Silklash Spider + Lifelink but no flying creatures - will Lifelink still work?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

I really hope you can help me and my friends with this situation.

I had a Silklash Spider on the battlefield and enchanted it with Lifelink (Mark of the Vampire).

Variable ColorlessGreenGreen: Silklash Spider deals X damage to each creature with flying.

I was of the opinion that I could activate this effect without any flying creatures on the battlefield, so I can benefit from Lifelink.

My friends believe that because there are no flying creatures on the battlefield, no damage can be done and therefore I would gain no life.

I am of the opinion that damage is being done but it cannot be applied to anything, which leads me to believe that Lifelink is triggered...

702.14b Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller, or its owner if it has no controller, to gain that much life (in addition to any other results that damage causes). See rule 119.3.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the word "dealt". I think it means to throw out damage, regardless of whether it can be applied objects and/or sources. Does it mean where damage is successfully applied to objects and/or sources?

My friends won't accept an answer that doesn't come from a WOTC employee, so whilst this may be unlikely, any other facts/opinions are welcome.

Thank you
Hi everyone,

I really hope you can help me and my friends with this situation.

I had a Silklash Spider on the battlefield and enchanted it with Lifelink (Mark of the Vampire).

: Silklash Spider deals X damage to each creature with flying.

I was of the opinion that I could activate this effect without any flying creatures on the battlefield, so I can benefit from Lifelink.

My friends believe that because there are no flying creatures on the battlefield, no damage can be done and therefore I would gain no life.

I am of the opinion that damage is being done but it cannot be applied to anything, which leads me to believe that Lifelink is triggered...

702.14b Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller, or its owner if it has no controller, to gain that much life (in addition to any other results that damage causes). See rule 119.3.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the word "dealt". I think it means to throw out damage, regardless of whether it can be applied objects and/or sources. Does it mean where damage is successfully applied to objects and/or sources?

My friends won't accept an answer that doesn't come from a WOTC employee, so whilst this may be unlikely, any other facts/opinions are welcome.

Thank you

To deal damage means that you actually have to inflict damage on something.  If there are no flying creatures, you can activate the ability, but no damage is dealt and so you gain no life.

If there are two flying creatures, it'll deal X damage to each of those, so you'll gain 2 * X life.

If there's one flying creatures, it'll deal X damage to it, so you'll gain 1 * X life.

If there are zero flying creatures, it'll deal X damage to each of those (i.e. to nothing), so you'll gain 0 * X life.
what if the flying creatures have protection from green?

What if the opponent uses a 'prevent 3 damage' instant to save the flying creature?

damage that is prevented is not dealt, and will not cause lifegain
proud member of the 2011 community team
1. One of the benefits of protection is that all damage that would be dealt to it by sources of that type is prevented. So the damage the Spider would deal to the pro: green flyer is prevented.

2. Similiar situation. If you use X of 3 or less, then the damage that would be dealt to the flyer is prevented. If X is 4 or more, then three of the damage is prevented, but the rest will be dealt. So if you use X=5 and I prevent the next three that would be dealt to the creature, then 2 damage would be dealt to the creature.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

what if the flying creatures have protection from green?

What if the opponent uses a 'prevent 3 damage' instant to save the flying creature?

If the damage is prevented, then it isn't dealt.  Lifelink only counts damage that is dealt.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.
If you use 5GG, and but the flying creature is 3/3, you still 'dealt 5 damage', so you would gain 5 life.  Correct?
correct
MTG Rules Advisor