit in.
I'd like to look at simply treating the companion as a simpler, second character that gains XP, levels.

I think once you see the paladin, the fighter will still stand out with unique mechanics.

I think your post today confused some peeps. Will Paladins be powered by alignments or by deities?
Player/DM choice - a list of abilities you can pick, samples based on alignment/deity, depending on campaign

November 27
What I want to see in #dndnext: Design guidelines for homebrew spells, races, domains, etc. in the DMG. Doable?
Yes, very doable.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
...huh. That's really informative. Thanks!

The lack of mod on damage is a really interesting notion. I think it might make monsters oddly less threatening (and a few possibly more so). I'm really unsure if people want to roll a lot of dice for damage. It does make sense for what they're trying to do w/ accuracy/damage ratios so I'm not totally opposed to the idea. I'm just super leery.

Glad to hear that races are getting changed some.  
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
Neat! Thanks for the post Lesp. I'm following him now.
My two copper.
Yep, good job.  It does address some of my concerns; others not so much.  However, I do understand the need to prioritize stuff...  We'll see how it pans out. 
November 21
Get expertise die at 1st level but don't add ability mod to damage OR add your mod but no expertise dice until 5th. Which do you choose?

Context for my last tweet - playtest data shows that we managed to make a game where fighters are the best class. Damage is very high.

In this world, stat mods apply only to attacks, not to damage. Reasons are in next tweet.

Only if strength actually has some use in the game instead of being a completely useless stat.  It's already next to useless even with the damage boost.  If not, I'm pretty much out of their market, as they haven't listened to a thing I've said in the feedback.  No expertise until 5th level is absolutely miserable.  That leaves your fighters with no actions other than "I attack.  I attack again.".
November 21

Only if strength actually has some use in the game instead of being a completely useless stat.  It's already next to useless even with the damage boost.  If not, I'm pretty much out of their market, as they haven't listened to a thing I've said in the feedback.  No expertise until 5th level is absolutely miserable.  That leaves your fighters with no actions other than "I attack.  I attack again.".

It's an issue they will have to wrestle with. However, strength adding to attack still makes it a pretty worthwhile stat, but it still could use a little more out of combat usefulness. Just because strength is weak overall, doesn't justify it being overpowered in combat
My two copper.
Mearl's point is that a +3 or +4 static damage is pretty significant at first level, but is pretty irrelevent at, say, tenth level, so the idea is to get rid of it entirely.  It was briefliy mentioned in the Google Hangout video, and I wasn't a fan of the comment then(which was offhand at best, anyway).

Also, I have to say that I do not feel the fighter is the best class in the game.  Their justification seems to be related to damage, but I honestly feel the fighter is pretty terrible, as all its options are related to hitting things with weapons.  It's extremely ho hum and their solution is to take more of that away and replace it with nothing else?  Versatility and usefulness throughout all pillars of gameplay makes for a better character, which the fighter has zero options in non-combat pillars.  I dare say fighter is one of the least effective characters overall, currently.
This is the age of WoW I'm afraid. All anyone cares about is DPS
My two copper.
That may be sealing my fate(and my wallet).  Sealed
I'd like to make parry a signature ability for fighters, give them the best defense in the game.

Fighters already had the best defense in the game.  It was called heavy armor proficiency (which is huge in this edition).  And a d10 hit die, putting them ahead of any other class with heavy armor proficiency.

I do not need or want three separate mechanics to govern the fighter's superior ability to take a hit.  It's fine if they have the best defense (because someone has to), but it shouldn't be that much better than everyone else.

The metagame is not the game.

Fighters already had the best defense in the game.  It was called heavy armor proficiency (which is huge in this edition).  And a d10 hit die, putting them ahead of any other class with heavy armor proficiency.

I do not need or want three separate mechanics to govern the fighter's superior ability to take a hit.  It's fine if they have the best defense (because someone has to), but it shouldn't be that much better than everyone else.

