Does ongoing damage stop when you're dying?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
We've always played where it goes away when you die; but we're starting to question that because we can't actually find a rule regarding it (one way or another).

Thanks 

Nope.  It keeps on ticking, inexorably marching toward negative bloodied.
Okey doke!  Thanks so much 

Its worth mentioning however that "when you go unconscious conditions like dazed, ongoing, slowed etc fall off" is a very common house-rule.  I personally use it in every one of my games (both as a player and DM).  At least I think the game I just joined uses that rule....
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I don't know  for others but i play and DM with multiple groups both in person and online and i have never heard it before so i don't know how commun this houserule is.
i play and DM with multiple groups both in person and online and i have never heard it before

ditto.

I don't really know if it is a house rule or not, but when my characters die, yes ongoing damage goes away.  So if they are raised by some mechanic they do not have ongoing damage, but when a character is dying in my games they do still suffer ongoing damage.  I do house rule (or not idk) that when a combat is over all effects ongoing, dazed, etc end.  No one wants to sit there after the encounter is over and aid another and what not while the player rolls repeatedly until all effects are gone, so they just end at the end of the encounter.
When you DIE (i.e. fail 3 DSTs or hit -bloodied) all effects on you cease - because YOU cease.  When you become unconscious due to going below 0HP, all effects on you continue per their normal durations, which means ongoing damage can easily kill you.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Effects last until they run their durations as per Conditions Durations. Some effects will still persist after death.

For exemple: If you are on grabbed until the end of the Perython's next turn , the Grabbed condition won't go away simply because you die.

Effects last until they run their durations as per Conditions Durations. Some effects will still persist after death.

For exemple: If you are on grabbed until the end of the Perython's next turn , the Grabbed condition won't go away simply because you die.

Or a more blatent example - if you are petrified (no save/no duration) and then die, you don't automatically become fleshy again.
Or a more blatent example - if you are petrified (no save/no duration) and then die, you don't automatically become fleshy again.

What about if it does have a "save ends" duration? Has it ever been defined whether a dead character can continue to make saving throws?

What about if it does have a "save ends" duration? Has it ever been defined whether a dead character can continue to make saving throws?

Nothing says you don't?
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
If a creature is destroyed, it has no turns so it cant make saves at the end of it though.. 

RC 198 The Structure of a Turn: Of course, If a creature is destroyed, it has no turns!

If a creature is destroyed, it has no turns so it cant make saves at the end of it though.. 

RC 198 The Structure of a Turn: Of course, If a creature is destroyed, it has no turns!

Find me an equivalence that says "destroyed" is synonymous with "dead" - and then justify that rule in the face of things like the epic powers that are usable while dead and raise you and put you back in the turn order without re-rolling init, and that might be a good hard rule.

As is, that's much closer to a soft "why would you bother, there is nothing that can matter?" suggestion, like how if you have +10 to a saving throw your die roll is irrelevant and thus there's no point to bothering to drop that D20 - but if there was something that happened when someone "rolls a save", it would still trigger on you.

Anyway.  The situation of something being dead and yet still having a relevant Save Ends effect on it is so rare that it's really easy to handle case-by-case.  And since "Save Ends" is and has always been nothing more than a timing mechanic to tell how long powers last, it's easy enough to say "Well, that effect still ends when the dice say it should, even if the person who was supposed to roll those dice is gone"
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Find me an equivalence that says "destroyed" is synonymous with "dead"

FWIW In the absence of proper game definition for it, Dictionary.com has:

Destroyedverb (used with object)
1. to reduce (an object) to useless fragments, a useless form, orremains, as by rending, burning, or dissolving; injure beyondrepair or renewal; demolish; ruin; annihilate.
2. to put an end to; extinguish.
3. to kill; slay.
4. to render ineffective or useless; nullify; neutralize; invalidate.
5. to defeat completely.
In actual play its much closer to:  

''Dead creatures don't take turn anymore, unless a game element let them do otherwise''
Find me an equivalence that says "destroyed" is synonymous with "dead"

FWIW In the absence of proper game definition for it, Dictionary.com has:

Destroyedverb (used with object)
1. to reduce (an object) to useless fragments, a useless form, orremains, as by rending, burning, or dissolving; injure beyondrepair or renewal; demolish; ruin; annihilate.
2. to put an end to; extinguish.
3. to kill; slay.
4. to render ineffective or useless; nullify; neutralize; invalidate.
5. to defeat completely.

Going to the dictionary for game terms is a non-starter.

In actual play its much closer to:  

''Dead creatures don't take turn anymore, unless a game element let them do otherwise''

See, THAT I have no argument with.  And I am happy to say "there is a timing element that still matters even though the creature doing the ticking is dead, so it keeps ticking on his turn even though his turn is otherwise irrelevant."

Going to the dictionary for game terms is a non-starter.

You kidding right ? Something like 97% of the words used in the game are only found in the dictionary. 

A game term is a term defined in the game system. For terms not defined in the game system you must rely on dictionary if you want to have any semblant of functionality...

Are you saying reducing an object, a summoned creature or a familiar to 0 hit points or using Dispel Magic on a Conjuration (just to name a few exemples out of many) has no effect because destroyed is not explicitly defined in the rules ?

RC 176 Object Defense and Hit Points: An object reduced to 0 hit points is destroyed or otherwise rendered useless

RC 120 Hit Points: The summoned creature’s maximum hit points equal the summoner’s bloodied value. When the summoned creature drops to 0 hit points, it is destroyed, and the summoner loses a healing surge.

HoTF 131 Hit Points and Dying: Your familiar has 1 hit point, but a missed attack never damages it. If your familiar drops to 0 hit points, it is destroyed

PHB 162 Dispel Magic: The conjuration or zone is destroyed.

See, THAT I have no argument with.  And I am happy to say "there is a timing element that still matters even though the creature doing the ticking is dead, so it keeps ticking on his turn even though his turn is otherwise irrelevant."

Me too, but all i am saying it that the rules say a destroyed creature has no turns, not that it has a turn but cant take it or that its irrevelant. 

In practice, when creatures are destroyed, most people generally knock them off the initiative anyway...

Sign In to post comments