Story Telling Games

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
There is a big brou-ha-ha about what storytelling games are and aren't. I tried a search on Google, only to find most of their leads unreliable. Especially the Wikipedia entry. Then I found Storytelling Games, where the webmaster, one eldrberry by nom de web, provides introductions to STGs or various sorts. He also includes RPGs, but he starts with story games per se (where the players do tell a story) and goes on to improf and card games.

The purpose of a storytelling game (STG) is to tell a story. Start with a situation and various elements, then the players take turns using that situation and those elements to compose a story. Each player after the first takes what his predecessor has done and continues with it, changes it, or brings it to a conclusion.

He also includes improvisational theater and roleplaying games, though strictly they are something else entirely. On a different board on respondent point out what players in an RPG do during a session. She was right, so far as it goes, but she misidentified what the players do.

What players in an RPG do is not storytelling, what players in an RPG do is acting. They are playing a role, that is what acting is. When you, should you happen to be a mother, play your role as mother, you are acting.

I suspect that the first people to call RPGs storytelling had no idea what it was they were doing, so they fixed on the first thing that came to mind that they, sort of, understood. Yet if you look at an RPG, and you consult people in the theater, it will soon come to your attention that as your Character wanders down that musty old hall in that musty old chauteau, hunting those musty old ghouls, that he is acting; playing a part.

But look up Storytelling Games and follow the leads he provides, especially under Games Without Equipment and Card Games (Atlas Games is mentioned). I hope you find something to keep your group happily storytelling till the commuters come home.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
Some people insist on ice skating up a hill.
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Were I an admin a certain two people would be taking a 2 week vacation from these boards.
One dagger is a plot point. A thousand daggers is inventory. Thank you for disrailing this thread.
Were I an admin a certain two people would be taking a 2 week vacation from these boards.

Talking about banning people is against the CoC. Pretending to have the authority of an ORC is also against the CoC. You're better off not mentining stuff like that around here.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

Talking about banning people is against the CoC. Pretending to have the authority of an ORC is also against the CoC. You're better off not mentining stuff like that around here.

Where did I say I was, specify.

Where did I say I was, specify.

Where did you say what?

This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
My apologies to the general audience of this forum, but a pair of small children decided to have a giggle with my original post. They did not take it seriously, one did not understand why it was posted in the "Off-Topic" forum despite clear and succinct explanations, and both have used what they see as a golden opportunity to "bust a gut" as the old saying goes.

As another saying goes, "In need of parental supervision."

In any case I won't be reading their blather anymore.
I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape. I merely explained to you that your thread would have been better served being started in another section. the cat gave you two very good options. While you may think this is the place for your threads, it really isn't. There are other parts of the forums where people who are interested in discussing your topics are more likely to see it and respond to it. Here? Not so much. Sure, some people here play roleplaying games, but that's not why they post in the OTT. They go off to other parts and post there.

No need to be so upset. You just need to learn how to take constructive criticism. Life will be much better for you. 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
You need to understand this is not the place for discussions about RPGs. 

Do you understand what I am talking about?
To Troll:

Oh I understand what you're saying, that there is a forum for roleplaying games in general. I'm not talking about roleplaying games in general, but roleplaying games as an idea, a topic, a meme. I'm not talking about roleplaying games as objects, as physical things, I'm talking about roleplaying games the trope. Not tropes in RPGs, but the RPG as trope. Are you getting some idea as to why that would be off-topic in RPG General?

There is more to the world than is expressed of in your philosophy, or so one Billy Shakespeare is reported to have said.

Yes, wheter you are talking about a specific RPG or the concept of RPGs, this ain't the place to do so. You won't get any responses.

Ojn a side note, considerable advancements have been done since Plato. 

Ah, I see, things must be put in their proper place, regardless of whether or not it actually fits there. Thus we get people who insist that fungi are properly placed with plants, despite the fact that genetics have conclusively shown that fungi are more closely related to animals than they are plants. (It's called an analogy, Homicidal Squirrel, you'll learn about such things in high school.)

Thus you insist that an abstract has to be put in with the concrete, when as far as I can see, RPGs as an abstract really don't fit in with RPGs as concrete items. A matter of conflating idea with thing. RPG General is for RPGs as real things, Off-Topic is for, among other things, RPGs as ideas.

Yes, wheter you are talking about a specific RPG or the concept of RPGs, this ain't the place to do so. You won't get any responses.

Ojn a side note, considerable advancements have been done since Plato. 

Ah, I see, things must be put in their proper place, regardless of whether or not it actually fits there. Thus we get people who insist that fungi are properly placed with plants, despite the fact that genetics have conclusively shown that fungi are more closely related to animals than they are plants. (It's called an analogy, Homicidal Squirrel, you'll learn about such things in high school.)

Thus you insist that an abstract has to be put in with the concrete, when as far as I can see, RPGs as an abstract really don't fit in with RPGs as concrete items. A matter of conflating idea with thing. RPG General is for RPGs as real things, Off-Topic is for, among other things, RPGs as ideas.

Reading fail. You responded to Fascist_Cat, not me. You should try and pay attention more.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Sign In to post comments