Unless they specifically built for it, and as a result take hits at their ability to do other things, like damage.
This is a great thread.
Thank you for bettering the community.
Viva La "what ever version of D&D you are playing right now!"
I've noticed that there's a fair amount of stuff that Mike Mearls says on his Twitter that doesn't filter into the general consciousness of what people talk about on this board, including clarifications on things that are contentious or unpopular. Not everyone uses twitter, so that makes a lot of sense, but Twitter allows Mr. Mearls to say things that are more up-to-date than shows up in the packet and more narrow and focused than make it into columns. I thought it would be nice to have a thread that pulls in the highlights of Mr. Mearls's Twitter, and a place for people to discuss the things. I'll try to keep this post updated. I'm only going back so far in the Twitter history, and I'm only including things directly relevant to D&D Next. Note that this is just Mike Mearls's Twitter account, so it doesn't neccesarily constitute binding statements from the development team or anything. Italics are things he responded to. They're generally in order, but I've rearranged them for clarity in a few places.

November 12
Today's #dndnext play test showed that @wotc_rodney has terrible die rolling skills and that the (redacted)

November 14
Re: monk. What happened with no alignment restrictions like was mentioned with paladin? Togashi is not amused.
We'll ask about it in the surveys - easier to get data by starting with it than asking if it should be added.

Oh ok, so  they are taking the tact of putting out the most controversial choices in the game out front so they can run off every single player? Sounds like a good strategy Mr. Mearls.

I believe that non-prof is supposed to mean disadvantage with the weapon, but not sure if that's in the rules.

Sure

If you were to make a new PC race for 5e, what would it be? I'd love a PC Aberrant race myself.

Um so basically you are going to make trolls playable? Sure because claw/claw/bite and regeration could never be unbalanced. If you mean just a strong creature, then we have plenty of those with half-orcs, half-ogres, etc...etc...

As opposed to having the best defense in the game already with plate mail and the other classes they share parry with having no armor or leather? Hmm... looks like someone doesn't even know how the game they are designing works.

So, the monk was a quick turnaround because it used maneuvers. Don't expect paladin, ranger, or (redactedx3) to use them via class features.

Expertise Dice are an awesome mechanic and should be used for all martial classes. So now its only going to be on the Fighter and Monk?

"We found this great mechanic that is versatile and everyone loves it, but we are just going to use it on these two classes." Fail. I can see trying to give each class something unique, but keeping the only universally liked system since the play test started with one class... c'mon man, we know your aren't that...

It's likely that maneuvers will end up something that you can gain via feats, somewhat like you can gain spells via feats.

Well that's nice to know, still doesn't change the above. Also if spells can be gained via feats, I'm looking forward to my Dwarven Great Axe Fighter getting Stoneskin and Shield to go along with his plate mail.

Also, regarding monk alignment restriction - we'll just use feedback to find a direction. Easier to include it and ask for feedback.

Yes, lets put out the most controversial choices and see how many potential customers we can run off before 5E goes on sale...

I have to admit that whenever we start a new project, I want to give it a name like Project Puppy or Operation Sir Snuggles-A-Lot.

Ok, there went the last of my respect for Mearls.

November 17
Why do the current playtest fighter & rogue have so many "dead levels"?
We're not worried about filling them in yet. Feat levels after 1st might remain empty, but otherwise they'll be filled 1 to 10.
Level 11+ is a different beast - don't want to add stuff just for the sake of having stuff.

As opposed to you know doing your job and making classes interesting? I know many people that will bail if dead levels are in the game, let alone bad choice levels. "Ooh look I can choose a +1 to damage or Parry, what should I do? what should I do? I just don't know."

November 20
Fascinating how much of the playtest feedback can be expressed as, "This mechanic removed a real chance of failure and is thus boring."

Really? A game anyone can house rule to make impossible or super easy and they are surprised that auto-success is disliked? Maybe they missed the ire that came with the God Wizards and CoDzilla...

Also, the sentiment in the last tweet matches well with one, last bit of violence I'd like to do to skills before locking in the core system

If the core is done at this point, many aren't going to by 5E...

I just had a thought: what does Parry becoming a Fighter feature mean for Protect? Would they be folded into the same ability?
Yes, that could definitely work well. Also toying with ideas for opportunity attacks as more of a special ability.

