Roleplaying Games

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
"Why here?" I can mods all ask.

Because this is about roleplaying games (RPGs) as roleplaying games, not the hobby/industry or any individual title. It's about RPGs as a concept, an idea, a meme.

So the first question to answer is; what is a roleplaying game?

The first thing to look at is what you do in an RPG. According to one correspondent of mine, in an RPG you play a role in a world created by the moderator (I prefer "moderator" to "master" because what he really does is moderate play in the game). She call this "storytelling", which is not the most accurate thing you can call it. In one business, which involves a lot of roleplaying, it is called "acting". In most any RPG you are playing a role, pretending to be someone else; in short, acting. Maybe not all that deeply or consistently, but even if it's only you in a different realm, you're still acting.

In this an RPG has a lot in common in a show on TV, a movie, or a stage play. Only in those cases the cast follows (mostly) a script produces by a writer or team or writers (there are ad libs, as in Ghostbusters, which you should look up to find out what the ad-lib was). Ad-libs aside the actors recite the lines written by the writers. Stage plays etc are a type of storytelling, because the story has been written down.

Improvisational theater could be considered a type of roleplaying game, because the cast uses a situation devised by a writer, but then play things out according to their whim. Very often (especially with Moliere) things can get rather confusing and very often the author needs to haul in a Deus ex Machina (act of God) to straighten things out.

The children's game of "Let's Pretend" is lot like improvisational theater, but more spontaneous. The children agree on a scenario (or one is imposed by the dominant child), and they act as they understand adults to act in such situations. Sometimes the portrayal can be devastatingly accurate.

These games have assumed rules, not explicit. You play your role as you understand adults playing their's, and you follow the rules of society, as you understand them.

Roleplaying games are, to a great extent, much like improvisational theater and "let's pretend", but with two major differences. the addition of explicit rules (rules, that is, written down), and a moderator or guide. (Dungeon Master, Game Master, Lore Master, Journey Master, even Story Teller have all been used. I suspect there are many more.) The role of the moderator/guide is to present an imaginary world filled with imaginary characters and creatrures and events to the players, who assume the role of imaginary persons living in this imaginary world. The rules are there to keep things from getting out of order, and to keep the players from doing things the world does not allow for. (Like flying with an anvil in the real world. Just the anvil mind you.)

Yes, there are RPGs out there with no designated moderator, but they do have rules. And it can be assumed that the players will share the duty of moderator among themselves, at least until one player assumes control and acts as a de factor mod.

Yes, there are elements STGs and RPGs have in common, but those elements do not make RPGs STGs in more than the most superficial ways. It's like saying an acorn worm is like a squirrel because they both have elements in common (look up "phyla" sometime).

And that will take care of our look at RPGs. In another thread we'll be looking at story elements in roleplaying games, and how RPGs are a lot like improvisational theater.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
Yeah, no. You may want to find a more appropriate forum to put this in. The OTT isn't really the place for gaming stuff. I'm not sure where it would go since there doesn't seem to be a general gaming section. I mean, there is the 4E general and 5E general forums, but I'm not sure they would want this there either. 

Maybe you should start a thread in comBus and ask where you can put these types of threads. They are really out of place here in the OTT. You're more than likely to attract people who will derail your thread instead. 
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
There's an RPG General? Hmmm... maybe you should link it up, homie.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Yeah, no. You may want to find a more appropriate forum to put this in. The OTT isn't really the place for gaming stuff. I'm not sure where it would go since there doesn't seem to be a general gaming section. I mean, there is the 4E general and 5E general forums, but I'm not sure they would want this there either. 

Maybe you should start a thread in comBus and ask where you can put these types of threads. They are really out of place here in the OTT. You're more than likely to attract people who will derail your thread instead. 

Small problem, this is not about roleplaying games themselves, but about roleplaying games as idea. It is as an idea that this topic fits into the off-topic forum because we are not talking about individual games but the idea of roleplaying games. Is this clear.

First you have "buffalo" the animal. Then you have "buffalo" the idea. This clarify matters?
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.

Small problem, this is not about roleplaying games themselves, but about roleplaying games as idea. It is as an idea that this topic fits into the off-topic forum because we are not talking about individual games but the idea of roleplaying games. Is this clear.

First you have "buffalo" the animal. Then you have "buffalo" the idea. This clarify matters?

/Le sigh...
No, Broman Planski, this thread is still better off in another forum. You are still talking about roleplaying games. As the cat pointed out, RPG General or What's a DM to do? are better options for this type of thread... unless you want to talk about roleplaying sexy times. That would be perfectly on topic in the OTT. 

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

/Le sigh...
No, Broman Planski, this thread is still better off in another forum. You are still talking about roleplaying games. As the cat pointed out, RPG General or What's a DM to do? are better options for this type of thread... unless you want to talk about roleplaying sexy times. That would be perfectly on topic in the OTT. 

Sorry, but this thread is off topic for those fora. It doesn't fit. Now, do you think you have anything to say about the topic in question, or is your mellow too harshed for you to continue?
Sorry, but this thread is off topic for those fora. It doesn't fit. Now, do you think you have anything to say about the topic in question, or is your mellow too harshed for you to continue?

First, what does that even mean?
Second, yes, I have a lot to say about roleplaying sexytime. Now, do you prefer to get dressed up while roleplaying sexytime?

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Do the dishes. Don't ask why, just do the dishes.  Let your unconscious do the work instead of overburdening your conscious.

Do the dishes. Don't ask why, just do the dishes.  Let your unconscious do the work instead of overburdening your conscious.

Oh... you're one of those misguided souls that believes in the unconscious/subconscious construct. Yeah, those things are just excuses for people who don't know any better to explain things they don't understand. 

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Now, do you prefer to get dressed up while roleplaying sexytime?

I do.
I wear stockings with heels.

You?

I've been looking for a pair of leather chaps. Too bad EE isn't around to ask him for advice on where to get a good quality pair.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

Oh... you're one of those misguided souls that believes in the unconscious/subconscious construct. Yeah, those things are just excuses for people who don't know any better to explain things they don't understand. 

You are obtuse.
Now, do you prefer to get dressed up while roleplaying sexytime?

I do.
I wear stockings with heels.

You?

I've been looking for a pair of leather chaps. Too bad EE isn't around to ask him for advice on where to get a good quality pair.

Leather chaps are cool.
Do you think they make leather kilts?

A quick Google search says yes.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

You are obtuse.

so, you are one of those misguided people? 

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
What does a slow Goggle search say?

It doesn't say much. It does, however, make the CoC feel very uneasy.

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Greetings,

Please refrain from posting content in a thread for the sole purpose of attacking others. We do not condone this sort of behaviour on our forums. This thread is beginning to derail off topic and if continues, I will be forced to lock it . Bear in mind that baiting is against the Code of Conduct

Please keep the conversation civil and above all else, fun.

Thanks,