Defender deck

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
 I pulled Axebane Guardian and fell in love with it. so ive been playing around with ideas for a defender deck. I was wondering what others had in mind. Lets assume for the sake of conversation this deck would be for modern format In a casual setting.

Red/Green: Use axebane guardian, gatecreeper vine, Primal Clay, and wall of fire to hide behind while ramping for huge fireballs and volcanic geysers and rapid fire cheap burn spells. Rampant growth is obviously a must, and Battle Hymn the problem I see is that gatecreeper vine is a classic case or something being mediocre at two things instead of good at one a 0/2 he cant even stop a zombie token without buying the farm. . with burn spells as my offense, i need the mana split to favor red probably with 14 mountains 6 forests. Dual lands will help buy unfortunatley my money tree died.

If you're running a Defender deck, there are a few things you need to watch out for.  Your biggest problem is that the decks are generally slow in generating win conditions, leaving your opponent able to bring out creatures big enough to take down the walls you put up or sneak through the cracks with Intimidate or some other kind of evasion.  I don't know of any Defender-based deck without Doorkeeper in it.  The stalling mill archetype does give you a bit of an advantage.  

Another great wall is Norn's Annex.  It's great against most opponents, even if they're running white, because it forces them to use their mana up attacking rather than summoning.  Another interesting one is Cathedral Membrane which can essentially revenge kill anything that dares attack it.  The best part of these is that you can choose the splash white or just pay the Phyrexian cost, but they're worthwhile nonetheless.
Also, if you're splashing white, Rolling Stones is a must.
Overgrown Battlement would almost be mandatory for this kind of thing, so that you have 8 defender rampers.
Vent Sentinel is an on theme wincon that also helps with the mana provided be Guardian and the Battlement, but has the drawback of taking a few turns to actually kill the opponent regardless of how much mana you have.
Comet Storm is a strong Fireball-esque spell that's also instant speed, and can gain card advantage by using it on multiple creatures. If your mana starts to really get crazy you can even one-shot multiple opponents in multiplayer.
Banefire is another option that would allow you to not have to worry about pesky counterspells.
Green Sun's Zenith allows you to search for your crucial ramping walls.
Carven Caryatid helps with the ramp, is a fairly sturdy defender and cantrips. I'd recommend Wall of Blossoms, but if you're trying to keep it modern legal that's out.

You can always ramp into some ginormous fatty for your wincon, but some people loathe Emmy in casual circles, so whether or not that's a viable wincon would depend on your group. Of course, if you want to annoy your circle you can go with Staff of Domination which provides infinite mana/life/card draw if you get a wall that can produce 5+ mana.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Another great wall is Norn's Annex.  It's great against most opponents, even if they're running white, because it forces them to use their mana up attacking rather than summoning.  Another interesting one is Cathedral Membrane which can essentially revenge kill anything that dares attack it.  The best part of these is that you can choose the splash white or just pay the Phyrexian cost, but they're worthwhile nonetheless.

While it has a 'wall-like' effect, Norn's Annex isn't technically a wall. The issue with it in a defender deck is that your opponent can more or less ignore it - they'll attack you if they gain something out of that 2 life payment (2 or more damage to you, or making you lose a wall in blocking), or they just won't attack - but your walls are already there so that attacking is usually pointless. ^^

Rolling Stones is only useful if you have some way to make your defea bit more offensive, like Doran, the Siege Tower or, I dunno, Twisted Image. Most walls don't exactly have much power. It also won't have any interaction with the non-wall defenders in the deck.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O

While it has a 'wall-like' effect, Norn's Annex isn't technically a wall. The issue with it in a defender deck is that your opponent can more or less ignore it - they'll attack you if they gain something out of that 2 life payment (2 or more damage to you, or making you lose a wall in blocking), or they just won't attack - but your walls are already there so that attacking is usually pointless. ^^

Rolling Stones is only useful if you have some way to make your defea bit more offensive, like Doran, the Siege Tower or, I dunno, Twisted Image. Most walls don't exactly have much power. It also won't have any interaction with the non-wall defenders in the deck.

Yeah, I just realized that.  I guess I got it confused with Cathedral Membrane.  And it's good in that it prevents your opponent from attacking with weenie cards.  Most decks at this point are massive swings with tokens and weak monsters.  Attacking 10 times is effectively a wincon, and if you use multiple Norn's Annexes, it stacks.  Imagine 2 Norn's, each attack they do, it's either 4 life or 2 mana.  They can't attack AND play creatures and the mana is needed to bring out the big guns.  By reducing the speed at which they bring out larger sweeper creatures, you're gaining more and more of an advantage since the casting cost of defenders is comparatively under par.

Also, might I suggest Ensnaring Bridge?
In a CASUAL setting, you could concievably use Axebane Guardian and Gatecreeper Vine to eventually have enough mana for a Door to Nothingness win.  I know of one deck that follows this strategy and is constantly working at it.

A friend has a WGR defender deck that uses Axebane, Vent Sentinel, and a few other walls with acceptable power and then animates them with Wakestone Gargoyle.  His deck only wins through overextending - fortunately for him, sweepers are not prevalent in our area.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I have my own defender deck that focuses on using Door to Nothingness to win. Here's the list:
(Sorry for the weird MS Word Formatting)

10 [c]Forest

2 Terramorphic Expanse

4 Evolving Wilds

2 Island

2 Plains

20 lands

Axebane Guardian
4 Carven Caryatid

4 Overgrown Battlement

4 Wall of Omens

3 Stalwart Shield-Bearers

4 Wall of Vines

4 Wall of Tanglecord

24 Creatures

4 Biomantic Mastery

4 Door to Nothingness

4 Swiftfoot Boots

4 Negate

16 Other spells

Sideboard

0 Sideboard cards

I run a RWG Wall deck with Rolling Stones and Coat of Arms. Hey, look, all of the old school walls have the creature type of "Wall", ain't that a thing?

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Why don't you run Wakestone Gargoyle in it's place?

Because it isn't a Wall, duh.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Sign In to post comments