Yes lets take away the tactical aspect of the game completely and turn it into an old school JRPG where everyone just stands toe to toe and beats on each other...

Missing a lot is also boring.
I think we have attacks about right in terms of character accuracy - most issues are with immunity or stacking check bonuses.

So 70% to 80% accuracy at level 1 is how you WANT the game to play? What? That means you have to spread 30% over 20 levels. Oh and you are stuck in 5% incriments. Have fun with that. Bounded accuracy in this instance is a straight jacket not a bonus.

I'm about 80% sure that the fighter and monk will be the only classes that use the dice for combat maneuvers w/o spending feats.
So for most classes, it's just a bonus to damage? Or will they use them for non-combat things?
It's a damage bonus. For non-combat, we have some idea for a change to how skills work.

Ok, so now we are just giving bonus damage to all non-casters instead of cool things like I don't know MANEUVERS. Seriously put down the pipe...

Also, fighters will have a fighter-only list of maneuvers (same for monks, ki-based maneuvers) and a few unique mechanics.

This is the best thing I have heard for awhile.

November 21

How about starting the weapon attack bonus lower and adding it in so some abilities are not nearly worthless. It also helps with bounded accuracy.

Yeah, and by the way that's not a good thing. You are just shifting the God Wizard complex to the God Fighter. They all need to be balanced...

Uh no, if they only apply to attacks, they still apply to damage. Please hire a mathemitician for the sake of the game. Each bonus point to attack increases average damage by around 5%.

Uh... That's only because of super inflated damage that has no bounds. Its a feature not a bug when my character falls through the floor is getting old.

@MockingBirdDan: I don't like that the Thief in our group always succeeds on DC20 to 25 skill checks. Please fix this.
A lot of playtesters agree, so that's going to change.

November 24
Working some black magic that will either go over very well or be absolutely hated.

Are races getting a revision soon? They've been the same since packet 1 and I'm not satisfied with the current design.

Yeah, pay careful attention to the Human. They don't have any defining feature except better at every ability check, saving throw, or attack in the game. Oh wait...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Lesp, thank you.
This went a long way to keeping my players in their seats and my bile down in my tmi anatomical description .
Would you be willing to keep this updated?

Gratitude either way.
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
Still don't see the value of removing strength from damage
The comments about the fighter maintaining his position as having the best defense are probably justified in light of Mearls' knowledge of forthcoming classes that also have heavy armor proficiency (namely the paladin). There's been people ragging on these tweets non-stop, thinking that Mearls 'doesn't understand his own game' and such, but there's a general failure to realize that we're the most ignorant in terms of what's in the pipeline.

Danny

The comments about the fighter maintaining his position as having the best defense are probably justified in light of Mearls' knowledge of forthcoming classes that also have heavy armor proficiency (namely the paladin). There's been people ragging on these tweets non-stop, thinking that Mearls 'doesn't understand his own game' and such, but there's a general failure to realize that we're the most ignorant in terms of what's in the pipeline.

That's what they said 3 packets ago. We still point out the worst flaws that Mearls brings to the table. Its been proved wrong. If it were true, the latest Rogue wouldn't have happened, and monsters wouldn't be a joke...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.

That's what they said 3 packets ago. We still point out the worst flaws that Mearls brings to the table. Its been proved wrong. If it were true, the latest Rogue wouldn't have happened, and monsters wouldn't be a joke...

They've pointedly stated that they're aiming for the out-of-bounds and seeing how far they can push the game, as well as our expectations, in various directions. They're not aiming for bullseyes, they're feeling out the outer edges of the target. 

Danny

That's what they said 3 packets ago. We still point out the worst flaws that Mearls brings to the table. Its been proved wrong. If it were true, the latest Rogue wouldn't have happened, and monsters wouldn't be a joke...

They've pointedly stated that they're aiming for the out-of-bounds and seeing how far they can push the game, as well as our expectations, in various directions. They're not aiming for bullseyes, they're feeling out the outer edges of the target. 

If you know that, how can you still think that they know what they are doing? They are driving away their customers...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy
If you know that, how can you still think that they know what they are doing? They are driving away their customers...

LOL No they're not. The number of people taking part in the playtest is increasing. They said so themselves.

Danny

If you know that, how can you still think that they know what they are doing? They are driving away their customers...

LOL No they're not. The number of people taking part in the playtest is increasing. They said so themselves.

I gathered from their notes that they lost 20,000 out of 80,000 going from the first packet to the second and then another 20,000 going from packet 2 to 3. Can you link and quote where they say they are getting more?Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

I gathered from their notes that they lost 20,000 out of 80,000 going from the first packet to the second and then another 20,000 going from packet 2 to 3. Can you link and quote where they say they are getting more?

Can you link and quote where you got your numbers?

Oh, and check this out: www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

Here is the line of interest: "Second, the number of players participating in the playtest steadily increases."
Expertise Dice are an awesome mechanic and should be used for all martial classes. So now its only going to be on the Fighter and Monk?

"We found this great mechanic that is versatile and everyone loves it, but we are just going to use it on these two classes." Fail. I can see trying to give each class something unique, but keeping the only universally liked system since the play test started with one class... c'mon man, we know your aren't that...

Expertise Dice are not maneuvers, so I think you leaping to conclusions. During the google hangout they mention something about not giving everyone with expertise dice maneuvers. Will have to wait and see how they plan to use expertise dice for classes without maneuvers. Hopefully other classes will not turn out to be like the 1st packet rogue where they had all of two ability that can make use of them.

Big Model: Creative Agenda
Love 4e? Concerned about its future? join the Old Guard of 4th Edition
Reality Refracted: Social Contracts

My blog of random stuff 

Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke

I gathered from their notes that they lost 20,000 out of 80,000 going from the first packet to the second and then another 20,000 going from packet 2 to 3. Can you link and quote where they say they are getting more?

Here is the line of interest: "Second, the number of players participating in the playtest steadily increases."

Nevermind apparently they are claiming the numbers are increasing instead of how we keep hearing of people quitting on the forum. Someone was quoting them and said the numbers I showed. Apparently they didn't know what they were talking about. This is why everyone should be asked to cite their sources.

"Second, the number of players participating in the playtest steadily increases. This is another important area that ensures our results aren't skewed over time. We don't learn much if people are happier and more positive over time but lots of people are leaving the playtest. That just means we're keeping the happy people and driving off the unhappy ones. It's good to see that's not happening. If you're mad about how we screwed something up, thank you for sticking around."
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

Um, yeah, despite nobody in the entire state here still running a PT group. They might not have gone and clicked on "I quit" but how many are actually running playtests? Good luck even finding 3 people around here who will bother. People have moved on. Of course they are going to WATCH the train wreck, but that doesn't mean they're INTERESTED.
That is not dead which may eternal lie

Expertise Dice are not maneuvers, so I think you leaping to conclusions. During the google hangout they mention something about not giving everyone with expertise dice maneuvers. Will have to wait and see how they plan to use expertise dice for classes without maneuvers. Hopefully other classes will not turn out to be like the 1st packet rogue where they had all of two ability that can make use of them.

No they said they are only going to use ED for damage increases. So I'm not leaping to conclusions...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

Um, yeah, despite nobody in the entire state here still running a PT group. They might not have gone and clicked on "I quit" but how many are actually running playtests? Good luck even finding 3 people around here who will bother. People have moved on. Of course they are going to WATCH the train wreck, but that doesn't mean they're INTERESTED.

Well apparently they claim they are gaining people to the play test, but I've seen reports that people are having trouble logging in and have to re-signup. More people are still signed up but aren't filling out the surveys any more. I'd like to see the number of people that have filled out the surveys each time...Smile
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

Well apparently they claim they are gaining people to the play test, but I've seen reports that people are having trouble logging in and have to re-signup. More people are still signed up but aren't filling out the surveys any more. I'd like to see the number of people that have filled out the surveys each time...

Ultimately we don't know. I mean I'm signed up. I download packets. I might even play in a game assuming there was one anywhere within a reasonable distance, but there isn't. The couple PT games that I did play in early on folded up a couple months ago. This all just personal observation though, who can say about the rest of the world or how Mike is measuring or as of when his statement applies.

Honestly though it seems unlikely that numbers are growing. I mean it has been a good long while since the PT started. In ANY endeavor it is hard to get people to keep at it over time. Chances are all the most interested people heard about it and signed up right away. Just sheer probability is that some will leave and who's likely to replace them, people that didn't bother to sign up 9 months ago? I dunno, it just doesn't pass my basic test of what's realistic, unless the number of playtest signups was REALLY small to start with. If 80k is a real number though that doesn't seem right. Practically every active RPGer out there would have to be playing DDN and I'm sorry but I find that incredible.
That is not dead which may eternal lie
You know what would be really nice?  If they said some of this stuff in the actual playtest packets.  Particularly the alignment restriction thing, if there had been a little box next to it that said "This is something we're throwing in just to see how people react.  Please give us your feedback on its inclusion, and if you don't like it, we'll be sure to take it out of the final game."  That might have prevented several hundred posts on the forum, and quite possibly several playtesters just walking away as the final sign they were being ignored.  

That said, I don't fully buy this "feeling out the extremes" business.  For instance, we started with a rogue that wasn't as good in combat as the fighter but had a niche that he could exploit if he really tried.  Then they took away that niche in a giant F you to everyone who doesn't like rogues as skill monkeys, because that's all they are in the current playtest packet.  Skill monkeys with a few tools to help them run away in a fight (but they can run away so much better than anyone else!).  I get that you can characterize that as feeling out the extreme, seeing how people react to a rogue that has no purpose but to be a skill monkey.  But honestly, what value does that data have?  Seing how far you can push it in that direction is a pretty useless factoid if you're actually planning to push it in the other direction (the direction I and many others think it needs to go).  Feel free to point out what I'm missing, but I just don't see the value in it.  If you're planning on pushing it that way, I can see why it might be valuable to overshoot and then come back, but if you're planning on pushing it the other way altogether?  And if it's only valuable if you're pushing it in that general direction, then sure we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the magnitude of the intended shift, but aren't we entitled to believe that that's the direction they want to push things?  Especially when all the communications coming out of WotC confirm that that's the role they envision for the rogue?  

Nevermind apparently they are claiming the numbers are increasing instead of how we keep hearing of people quitting on the forum. Someone was quoting them and said the numbers I showed. Apparently they didn't know what they were talking about. This is why everyone should be asked to cite their sources.

"Second, the number of players participating in the playtest steadily increases. This is another important area that ensures our results aren't skewed over time. We don't learn much if people are happier and more positive over time but lots of people are leaving the playtest. That just means we're keeping the happy people and driving off the unhappy ones. It's good to see that's not happening. If you're mad about how we screwed something up, thank you for sticking around."

Thank you for admitting that you were wrong.  That is very mature of you.

And yes, it would be nice if people cited their sources.  Perhaps you will remember that next time.

Same quote I intended to cite.

It can't be stated enough that these forums are in absolutely no way reflective of the D&D community at large. -- At all.

Danny

Certainly WotC could try to mislead with statements about the size of the playtest, but I don't see what advantage they gain by lying. The developers are on their last straw and will likely be seeking employment elsewhere if D&D next goes down the drain, it seems like they have every incentive to be honest. 

I am quite impressed that WotC is trying targetting less than 10% disapproval on any topic before considering it complete. That is a high bar and given how far apart gamers views are on D&D a really ambitious goal. 

Finally, IMO this forum is not really a great litmus test of the views of their stated target audience(players of all editions). It is representative of a specific segment which means that the results of the 80+ thousand playtest surveys probably represent a better view of the D&D audience then this forums regular 50ish posters. Now if the number of playtest survey responses are going down, I would consider that very bad news for D&D next. However, Mearls doesn't really mention that in his article which could mean he is being misleading about the increase in playtesters. I guess only time will tell on that one.

Thank you for admitting that you were wrong.  That is very mature of you.

And yes, it would be nice if people cited their sources.  Perhaps you will remember that next time.

Yes, when presented with actual facts I do admit when I'm wrong. I also ran across that on my own in the process of looking for the 80k numbers...
1-4E play style
Stormwind Fallacy

Um so basically you are going to make trolls playable? Sure because claw/claw/bite and regeration could never be unbalanced. If you mean just a strong creature, then we have plenty of those with half-orcs, half-ogres, etc...etc...

Over-analysis. I created a Fay Troll NPC in 3e. Quite easy to make. Easy to balance. No big deal really. 

As opposed to having the best defense in the game already with plate mail and the other classes they share parry with having no armor or leather? Hmm... looks like someone doesn't even know how the game they are designing works.

Yeah... Why cant a Mage parry with staff?

You really think Maneuvers are a great mechanic? Still too much of a WIP IMO though I would agree that it should be for every class.

Yes, lets put out the most controversial choices and see how many potential customers we can run off before 5E goes on sale...

That is not a controversial choice. At least not in my book and I actually care about this stuff. 

Yes lets take away the tactical aspect of the game completely and turn it into an old school JRPG where everyone just stands toe to toe and beats on each other...

Double Over-analysis. Adding some variables to AoO isnt going to turn the game into a blob (the stand around JRPG combat). I could make an argument as to why it would be less of a blob.

So 70% to 80% accuracy at level 1 is how you WANT the game to play? What? That means you have to spread 30% over 20 levels. Oh and you are stuck in 5% incriments. Have fun with that. Bounded accuracy in this instance is a straight jacket not a bonus.

Ok, so now we are just giving bonus damage to all non-casters instead of cool things like I don't know MANEUVERS. Seriously put down the pipe...

Uh oh. If we are agreeing too much something is wrong. I am the guy that wants to give combat maneuvers to mages though lol. This looks like a set up for 4e sword mage Paladin and wonder cleric. Ooooh we already have wonder cleric.  

This is the best thing I have heard for awhile.

Even that carries issues. I dont want the Fighter hording maneuvers that any able bodied adventurer can do like the jab.  Im for a large list of general maneuvers/called shot/improvisation skills.

That is not a controversial choice. At least not in my book and I actually care about this stuff.

>alignment restrictions
>not a controversial choice

Pffftahahaahaha

>alignment restrictions
>not a controversial choice

Pffftahahaahaha

Yes the silent majority needs to speak up!!!! I would prefer a non-chaotic restriction to the lawful requirement for the Monk but its hardly on the radar. I could give three damns. On top of that I dont care if females and halflings cant crack 17str, if you need an 8 or better to learn arcane magic etc etc. The worse restriction in the game is casting in armor and nobody seems to care about that.  

Don't you hear that majority that agrees with me?  I mean, they're silent, so I can see why you wouldn't, but I swear that my preferences are the way everybody wants the game to be!
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

There were 3 playtests that went down last week in my area :P Good thing you have a solid tally of everyone's interests
My two copper.

Shadowrun Trolls aren't like that. They're big, strong, and tough but not particularly more so than, say, 4e Dragonborn or 3e Goliaths. Though someone should point out to Mike that they aren't Fae either.

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead. Playing: Legendof Five Rings, The One Ring, Fate Core. Planning: Lords in the Eastern Marches, Runequest in Glorantha. 

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">Are races getting a revision soon? They've been the same since packet 1 and I'm not satisfied with the current design.

pleasemakeracesnotsuck,pleasemakeracesnotsuck,pleasemakeracesnotsuck

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!

Don't forget he is referring to Shadowrun/Earthdawn Trolls, not D&D Trolls. Trolls in Shadowrun don't have natural attacks like claw and bite, so they use melee and ranged weapons like any other. And they do not feature regeneration either. They are actually pretty similar to D&D Goliaths. They feature high strength and constitution and maybe a natural armor bonus. 

Shadowrun/Earthdawn Trolls have no special vulnerability to fire and they are really massive while D&D Trolls are quite skinny. That's why he calls them "fey bruiser" instead of trolls.

Shadowrun races (left to right): Dwarf, Troll, Human, Orc, Elf
aaronmritchey.com/wp-content/uploads/201...